main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I don't remember any ramming. There was an exploding starhawk which's debris hit a lot of stuff, but I forget if it hit the ravager at all

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Correction:

Yes, Executor's was rammed by an A-wing.

Razor's Kiss was sabotaged and subsequently blown apart by the Solo Fleet (Falynn died destroying the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Implacable a book earlier).

Lusankya did ram the Worldship at Borleias. Wedge wasn't directly responsible but a young commander called Eldo Davip.

And Ravager was disabled and subsequently pulled out of orbit by the Starhawk battleship Concord's powerful tractor beam.

You also missed Iron Fist taking a torpedo to the bridge, the fates of the Whelm, Aggressor and several other Star Dreadnoughts that have shown up over the years. About the only two Dreadnoughts known to avoid any fates were Megador and Guardian.

Vialco and vncredleader like this.
  3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Technically the Lusankya was already overwhelmed by torpedoes at Thyferra, but the Rogues were holding back a bit because they were afraid there might still be Rebel prisoners on board. By the time the ship was surrendered, it didn't have much of a chance.

The Warfare guide said that during the Dark Empire multiple dreadnoughts were deployed but also destroyed during the Imperial civil war. And even Iron Fist was constantly avoiding direct engagements with Han Solo's fleet. Iron Fist was much more powerful than Mon Remonda but if Han could get his fleet in one place fast enough then they could bring it down.

I forget which book, but old EU had a quote about SSDs being brought down by lots of smaller ships but at high cost of lives. The Executor was disabled by that A-wing crashing into the bridge, and the engines being damaged, but most SSDs usually aren't quite so close to something that has its own gravity well, which contributed to its destruction.

The Reaper was destroyed during the Orinda Campaign, by Admiral A'baht, during what was presumably a fleet battle. Alas that campaign never had a really detailed history before the reboot.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Executor was also bombarded by capital ships. We even see one fire a huge blast that pulverizes a Star Destroyer right when he says to "Concentrate all your fire on that Super Star Destroyer".

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I love the Lady G. My favourite of all the Empire's SSD's. She was the only one with a really noble name and ended up doing some real good in the Galaxy once the NR took her from Drommel.

[​IMG]

The name thing really strikes me as interesting. Almost all Star Destroyers have a sinister name of some sort.

Executor
    Reaper
    Lusankya
    Razor's Kiss (What an absurd name for an SSD. With a name like that she deserved to be destroyed)
    Aggressor
    Ravager

All of these are evil-sounding names or describe a sinister purpose. But Guardian isn't an evil purpose. A Guardian protects and defends. Maybe it's not a coincidence that the Lady G was the only Executor-class to survive the numerous galactic wars.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am sooooo on board with a 1900m Home One. It's nearly the 2200m figure that Saxton had on the low end (which I've always been a proponent of), plus it gives the class the bulk that we all saw in ROTJ. I for one am extremely encouraged by this! I'm hoping we get to see the vessel in Rebels Season 4. The fact that they already created the visual asset is a good sign. ;)

--Adm. Nick

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Except for Executor, Lusankya, and Razor's Kiss, the other ships all had names of British and American warships, including Guardian.

I would argue that Executor is pretty neutral. It is essentially someone who in modern times carries out the will of a deceased person. (though in general, whenever you carry out a task, you are getting that thing done and executing it)

However, Meriam Webster does mention that the obsolete definition for executor is executioner which is probably why it's never been used as a name for a warship. Then again, neither has executioner.

Considering that that in Sith philosophy the Sith Master is a walking dead man, both definitions for Executor seem pretty apt for Vader's flagship.

King of Alsakan and Vialco like this.
  8. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Is there any evidence that when the Executor was named, it was indeed intended in the person-dishing-out-death executioner sense instead of the executing tasks sense?

Nickname320 and Snafu55 like this.
  9. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014

I always assumed that Executor was named in the sense of "the person carrying out another's will" because of Tarkin's Executrix. I doubt (though I could VERY easily be wrong) that 'executrix' would ever be used to refer to a female executioner since 'executioner' seems pretty gender neutral. Thus, if Tarkin's Executrix refers to a female who carries out the will of another person (reasonable, considering that ships are commonly named in the female sense), I would think that the later Executor would be named to complement the already-in-service Executrix.

Of course, this has just been my thought process for the last couple years and doesn't have any direct evidence to back it up. I just don't think that the Navy would field an ISD with one name, then build an SSD with a masculine version of the same name and intend the two names to denote different things.

vncredleader likes this.
  10. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

I will never get used to that being the way people know Wedge.

I may have mentioned this before, but Ravager's position at Jakku points to something that makes logical sense: Executors probably don't like fighting with a lot of large ships beneath them. The hangers and engines create BIG blind spots. Positioning the ship at the bottom of the formation meant the only Rebel ships to reach the Ravager's squishy underbelly would be on a one-way trip dirtside anyway.

Zeta1127 and vncredleader like this.
  11. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Speaking of over the top evil Imperial ship names, one of the Star Destroyers at Scarif was named the Persecutor. At least other evil sounding names (like Devastator, Intimidator, Conqueror, or Ravager) sound badass, or like they could be good things in the context of defeating a terrible enemy. But the dictionary definition of persecution is "hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs". If you are "persecuting" someone, then by definition they do not deserve it. They might as well have called the ship the Civilian Eater or the Orphan Stomper.

Vialco, Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    If that isn't the name of Snoke's flagship I will walk out of the theater. Here's a game: come up with the most totally not evil name for a ship.

The collateral damagizer

Innocence killer

and of course: Satan's backscratcher

13. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014

I'll go ahead and throw the Star Destroyer Kitten Mill into the mix. :D And for Snoke's Star Destroyer, maybe the
    Giant Flying Wing of Murder (based on those leaks we've been hearing about its design, I'd say it's a fair bet...).

I've always loved the names of Imperial ships; SD names like Chimaera, Hyrda, and Lusankya have stuck with me since I first read them on the page. I do feel like new Canon ship names are getting a bit unimaginative, though; I kinda rolled my eyes at "Rebel Rising's" Authority and the recent "On the Front Lines" preview page's
    Interdictor cruiser Glaciater.
    Don't get me wrong, Canon has provided some awesome names (the ISDs Scythe and Judicator) and Legends definitely has some duds (never a fan of the Doomgiver or Pellaeon's Right to Rule), but my overall impression is that Imperial ships are tending towards more simplistic "bad guy" words while more neutral/positively connotative names are reserved for Rebellion/New Republic ships. I might be wrong, though - I could just spooked by some of the stuff I've seen in recent lit.

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  14. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014
    Double Post

15. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I happen to like the SSD name 'Giant-Flying-Wing-Of-Murder'. Especially if it 'eats' those Mon Cal 'flying-metal-pickle' ships for breakfast, lunch and supper. Just saying...[face_devil]

16. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I happen to like the SSD name 'Giant-Flying-Wing-Of-Murder'. Especially if it 'eats' those Mon Cal 'flying-metal-pickle' ships for breakfast, lunch and supper. Just saying...[face_devil]

17. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    With over 25,000 SDs to name, I'd imagine the list of intimidating names runs out pretty fast.....

.....I wonder what the Latin translations for "talks loudly during the movie" and "leaves the toilet seat up" are......because you know two ISDs have those names.

18. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
  19. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    "The Special Hell"

21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Agonizer
    Venom
    Avarice
    Virulence
    Corrupter
    Tyrant
    Direption

All very evil names, describing cruel actions or sins, or evil beings.But there are other names that are quite neutral, or even positive.

Decisive
    Reckoning
    Aspiration
    Triumph
    Stalwart
    Relentless
    Invincible
    Indomitable

These names on the other hand are pretty neutral. Decisive is actually a good quality. Triumph is a good action. Being stalwart is admirable. And a reckoning doesn't always have to be bad. That last one was Delak Krennel's flagship, so it's one of my favorites.

The New Republic had a habit of naming it's warships after famous and beloved public figures.

Mon Mothma
    Bail Organa
    Elegos A'kla
    Ob-Wan
    Admiral Ackbar

And the most infamous of them all, the Anakin Solo.

JediBatman and Nickname320 like this.
  22. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Double Post

vncredleader likes this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I have a question:

We all know that the wingless Libertys are now MC80A Star Cruisers. Why does everyone still call them wingless Libertys?

24. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I have a question:

We all know that the wingless Libertys are now MC80A Star Cruisers. Why does everyone still call them wingless Libertys?

25. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I'm rereading Heir to the Empire, and found that Pellaeon wanted to retreat the Chimaera an ISD in the face of 4 Elomin attack frigates. Now what kind of frigates are they that can take on an ISD? Even 4 of them? It can't be the Nebulon B axe shaped frigates can it?

26. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Because calling them wingless liberties gives the mental image of flying pickles with wings next to flying pickles without wings

27. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think WEG identified them as Assault Frigates.

28. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No, they're Assault Frigates - modified Dreadnaught cruisers.

29. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I think of them as Freedom class. Complements Liberty class. "Wingless Liberty" is an uninspired, unthinking, unresearched taking of those ships for granted. The ILM "Freedom" studio scale model was built before, and populates the screen more than, the Liberty model, which was a permanent addition and repainting over top of the "Freedom". Modern reconstructed contours of this "Freedom" class, such as can be found at Shapeways, do not perfectly reflects its shape. Not its waterline, at least. The pace setters that determine names for ships like these should have, years ago, given this class a name that is worthy of this class.

In researching BR, I discovered how ILM could have made the two separate shots that produce two different renditions of the BR. The sharp conventional white colored one had its dorsal and ventral twin turrets removed, its communication dish removed, was lit in white light from aft port dorsal, and was photographed from slightly to port of its heading. The image we see was not deliberately obfuscated by rephotographing. The deliberately blurred tan colored one had its twin turrets intact, but not its communications dish, it was lit in reddish filters from the starboard side, about midships, and it was photographed from slightly to starboard of its heading. The image we see is at least a photograph of a photograph, possibly involving additional red filters, to deliberately soften those crisp edges, and is more likely at least two re-photographings, to the point that those engines have completely changed their figure and size relation to the hammerhead, which has not suffered much size loss. So I am now utterly satisfied that ILM has not been holding out on anyone with an unrevealed corvette class ship that was "like" the BR. Neither of these was an anatomically complete BR, and they are not together anatomically identical. Therefore there are three Corellian corvette ship subclasses, before one even gets to gunships.

30. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014

I agree with your connotative assessments - I recognize most of those names from the golden days of ship naming :D It's been a long time since I've heard the Elegos A'kla mentioned.

The trend I mentioned (again, trend - exceptions certainly exist) refers to what I think is happening currently in the new Canon. I loved the names that originated in Legends, and thus, most of those names you listed. Imperial ships used to be a good balance of 'powerful-neutral' and 'bad guy' names; I just see most of the new Canon Star Destroyers tending toward the latter and/or unimaginative names. Just my perspective, though. I'd rather have the re-canonization of an old name than a boring fresh one.

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  31. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014
    Double Post

32. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    There has been a lot of accidental DPing ever since the server change. Is anyone else experiencing some lag anytime they press "post reply"? I have though normally it just times out though it seems others are having that issue cause the other result is often clicking again and it getting unstuck making two posts.

Edit: so it took me like 5 refreshes and leaving the page to make this post and even then i had no idea it worked till a few min later. Anyone else having issues with posting?

Nickname320 likes this.