main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As someone noted in the past, Draven actually looks uncannily like Rebellion's depiction of Drayson. And they've even got a similar ruthless pragmatism thing going on...

Cracian_Thumper and vncredleader like this.
  2. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    That was actually my initial thought upon seeing the Rogue One teaser. "Is that...Drayson?"

Daneira likes this.
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Wouldn't it be Harkin Dyson?

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Isn't that the guy who built Skynet and then helped try to destroy it?

5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    All I could find is a private collector from Tyrants Test

Vialco likes this.
  6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    You know, I've said this before. But I seriously doubt that most Star Destroyers carry 72 TIE Fighters. That may the capacity they have, but very few actually carry such numbers. Look at the two Destroyers at Scarif. They didn't launch a single TIE, they all came from the Shield Gate. The Devastator doesn't launch any fighters at Scarif or at Tatooine. The two destroyers chasing the Ghost in Secret Cargo don't launch a single fighter. TIE's must be scarce in the Imperial Navy.

Snafu55 likes this.
  7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I assume it just has to do with the fact that it costs money to have a TIE model flying around and can be distracting or something else to pay attention to in editing when you can just have the ISD be the threat. As for Scarif I assume they did not deploy cause the gate was so the ISDs held off in case they where needed for a second wave or something.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Typical Imperial overconfidence. The Battle of Yavin onscreen only had 9 TIES from the Death Star, including Vader, but must have held thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  9. slybrarian

slybrarian Jedi Knight

Mar 26, 2017
    It can take a lot of time to scramble fighters. The Star Destroyers at Scarif (and in various Rebels episodes) likely launched their alert fighters, but the rest would need to be fueled, armed, and manned. It can take about five minutes to launch a modern fighter that's ready and waiting to go as part of a quick response force, after which getting up more can take a lot longer. Unless there's reason to expect a battle in the immediate future no one keeps an entire air wing ready because of the strain on manpower and machinery of doing so.

10. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Obviously "so the writers can give the heroes a fighting chance" is part of the reason, but it is true that the more fighters you have out at once, the easier it is for them to get in each other's way. So they should probably only be deployed for big fleet battles and not just one little freight.

Vialco and vncredleader like this.
  11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    But deploy a few. All ships should have one squadron that's always ready for rapid response. The two Star Destroyers get taken out at Scarif because the Y-Wings are able to take a clear disabling shot.

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    why would the shield generator be destroyed unless a) the shields were overwhelmed and the killing the generator is redundant.
    or the shield generator is somehow outside of the shield area, which also doesn' t make sense.

13. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Uh, what?

Daneira likes this.
  14. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Uh, what?

Daneira likes this.
  15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    sorry, my wording may be confusing, I was talking about in the movies the Executor's shield was destroyed by an A wing. Why should it be destroyed if the shields were up?

16. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Shields were weakened by Rebel cruisers, this allowed A-wing fighters to punch through weakened shields to disable the local bridge deflector domes, which permitted Arvel Crynyd's sacrifice to penetrate the bridge and cause an internal explosion chain reaction that downed the Executor. Hope that helps.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I've long been on the side that making those things shield generators was a mistake. It's been claimed that they were originally meant as "radar domes", and their being destroyed was a *sign*, not the cause, of the shields going down. I feel like that's a little more sensible.

18. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    in canon I think they've been retconned to be both local shield generators AND communication/sensor arrays

vncredleader likes this.
  19. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    in canon I think they've been retconned to be both local shield generators AND communication/sensor arrays

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I imagined as a kid that a shield generator could not protect itself, and it made sense to me, particularly looking at the way the shield generator at Endor is portrayed in the hologram, projecting outwards to the Death Star in a funnel shape.

Even now...a shield may be energy, but it still has enough presence to stop physical objects, and conforms to the shape of the projected vehicle - in short, it has structure, so it still makes sense to me that the shield generator can be a structural weakness - that damage to the shield next to the generator is more likely to cause a backlash and fry the generator.

Star_Desperado likes this.
  21. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015

I also found that most star destroyers unless they're in an "invasion" mode don't carry a full capacity of tie fighter's, maybe 2-3 squadrons. As we saw in the clone wars Republic Venator Class Star Destroyers did not always come fully prepared with starfighters or landing craft depending on the mission. If say they were invading the rebel base of Hoth or on Atollon then that invasion fleet would be fully loaded with tie's and landing craft and vehicles. If you have ISD's just guarding a hyperspace lane or the shield gate, it would be a waste of money and resources to have them fully stocked with more starfighters and vehicles to stop possibly "local trouble."

Overconfidence and simple lack of budget does play a gigantic part into this to. They don't want or have the money to animate too many tie's in a scene. Also, the empire is overconfident as it is. They underestimate the rebels at every turn, so it is not surprising that they would only send perhaps one squadron from their star destroyer to attack an attack rebel ship or fleet. This would explain why the imperials only send 9 starfighters at Yavin and only several at Hoth after the Millennium Falcon.

I do believe the 2 ISD's at Scariff did send out tie's. We know there were already some tie's engaging the rebel fleet before the shield gate send out it's full complement of them after Gold Squadron went in for it's attack run. I personally think at least some of those Tie's came from those 2 ISD's. Also, as I said before I find this a giant case of ISD's not being stocked at all with starfighters or vehicles and sheer overconfidence from Admiral Gorin.

Vialco and vncredleader like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That retcon (in the case of the Executor's shield generators) is pretty old - it goes back to 2004 and Inside the Worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy. It was translated to the newcanon with the reprint of Complete Locations.

23. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    el_mel likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It would be great if Mel got brought into the Lucasfilm circle and become a contributor to what's official.

25. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    I`m kinda stupid, and don`t know how to edit image here (it is to hard for me)) ), so can i give a link?

26. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    I`m kinda stupid, and don`t know how to edit image here (it is to hard for me)) ), so can i give a link?

27. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

Easiest way is to copy-paste, then put (img) (/img) around it - but with square brackets [ ] [ / ]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.