main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    We do know that ships affiliated with the Royal House of Alderaan (can) have the prefix RHA (per On the Front Lines).

King of Alsakan and vncredleader like this.
  2. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    There's a few - from memory, the Consonance (the Hammerhead that escaped at Scarif), the Glaciate (an Interdictor at Jakku). The Venator Guarlara was brought back from Legends at Coruscant. I've not got a copy of the book yet - so just what I've picked up online.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Being that we're starting over from scratch, I would like someone to explain why Alderaan, one of the jewels of the Core Worlds, is using Corellian ships instead of their own even during the Clone Wars. Did Alderaan or the Royal House own a share of CEC?

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I wish we were getting some specific classes of troop carriers akin to modern day LHAs and LPDs. Something that would transport maybe a battalion of troops with the means of putting them on a planet and a maybe a squadron of fighters for air support. Frankly...for this small of a force the Acclamator is too big.

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Acclamator was envisioned as a amphibious assault ship in the ICS, carrying troops and SW helicopters.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not every world is a shipbuilding power, nor should they be. Alderaan is much better served by purchasing state of the art ships from a fellow Core base Republic member than investing capital into designing their own warships and constructing shipyards.

--Adm. Nick

7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    But 16,000 troops...That is a full division of troops....that is basically taking all of Camp Pendleton's infantry units and putting them on one ship. I am looking for something to more realistically carry smaller sized units and their support.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Sounds like a loadout for a Strike cruiser.

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    [​IMG]

It's true. All of it.

10. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    You have to remember this is on a galactic scale. While an assault ship with 2,000 troops may be perfectly suitable for operations on our world, it may be that a 16,000 strong unit is the minimum for operations on a planet. The scale is going to be much different than what we are used to in real life.

11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, the writers of its profile tried to think of the scale of the warfare. 16000 troops isn't enough to secure a decent-sized city here on Earth, it's not going to be enough to hold a cosmopolitan Earth-sized planet. At least deploying rapidly in one place through its complement of gunships, you can get good coverage of an area.

For smaller troopships, there's both the TIE Lander, Lambda, Theta, Zeta, Sentinel, Delta-class transport and Delta-class shuttle for the Empire, Nu-class, CR20 and CR25 for the Republic, U-wing, GR75, CSS and appropriated LAATs for the Rebels, Gozanti, Trident, Sheathipede, Maxillipede, Droch, Class type B for the Separatists, Resistance transport for the Resistance and AAL for the First Order.

Snafu55 and King of Alsakan like this.
  12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    @Tzizvvt78 @Sarchet

I am thinking more along the lines of Twilight Company.....I find it unrealistic that they have the whole company of troops on a CR90 along with all their drop ships.

And 16,000 Marines...with air support and logistics...could very well take a major city.

@AdmiralWesJanson

I could see a Strike-class being repurposed for that. Along with a couple of support ships you could have an Astrophibious Strike Group.

13. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    As both GR-75s and Pelta-class Frigates are described as being modular, I can see them both being used to transport several hundred troops or a couple of attack groups of vehicles if necessary. We only really hear of Peltas being used at medical frigates in the Clone Wars, but the fact that Phoenix Home is outfitted as a carrier by the embryonic Phoenix Squadron suggests that using them to transport troops or vehicles wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Snafu55 and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  14. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    When I saw that new TIE all I thought was "Looks like a Interceptor squinting. Wait, what will pilots this new squint? The super-squint?"

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    It is a bit of a shame that we don't see more variety in terms of the size and scale of troop transports for different Army configurations, although that's part of the (comparative, at least compared to the Navy) neglect of ground pounder dorkery more broadly. WEG had some interesting ships in Legends that unfortunately never got picked up elsewhere. The Empire had the Evakmar-KDY transport, which was capable of transporting an entire Imperial Army corps and their equipment, which was considered the most practical configuration for a planetary occupation. The Rebellion also had the Kleeque-class transport, which they reconfigured to house a full Alliance Army regiment and their equipment. I would have loved to have seen either of them in an actual story.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  16. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Hey guys, first time posting in this section of the forum! Ships are definitely what got me into Star Wars with the X-Wing pc game back in the 90s, and I obsess over everything about them. Currently one of the things I'm looking forward the most in TLJ is the rumored Snoke's SSD... Reading Empire's End, I think it's safe to assume it will be the Eclipse but redesigned?

What are everybody's expectations on the ship? I myself can't wait!

17. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Chris0013 I pictured Twilight Company as having perhaps three hundred troops plus a small crew. If they are triple or even quadruple bunks that's not unreasonable I think. The dropships threw me for a loop, but I think we can hand wave that because you couldn't fit even one U-wing into a CR-90. We can assume the author is mistaken and that the dropships are actually docked to the outside, like we see A-wings docked in Rebels.

Snafu55 likes this.
  18. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Xael
    I think the Eclipse Rae Sloane found at the end of the aftermath trilogy is just a standard SSD like the Executor (I think) and rumors have circulated about Snoke's ship being a black bat-like flying-wing type cruiser, but those are rumors and you always gotta take those with a grain of salt. And in the case of Star Wars rumors, you should probably take the whole salt shaker.

Xael likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or it could be like some Legends CR-90s - a custom variant.

The FarStar, for example, was pretty heavily modified:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/FarStar

20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    IRL..a company is about 150 or so troops. So that is the number I am going with for unit size. However the amount of dropships/troop shuttles for that many would be determined by how many troops each one can take. A Nu-class shuttle from TCW carries 30. A U-Wing says 8....but looking at the R1 visual dictionary I could see it carrying a crew of 5 (pilot, co-pilot, comm/engineer/etc just behind the pilot, 2 door gunners) then 13 troops. So you are no just dealing with the crew of the ship and troops...but also crews for each dropship. Unless you are basically putting a dozen external mountings on a CR90...effectively covering a large amount of the surface....I just can't see it.

I would think that should be something clarified in the book.

21. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    [​IMG]
    any ideas what it is in the red circle.By the way in this concept there are a lot of unfimiliar mon-cala design ships,for me,at least.

22. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
  23. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Watched ROGUE ONE again yesterday. Gave me a good reminder about how tough ISD's are. Vader's ship took a high-speed collision from a Neb-B without even changing course or showing visible damage.

Snafu55 likes this.
  24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait it took a Nebulon? I saw a GR-75 hit it

JediBatman likes this.
  25. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, if memory serves, only the GR-75 directly collides with the Devastator. That said, the first time I watched RO in the cinema, I was convinced that all the vessels that jumped into hyperspace ended up crashing into the Devastator, and that that beast had just casually shrugged off multiple faster-than-light collisions like it was nothing. I was in complete awe... until I watched it a second time and realised that the explosion was just from a single transport, and all the other vessels had in fact escaped. :p

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  26. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well it has a big explosion. Did they load those GRs with dynamite?

Cracian_Thumper likes this.