main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

More likely the power core detonated.

2. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    It's not that impressive an explosion imo.

[​IMG]

vncredleader and JediBatman like this.
  3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Impressive in the sense of it being stunning cinematic visuals, yes. But there's nothing to make me think the transport is souped up or filled with dynamite.

Though I think the ROTJ novelization said that some transports were filled with explosives, explaining what unarmed transports are doing there.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    The novelization did, but it didn't specify which vessels, and even so not all GR75s are unarmed.

JediBatman likes this.
  5. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I may be mistaken. I thought it was a Neb-B. I'll need to watch it again.

If it is a Neb-B, it put the Battle of Attilon in a new light.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

6. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I may be mistaken. I thought it was a Neb-B. I'll need to watch it again.

If it is a Neb-B, it put the Battle of Attilon in a new light.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh wow that is small. I have not watched the film just on my own without doing a commentary since theaters so I guess I remembered the way it looked on the big screen which made it look just insane, though that was likely the zeitgeist cause let's face it who didn't have their heart skip a beat when the Devastator showed up? That was like one of my two "this film is perfect if" requests (the other was the Death Star theme which we kinda got)

Also holy crud imagine being on one of THOSE GR75s. Just fly it into an ISD "This is for saying we are useless!!!!!!!!!!"

JediBatman likes this.
  8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I am sure they had an 'out'. Put on auto pilot and get to the escape pods.

9. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

They were jumping to hyperspace, I doubt that the crew had any time to get to the escape pods before it collided. So I think its sad to assume that 7 - 20 people have just been killed.

10. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I am talking about the novel reference of loading them with explosives for fleet engagements.

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I thought you were referring to Scarif.

Endor I can understand.

12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I am talking about the guys in the ROTJ novelization. Obviously the guys in RO had no chance to dodge. I mean in ROTJ imagine flying a ship that is there specifically to be blown up?

Edit: oh we are talking the same thing. Yeah that makes sense. now I wanna see that. Then again it would still suck cause GRs are not meant to take lots of punishment so one shot makes it through and it will likely explode before they can get to the pods. It would give the ships other than fighters something to do during Endor. My one issue with that battle is that the capital ships do almost nothing and the frigates do utterly nothing.

13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Sneak up behind them and ram the engines...with the hull full of unstable explosives....after you have abandoned ship of course.

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah I get that. My point is that it is a very risky job cause it the hull is hit hard enough those explosions could blow the whole ship up. Just cause there is a way for the plan to work without flaw does not mean it is flawless.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm pretty sure nothing actually CRASHES into the Devastator outright. Even the GR-75 just gets destroyed by fire at close range.

16. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm pretty sure nothing actually CRASHES into the Devastator outright. Even the GR-75 just gets destroyed by fire at close range.

17. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    nah the GR75 crunches in on it then the debris gets pushed out of the way as it moves on

18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Shields full front....not actual ship to ship contact but the GR75 impacts the shields??

Snafu55 likes this.
  19. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Looks a lot like ship to ship contact to me.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Definitely a collision. Then the turbolasers shred the Nebulon-B that is shielding the Profundity. Would be interesting to go through shot-by-shot to work out what other ships are left - and get confirmation of whether or not they also managed to escape. Vader seemed to know to target the Profundity (he's aware of where the plans were transmitted to), so perhaps that bought time for the other vessels to escape off-screen.

Snafu55 likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    But looking at your second screencap, doesn't that look a lot like turbolaser fire about to hit? I guess I could see an argument for "impacted on the shields," but it really doesn't look like a physical collision.

22. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Vader probably just attacked the biggest vessel, obviously the flagship. Also I find it interesting that the Devastator rakes the Nebulon with laser fire back and forth along the lateral hull, but the place the Neb actually crumples is at the base of the neck as it expands to the frontal hull, as opposed to the supposed torsional "weak spot" that ought to be center of the spar. Honestly it's impressive it lasted the 4 or 5 seconds it did under the full creeping barrage of an ISD.

Vialco, Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah that Nebulon held in there impressively well. I wanna know what the crew was thinking, I mean they where going to die blocking another ship that was also gonna die cause it was covering for another ship. Obviously they got people out but still someone had to stay back. Kinda was a short story in their heads

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    We see a trio of CR90's, two GR75's, and a single Hammerhead escape in the jump scene. Now, it's entirely possible more ships escaped. We only see a GR75, a Neb-B, and the Profundity actually lost. In the screen shots above, it's possible that the one Dornean gunship on the right side of the screen jumps. Ditto the handful of remaining corvettes around the Profundity. Considering how quick that scene is and how close everything was to jumping, I'd wager more warships that the six noted above escape.

--Adm. Nick

25. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    [Duplicate post]

26. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017

Even if the transport was hit by turbolaser fire, it would have run into the *Devastator* from sheer inertia.

In other news, Super Graphic gives ship speeds (it looks like most of these were taken from the old X-Wing series):
    (MGLT - Megalights per Hour)
    1. Solar Sailor - 27
    2. Imperial Shuttle - 54
    3. Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, ISD, Home One - 60
    4. Slave I, Separatist Dreadnought, Y-Wing, Imperial Landing Craft (Sentinel-Cladd) - 70 MGLT
    5. Millenium Falcon - 75
    6. CR-90 Corvette - 81
    7. ARC-170, X-Wing - 100
    8. TIE Advanced Fight XI - 105
    9. TIE Interceptor - 110
    10. Jedi Interceptor - 118
    11. A-Wing Starfighter - 120

27. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Does the book says actually say megalight or just MGLT?