main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Would that not imply twelve-foot-tall stormtroopers, though? :p

Seriously, the Falcon's size is famously inconsistent, and I'm not sure if the proportions of the hangar aperture in the VFX shot match up well - you might have to imagine that the shot is seen from an angle through the aperture to retain consistent proportions. :p

But I'm just replying quickly, so all I'm going to say for now is that the stormtroopers in the physical set were the scaling yardstick I used, as the option that seemed least problematic to me... [face_peace]

Or they just made the number up. :p

In the absence of evidence to show where the numbers came from one way or another, the thing that seems important to me is that we now have three sizes of A-wing - the original movie version, which seems to be around 6m based on both cockpit set and VFX model, the WEG / REBELS type, which is 9.6m, and the Mark II, which is now established at 7.6m.

IMHO, the DROIDS two-seater is compatible with the "movie" size, lengthening the cockpit rather than the hull (and this shares the "movie" guns, unlike either the REBELS version or the Mark II), but that's not really a huge issue - you could certainly argue for size-compatibility with the WEG / REBELS type, too. :p

What we do with all that is another question altogether. Under the old canon rules, I'd've supported retaining the 9.6m size and wiggling the on-screen size, but now that we have effectively three sizes of A-wing, and retcons are part of the order of business, I'm easier with the idea of multiple types...

Agreed. The evidence for the size and proportions of the ISD VFX models isn't as solid as I'd like, which is part of why I've not presented my thoughts on ISD sizes yet - I'm still looking for better scaling evidence for a lot of things...

Bridge-tower scaling, for the most part, although there's some comparative scaling going on as well (I still probably need to look at the hangar trench more closely, but the fact that the Profundity scales to ~600m based on the size of Raddus is relevant, for example :p ). Based on ANH alone, I'd've been tempted to push the "ISD-I" larger (a 1.6km "ISD-I", a 900m "ISD-II" and an Ex ten times the size of an "ISD-II" seems like an entirely credible reading of the OT VFX), but the CGI version seems to contradict that...

I would be curious to know what pre-WEG evidence there is for the idea that the two types we see in the movies are both supposed to be the same size, and that size is 1.6km long - beyond an assumed identification with the WEG "ISD-I" and "ISD-II", that is?

Now, everyone here knows my enthusiasm for the WEG material, and everyone here knows I love consistency in my STAR WARS, and all other things being equal, I set a relatively low bar for on-screen visual reliability compared with most people in this discussion... but we're in the era of a pick-and-choose reboot, and I'd at least like to make sure we have all our ducks in a row, and properly measured up against each other...

- The Imperial Ewok

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possible example - the fact that in the ion cannon scene, they use both the "ISD-I prop" and the "ISD-II prop" to represent the same ship.

When the Executor arrives at Hoth, it's flanked by two "ISD-I type" ships - both of which have conning towers roughly the size of the Executor's. And From Star Wars to Indiana Jones did say that this was the intent - that the towers be roughly the same size on movie Star Destroyers.

While it's a tight fit, 126m (based on later sources) Blockade Runner is just about compatible with the "in hangar bay" shot being of a 1.6 km Star Destroyer.

In the same way, 34.52m (or 34.37m, or 34.75m) Millennium Falcon on the back of Avenger, is just about compatible with the Avenger being 1.6 km (again, a little fudging comes into play, but only a very little).

Same with "Shuttle leaves Avenger-type" at the start of RoTJ.

I can see why all newcanon sources seem to be sticking with 1.6 km for ISDs in general. No point changing it now.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Straight from NYCC's booth dedicated to TLJ:

[​IMG]

It's even more beautiful than I thought. It's a Flying Fortress for sure, I cannot wait to see squadrons of these in action in the movie. [face_love]

--Adm. Nick

4. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Flying fortress for sure, the Hot Wheels version siting on my desk does not do it justice in comparison.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    tragic double post

6. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Incoming heresy!
    I don't like it. It looks too heavy. I can only imagine it tipping over. The problem is the ventral wing looks bigger or nearly bigger than the body. If it was shorter and/or thinner I'd probably like it a lot.

7. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Are there any other new ships at the NYCC

8. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Oh, that's a lovely bomber. Very reminiscent of WW2 bombers.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    FACPOV has some great little tibdits about the Battle of Yavin, as well as a few references to the fleet. We learn that the remnants of the Rebel Fleet at Scarif do return to Yavin Four. It notes few capital ships (most ships smaller than a light cruiser), plus we learn that the fleet evacuates a lot of the base personnel prior to the battle of Yavin.

Of course, we know thanks to the Princess Leia comic that post-battle that all "Rebel fleets" converge on the base to conduct a full evacuation, with Admiral Ackbar in charge. We still don't have confirmation of Ackbar's whereabouts between Scarif & Yavin, but my gut says he was at Telaris overseeing the building of the fleet and rushing to get as many ships battle ready as possible.

--Adm. Nick

10. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    In the BF2 beta, the MC80 cruiser has a bunch of large (but destructible) dual turbolaser turrets greebled on rather seamlessly considering how conspicuously non-organic they are. All the guns on the CR90 are destructible hardpoints as well, along with the 4 main barbettes on the Arquitens and the dozens of little single turbolaser towers dotting the ISD, again, rather unobtrusively despite their clunky implementation.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It is certainly hard to imagine how it would land

12. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Disney sure hates sticking to launch racks!

vncredleader likes this.
  13. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    the Lego set has the bottom turret fold up and it can stand on the big fin
    that's hardly the best canon source
    also taking screenshots in dice games is absolutely atrocious, but I'll get some to you guys eventually

14. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't see how the turret could possibly fold up. Also standing on the fin seems incredibly dangerous. I have no clue how it lands in a non-hangar environment. Maybe one of the side wings folds down and it lands on it's side.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Any thoughts on the TIE Defender from the Season 4 trailer?

Trailer image
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It looks to me like the wingtip guns may possibly be double-barrelled of equal length, rather than simply being Interceptor guns (second barrel is shorter and doesn't fire) like the TIE Defender Prototype has (it's possible I'm wrong though and that the apparent double-barrel is due to foreshortening - some of the others look different in length).​

TIE Defender Prototype:

And there appear to be new guns, "plugged into" the rectangular slots in between the wingtips. Two are visible in the above image "yellow trim Defender" - and an earlier "red trim Defender" trailer image showed guns on the topmost pylon too:​

Red trim Defender

The Interceptor had the same slots:​

Interceptor

but whatever's mounted in those slots may have had hollow barrels, but it didn't fire. Perhaps both Interceptor and Defender have those "in between the wingtips" slots as hardpoints for optional extra weaponry upgrades?​

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It feels like a lot of the issues you have with the craft could also be applied to the B-Wing.

17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So..that lowest turret...does the gunner get put in there and is stuck there for the duration or is there a ladder well going into the main body??

18. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Double post

19. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Could it be that it also has the gyroscopic functionallty from the B-Wings? Being from the same "make", it would make sense, and the tubular hull would help with that.

20. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Alright here's some shots of the beta. I'm pretty sure there's no NDA for these things now that it's open.
    Imperial Arquitens cruiser detail:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    MC80 Cruiser detail:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    ISD detail:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry for all the hideous UI clutter but it's a pain in the rear enough as it is just to have to open up console and retype that command to take a screenshot in crappy DICE games, I have no idea how to disable the HUD.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Can you post a TIE fighter cockpit view?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    It's pretty much the same as it's been seen everywhere else. The BTL-A4 Y-wing is comfiest anyway. The beta is open, you can download it yourself if you want, I myself really do not want to suffer the dual burden of dealing with awkward screenshot taking in DICE games, and then finagling with imgur and these unfamiliar forum controls.

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Many thanks for the screenshots, the game moves so fast you don't really ever get a chance to really stop and look around. Though I smiled at the thought that while your team was fighting a desperate battle to destroy the ISD and score a victory for good against evil, you took your y-wing on a tourist trip around the MC80. ;)

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  26. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    That Y-Wing is pretty. How long is the Beta open?