main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    The picture is old concept art showing the interdictor of the exact same shape and dimensions as the Rebels version.
    Can't remember if it's Joe Johnston or Nilo Rodis-Jamero concepts for the movies or something for the west-end rpg or something else, all I know is that it's pre-2000.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's early concept art for the Immobilizer. As I've demonstrated, the regular Immobilizer would not look like that from the back, and does not look quite like that on the top. Only the newcanon Interdictor Star Destroyer looks exactly like that.

I've been doing some measurements of the FFG models of the Imperial-class and the Interdictor (and yes, their hangars are exactly the same size, so they are indeed to scale with one another) and it works out as follows.

1mm = 7.619m

1600m ISD = 210mm long (taking into account the excessively blunted bow)

Interdictor = 160mm long = 1219m

Interdictor bridge = 43mm wide = 327.6m wide.

So it turns out that it does roughly match the Arquitens length, after all.

The above correction to the bridge size as 327.6m, puts the window section of the bridge (1/21 of this) as 15.6 m wide. And if it's 1/23 rather than 1/21 (with the "near side being very slightly closer" factor not being needed after all, that would put the bridge section as only 14.24m wide. And if Admiral Titus is standing far enough away from the windows, he doesn't need to be a giant for the bridge scene to work very well.

If you're not talking Titus though, but the guy to his right, closer to the window - then the height ends up being, if the window section really is 6 Officers Wide, 2.37m. Big, but not catastrophically so.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Can I admit to being confused? Wookiepedia lists the Empire as using three interdictor vessels: the CC-7700-class frigate, the Detainer CC-2200-class cruiser, and the Interdictor-class star destroyer. The only class provided with a length is the Interdictor-class star destroyer at 600m, which comes from Star Wars: On the Front Lines.

4. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Oh cool calculations Iron_Lord, I guess my estimate was right, they're just about as big as Venators.

And JABoomer are you sure they're talking about the Interdictor SD? I think the Immobilizer is still canon thanks to the Tarkin book or some such, and is still the same smaller size, but we don't know exactly how it looks, presumably the Legends depiction could be a pre-CW model?

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't actually find any references to Interdictors in On The Front Lines. The source for them being at Endor is jasonfry 's The Levers of Power - and it doesn't say what class they are.

The source for Immobilizers being no longer in production, and being replaced by Star Destroyers with gravity well projectors, is Heir to the Jedi.

I think somebody's being a bit too quick to edit Wookieepedia - we still have good reason to believe that the Immobilizer-418 is a different class from the Rebels Interdictor Star Destroyer.

But apparently a tweet from Matt Martin, has lead to people merging them - possibly unnecessarily:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_Star_Destroyer/Canon

EDIT: I've just rechecked, and it's the Jakku section, not the Endor section, that has them boarding a 600m Immobilizer 418 class cruiser.

Given that 600m is completely incompatible with all Rebels scenes of Interdictors (at least as incompatible, if not more so, as 8km SSDs were with all movie scenes alongside ISDs)- its safe to say that Rebels Interdictors are not the same class and that Matt Martin just misunderstood.

Another good reason to treat tweets with caution. Especially when the trivia gallery for the episode itself, makes it crystal clear that they are vastly larger than the Legends ships:

http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels/stealth-strike-trivia-gallery

6. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Yes, all canon. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor_cruiser

So does that not introduce a 4th class of interdictor into the Imperial fleet, the Immobilizer 418-class?

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It should. For some reason, at the moment, Matt Martin of the Story Group is under the impression that Rebels Interdictor Star Destroyers and 600m Immobilizer 418-class cruisers, are the same thing. Hopefully this will be corrected in short order.

Jedi Knight Fett and JABoomer like this.
  8. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
  9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    thanks Iron_lord. I was using the guy closest to the front to the right of screen to measure the windows. It's certainly not as bad as I originally thought, I was thinking they would end up 9 or 10 feet tall lol. I'm now starting to think that the bridge of the Immobilizer 418 was actually too small for a 600 m long, 300 m wide ship. Also now that I can see that the Rebels Interdictor and legends Immobilizer 418 are visually different, I don't really have a problem with it anymore.
    I kind of wish they hadn't called it a Star Destroyer though, I would have gone with Super Interdictor.

I still have a problem with how it was used like a tractor beam though. That was stupid.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Or Star Interdictor.

I've forgotten the details of the episode, and whether it was specifically the gravity wells that reeled in the Rebel ships. Presumably interdiction ships would have massive tractor beam projectors along with the gravity wells to help capture vessels.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

I thought the fanon TIE Fighter video did a great job with an Interdictor using its generators like a reverse tractor beam - repelling missiles:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebVideo/TIEFighterShortFilm

So Rebels reversing this, with them being used more like regular tractors, didn't bother me, even if in both Stealth Strike and Heir to the Jedi, it ended up with negative results for the Imperials.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Eh, that was my least favorite part of that video.

13. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I think the interdictor repelling missiles was inspired by Empire at War.

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So I just finished reading up X-wing: Wraith Squadron and the rebels capture a CR90 corvette and turn it into a mini carrier. But looking at the ship, and the cross section, I can't determine where the holds are and how the ship can possibly hold 4 TIEs or in the case of the novel, 12 X-wings. I know the Night Caller is a modified corvette model, but just really confused on this point. Any ideas?

vncredleader likes this.
  15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah that always confused me when i read it

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wait, was the entire squadron seriously docked at once? I never really pictured it that way.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Pretty much. I think there's 1-2 X-wings that aren't used for various reasons (the squadron isn't full strength for most of the novel) but all the X-wings launch during the main attacks. They're described as being packed in very tight and they have to be careful when launching. I imagine that they were stacked on top of each other?

19. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    IIRC...they carried 9 in racks built in the hold below the cockpit, 2 in the upper vehicle hold that on the cross section was Leia's suite, and then exterior mounted the captured TIEs where the lower escape pods are.

Daneira and redxavier like this.
  20. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Is there a good reason the author couldn't just use one of the dozens of ships actually capable of carrying fighters instead of opting for the iconic and familiar CR90?

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Regarding the new Rebels episode:
    Is the Imperial freighter here a new ship or just something I failed to recognize?

22. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think a lot of the authors try to tie their stories into recognizable ships from the movies.

23. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    In their defense it should be said that with the "WEG style" CR90 it is - or was - a lot more plausible.

Comparison pic

So the smaller corvette depicted here is the CR70, but it pretty much looks the same as the "WEG style" CR90, which was used for example in the video games Empire at War and X-Wing Alliance. But despite the differences in form, it was still usually described as 150 meters long. So if you stretch this ship to 150 meters, you get a ship that is actually much more voluminous than the "real" CR90. The WEG cross section even shows many more decks than for instance the Blueprints or Incredible Cross Sections, so putting that many fighters in such a large vessel should not be that difficult.

24. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    double post

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'd like to know this too. It looked new to me, but knowing Rebels, it's from a 70s Kenner toy or some old WEG sourcebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'd like to know this too. It looked new to me, but knowing Rebels, it's from a 70s Kenner toy or some old WEG sourcebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk