main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    If anybody has got a good computer and VR set now would be a good time to take high-quality screenshots of Droid Repair Bay, since it's on Steam.

2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Don't say I didn't tell you so.

3. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Don't be so quick to trust a visual dictionary as the end-all, be-all of the movie's contents.

The Rogue One Visual Guide contains numerous contradictions and errors from the movie, and insinuations based on initial drafts and shoots. For example, it makes a point of Jyn's confrontation on the Scarif tower with a TIE fighter, which of course we know never happened. It also notes the destruction of Zeta class shuttle SW-0608 without explaining the how or why, while suggesting the Rogue One mission was going to commandeer another craft to escape Scarif, when we know that virtually nobody in the movie survives the battle.

Do not be surprised if the TLJ surprises you by being different from the VD.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    Maybe so...but i guarantee there will be no New Republic.

Beyond pissed about it to be honest. Can't believe they couldn't have the good guys on top for just once. It would be so much better if the FO was a terrorist organization and the NR was the larger power but couldn't pinpoint the FO

5. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    I mean, people have been as in denial over the NR disappearing as they were over the Empire doing so when clearly, all source material point towards that direction. If you don't like it, just admit you don't like parts of NuCanon, there's nothing to be ashamed of. No need for these crazy mental gymnastics that there is some Empire and New Republic there, even though every source material in existence points towards their complete demise.

Vialco likes this.
  6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Here in lies the question though, is the New Republic truly not in the TLJ?

Who can save the Resistance when the First Order have them surrounded? After all, why would Rian Johnson go to the trouble of giving stuff to Claudia Gray to use in Bloodline if it doesn't pay off? We may not see the Republic in full but we might see the systems that were Populist or Centrist (who didn't break away to join the First Order) send ships to their aid and prove the dark side can be defeated.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    And you can do whatever mental gymnastics you require to justify hating everything released in the NuCanon, regardless of whether it makes sense to hate it or not.

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'll bite: it's now pretty clear that there will be no New Republic at all in these sequels, and I find it horribly disappointing. I wanted to see the NR and Luke's new Jedi, but I won't have any of that. I'll have to do with Empire vs. Rebellion 2.0.

Havoc123 likes this.
  9. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    I don't hate everything released in the NuCanon though. I liked Bloodline, Tarkin, Rogue One, the Propaganda book is great on lore. Rogue One had its problems but its an original story. I've also liked the bits of the Aphra series that I've looked into. When a story is good, I'll say its good. When it's bad, I'll say its bad. And I don't think rehashing the OT (which is impossible to deny at this point) is a good story.

10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

I don't agree with your insinuation that this is just a rehash.

But I can respect that you're at least kind of giving it a chance. I do think you should reserve judgement until you see TLJ.

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I was just going to leave a like, but I have to support this more. The Force Awakens made it very clear that the New Republic had one fleet.

Just.

One.

And that fleet perished in its entirety at Hosnian Prime. Starkiller Base removed the New Republic from the equation as a threat and a power to be contended with.

On a different note, I played some more Thrawn's Revenge and I was surprised at the low intelligence of the AI. Six ISD-2's aren't a match for the Reaper and Vengeance under any circumstances. Doesn't matter how many Lancers, Strikes, Carracks and Dreadnaughts join them.

Isard's Empire tried to take Ord Mantell again after the Lusankya's demise. Without an SSD of their own, the attempt was doomed. I have to say, the Executor-class is far more formidable in this mod than it was in the original game. There's no engine hardpoint to take out and the sheer amount of guns on its hull is incredible.

12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I was just going to leave a like, but I have to support this more. The Force Awakens made it very clear that the New Republic had one fleet.

Just.

One.

And that fleet perished in its entirety at Hosnian Prime. Starkiller Base removed the New Republic from the equation as a threat and a power to be contended with.

On a different note, I played some more Thrawn's Revenge and I was surprised at the low intelligence of the AI. Six ISD-2's aren't a match for the Reaper and Vengeance under any circumstances. Doesn't matter how many Lancers, Strikes, Carracks and Dreadnaughts join them.

Isard's Empire tried to take Ord Mantell again after the Lusankya's demise. Without an SSD of their own, the attempt was doomed. I have to say, the Executor-class is far more formidable in this mod than it was in the original game. There's no engine hardpoint to take out and the sheer amount of guns on its hull is incredible.

13. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Need I remind this thread that the United States had just one fleet and it was destroyed at Pearl Harbor in Dec 7 1941

TK-421 Is vader and Senator Wan like this.
  14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

J J Abrams would suck at playing Empire at War lol.

On dumb decisions by the AI. I was playing Thrawns Revenge Era 1 only galactic conquest last night as the NR. One of my less well defended worlds got hammered by Kaine, Jerec and a few support ships, and was then quickly conquered by an overwhelming ground force. Soon as I got back to the galaxy map I sent Han and Chewie to spy and found Kaine in orbit by himself. So I send my nearby big fleet to see if I could take him and by the time they get there a load of ground forces were in orbit with Kaine. It was a tough battle but Kaine was defeated by my fleet. I then send a ground force in to discover Jerec hanging out all by himself on the ground. He was effortlessly dispatched by 6 snow speeders. He didn't participate in the first invasion so why did he go down there??

Vialco likes this.
  15. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I really dislike the Empire of the Hand in that mod. They seem very fan fic-y, and the ships are either really good, or really, really bad.

TK-421 Is vader and Vialco like this.
  16. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Just one? Sorry, that was specifically the battleships of the Pacific Fleet. There were still the carriers, as well as the entirety of the Atlantic Fleet, and most of the smaller vessels. We were no where near close to losing our entire fleet, if we did Midway would've fallen for sure and quite possibly Hawaii.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    "The entire fleet was destroyed!" (Except for the parts that weren't)

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I've been very careful to avoid spoilers, so I haven't been in this thread as much the past few days. However, as a reminder to all, any spoilers from TLJ and it's accompanying books MUST be spoiler tagged. Also- use courtesy and discretion when not using spoiler tags. Hinting or alluding to key events or plot points and then tagging them can be just as bad. I'm counting on all of you to observe this rule.

--Adm. Nick

19. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    This only applies for the following few days right? Because I'm heading to Barnes and Noble right after the morning showing on the 15th in search of the ICS, and I'd love to share every juicy tidbit I can with you all, assuming somebody doesn't beat me to it.

Senator Wan and Vialco like this.
  20. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    That's correct. At the time of Pearl Harbor Pacific Fleet had as its capital ships three aircraft carriers (Lexington, Saratoga, and Enterprise) and nine battleships (Nevada, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Tennessee, California, Colorado, Maryland, and West Virginia). The three carriers and the Colorado were either at sea or in other ports that day. Of the remaining eight battleships, Oklahoma and Arizona were total losses, Pennsylvania was repaired in a matter of days, Tennessee and Maryland were fit for action by February 1942, Nevada was repaired by October 1942, and California and West Virginia would be under repair until 1944. Saratoga was also torpedoed in January 1942 and put out of action until June. To mitigate those losses the US transferred the carriers Yorktown and Hornet from the Atlantic Fleet in early 1942 along with the three New Mexico-class battleships. Aside from the capital ships, a few cruisers and destroyers were damaged at Pearl Harbor while the submarine force and base infrastructure were completely unscathed. That still left the Atlantic Fleet with two light carriers (Ranger and Wasp), three obsolete battleships (Arkansas, New York, and Texas), and two new battleships undergoing sea trials (North Carolina and Washington). Pearl Harbor was a far cry from the scenario in the Hosnian system.

On top of that, while the popular perception is that the US was not ready for war in 1941, Congress had passed large naval construction bills in 1934, 1938, and 1940. The bulk of the fleet that eventually crushed Japan was either already under construction or on order before Pearl Harbor; a number of the ships ordered under the Two-Ocean Navy Act of 1940 were not completed or were cancelled prior to the end of the war in 1945. Aircraft production was already ramping up; the 188 aircraft lost at Pearl amounted to two weeks of factory output. By 1943 we could replace those losses in fifteen minutes. From the sound of it, the New Republic at the time of TFA was not undergoing anywhere near that kind of military buildup.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    MC-85 Star Cruiser

TheRedBlade likes this.
  22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Lol. That was the fan designation for Home One's class at some point

TheRedBlade likes this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    awww. I was hoping it would be like an MC-95 so we cold always get in some other models between Home One and the Raddus in other stories

TheRedBlade likes this.
  24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    There is still 81,82,83 and 84, plus variations using letters ;) .

vncredleader likes this.
  25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I think the important thing to remember is that the New Republic was in the same position as the Old Republic at the start of the hostilities during the Clone Wars; they had no real military and relied on sector fleets under the command of their sectors for most things.

The New Republic Fleet such as it was protected the government, and at the time the politicians were wary of showing any force projection, so most all of the fleet was kept in the capital system unless circumstances declared they were needed. Which was the whole point of the Resistance; even those in the NR who believed the First Order to be dangerous only saw them as a terrorist group that could be controlled by local system.

The NR seemed loathe to provoke anyone, and iirc, they were in the middle of making deals of mutual aid and trade with other multi-sector alliances in the galaxy, not to mention the long years of disarming the fleet and stripping them down as the former Imperial loyalists became their own small alliances that posed no threat or were willing to work with the NR.

So you have a much smaller NR trying their best to show that they trusted their member states and outside alliances and kept their fleet close, potentially ready to deploy if needed, but not flexing muscles for fear of looking too much like the Empire.

It's still a bit silly, but it's not a reach to assume that in this case the effective bulk of the NR fleet was destroyed by Starkiller Base, and then what's left is scattered and leaderless save for the factions joining Leia.

We may well learn that there ARE quite a few ships out there, just cut off without a central authority to command them, and many of them either don't know about the Resistance or don't realize they're situation. The fact that the movie seemingly picks up right after TFA, because the fleets could mobilize, is another factor.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  26. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    So I just played through the Resurrection DLC for Battlefront II and there are some pretty interesting tidbits for Fleet Junkies.
    Jinata Security employs a mixture of Clone Wars-era and Galactic Civil War-era craft. They have at least one capital ship, the Nebulon-B frigate Opportunity, as well as GR-75 transports and Lambda-class shuttles. For fighters, they use ARC-170s and V-Wings, as well as one heavily modified N-1 Starfighter - although the latter belongs to a commander who strikes me as something of a hired gun. All their vessels are marked in the colours and insignia of J-Sec. On the First Order side of things, Hask now commands a Resurgent-class Star Battlecruiser called the Retribution.
    There's also a minor spoiler for TLJ. Well, not really even a spoiler. More of a tie-in.
    When infiltrating Hask's Battlecruiser, you find the schematics for the First Order Dreadnought. These plans are delivered to D'Qar prior to the evacuation, allowing Resistance strategists to pour over them to help find a weakness in its design.