main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    DP

This site's servers are so unstable, I've hardly been able to do anything with it the past week, on top of the usual posting lag errors

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  2. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Is it possible
    that the Raddus survived the “lightspeed-ram” maneuver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Dp, and also how to spoiler tag? I feel I’ve been doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    You have to close the spoiler: [/spoiler]

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Senator Wan likes this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting intro. But I wonder how the skispeeder being based on the B-Wing mesh with the info elsewhere that it is a civilian sports vehicle that the rebel alliance used as makeshift ground vehicles?

Anyway, some interesting tidbits from the Visual Dictionary I haven't seen anyone mention:
    - The bomber is called the Starfortress.
    -It was actually used late in the Galactic Civil War, before Jakku.
    -Similarly, the resistance trooper helmet are left over New Republic helmets from that time.
    -Every X-Wing 85 was destroyed with the Hosnian system. Alas. It says this makes the T-70 the most advanced X-Wing in the galaxy again, so apparently there weren't any
    -All resistance ships run on a skeleton crew.
    -Apparently you could fit the entire resistance in the Raddus, but Leia doesn't believe in putting everyone in one big target.
    -The corporate sector is still around, and made a lot of the First Order's weapons (forgive me if I said that before. I not good at remembering such things)

vncredleader likes this.
  6. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    The more that I think about, the more annoyed I am that the hyperspace tracker wasn't just a gravity well projector. The tech already exists and streamlines the explanation considerably.

7. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    MercenaryAce The B-wing/Skispeeder connection is explained in detail in the ICS. I wish I could take some phone photos but these pages are made out of the most glare-promoting material I've ever seen, and there was already a lot of glare on the pages of Star Wars reference books. Still, the ICS is well worth buying, in large part due to the fact TLJ has more than a half-dozen vehicles in it.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Whoops. Thought it didn't post earlier.

Interesting, I will keep an eye for the book.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So I loved all the spaceship stuff in TLJ, as you can imagine.

Wished we had more of the opening battle though. After the initial clash, it's mostly shots of the bombers being ripped to shreds and while that was good, I can't but help wish for some more actual dogfighting. Too often it seems these are relegated to the background, so I'd love such a scene be a focus.
    One thing I found interesting was that the starfighters didn't jump to lightspeed on their own, but docked BSG-style into the Raddus.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ok, I am now ready to start discussing stuff! The boards have been a pain to access the past few days, but since it let me on I figured I'd take the opportunity to get a post in. Having now digested the film and read both the Visual Dictionary and Cross Sections book, there is literally so much to discuss. Instead of trying to tackle all at once, I'm gonna start with the Raddus. :D

The Raddus is an MC85 Star Cruiser, a joint effort between the Mon Calamari Shipyards and Corellian Engineering Corporation. Basically, a massive Mon Cala hull filled with CED style interiors so that it was more multi-species friendly. I love the parallel to the old Legends MC90. This isn't a converted ship, this is a purpose built warship that was spearheaded by two of the best shipbuilders in the New Republic. It was originally named Dawn of Tranquility. Boy oh boy, those shields are yet another testament to Mon Calamari engineering! The armament seems fairly light for a 3km cruiser, with 18 heavy turbolasers, 18 heavy ion cannons, 12 point defense cannons, and six proton torpedo launchers. Of course, the size and power of each gun matters more than the number. Having said that, I am not at all surprised that the New Republic didn't overgun it.

Needless to say, I really love the design.

REMEMBER - we can discuss ship designs freely, if you choose to discuss plot points PLEASE use spoiler tags. They are required until Friday, 12/22.

--Adm. Nick

11. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Amazon store page for the ICS has a few good previews up. The others included are the TIE Silencer and A-wing, but I remember seeing the AT-HH around the web somewhere.

[​IMG]

Sorry for poor image quality, imgur has been compressing the hell out of files lately.

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so the nebulon-C is basically if you took the Neb-B and reversed the front and back.

13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Mods delete this post as it is a double post.

14. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Hmm... Looks like the weapon yields have officially been downgraded significantly from the old Curtis Saxton days. A plasma bomb as big as a small starship mounted to the Ninka has a yield of 100 megatons.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm ashamed of you fleet junkies for not having a parade to celebrate a Legends reference in TLJ ICS that is THE GREATEST THING IN FRANCHISE HISTORY.

Be right back after going through 887 pages and putting everyone who's posted on IGNORE for this collective failure.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    (Eh, I'm not sorry. This one was worth a double post.)

17. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    The Resistance has essentially been using hand-me-downs/excess from the NR and the NR has been stifling its military advancement because of that damn Disarmament Act and also to account for the fact that they're still using X-wings albeit 'upgraded.' Hopefully JJ's smart enough to comes out with the IX featuring both the NR/FO fielding completely new vehicles like the Canto Bight speeder.

And before anyone says PT-OT innovation wasn't realistic, People, we've got a little frog dude who can lift a ship that can travel in space at lightspeed into the air with a simple gesture, realism should not be a factor here.

18. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Double post, this website's really glitch-ing out....

19. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I'm afraid you'll have to explain this one for the proletariat. :D

20. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Anything in the ICS on the upgraded AT-STs and AT-ATs?

21. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    jasonfry
    Would that be the canonization of Xim the Despot? I love them Han Solo Adventures ;)

And for you Havoc, I'll tell you the info on FO AT-STs and AT-ATs:
    • AT-STs and AT-ATs are considered proven, reliable designs, and thus the FO resurrects them for their vast utility, and the resources poured into the FO war machine allowed them to research advances in composite armor that makes them much tougher than before while retaining the same weight.
    • FO AT-STs are more gyroscopically stable than their Imperial predecessors, explaining the full-fledged sprinting scene in the movie.
    • FO AT-ATs moved the heavy chin cannons to the temples in order to install a boarding ramp under the chin. The front feet removed the forward toeflap and replaced it with a blunt block for use as a battering ram. It is implied that the reason they took so long to blow up the shield generator at Hoth is because the recharge rate for fully-charged cannons is very slow - Veers' walker was probably drained after that.

Also there is in fact a FO Dreadnought in Battlefront 2, but it only appears at the end of the First Order victory cutscene for an instant, less than a second, too brief a time for me to get a screenshot. And considering how heavily maps are weighted in favor of defense, an FO victory on D'Qar only comes once in a blue moon.

22. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    'Proven, reliable designs'

Translation:

Lazy, lazy, lazy, LAZY.

Seriously, I don't wanna see any AT-STs, AT-ATs, X-Wings, A-Wings or whatever in IX. If they want anyone to take the ST seriously, they need. NEW. STUFF.

Anyway; Is there anybody up for scanning and uploading the ICS Raddus and Supremacy pages? I'd go out and buy it myself but I'm waiting for the ST ICS, if I decide to get it at all.

Okay, I get this site would be in a divisive uproar over TLJ, but these glitches are getting on my nerves.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There were a lot! Was it the Virgillian reference? That a deep cut from Truce at Bakura!

—Adm. Nick

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the bits it said about Ackbar and Raddus - that the two clashed (Ackbar saw Raddus as a hothead) but nevertheless, Ackbar respected Raddus, and that it was him that proposed the renaming of the Dawn of Tranquillity, when the Resistance got the ship.

25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    To be fair, I don't mind the AT-STs and AT-ATs still being in use. It's the one thing I have no issue with as tanks from WW2 are STILL used by some countries today. Would like to see a scan of them, but I'm sure someone will do it and they'll pop up on Wookieepedia sooner or later. Usually happens within a month.

I heard there was some A-Wing Legends reference? I hope it's been retconned back into Incom, can't see Kuat making ships for Rebels so directly.

26. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Kuat is opportunistic, they build Starfighters for the New Republic once it's clear the Emperor is no more. Additionally, the A-wing is mentioned as tracing its ancestry directly back to the Delta-7 Aethersprite Jedi Interceptor, which was a Kuat design.

27. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003

Yeah, I love the added context of the relationship between Raddus and Ackbar. Both obviously have different temperaments, but I love that has Ackbar aged he came to respect him. It's worth noting to that Ackbar himself eventually becomes more impulsive, as we see at Kashyyyk when he risks it all to aid Leia and save the Wookiees.

It is interesting that the New Republic actually fielded more new vessels that we intially thought post-Endor. We have the MC85 star cruisers, the Starhawk battleships, the MG-100 StarFortress bombers, etc. I also love the idea that the Nebulon-C frigates were a post-disarmament design. I've said all along, the New Republic still built ships, it just pushed to build smaller vessels that were useful for patroling space lanes, arming member navies, and stuff like that.

Also- the fact that we learn in the ICS that the Mon Calamari are openly supporting the Resistance (to the disapproval of the New Republic, who prefers to support the Resistance covertly) made me smile so much. I have a hunch that there may be some more MC85's in a mothball fleet, just waiting for the Galaxy to need them. ;)

--Adm. Nick

28. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    I'm hoping that the MCs openly supporting the Resistance was a sign that the Mon Cals are working on Viscounts. Those would be more useful than any more mothballed relics from a time when courage was apparently more plentiful.

The Resistance has so far only been winning because of a handful of exceptional individuals doing unorthodox tactics and while it makes for good cinema movies, it's really starting to get old in SW. Don't even get me started on the Ski Speeders.

I've already said it, the Resurgent SDs are apparently built to dominate in ship-to-ship battle and the Dreadnought was seen as a fleet-killer. Heck, the FO is fielding stuff that is meant to dominate in open warfare; They're gonna need more than a couple old ships.

But I won't hold my breath Disney intends to change this.

29. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I read somewhere that TLJ:ICS says the Nebulon-B was originally an Imperial frigate design. Nice.

Also, love that Xim reference, Jason! :cool:

King of Alsakan and jasonfry like this.