main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    Very true Admiral. Things now change every decade, I think thats what we all want in Star Wars as fleet junkies, but, it isn't happening.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm a fan of fewer designs, as it allows them to be more fully explored and used. Otherwise there is a temptation for each author/filmmaker to just introduce something "new", to the detriment of the "older" designs.

I love what the OT did. We see a Corellian corvette in ANH, the Nebulon-B medical frigate and GR75 transports in TESB, and then all of those older designs alongside three MC80 types and the Dornean gunship in ROTJ.

--Adm. Nick

jSarek, vncredleader and Snafu55 like this.
  3. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    You do know the quickest way to my heart.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    On the other hand, using older designs to excess leads us to the problems of legends, where the New Republic navy consisted solely of MC-80s, Neb-B frigates, CR-90 corvettes, and a smattering of flavor of the week, giving those few designs disproportionate representation.

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's definitely about balance. The old EU did a poor job of introducing something new and then sticking with it. Hence why E-wings, MC80B's, MC90's, K-wings, and the New Class all get ignored for the most part. Since the ships we saw in TLJ were just introduced, I'm hoping we get to learn about them and see more of them for awhile before rushing on to a new ship. So far, the Starhawk has fallen victim to this, but hopefully it is the exception.

--Adm. Nick

6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I still have hope that the Starhawk will make a triumphant return. Like I Wedge shows up with a Mark II Star Hawk in 9 I will flood the theater with tears.

7. Resistance_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I just really want to see a big cobbled fleet in Episode 9 of stuff we've seen in Episodes 7 and 8, the ships we've heard in books, and like 3 or 4 new ship types to that movie. The more I think about it, the more I agree with you Nick!

8. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Who wants to bet that the Sullustan Ring Ships look like those Republic cruisers from KOTOR?

Also Nick whats your opinion on my Lobster?

9. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Which KOTOR vessel?

Resistance_Man likes this.
  10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It was cool! Definitely fun to see other aquatic creatures serve as an inspiration for Mon Cala vessels.

--Adm. Nick

11. Resistance_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I don't think the Sullestan Ring-Ships look like a design from KOTOR. If anything I think it is going to be another barebones design like The Ninka, hence the word Ring-Ship. At least, I hope it is another barebones design, I'm always a sucker for them.

12. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    The Inexpugnable I think it's called. Has a much more OT era vibe to its aesthetic as it is (which is a flaw I always disliked about the Old Republic Era in the EU)

Resistance_Man and vncredleader like this.
  13. Resistance_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I just looked it up and it could definitely be from the OT. That thing looks really good.

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Anyone else get a Federation vibe from it?

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Inexpungable-class command ship remains to me one of the most iconic EU ships. It's obviously a lot less known that many other capital ships, but it embodied the best visual elements of the known Republic ships at the time and then added a unique feature that makes it both familiar and incredibly distinctive. As far as my head canon is concerned, those command ships and their accompanying Hammerhead cruisers are what the Old Republic Navy used in it's prime.

--Adm. Nick

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Of all the old Republic era capital ships I really badly want the Valor back.

[​IMG]
    It's just so unique looking

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Valor shares a design lineage with the Inexpugnable, which I always liked. There isn't a definitive "look" for Sullustan ships, it's unclear if the ring refers to the actual shap of the hull, or a feature (like the Vulcan cruisers from ENT).

--Adm. Nick

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, I would love it if rebel and imperial fleets in the post Endor year of the war ended up looking something like those you can build up in Rebellion. Bring on the liberator class!

19. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    You know, the Liberator-class could provide the basis of a ring ship.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    For whatever reason, when I read about the ring ships I imagined them similar to the pre-Federation civilian Enterprise from Star Trek:

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I always liked the Valor class, its rare to see the good guys with big ships, since most eras are so obsessed with ripping off the ANH-ESB aesthetic (or they don't last very long). It was one reason why I loved the Inexpugnable in the KotOR comic (at least the Swiftsure lasted longer there).

How about the Enterprise-era Vulcan ring ships? I liked their design too.

[​IMG]

22. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    Vulcan-styled ships in Star Wars?

Yes please

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    That is actually not far off the Profundity desigh- just for the MC-75 the ring is close to the hull and where all the weapons are bolted on. But I would love to see some more ships like those Vulcan ones, maybe based on the Dauntless cruiser hull? But if we are wishlisting for Sorosuub ships to come back, please, please, please the Liberator cruiser.

24. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Speaking of the Profundity, Armada Wave 7 should be hitting stores February 1, so if you want Raddus or Thrawn keep an eye out at your LGS.

25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I completely agree with this. The Anakin Solo should've been a Nebula-class, it made no sense to me that they'd give what is essentially their top elite secret police unit just a slightly refitted black ImpStar, which at that point was even used by private individuals.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.