main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Specforce, you realize real world aircraft carriers have large interiors for holding most of their fighter complement right? They don't all hang on the outside.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Is the Dark Empire craft exactly the same? I'm just going off the one image.

3. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I'm just saying theres a lot more room inside such a ship than you'd think.

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014

That big square in the middle of the flight deck could be an elevator. Turn on a mag con and lower whatever is on it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  5. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    My point exactly Chris, thank you.

6. Fire Dog

Fire Dog Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    The ship is the Vindicator, it does have elevators like Modern Day Carriers to lower starfighters into the ship, no details on any shielding for the deck.

Functionally it's rather pointless to have an open deck like that in space even with shielding, Don't get me wrong it's an Awesome design and I love it, but the Endurance class, or even Liberator are much better Carriers. Just think if those elevators were disabled all of your ships would be caught inside the ship, with an Endurance at least there's 3 separate hangar exits. Not to mention if the flight deck (say it had shielding) was taken out you'd be screwed.

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Different artist for Empire's End.

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is it even possible to project a mag con field (or whatever the hold-atmosphere-inside-a-hangar-bay-field is called) over a large open flight deck like that?

Also, going back a few pages...what's the out-of-universe story behind the Tector-class? Did they just need a Star Destroyer model for that particular shot and decided to be lazy about it?

9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah I was wondering that as well. How does a ship like that come into being?

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    dp

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    The ships drawn in the Dark Empire comic series really bug me. It reminds me of the pieces of junk they called ships in the background shots of the fleet in the original Battlestar Galactica (aside from Rising Star, Celestra, mineral ships, Gemini and Colonial Movers).

12. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Well we got this thing in the Poe comic, it doesn't have room for interior hangars, but it clearly had to get from space to atmosphere somehow.

[​IMG]

13. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    ILM cannibalized the ventral portion of a Star Destroyer model to get a surface for the Falcon to fly over in the initial point-blank range attack. They've shown the Falcon fly over a Star Destroyer in ESB (the "attack" on Needa's ship). This time, they needed a longer distance covered in a shot, so they remade the surface, including plastering over the hangar bay and removing the dome. Interestingly, the novelization describe the Falcon in that shot flying over the "belly" of a Star Destroyer, which would be the ventral surface.

SpecForce Trooper and Alpha-Red like this.
  14. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Bit of an old subject but thought you guys might find this FFG Armada art interesting.
    [​IMG]

15. Fire Dog

Mar 1, 2017

I know what you mean the ship Robida Colossus is pretty ugly and then it is said to "powered mainly through the power of steam". What?

Also the New Republic's Pelagia is one ugly looking boxy ship.

16. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    My headcanon has always been that that vessel is a Tapani-class carrier, a vessel used in the Tapani sector that features a flat dorsal surface that fighters are held on via magnetic docking clamps.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tapani-class_carrier

Since another vessel in Dark Empire is called the Pelagia, it seems a fair assumption that the authors/artists were familiar with Lords of the Expanse which introduced the carrier.

17. Fire Dog

Mar 1, 2017

Lots of interesting ships revealed from Hot Wheels toys.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    JediBatman likes this.
  18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm not seeing the Colin Cantwell connection, though...?

EDIT: Never mind, found his Instagram post.
    [​IMG]

19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    For some reason that concept reminds me a bit of the Enterprise concept that became the Daedalus class

20. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Neat way to repurpose Colin Cantwell concept art, but I don't particularly think it meshes well. I like those ore haulers though.

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Someone on another site has pointed out that this might be the big Corellian ship Han mentioned in the first movie.

Senator Wan, Tzizvvt78 and Fire Dog like this.
  22. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I always thought that he meant Star Destroyers when he said that, just that ISDs were license-built by Corellia. After all, if that's some heavy-duty tractor-beam ship, outrunning it probably wouldn't work considering how the Falcon got nabbed by the Death Star's tractor beams so easily.

23. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014

Very nice! Is there any way to get the resolutions higher so we can see the descriptions and names (or is that not do-able, my computer image knowledge is limited)?

24. Fire Dog

Mar 1, 2017
    Have you clicked on the image? It brings you to the Instagram page that has a bunch of pictures on it.

On a separate note Toy fair had figures that were called Kessel Guards etc, so we now know for sure that at least part of the story will take place there.

25. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Now that's interesting.
    One of the new vessels is called an "Imperial Arrestor cruiser," and it's based on ANH concept art of the ISD by Colin Cantwell.