main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Huh. I've always considered myself pretty with-it in terms of OT concept art (just ask my kids how quickly I tell them what discarded design from what film is being repurposed in the animated shows) but I'm totally unfamiliar with that ISD concept. Certainly wasn't in the original Art Of books, sketchbooks, blueprint sets etc... I'm gonna call that an impressively deep dive on the part of the design team!

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I like it.

More likely the other way around, since Empire's End came out in 1995 and Lords of the Expanse came out in 1997.

Grand Admiral Paxis likes this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: "big Corellian ships", given that we see ISD's under construction on Corellia in the trailer (which is a much more gloomy, industrial world that it's EU counterpart), I suspect that Han's Corellian pride causes him to refer to ISD's as Corellian, even though they are a Kuati design. Besides, it's already canon that once the Empire ordered the design that they were also built at Corellia, Fondor, and Ringo Vinda.

--Adm. Nick

4. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    I think we have to first look back at ANH alone when it was made and ask what that line meant, or even if Corellia was conceptionalised at that stage. Now personally I don't know, but perhaps Pablo or others in the story group know more. My guess at the time is perhaps Corellia and Kuat were to be the same thing originally and therefore it is an ISD, or maybe the line was to hint at the variety of ships the Empire has at its disposal (amoung other things, as its more about Han bragging) and a wider galaxy outside the scope of just the film. Also we also probably do with knowing what a local bulk cruiser is as well.

On the other hand, regardless of intent (if there was an intent) it was vague enough that it can be turned into anything if author or writer chooses to pick up this line. Perhaps the new Solo film will shed some light.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Doesn't the name "Kuat" come from Legends?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Kuat does come from Legends...but IIRC....was never mentioned in the movies or novelizations.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the ANH novel, Ben hints that Corellians tend to be pirates - maybe Corellia's original conception is of a mostly piratical culture?

Leaning close, Kenobi gestured toward the far end of the bar. A small knot of rough-looking humans lounged there, drinking laughing, and trading stories of dubious origin.
    "Corellians - pirates, most likely."
    "I thought we were looking for an independent freighter captain with his own ship for hire," Luke whispered back.
    "So we are, young Luke, so we are," agreed Kenobi. "And there's bound to be one or two adequate for our needs among that group. It's just that in Corellian terminology the distinction between who owns what cargo tends to get a little muddled from time to time. Wait here."

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Side note...how do you pronounce Kuat?

9. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Coo-aht

10. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I don't care if it's wrong, I'll pronounce "Kuat" as "Caught" till my dying day!

11. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Kuat was not officially mentioned in any piece of canonical material until late-season TCW I believe. If not there, then it was certified around 2015 during the Shattered Empire comic and Blade Squadron short stories.

12. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Heh, I meant more as the main ship building world for the Empire rather than Kuat specifically

Kuat is definitely from legends.... unless it was derived from an ancient draft or something, which does seem to happen with many of the legends material.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the first Legends source to talk about shipyards was Han Solo At Star's End, which had Bollux saying he was first activated at "the great shipyards of Fondor".

14. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    So...question about the Arquitens-class ships...does it carry fighters internally in a small hanger bay or is it kind of like the Carrack and have an external mount between the bow mandibles??

15. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    The Wook lists Adventure Journal 9 as the first appearance of Kuat (though with the wording I supposed it's possible it was mentioned in an earlier source).

Anyway when they were writing A New Hope (in particular Hans line about big Corellian ships) I doubt they'd done enough world building to come up with Kuat. After all a few years later when they started making Return of the Jedi, in the initial concepts Coruscant was called Had Abbadon, had a bunch of pyramids, and was orbited by two Death Stars and the Forrest Moon. If that's the stage they were at in the world building process for the Imperial *capital*, two movies later, then I guarantee you no one had come up with the idea of EU-only Kuat in 1976.

JABoomer likes this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Why? It doesn't even look like it would be pronounced like that. Its Kuat not Kaut.

Daneira likes this.
  17. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    If you're patrician you'll pronounce it "Quad"

And as for the Arquitens, the Thrawn book says there's a small hangar in it, presumably in the large underside bulge/pyramid/terrace/whatever.

18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I always pronounced it like Kuwait until they actually had it mentioned on screen as Coo-Watt

Fire Dog likes this.
  19. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    lol

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I first learned of Kuat when I was still a kid reading Star Wars books in French, which is why I grew accustomed to pronouncing it according to the phonetics of French, i.e. /kɥat/ (where ɥ is a "labialized palatal approximant").

21. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I tend to believe that at the time ANH was made, the mention of Corellian ships was nothing more than a shout-out to Asimov's Foundation series.

The Republic of Korell and the Korellians play a prominent role in the first book. They also provide a quote I've gotten a lot of mileage out of over the years....

"Korell is that frequent phenomenon in history : the republic whose ruler has every attribute of the absolute monarch but the name. It therefore enjoyed the usual despotism unrestrained even by those two moderating influences in the legitimate monarchies: regal “honor” and court etiquette."

22. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    *shrugs* IMO it just flows better.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Me too. As a kid, I totally pronounced it like Kuwait. When I first heard "Coo-Watt", I felt totally silly. [face_blush]

Of course, I've only recently taken to pronouncing Chandrila correctly, thanks to Star Wars Rebels. Baby steps. [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

Noash_Retrac, Fire Dog and Chris0013 like this.
  24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Well I still like to pronounce Coruscant correctly (unlike George Lucas).

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't care what they say in Rebels, I'm still pronouncing it Shon-dra-la. Chan-drilla is just so plebeian.