main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm glad that we all seem to be able to come together and make fun of Krennic's shuttle.

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Oh my God, if they bring World Devastators into Episode 9, my heart may stop in the excitement of it.

Really, when I think about it the Supremacy is like a trade off for a World Devastator. It's a mobile command center where they build and repair their ships. It also has the benefit of being the "capital" of the First Order.

Still, I would love World Devastators to make an appearance. It's all we need now to complete the whole "Sequel trilogy is just a retelling of the Dark Empire trilogy" thing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Having semi-automated mobile production forces like a WD would be an effective way for the FO to do their damage across a wider range of territory without requiring additional man power.

SpecForce Trooper and seeker_two like this.
  4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I seriously doubt the First Order even considered having more than one major production factory, considering Snoke and Hux's mentalities in that direction.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not on a large scale for the fleet, no- but a “drop off a WD or two, check back Tuesday” tactic would fit their blitzkreig approach, since it would allow them to have military presence/offense on minor targets while their SDs focus on taking and holding the major ones.

6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I could see that...drop off a WD...have it pump out a bunch of TIE drones for defense and do it's thing to soften up the defenses then come back with a few SDs and finish them off.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The First Order has hidden factories and shipyards throughout the Unknown Regions. To say nothing of the various subsidiaries of major corporations that support them openly in the New Territories. I don't see them having a problem of having too many eggs in one basket, they have had over two decades to prepare for this war.

--Adm. Nick

8. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

I don't see it as completed Star Destroyers, but the raw materials to make one.

This is now what I believe happened on Otomak.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I meant that, after the WD softened up or terrorized a minor target, the FO would then send in their SDs later on. Not that the WDs would build SDs.

Resistance_Man and TheRedBlade like this.
  10. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    Not sure if y'all have talked about this yet, but have you seen? Rebels is going to re-introduce Dreadnought-class Heavy Cruisers into canon!!! So happy, these were one of my favorite ships in the EU!

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Lol. Yeah a few pages ago we were communally hyperventilating over that. The hype is real

12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    They'll mess it up somehow, I know it. It will be the size of a shuttle or something silly like that.

13. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    God, I hope not...

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  14. Fire Dog

Fire Dog Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    Well that Dreadnaught got as much screen time in the show as it did in that teaser . The finale was pretty good. Would have loved to see the Alliance Fleet led by Home One or the Profundity at the end instead but thats ok. Seeing the T-6 Shuttle again at the end was cool

15. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    For anybody interested.

[​IMG]

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Well one thing about it bugs me straight away. The Dreadnought's bridge location is not meant to be obvious from the outside, and shouldn't have any windows. They've made it look like the experimental version of the Intercity Advanced Passenger Train from the 70's.
    [​IMG]

Next to Fractal Sponge's Dreadnought it looks terrible.
    http://fractalsponge.net/?p=1701

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I think that the lack of "organic features" and the shape of the engines make it look more imperial-ish than Fractal Sponge's.

seeker_two and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well it was made by the Republic in Legends, so Fractal's design make a lot of sense. I would not be surprised if in canon it still is from the late Clone Wars, but this is a slightly more modern build

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I see no dark grey section or bridge windows on that picture.

From wookieepedia:
    "Unlike many contemporary warship designs, the Dreadnaught-class did not have an easily visible bridge section, opting to shelter the command decks and crew stations inside the main armored superstructure. These areas were located on the dorsal side of the bow."

21. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    According to the asset title block, it's not a combatant any more. Just a support ship, maybe a fleet replenishment vessel or an oiler.

Senator Wan and vncredleader like this.
  22. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The front now looks like a Y-85 Titan or a Theta-class barge, which is appropriate, it's an Imperial vessel.

23. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Organic designs would fit the Separatist navy more than the Republic one (which in canon, is mostly made of triangular Kuati ships), but I guess that's because the dreadnought was designed years before AotC came out. Still, I think Fractal did a pretty good job in reimagining the Legends design.
    About the bridge, it's presence doesn't really bug me. It always seemed a bit weird to me that an old ship such as the Dreadnought class would not have a weak spot that even the Executor (and, more recently, the Mega-class) would have. Still, I wish they didn't make the opening in the front so big, especially considering how small the bridge is by comparison.

vncredleader likes this.
  24. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    If those windows are the same size as the ones on the Star destroyers, then she’s still a big’ish ship

I agree with what some other posters have said, the redesign makes it looks more like Republic/imperial ship.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I can forgive alterations to the design. Keep in mind in Legends the Dreadnought Heavy Cruiser has went through many 'localized' alterations, so we might be seeing Thrawn's fleet's personalized variant of it. Remember that the Separatist Providence design was based upon the Dreadnought platform.

SpecForce Trooper and Chris0013 like this.