main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Personally liked that the Venator took the main star destroyer role of the Republic fleet from the Acclamator, Venator fit the role of a cruiser much better to the Acclamator's troop transport role (I never saw them much of battle warships). And I love both of their depictions in the clone wars with Venators protecting Acclamators during invasions

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Has it ever been spelled out what the role is of torpedoes in space combat as opposed to turbolasers? I'm kinda thinking that turbolasers are just your regular sustained fire weapon, whereas torpedoes would be something used on small corvettes for hit-and-run attacks.

BLemelisk likes this.
  3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Proton torpedoes and concussion missiles probably pack more of a punch in a single shot that the turbolasers.

BLemelisk likes this.
  4. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Historically, torpedoes are a massively powerful but unwieldy weapon used to punch above one's weight and consequently are proportionally gigantic. In the Acclamator ICS the torpedo tube diagram looks to be capable of fielding a torpedo the size of an entire Ohio-class submarine. It seems more like a capital ship killer/crippler as opposed to the proton torpedoes Starfighters use, which are really just guided missiles.

vncredleader, Chris0013 and BLemelisk like this.
  5. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    And considering how light the Acclamator's other weapons are it can use the punch.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The Fondor ship yard is just a modified Shield Gate design, a lot of people kept mistaking it for the Shield gate in the BF2 trailers.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  7. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Couple that with its fast hyperdrive and I see early Clone Wars doctrine being lightning fast deployments, with the Acclamators firing torpedoes or missiles in a first strike and finishing things up with their turbolasers, then slipping through to land.

Or if the Separatists only had ground assets, planting a high-yield proton torpedo on top of their command center while on the descent, then landing to release the army.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  8. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    I think that most star wars media, besides for Starfighters, forgets that torpedoes exist on capital ships... because we never see them used in live action or animaton

CaptainPeabody and TheRedBlade like this.
  9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Exactly...can you imagine a scene with a Victory Class ship like Fractal's design opening up on a Mon Cal cruiser??

Snafu55 likes this.
  10. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Star Wars is about lasers, not missile spam, that's why we se so little of it. We got LOGH and Macross for that.

11. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Until you have to blow up a Death Star.

12. Fire Dog

Fire Dog Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017

True enough, I do give credit to Generation Tech's video about the Evacuation of D'qar. Some really good points touched on in that video.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I think that's mostly because Star Wars battles never include situations where a large missile would be more useful than a turbolaser. Those situations would be: Needing a beyond visual range attack, or needing a no line of sight attack.

You can have a fast small, maneuverable missile with small warhead that is hard to track and intercept. Or a larger, fast fighter sized missile with a much larger and more powerful warhead, but is far less maneuverable, and much easier to track and intercept. So large missiles would only be useful against a well defended target if you fired huge numbers of them, some would get though the anti fighter defense. A very inefficient way to attack. Against a poorly defended target, a singe large missile could be deadly though.

Snafu55 likes this.
  14. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm trying to play through X-Wing vs TIE Fighter for the first time in nearly twenty years and I sure as hell wish they had forgotten about missiles existing on capital ships and stations.

15. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    lol but I do agree with that I prefer warships only having laser-based weaponry just feels star wars-y to me especially since I grew up on the clone wars

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I think TFA is the only time we've see a capital ship use warheads in a movie right?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The closest I can think of is the turrets in ROTS, which use shells

18. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    But they just use shells to power the lasers. I'm pretty sure Tuskin is right about the Resurgent missile pods.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  19. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Those shells are tibana canisters.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oooh that makes a lot more sense. 7 year old me finally has an answer to that question, thanks. :p

21. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I see torpedoes & missles as useful for fighters (to punch above their weight against capships) and for capship anti-fighter defense (launch missles to thin out attack fighters). I don't see much use for capships using them against other capships or ground targets when they have massive turbolasers. Something like the Broadside cruiser would be great for attacking fighter bases or protecting convoys from fighter attack.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Wait, you were 7 in 2005?
    But that means I'm old!

23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Nope.......I was 5 in 05. I did not see ROTS in theaters sadly. Also I seem to make everyone feel super old, it's my superpower :p

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  24. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I was five when I saw my first SW movie.....

.....A NEW HOPE.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

25. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Yeah....about the same...in theater.

seeker_two likes this.