main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    That is absolutely not an argument for this thread.

2. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    You brought it up.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    *Ahem*

You're really not one to talk about getting off topic.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Alright folks, let's cut out the back and forth. Move along, move along...

--Adm. Nick

5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Hey, so...what is everyone's favorite ship in the whole of Star Wars?

In canon, it would be the Supremacy. I love it's design, I love the fact that it is stupidly massive. I also love the fact that it is just a canon version of my favorite legends ship...

...the Eclipse. The Eclipse from Dark Empire that is. I loved the idea in Star Wars of Imperial ships just getting ridiculously huge as time marched on. It's the concept from the original trilogy of bigger and badder in each new installment cranked up to 11.

Your turn.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Depends on the caliber. Having a large number doesn't help if they're pea-shooters.

7. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't know how anybody can pick out a single favorite ship amongst the bevy of beauties in Star Wars. I have trouble keeping a top 5 list by class and role, let alone placing any one above the rest, there's just too many good designs. I don't think I could even pick a favorite from Star Trek, and that's got a much smaller roster from the start.

The only "favorite" I can claim is the GCW era; not to disparage any other era from Legends or Canon because they all have their pros and cons, but there's easily 5 "favorites" in this image alone. I simply like the OT aesthetic better, on average.

[​IMG]

TheAvengerButton likes this.
  8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I am not talking WEG levels of dozens per ship...but like 8 like the ones on the CR90 for something like the Ninka...plus point defense weapons for starfighters.

9. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    But doesn't the Ninka carry StarFortresses too? So her armament is 2 heavy turbolasers AND some racks of bowling balls.

Senator Wan and TheRedBlade like this.
  10. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    That is for bombing...I am talking about ship to ship defense/offense.

11. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Conceded.

In order to call a ship a “bunker buster” is a misnomer though because it doesn’t look like it does much of anything.

JABoomer likes this.
  12. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    It would have been great for bombing large warships....like the Dreadnaught attacking the Resistance base. Probably would have fared better than the StarCannonFodders too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Bombing planetary targets that are dug in...or larger ships as well...but with such light energy weapons would be too easy of a target for other ships.

14. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Watching the movie again, it looks like Ninka acts like a Lancer-class frigate would: providing flak support for larger ships. I think that's what Hux meant when he said that the fleet couldn't cover Ren's fighter attack: Ninka was inside Raddus' shield envelope, and could have brought down Ren.

Never in military history has it been the obligation of a commander to explain their orders or include junior-level commanders, particularly arrogant and insubordinate ones, in operational decisions. Senior officers MAY choose to explain things - von Steuben had some thoughts about this when training the Continental Army during the America Revolution - but the first obligation of military personnel is to follow lawful orders. Holdo was executing Leia's plan, a plan that all the other Resistance flag officers presumably knew and had possibly be the product of some manner of council of war. She had good reason for keeping operational security tight, as she did not know how the First Order was tracking them and a spy in their midst was not out of the question.

There's also the fact that once Poe DID learn the plan, he threw a tantrum and launched a mutiny. Poe also failed to disclose the intel he got from Finn about the First Order's hyperspace tracking technology. There is no honest reading of this situation where Poe acted correctly.

15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    On top of that Poe not being tight lipped led to DJ hearing that they were fueling the transports, which lead to the FO being able to find them as they escaped.

16. Fire Dog

Fire Dog Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    Hey has anyone seen Vader's shuttle in the New Comic? It referred to as a Zeta class, but it's looks almost like a Sentinel. All black with a red cockpit, called the INFERNUM. Crazy thing had huge dual laser cannons on each wing.

17. Sly442

Sly442 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2018
    As much as I would like to argue, I think to talk about this in the pure military context, or whatever that would make this more in line with this thread, is more of a dead end than talking about this issue in the context of a movie (i.e. what information the movie presented to the audience, how they were presented, etc.) so I would much rather this discussion be moved to the TLJ discussion.
    I found the color scheme to be a bit on the nose. It would be cool though if the Inquisitor band were to use the Delta-class T-3c shuttle in the future. That is if ever they are able to survive to that point.

18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    fair enough. This thread has kinda went off topic by now

19. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    So now we have three different Zeta-class shuttles (altough one only appears in Legends).
    EDIT: I do not own the comic, but the Wookieepedia page mentions imperial usage of LAAT/C dropships. Anything about that?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Ninka has the dual heavy turbolasers (dorsal & ventral), plus a pair of cannons on each of the booms. Add in the bunker buster bombs and heavy ordnance pods, she’s actually a well armed ship for her size.

I’ll echo the sentiment that number of guns doesn’t matter as much as how good their punch is. Would you rather arm your ship with a dozen dual 5 inch turrets or one turret with three 16 inch barrels? Which do you thinks a more effective ship killer. ;)

—Adm. Nick

21. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    If Poe hadn't disobeyed orders and destroyed the Fulminatrix, would the Fulminatrix have joined the Supremacy and the rest of the First Order fleet in tracking down the Raddus and the Resistance fleet? We see that Hux made the same transition. If so, did the Fulminatrix's autocannons have the range to destroy the Resistance fleet at the range where Supremacy's turbolasers were ineffective?

Supreme Leader Woke and Snafu55 like this.
  22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Imperial II-class Star Destroyer

I assume yes.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The funny thing about Impstar II is that no canon source (as of yet) has bothered to tell us how they differ from the earlier model.

24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Hands down, the Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer and Imperious-class Star Destroyer. I like both equally, seeing as they share that cathedral Fel Imperial design. It just appealed to me from the moment I saw it, before that the I was a fan of the Dark Empire ships we got, the Sovereign, the Eclipse, so I guess you can put those as a close second.

25. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    There are so many... But I've always been a fan of Nym's Havoc. Also, the Assertor-class dreadnought is a thing of beauty. I actually prefer it to the Executor-class, which to me resembles a gigantic yacht more than it does a warship. As for canon, the Raddus really grew on me. It's a good looking design, and even though I did not absolutely love TLJ(it has many problems), I liked that so many important scenes take place aboard her or around her.