main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    That's fair, but is it explicitly stated anywhere that Star Destroyer bombardments from orbit are blocked/weakened by atmosphere? Or are we just assuming it's the case because of the Rebels finale?

Worst case scenario, we can always go with the hand wave explanation that some Star Destroyers have upgraded weapons and some don't, or that some planets have particularly thick atmospheres or atmospheres with special properties while others don't.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The usual source cited is the Thrawn novel (the final major space & ground battle of the book)- I can't recall the precise phrasing though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    There's been a new version of the Thrawn's Revenge Mod released for Empire at War. It includes new units like the CC-7700 Interdictor and the Dauntless-class cruiser. You can play some new historical campaigns too, like the Ciutric Hegemony. On the hardest setting, that campaign is nearly impossible to win. I spent over two hours just defending from attack after attack.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Oof, especially if they limit you to the forces described in Isard's Revenge.

"We're going to attack them with this specific group of preexisting, named ships and a ludicrously small amount of fighters!"

6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, you can build more, but you are limited to the few named worlds in Krennel's Hegemony and the dozen capital ships he had. Ciutric's the only world that can build Star Destroyers and trying to take any New Republic worlds is an ordeal as they're very heavily fortified on the ground.

Oh wait, you thought I was playing as the New Republic...

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  7. Sans_Fi

Sans_Fi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    I figured you guys might be interested, I've finished my Resistance Fleet for Armada
    [​IMG]

8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Love it!!! I want them!

9. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    [face_laugh]

That is correct. I enjoy Stackpole's writing, but it seems like the only New Republic "big ships" he routinely remembers to include are Home One and Emancipator.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  10. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    To be fair, the Hegemony campaign only has a small number of planets, confining itself mostly to the world's mentioned in Isaac's Revenge. I gave it a try on medium difficulty as the New Republic and I destroyed Krennel's fleets in a pair of simultaneous decisive battles and proceeded to conquer the Hegemony in short order.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TheRedBlade and Cracian_Thumper like this.
  11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I got bankrupted as the Imperial Remnant in "The stars align" on admiral difficulty. With the new ship expenses it seems really difficult if you lose a planet or two early on in the game. New Republic and Pentastar Alignment attacks were non-stop and I had no way to make money. My remaining ship's maintenance was higher than my planets total income. Also you don't start with Isard's SSD anymore. I really need to work on new strategies.

Vialco likes this.
  12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    SSD's have been rather nerfed in this last release. Their engine hardpoint has been restored, meaning that as soon as you take that out, they can't retreat. Their shields have been significantly weakened as well, requiring only a few capital ships and starfighters to batter them down. They're still very slow to manuever and their guns track less accurately than before. All in all, the Executor-class has been reduced as a threat in the game, which I suppose makes them more like they were in Legends. In the previous release, SSD's were practically invincible, which, while awesome, didn't quite jive with their appearances in Legend Canon, where they got taken down quite easily in almost every appearance.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes that is true. The Pentastar Alignment were so overpowered before in 2.1 with 2 SSDs right off the bat. Still I was doing OK as the PA on admiral difficulty before the 2.2.1 patch broke my save (Not compatible with the original 2.2 version). And there you have to wait until week 20 before Kaine shows up in his SSD now, and you have to buy the Vengeance for 60,000!

14. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    [​IMG] There are reports that the Galaxy’s Edge hotel would be themed like a starship. If this applies to the exterior, could this be what it looks like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediBatman and Star_Desperado like this.
  15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I mean, in a way it's better, it makes them more balanced and realistic. But I do miss the invincible overwhelming firepower of the Reaper and Lusankya.

16. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I doubt it.

I could be misjudging the perspective, but that design doesn't strike me as nearly big enough.

17. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    "The damage doesn't appear nearly as bad from out here..."

18. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    As I said, I could be misjudging the perspective.

But it looks too much of a resemblance to a Corellian corvette, and in that drawing at least, it has a severe lack of windows.

19. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Hmm, although the model's really low-detail, I wouldn't mind seeing that design show up in some form. It's a bit on the nose, I suppose, like the various Enterprise refits mapped onto the CR90, but it would be cool to see four or five of those flanking a Bunker Buster.

20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It looks like they mashed a Star Destroyer with a Corellian corvette.

21. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I think that design would work really well as something between the Gozanti and the Arquitens in the Imperial Navy. It would make sense since Solo shows Corellia as an important construction site for Imperial ships.

22. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Sadly there aren't, because it was such an obscure background prop with less than even a full second of screentime. It only gained a second life by being recycled into the T6 Shuttle for TCW.

24. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I would kill to see an early-war battle of Diamond-class ships (not a huge fan of that name) getting torn apart by Acclamators.

Really wish we could have seen the early idea of the space battle above Geonosis. Attack of the Clones-era fleet expanded universe with all the transports-turned-warships was truly unique.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    seeker_two likes this.
  25. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Bummed we never got to see Hardcells in TCW. Those exotic seppie ships like the 2002 video game superweapons and the Geonosian frigate in repcom would have been neat.