main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Fleeting Glory (post-Endor Imperial; EU-based opus) - chapter two up! (9/19/14)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Dec 21, 2010.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello
    I wasn't expecting this to pop up again. Brilliant stuff.

Out of curiosity, are you going to address the attempted deal by the admiral to make her constitutional monarch of the galaxy...or have you already in the form of these assassins?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Oh, I'll definitely address it -- it's the only thing about the character we had in the EU to begin with, so naturally I'll have to explore it. But all in due time.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm so happy you found the time to continue this, Jello. This is a brilliant story. I love the attention to detail in descriptions and the subtlety of characterizations. I'm not quite as well-versed in EU literature as you, but I'm very proud that I managed to catch some of your allusions and references.

Oh, and I learned that you shouldn't end your sentences with a preposition. As the French say, I'll go to bed less stupid tonight ;)

Looking forward to more!

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Psst—a word from a professional editor: That rule is considered rather old-fashioned and overly pedantic nowadays in English, and I think that's part of why Jello has it come to Edi's mind: because "old-fashioned" and "pedantic" are qualities well suited to the old Imperial order she represents (and knowing Jello, he will take that as a compliment. ;) ). Nowadays, even in formal writing, most editors consider it fine to use a preposition at the end of a sentence if it flows more naturally that way—to carefully tweak a sentence to avoid having the preposition at the end often results in something unwieldy and awkward. (One example given in Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed., section 5.169, is a quip from Winston Churchill about this very rule: "That is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I shall not put.")

Anyway, just a quick observation. As y'all were. ;)

5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Don't worry Findswoman, I wasn't planning on speaking English like Edi. I'd make a fool of myself real quick if I even tried. :p I particularly liked that sentence though, I find it encapsulates Edi's persona really well.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Hey, most native English speakers would, too! :p But yes, that sort of thing fits her well (and her culture of origin).

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I tried to go with intentional archaisms for Edi to capture a sort of old world courtly feel. I think it comes out strongest in her initial conversation with the ship captain where she wonders if he means to accuse her of knavery.

The bits about not ending sentences with prepositions and not mixing metaphors also sound outdated because they should be. I figure somebody who is raised by a governess is constantly told what she shouldn't do and constantly reminds herself of it. It's an interesting way of child-rearing: the old admonitory style. Very British and traditional in nature.

I'm very happy that it spawned some discussion though. Perhaps I ought to write quicker in order to spur more conversation. The next chapter switches back to childhood, which I find considerably easier to write.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    No objection whatsoever ;)

EDIT: I went and had a look at your old fic, "The Twelve", but it's truncated. Any chance you could repost? Please? Pretty please?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "The Twelve redux"? It's all there, actually. It's just not very good. :p

The formatting is wonky because I went back and pasted straight from Word without fixing any of it, but all of the substantive content should still be there.

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The award nominations gave me the pretext I needed to come here and badger Jello to Start. Writing. Again. Now. but as I re-read what is already written, I noticed a million little things that I hadn't noticed before. What really stood out this time for me is how, for all the education that was crammed into her head as a child (reciting what sounds like epic poetry to pass the time at age eight? poor little thing!), Edi is woefully ignorant of some essential aspects of the Empire and of the Emperor's personal history: "Her imperial uncle’s private chambers were decorated in an imposing ancient style known as Sith" -- she clearly doesn't quite understand what it means, does she? So you have to Start. Writing. Again. Now. because I want to know what's up with that :p

Congrats on the nomination!

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh, I actually appreciate the badgering. I imagine I'm not alone in enjoying having an audience who appreciates my work. Suffice it to say that I think about this story often and wish I had infinite time so I could just focus on writing. But I spend a lot of time on research, too.

And my favorite bit about Edi as narrator is that I can communicate a lot by using few words. Her upbringing was very staid and courtly, and while we'll get into that it's clear from the beginning. And while she was well-educated enough to recognize Sith as an architectural style (rather Egyptian and/or Stygian in style) , she is as ignorant about the religious aspects as the average person in the Empire.

I'm planning to have a lot of fun with that concept, actually. Edi just has no idea that the Empire is evil.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gamiel, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  12. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Jello, I too wanted to weigh in and say congrats on the nomination—this is a very different sort of "Beyond"-era story than we usually see here, and it's nice to mix things up a bit. I completely hear you on wishing for infinite writing time—it's something I wish I had too—but whenever you are ready and able to continue it, we'll be here. :cool:

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  13. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Let's all poke the Jello! [face_dancing]:p

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] [:D] I am very, very fond of OC-driven stories now. Like more than evah before! [face_dancing] ;)

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I really like the story admiral and I hope for more soon. Two questions: what kind of drama is Ulic and is "Bluebills" something you come up with?

Poke, poke :p

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Will this ever update again?

17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I wonder the same thing. Tell us, GrandAdmiralJello! :)

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Erm. Yes. I've had the next chapter in the works for a while now, I just need to finish it. Believe or not, I think about this story often -- it's just rare I have time to actually do the work.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

cthugha, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe if you did not play so much video game you would have time? :p