main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Flesh of My Flesh - Anakin and Luke Skywalker, vignette, angst

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Flesh of My Flesh
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Anakin and Luke Skywalker
    Timeframe: Pre TPM ? NJO
    Summary: Like father, like son. That about sums it up.
    Notes: I had written this before the ROTS novel came out, but after editing it I realized that there are potential ROTS spoilers in here. They would be mild and things you can already guess. Inadvertent, but nonetheless?

Flesh of My Flesh

Anakin Skywalker stared at the twin suns of Tatooine, shielding his eyes from the harsh glare.

Heaving a sigh, he turned away from his contemplation of the horizon. Watto would scold him for being late, and perhaps there would even be a beating meted out, but he?d been unable to resist the temptation of looking up into the bright sky and imagine taking flight up into it and beyond.

Right now those stars were beyond him, but he would not always be a little boy, nor would he always be a slave. Something deep inside assured him that this was so. Somehow, he would find a way off of this miserable dustbowl.

One day, he would go far beyond these skies he knew so well and see what the galaxy had to offer. He would visit every system, set foot on every planet. He felt the certainty of that as clearly as he felt the warmth of the suns on his face.

The little boy trudged reluctantly back to his home, but his smile lingered.

Luke surveyed the dunes surrounding him and the blue skies above, squinting against the blazing suns.

Another day of my life wasted on moisture farming, he reflected. Another day I?m not at the Academy, learning to fly and becoming something more, anything other than a farmer.

He was supposed to have been home already, with a load of chores sure to be waiting for him. Further delay would only cause his uncle to become angry. Uncle Owen would get that look on his face. It was a familiar expression that told him he had somehow failed to measure up once again, that he was different.

Luke knew that there was something about him that both worried and irritated his uncle. But he knew no other way to be, and so had accepted the fact they would always provoke each other.

But still he lingered, putting off the inevitable lecture that would greet him when he arrived home.

One day Uncle Owen would relent and Luke would shake loose the dust of Tatooine. Or he would get tired of waiting and simply leave. Either way, his future was in the stars beyond Tatooine. He gave one last glance up into the sky, wondering what waited for him out there.

Promising himself that he would see that galaxy, he made his way home.

One day?

Concentrating on the enemy ship below him, Anakin felt the Force flow through him as he brought his target to bear. One clean shot and another enemy of the Republic was gone.

He was grateful that his opponent had been a droid pilot, for there was no rift, however brief, in the Force to remind him that he had taken a life. No matter how long the war raged, he could not become accustomed to the staggering loss of life.

Master Obi-Wan had told him that this empathy was a good thing, appropriate for a Jedi. But he could not help but feel that it was a weakness. Death was the last enemy against whom he had no power. That thought ate at him, always lingering somewhere in the back of his mind ready to leap up and snatch away whatever tranquility he could manage.

To be Anakin Skywalker was not always a comfortable thing.

Thrusting away his distracting thoughts, he focused on surviving this battle. He had to get back safely to Padme?s side. Winning this fight was just a step in that direction.

I?m coming home, Padme.

Luke found himself cursing under his breath as he faced yet another group of TIE fighters. They were quick and agile, that was true, and their lack of shielding made killing them an easier prospect than outrunning them.

Grinning in spite of the situation, Luke snapped

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Another awesome vignette Kimberley! I love the comparisons between Luke and Anakin through the years.. very well done!

I don't suppose I could entice your muse to visit me could I? You keep churning them out and I've been dealing with some rather fierce writer's block ;)

Keep up the good work!

Edit -- Wahhooo I got first review! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Awww. That was so poignant...and sad. :( But not really sad, just a shame. I'm rambling. You know what I mean!!! :_|

Great vig!!!

4. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Wow! The jumping from Anakin to Luke . . . well done! Excellent job!

KT

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    That was sweet! Loved the comparissons and jumps between timeframes. Great work! :D Loved how you ended it too :) All about the babes! *warm fuzzies*

6. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I like the comparison and contrast that shows how alike they really are.

7. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    You never cease to amaze me, K! You took these two characters and stripped their emotions and motivations down to the bare essences they both shared - their need for adventure, fear and love for their children...two people, father and son, so different, yet so alike. Bravo!

8. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I loved the way you compared Anakin and Luke. Great job of that. Very fitting, really. Anyway, I'd say more, but I'm a bit too tired for that at the moment. So an 'excellent' will have to suffice.

9. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    *sniffles* Very sad! Still, excellently written, and a nice touch of hope at the end. Loved it!

Emmi

10. WhiteLadyofRohan

WhiteLadyofRohan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2005
    *sniffle*

That was so beautiful!!! I really love your fics -- this is an amazing piece that I must add to my "favorites" collection.

Wonderful job!

11. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Beautiful look at both the similarities and differences between father and son. :)

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Layren My muse isn't all that thrilled about visiting ME, so she may love seeing someone else! :p

rhonderoo I know. When it comes to Anakin and Luke, I think I know what you mean. :D

Killik_Twilight Their father and son dynamic has always been very interesting to me.

Kynstar Gotta love babies, well at least I do.

Dally Alike and very different, thank goodness!

Gina Wow, your comments were better than the viggie. Thanks! :)

Alethia I'll always be happy with an excellent!

EmilieDarklighter Thank you so much! There's always hope, even when Anakin has forgotten who he is.

WhiteLadyofRohan Wow, thanks!

obi_ew Thank you. Coming from a writer of your caliber I am very flattered.

13. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    This was wonderfully done. I like how you compared both Luke and Anakin's similiarites, but took great care in showing their distinctions. You conveyed the feelings of regret and hope very well. Great job!

14. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    That was just lovely, VL. The juxtaposition of the two different times was a great way of showing not only how alike they are, but also how their different choices affected their lives. Wonderful job!

15. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Beautifully done! :D I love how you handled the parallels. :)

16. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Nothing short of excellence from you again, K. =D= I love your effortless creativity to write one-line wonders like this:

Winning here was just another way of telling him that the soul of Luke Skywalker was not for sale.

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    JediMasterRev Thank you, that's what I was going for so it's always nice to know it worked! :0

Shaindl Anakin and Luke are a lot alike, but those small differences took them to such different places!

Gabri_Jade Thank you, I'm flattered!

ThePariah Thank you! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.