main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Florida Film Festival

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    The Florida Film Festival starts very soon, and I know Campbell will be working there, and I will be seeing as many films as time allows. I wanted to start a topic for it, so we could post any dates and times we might be there. This way we can hook up, if we want, and just "say hi."

There was a pull out section in Friday's paper detailing all the pricing information as well as brief descriptions of all the films, panels, etc. This information can also be found here:

www.enzian.org

If you plan on seeing anything, and, again, don't mind seeing people from here, just post where you will be, and hopefully things can work out. Or, if you have any information on shows or questions to ask, post it here.

Or, perhaps no one will post a single thing here... who knows...!

Rev. Brandon

2. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm out of town but have a half a day to kill so thought I'd just check in on what's going on. I will be doing the Film Festival but haven't checked out the various dates, times & films. I plan on getting some recommendations from a neighbor who's supposed to have the ability to see the films before everyone else. I was planning on going by myself but will gladly like company. Most likely I'll be doing the films after 6pm since I need time to get over there on the weekdays.
    Sitting by myself is ok but with company is much better.
    See someone did respond to your post (as they always do). Melanie

3. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'll be an usher/volunteer each evening of the last 3 nights (12, 13, 14 March) at the Regal theater if anybody goes to those showings. I'll post the ones I'll just be attending once I know my days off. If anyone has any questions, I'm a volunteer for the Festival, and Brandon is a long-time attendee. -Campbell

4. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    I Vitelloni this Monday March 8th 7pm Enzian, looks good. Code 46 on Sunday March 14th also looks interesting, Tim Robbins? Hmm. Well, we'll see, I like his comedy better than his "serious roles" but we'll see how he fares.

So, I'm going to check at least these out. Anyone else going?

Melanie

5. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Fans of Ewan MacGregor may want to check out YOUNG ADAM, playing on Friday, 12 March, at the Regal Theatre.

6. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Ok, you twisted my arm and now this makes 3 movies to see.

Now I have to get the package ticket instead of the individual tickets, unless I drop a movie. Nah. I want to see them all but no time.

Don't you wish we could all be independantly wealthy? sigh.

Melanie

7. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    We'll have to make a pact. If someone wins the lottery, SHARE THE WEALTH!

8. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    NO DEAL!! If I win, it's mine I tell you, ALL mine!!! Maniacal laughter..bwa ha ha..

Dealing with the Film Festival post I forgot I'm going down to South Florida again next weekend so won't be going next Saturday but after reading the description of Young Adam, I'm absolutely attending the Friday night's showing. Priorities man, priorities!

Melanie

9. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Mmmm, french fried tators, mmmm.

10. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I'll be spending a good chunk of today and tomorrow at the Festival. If anyone's going to try and hit anything these days, you'll probably see me. The only ones I'm fairly certain to attend today are Word Wars (9:30p Regal) and the Midnight Music Video Showcase (Enzian). While reading the description of the former they mention a TaiChi-practicing Scrabble champion whose opponents refer to as "Darth Vader." Sounds like a winner. :)

11. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    I missed Il Vitelli yesterday but since I'm off tomorrow, after running errands, I might try to check out what's playing. I absolutely am going to Young Adam on Friday. In fact, I'm postponing my trip to south fl. so I can go see that film. Well, anyone else going to the FF? Brandon you started this post, did you see any films yet? Anyone?
    Melanie :)

12. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I know I started the thread, and I had meant to respond after I got the schedule. However, jobs have been killing me, and I have had zero time. Today, though, I took time out to look through the list to see what was still upcoming and what I wanted to see. So, here is what I am going to try my best to be at:

Noise: March 11 at 6:30pm at Regal

Evil: March 12 at 9:30pm and March 14 at 5:30pm, both at Regal (I am going to try for the 12th, but if not, then the 14th)

Awful Normal: March 11 at 7:00pm at Enzian and March 13 at 4:30pm at Regal (as you can see, it goes up against my first film, Noise, on the 11th. If I have to pick one, which I might, it will be this one)

Certain Kind of Death: March 13 at 2:00pm at Regal

Whole: Tonight, and I missed it. Crap.

Code 46: March 14 at 7:00pm at Enzian (I *really* want to see this one, more than the others. Tim Robbins is nothing special and did not deserve to even be nominated for the Academy Award, but Samantha Morton did deserve to be nominated, and she is the second cutest actor in Hollywood today. Plus, the movie sounds cool, too. I fear it might sell out, though).

Hypnotic: March 13 at 7:00pm and March 14 at 7:00pm, both at Regal

Program 4: A Helping Hand: March 11 at 9:00pm at Regal

That is all. As you can see, many of them overlap, and I will have to pick just one. I decided that when the time comes, right before I leave, or as soon as I know for *certain* which ones I am going to, I will post it here.

Brandon

13. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm a little sad. I was looking forward to seeing Young Adam tonight but will have to scrap those plans. If anyone does see it, could you please share? It was the one I really wanted to see, besides Jockey, that I'm going to miss. Ah well, we can't do everything we want to.

Melanie

14. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    If you go to the Regal Theater in the next 2 days your likely to see me. I'm working Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening.

I got to see about an hour of Young Adam and almost all of Evil. Evil is the best film I've seen at this year's Festival. It's playing again on Sunday at 5:30pm if anyone can make it. Brandon, this means you. The movie stars an excellent young actor named Andreas Wilson that I'm sure has a bright future. See if you can figure out why I thought of The Princess Bride several times during this moving coming-of-age drama.

In my off-time today, I'm going to try and see Off The Map on Saturday at 6:45pm, and possibly Bright Young Things at 9:30, both at Enzian. -Campbell

15. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Campbell, my brother, did you actually just use the phrase, "...moving coming-of-age drama"? =( That is so... cheesy.

Barring that one thing, though, I am going to try to see it. This entire year has been a joke so far, literally. I had a blast at MegaCon, but I had to go on a Sunday, for the first time ever I have not gotten to see anything I want at the Film Festival, the Academy Awards were a sad joke, and a few other things. 2004 is shaping up to be an awful year.

Brandon

16. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, today it appears as though I *will* be at "Awful Normal" at 4:30pm at Regal. I may even bring my Regalator Cup that gives me $1.00 refills. Speaking of that, let me tell you the Story of the Regalator. Years, and years ago, long before the first X-Men movie, long before anything we know that exists today, two friends and I purchased the huge Regalator Cups. These were space age looking things, screw on tops, dome looking, with an awful guy in gold future armor pointing at you. Refills were $1.00, and it was the size of a large. The initial price, I believe, was around $6.00. I used this cup for years. It has saved me countless amounts of money.

Then, just two weeks ago, I took my trust, and very ugly, mug to get a refill. The guy said they now have to trade them in for new cups. The ugly Mr. Regalator is still on them, but they are the size and shape of a normal cup now, between a medium and large drink. Still, refills are only $1.00, but the classic cup we all know and love is gone.

I said all that in order to say that I will be at "Awful Normal" at 4:30pm today at Regal.

Thank you.

Brandon

17. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Didn't make it to Awful Normal on Saturday? How do I know? Because I didn't tear your ticket.

Apologies for the critic's cliche used above. Had a hard time explaining that "tha movie touch a brother." Evil's playing again today at 5:30 (Regal) and Code 46 is playing at Enzian at 7pm.

I'm going to see The Hazing at 9:30pm and try to sneak into Bright Young Things at 8pm, both at Regal. Hope to see somebody there.

18. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Actually, I did go, just, well, not into the movie itself. I went to the theater and got in line to buy my ticket. Just so you know I am not lying, the place to buy tickets was to the right of the main box office, two people at one table, and a table to the left of that table with one girl at it selling t-shirts and such. To the left and in front was a board with a schedule on it. As I got closer to buying my ticket, one more person in front of me, I got out of line and decided it was not worth giving them my $9.00. It just hit me like a ton of bricks that I used to love the Enzian, still do love some of the movies they play and their hamburgers, but I am not supporting them with a $9.00 ticket, also considering I had zero desire to see the short movie that played before the main one.

I don't know if everyone has had one, but this was one of those "moments of clarity." It simply hit me, and I left the line. I was done. All the rage I felt against them, including the fact that their soft drinks at the Enzian are so small, filled with ice, and they bring them out first. I know, "May I have this without ice and brought out with the food?" Still, it's a rip off, and they should not do it. They have also raised their prices on their burgers, and they STILL DO NOT HAVE FRENCH FRIES! There is no excuse for this, none. I do not want chips, I do not want to hear them crunching or have others hear them crunching. I want French fries with my hamburger, and after all these years they should be offering them by now.

While in line, I saw too many posers this year wearing those dorky little badges that cost far too much. Sure, I'd like a badge, but I would not wear the dumb thing. "Oh, faw faw faw, you may have noticed the Platinum Badge hung from my neck. I can obviously pay a lot and like films FAR more than YOU do."

Instead, and for less money than a ticket, popcorn, and Coke would have been, I went shooting, got my car washed, saw "In America" and then grabbed a Wendy's.

I DID try to purchase a ticket for "Code 46" early this morning, but the site said it was sold out. That WAS depressing. I will even put a frowny face: =(

Brandon

19. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, I'm sorry you didn't get into the picture, but I understand. To add to your laundry list- the Enzian keeps their house lights far too bright in my opinion. Then of course they've got a lousy sound system, as does most every arthouse. On the other hand, they're carrying a flag no other theater brandishes. For many small films, there's simply no other choice to see them on the "big screen."

How was IN AMERICA? I got to see almost all of BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also caught about half an hour each of Hypnotic and Hazing, neither of which stirred my tea. Was funny to see Brad Dourif in the latter however.

I can't take your great offense at the price completely seriously due to the fact that I know you spend a great deal of money on movies you more or less know you'll dislike. FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY comes to mind. If you're afraid that the $9 is making some fat cat rich, I'd like to see said cat. And I have serious doubts that FJTK was made from a passion for cinema. But I've been wrong before.

Despite our surmountable differences, I had Wendy's too. Frosty and a potato. **** Dr. Atkins.

20. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    I wish I had gone but I had just driven 4 hours yesterday and was tired. I'm glad some of us enjoyed the Film Festival. I love the Enzian but then again it's something new for me. I do agree they have a crappy sound system and the cups are too small with too much ice but the atmosphere is interesting. I enjoy it right now. If I want awesome sound systems I go to PI.
    Oh & Campbell, feel free but he's dead. So whatever floats your boat but ewwww... :p
    Melanie

21. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    Cambell is against atkins?

Ia

22. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, I've worked years in natural foods, so I've known about Atkins and his methods for many years. I really was making a joke about my poor choice of menu that night- just a starch simple carb and a milkshake (sugar simple carb), but my meal was actually low fat and I don't regret it at all. That said, I do very much dislike the Atkins diet and think that we will see a rise in problems like heart disease after people have used the diet for a long time. Already the backlash has begun with rumors flying that Atkins was fat when he died. Whenever a diet is this successful, it's headed for a backlash of people that will knock it down. I've never held it up.

I'm not saying I eat well, because I eat far too many processed foods and simple carbohydrates, but I am amused at the mass Hypnosis Americas has fallen under with the current Atkins-craze. -Campbell

ps- how's that for staying on topic? :(

23. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    First, let me say that I do like and appreciate the Enzian. However, the *fact* is that it is not the only theater around here for films like that anymore. Not even counting the Florida Film Festival, Winter Park 20 plays those "art house" films on a rather regular basis, even Oviedo Marketplace 22 plays them every so often. However, the real deal is Altamonte 8. That theater has died and been reborn countless times. It was, as a matter of fact, the first theater I ever went to in Florida (it was a General Cinema at the time, you know, the Candy Band and such). After Altamonte 18 opened, that super duper megaplex, I figured Altamonte 8 was dead. Not so! It has eight screens of films that, in the old days, only the Enzian would get. Not only that, it is cheaper and has no trailers. If the movie is listed to start at, say 4:15pm, it will start at that time.

I've been going to the Enzian for almost 10 years now, have seen a ton of great movies, and a ton of awful ones. My favorite film of last year, "American Splendor," I saw there (along with Stefanie, it was her first time, it was fun, we even sat in those new chairs up front). On a side note, had I seen "Monster" in 2003, that would have been my #1, but it will be on my 2004 list now.

Anyway, I do still like the Enzian, don't even mind the sound. More than the theater, I hate the people that go there nowadays, and I cannot stress enough how much I despise the fact they do not have French fries! This is no joke, I would never joke about this, but if they offered French fries, I would be happy to go more often. They have the best hamburgers in Florida. Everyone can vouch for the fact that I feel that way. I have been known to order two at a time because they are so good. I don't do that anywhere else. I have drool coming out of my mouth thinking of their hamburgers. And then, sadly, they are not PERFECT because of the French fry issue.

Campbell, o' my brother, you are on the 'inside' of the Enzian, right? You know the power players? Ask them about the French fry issue. I have filled out countless forms there telling them this, but, oddly, it never works.

Those chips have got to go.

Brandon

24. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    I wonder if we do a petition for french fries if that would help?

Melanie

25. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    This is odd. Two days ago I wrote a long reply to Brandon's last one and it's not showing up at all. Sigh.

suffice it to say, I did acknowledge the other theaters show some things but they're farther than the Enzian for me, and I'll ask about French Fries. hmmm. I know there were many other things, but after two days I've forgotten them. sigh, even again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.