[flow-walking] Would you be upset if...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LeeKenobi, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Caedus Solo, at the end of his rope, found redemption by flow-walking back in time to the beginning and killed Lumiya himself while she was trying to drop off the tassels at the Kuat space resort....thus making most of the LotF series non-existant?

RF: We don't usually allow "what if" threads. Flow walking can be discussed in this thread.
  2. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I was upset with what they did in Inferno.

[image=http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Ulicus/Flowjumpingtehshark2.jpg]

So, yes. I'd be very upset with what you're suggesting. It's a horrible idea. Caedus has been referenced in Legacy to boot, and portions of that shouldn't be invalidated just because LotF isn't great.
  3. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I think Jacen Solo could redeem himself by saving Anakin's life and killing himself instead.

;-)
  4. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    And then Anakin becomes "Darth Cadeus", explaining away what we all thought was a "spelling error" in the Legacy comics? :p
  5. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes that would upset me. But more because of the "it never happened" nature of the thing than the actual inclusion of flowwalking.

Flowwalking itself has the potential to kriff up everything beyond all recognition if it starts to be used in this way. As Star Trekkish pure time travel. Oddly, I'm more accepting of a more mystical, organic approach to the thing. If handled by a good author, with respect for the ongoing story and not as an excuse to "have your cake and eat it too."

A weird vision quest, changing things that *affects* the current timeline, but doesn't utterly rewrite it or re-do it, I'm willing to at least entertain, if done well. I the point is to move forwards, not rewrite or "undo" any major plot points I will...consider it. It could even be cool. A dissonant universe with an incoherent history and the Force struggling to unify it...

But we're talking about motive here. As a complicating factor designed to move the story forward, that's one thing. A factor designed to negate the story and "reset" it? Hell no.
  6. DarkScythe Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'd be extremely upset. If LFL wants to do a reboot of anything they need to have the guts to do a real reboot not screw around with time travel.

Using Flow walking as a means to just rearrange continuity every so often would drive me to completely give up on the Star Wars eu.
  7. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Flow walking can be used to add long wanted elements to the EU I've always desired.

* Bunny Girl aliens.

* Conan style Barbarians with lightsabers.

* An exploration of the Silly Rabbit Nebula!

THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES, PEOPLE!
  8. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I agree. I'm one of the five people who liked flow-walking in Joiner King. I liked it a lot, really. It was a unique application of the Force, it raised some interesting questions in the text, and it wasn't just time travel.

Bloodlines' use was far less interesting. It was basically time travel; Jacen gets in his Force DeLorean and goes back to 19 BBY, sees the sights, and comes back to the future.

And Inferno...that was just weird. It wasn't straight time travel; like Joiner King, it was a distinct application of the Force with its own unique properties. And like Joiner King it raised plenty of questions, but I'm not sure that they were as good as the ones from TJK. There's some inconsistencies in it, and maybe they're intended to make the whole thing a little more mystical (I'm sounding like McEwok), maybe not...really, it's hard to say how I feel about its use in the book. But really, it's about the limit of how far I want to see it pushed. Any more than that and we get a straight substitute for time travel and all the problems that entails, and I don't think flow-walking should ever become that.
  9. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Extensive timeline rewriting to retcon a typo? I love it!! :D
  10. snelson Force Ghost

star 4
    will not happen hermione granger once said in POA that if harry walked in on himself harry 1 would thimk he gone mad she also sdaid terrible things happen when wizards mess with time. if jacen did go back in time and appeared to jacen 1 he would think he'd gone mad and would attack him.
  11. Ashandarei Force Ghost

star 4
    I wouldn't be upset if Jacen flow-walked back to before he learned how to flow-walk and slapped himself so hard back then that he gave up on his quest for ultimate powah through more knowledge of the Force, thus removing his own knowledge of flow-walking as well.

Then again, anything that gives us a future where the Solo family isn't utterly screwed is fine with me.
  12. CernStormrunner Jedi Master

star 4
    Dude, Harry Potter is fiction.

We're talking about Star Wars here.

[face_whistling]
  13. Jodus Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can see it now...Jacen goes back in time...slaps himself and tells him not to go looking for more power. Past Jacen asks how this is possible, Future says "I can time travel with the force." and then leaves.

Past Jacen says to himself "daaaaaamn, I gotta learn how to do that."
  14. Earthknight Jedi Master

star 4

LMAO [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That little drawing is priceless!
  15. Emperor_Time Jedi Master

star 4
    I love the drawing too. [face_love] But what I think Jacen will do is flow walk to the future for once and stay there at the year of 140 A.B.Y. [face_dancing]
  16. julioangelortiz Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm also one of the five who loves the whole concept of flow-walking.

Just sayin'.
  17. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That would be an ok solution. Better than him dying.
  18. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I hate myself for knowing what he's talking about.
  19. EwoksRTinyWookiees Jedi Padawan

I am not a big fan of time travel unless it is the crux of a sci-fi story. Star Wars has so many great and unique aspects of the wonderful galaxy created by Lucas and expanded on by these great writers (comic and novel) that throwing time travel in is just not needed. This also raises so many questions that it would really convolute the whole continuity already established and re-establishes and retconned. Without getting into ontological and predestination paradoxes lets just assume that everything happens for a reason in the SW universe and that any flow walking changes would be negated a la H.G. Wells' Time Machine (2002 remake starring Guy Pierce) Allow me to elaborate for those unfamiliar, The protagonist travels back in time to prevent his girlfriend's murder at the hands of a robber. He does this but his girlfriend is then killed by a startled horse. What is meant to happen will happen. Nothing not even the Force can change that.
  20. Emperor_Time Jedi Master

star 4
    But the original H.G. Wells' Time Machine book just has the protagonist look for a communist society without even trying to go back in time at all though. :-B
  21. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Communist society?:confused: I have no recollection whatsoever about a search for such in the book. The Eloi, after all, are the descendants of the upper class. There is no equal, egalitarian society in the future, just a huge chasm in humanity that has divided the human race and hidden the (former) lower class underground and left just the Eloi on the surface of the world. Although it has been a long time since I read the book last time. And in the end of the book I remember that he has disappeared during a time travel, where he attempted to travel back in time.
  22. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Well, the original book does have the Time Traveler encounter a second race of Fascist human beings in the time period between the Eloi and his own.

of course, I always felt the Time Machine was fairly messed up as the Eloi were animals while the seemingly civilized Morlocks were murdered because of their horrific appearance by the Time Traveler.
  23. NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Too bad more useful people don't flow walk. I wonder if the 10000 Sith running everything in Legacy has anything to do with flow walking.
  24. Shadojoker Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL..agreed!!

Shadojoker
  25. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

This solution would not be acceptable to me. It's basically...

1. Hey! You invested over $100 and a year and a half of your life to waiting for/reading this books. In a franchise where continuity is so important....None of this ever happened!

2. We intend to go on with the series and take it a different direction. Hopefully it will work out the way we want this time or else hey! There is always that flow walking thing!

I also find it unlikely because it would amount to Troy Denning throwing himself, Alston, and Travis under the bus and saying "We wrote something so horrible that it can't stay in Star Wars at all." Keep in mind that the series apparently has been selling quite well so nobody is probably even thinking along these lines.

If they need to reboot, reboot completely. Otherwise.....no wiping out nine books.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.