main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Flyers about our soon to be fanforce...

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedisister, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Here's a thought that I got from Bobafemme.
    Would we want to make up some flyers or cards about our soon to be fanforce to hand out at the Celebration? If so, is there anyone who could do them up? If you like this idea please post, if someone has the means to do it inexpensively, let us know,you can PM me and we can plan from there. If on the otherhand, no one likes this idea, thats ok, don't post!! Or say not a good idea! Thanks.

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Any number of us could whip something up at Kinko's. The question is how does one accurately target fellow Wisconsinites at a nationwide Con?

3. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, I guess we don't, we just hand them out to whomever and hope some are from Wisconsin. Its also a great way to maybe esstablish other contacts just to get to know more fans nation and world wide even.

4. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    My impression is that the Fan Force table will have stacks of flyers from various clubs and will give them to whoever stops by. Thus when designing the flyers, it would be a good idea to have the name very prominent on the flyer, and perhaps use colored paper to help them stand out.

~H~

5. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Thanks for the ideas Darth! I appreciate that. :)

6. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    An image of the state would help too. People from Wisconsin will recognize the shape of their own state on a flyer. I'm thinking something big and eye catching, like a ghosted background or something.

7. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Might want to consider handing them out a little closer to home as well. Like the perfect example would be the Conn at MSOE as well as toy lines at the TRU's. Then we know /for sure/ we're reaching both people interested in SW AND they're within driving distance.:)

8. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    The FanForce table will have flyers from the official chapters of the people who volunteer, then any official chapter (of course there should be enough space). Any other FF affiliated flyers will be distributed as space allows.

edit: no copyrighted images are allowed. :( LFL policy. This means your options for SW-pretties are really cut down. You can use whatever you want on your flyers off of LFL turf.

edit 2: leaving flyers at comic shops in your area or theaters helps (with manager permission, of course)

9. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    We can't use LFL images for non-profit purposes? Are you sure you're interpreting the copyright law correctly?

10. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I am not intrepretting, suggesting, advising. I'm just saying, what you want to do off of LFL turf is your own call. There won't be any of his images at the FF table.

11. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, I think it's an excellent idea to do that at the TRU lines and MSOE. Not being the best propagandist myself, does someone want to make up a flier that we can distribute? I'm really good at distributing!

12. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I am a Desktop Publisher & Graphic Designer for a living, and have access to a lot of software and tools here at work after hours. I'm a professional and I'd be more than willing to help out by creating official-looking bi-monthly newsletter designs & typing. Here is a sample newsletter I did in quickly today to show as a sample:

http://www.geocities.com/6footcity/sample.jpg

I'm talking about a manual newsletter, and I'll leave it to jedisister to make the online one since she already started it.

I type 90 words per minute, and if someone gathers the info and sends it to me, I have a P.O. Box (or you can e-mail me the info). Let me know if I can be of service.

13. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    ummm...

excuse my ignorance but what is a "serif"?

14. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Serifs are those little things that stick of the ends of characters of certain typefaces. Typefaces that don't have them are called "sans-serif." For example, characters in the Times New Roman typeface have serifs; characters in Arial do not.

Not to be confused with Seraphs.

15. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    If anyone who is going to TRU and MSOE would be willing to make up some flyers and distribute them at these events, that would be great. I ask that if you can volunteer please say, "Yes, I'll be the one to do this." and then make enough to give to at least 3 others (lets say 25 flyers each). If anyone else wants to make some up also, that's great, just so there is someone for sure who is going to the events and will have something to hand out and enough for those who want to hand them out. Don't forget to add "soon to be official" somewhere on the flyer. Thank you to all who volunteer! If, by the way, no one wants to do this, that's ok, just let us know if its not going to happen.

16. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Yes, I'll be the one to do this.

I just need to know what it has to say.

17. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    If someone is going to print flyers, we will be at the 27th street TRU in Milwaukee. Might as well maximize the territory. Bishop, I'm assuming you'll be at Brookfield? And BOYB, I have no idea which one you're closest to but I think Bishop said Brookfield but then again, it's that whole attention span thing again. Anyway, since the big TRU Last-man-standing toy melee will be before the next '0fficial meeting' people can probably post if they're doing the toy store thingy and where. (Two stores in Wisconsin only..Brookfield and 27th street) I'm sure when Dwayne logs on he'll probably start a new thread on this..and if there is an flyer that we're supposed to use might want to post a downloadable version on the Website so we can make copies.:)

Marcy

18. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    As long as we're talking about advertising what about those t-shirts (what better
    way to advertise than a walking talking flyer)

someone, i think Que volunteered to design the t-shirt just wondering
    if there is anything to see yet.

EDIT: For thoes who weren't at the meeting t-shirts are 8$

19. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, I'll gladly hand out some fliers (and I *WILL* be at the Brookfield TRU). I will also be willing to make up some fliers myself, but I would *PREFER* it if someone else did that (like I said earlier, I'm not real good with propaganda). Anyway, if I don't hear from anyone with a flier design by... let's say Saturday, I'll just design my own (more than likely crappy) flier.

20. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    BYOB, I liked the design you came up with. Could you post that link so people can see it and then decide if it should go on the fliers? The TRU thing is what the 22? So, could you post the design w/a poll, yea or nay for the flyer by sometime tomorrow, and make a note for everyone to have their votes in say by Fri. so you can get them ready before hand. I'll PM you as to what you can put on them.

If anyone else has a design, get it posted so we can do a poll starting tomorrow, if possible.

Thanks you for volunteering your time and talents, BYOB_Kenobi!

21. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
  22. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    My only concern is that it looks like a WWF logo...

Anyone else see it?

23. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I had that concern as well.

24. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    It does kind of, though with the letters "W" and "F" it's kind of hard not to, even with the small text at the top and bottom of the box which is traditional SW type stuff. What if "Wisconsin" were at the top, "FanForce" at the bottom (on the lines of the box that is) and "Milwookiee Council" in the center like it was the title of the film/game. Maybe with words instead of letters, it will look less like a wrestling logo.

25. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I think it would also help to change the font of the "wff" part. The font is pretty close to what the wwf uses (I think). You can download several SW fonts that may improve it as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.