main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN FLYERS for AOTC

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by k kanos, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    We have two flyer designs that are uniquely different. Both have their merits. And both are PRELIMINARY and are NOT for distribution at this point. They are just to give us an idea of layout and graphics. The only thing we know for certain thus far is that AOTC premieres May 16th and that we have permission from the Thoroughbred to line-up overnight. We still need to find out:

* What type of fund raising we will be allowed to do for the NDRF at the Thoroughbred

* When tickets go on sale- which will deterimine the date of beginning the ticket line.

* Whether we can get the River to broadcast live and when they would like to do so.

* Are we going to try to have prizes and Giveaways? Or are we going to leave that up to the River and other vendors.

Like Mike (LordINVAR) said, "Think Big and the line event will be big"

Flyer Design 'A'
    [image=http://www.scottjohnstonart.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/scrapbook/NADFLYERSMALL.jpg]
    This design is pretty cut and dry and just states the event and when it is happening. I wanted to keep it simple. The graphic is intended to be like Mystery Science Theater only using familiar STAR WARS characters. In my opinion the graphic is decent, but the wording needs some refinement. Perhaps the wording could look like the scrolling text in a perspective format similar to the opening scroll in STAR WARS. Then below it we could show the the games, prizes, giveways, costumes, fun listings. And if we can get the River to commit to being there we can mention that too. ?[face_plain]

FLYER DESIGN 'B'
    [image=http://www.scottjohnstonart.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/scrapbook/FlyerLayoutASMALL.jpg]
    This design I think really makes the event sound fun. I especially like the Vader quote, "We would be honored if you would join us." The text configuration needs a little refinement. I also like the games, prizes, giveways, costumes, fun listings. The graphic is decent also in using the marquee and, the AOTC poster and showing a line of peiople. While I love the poster by drew Struzan, I'm wondering if we removed that, moved the marquee and the line up to frame the games prizes, costumes, fun and then added and centered the description of the event and that we are rasing funs for the NDRF below. Perhaps we even used poster as a backdrop, like Jango and Obi Wan are shown, but in its entirety, but really make the text "STAR WARS EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES" extremely clear. The best thing I like about this is that it is black and white and reads well. We could definitely keep printing cost down by staying away from color I think. Perhaps we make only a handful of color flyers and put them in key places. We will also see if we can turn a flyer into a slide to be shown at the Thoroughbred with the other advertisements before the movies start.

What do you all think? Let's finalize a design in the next couple of weeks. Then we will distribute them at the meeting on April 6th and ask for contributions for printing costs at that time too. :)

Let's not do anymore work on these until we get all of the suggestions though. Perhaps LordINVAR would be so kind as to finalize the design for us once we are all pretty much in agreement on a design layout. :)

2. padmeamidala55

padmeamidala55 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2001
    I like both of them but i think my favorite is the first one.

3. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    That's a tuffy, Scott. I am going to go with the second one, simply b/c I think it garners urgency in someone while reading it. The first one (while I truly "like" it the best) seems a little too busy. We don't want to turn anyone's attention away and have them lose interest altogether.

I vote #2. :D

4. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    i like #1 best....

#2 was alright, but to wordy for me......if i found it on my car or something i probly wouldn't get past the first line or two...didn't grab me....

just my 1 1/2 cents. ;)

5. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I'm actually partial to Flyer 'B' as well Elan-Rai ;) , but like I said, I would like to see it arranged just a little differently so as to read better at a quick glance than for people to have to sit there for a minute to sift through the text. I love the Marquee and the line :) . It just needs to be simplified a little bit. Mike did an awesome job!!!

I'm also thinking about making a banner of our own for the line since we can't get one. I have access to a large printer that can print one out 3' wide and as long as we need it to be. I liked the one used for the soundtrack with Yoda, but I would change the wording or maybe just type, "Starts here the line does" [face_laugh]

6. RocketX

RocketX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2002
    I assume that #2 will have some color? Right now I think #1 will be responded to better than #2, just because #2 looks somewhat like a concert promotion. I think it could go unoticed without color. They are both good, but #1 is very clear that it has to do with Star Wars. Could we get a printer involved to print some glossy color posters?

7. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    We could if people want to help contribute $$$. There is a printer right down town Franklin from where I work. Kinkos may also give us a good deal.

Here is the banner I thought of hanging above us in line. [face_laugh]

[image=http://www.scottjohnstonart.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/scrapbook/yodabannerV1.jpg]

I'll try to find one that isn't so pixelated.

8. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Hmmm. I would say I like #2 best, but there are many elements from #1 that I would like to see in #2.

Color: Cost aside, the human eye always looks to the area with the most contrast and/or color in an image. But cost is a factor. We should come up with Color and B+W versions and see how much this will cost.

Simplicity: In my years designing web pages and posting on the internet I have learned that people hate to read. The second flyer has a nice bold statement "The Official Star Wars Lineup May 15, 2002 at the Carmike Cinemas Thoroughbred 20." That answers the What, the When, and the Where. The "Games-Prizes-Giveaways-Costumes-Fun" bit, as well as the logo's for the River and Carmike communicate What will happen. The rest is really unnessary. Here is what I have in mind for a basic layout:

The top has the What, When, and Where in large bold text that fills the width of the page.
    www.nashvilleforce.com in a box used as a divider between this upper announcement and the rest of the page.
    Below that would be something similar to the Games-Prizes-Giveaways, etc. bit., then below that there could be logo's for The River, JDRF, Carmike, NAD, etc.
    Below that could be something that says "Visit NashvilleForce.Com for details!"

Then perhaps some kind of Star Wars quote like "We would be honored if you would join us," could be at the bottom.

In other words, I like the graphic design and professional appearance of #2, and I also like the large bold statements that tell you what the What, When, and Where as well as the activities, but it needs to have some of the simplicity and attention-getting ability of #1.

9. Wampa_Stompa

Wampa_Stompa Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    One thing about flyer #1, well two things, actually: 1. In the line "Its the biggest...", you want to put "It's the biggest," don't forget the apostrophe. 2. "premiere" is spelled incorrectly. Just thought I'd point those minor things out. Great flyers, though.

10. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    Good points everyone! Keep them coming. I was just thinking we could use a front view image of the outside center section of the Thoroughbred and juxtapose the line and marquee right over the top of it. to help people visualize. The center section says CARMIKE CINEMAS
    THOROUGHBRED
    That would help visually I think in not only repeating where we are lining up, but also giving an image of the theater. Just the center section though, not the length of it. We don't want to get the flyer looking to busy. It should maybe say:

IT'S THE BIGGEST MOVIE EVENT OF THE YEAR!
    Join fellow STAR WARS fans around Middle Tennessee as they gather for

EPISODE II
    ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    (graphic logo)
    AT CARMIKE CINEMAS THOROUGHBRED20 For The Greatest Line Party Event of the Summer!!!

On the left is the image of the front of the Lobby portion of the Thoroughbred with the STAR WARS marquee and line juxtaposed on top of that. To the right is the * GAMES *PRIZES *COSTUMES *FUN
    Also underneath that is the 107.5 The River logo and "Broadcasting Live!"

The Nashville Fan Force Chapter will also be helping the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation by raising funds at this event.

Underneath the line-up graphic is:
    "THE ATTACK BEGINS ON MAY 15th, 2002"

At the bottom is:

Visit www.NASHVILLEFORCE.com for Details.

How does that sound?

11. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm totally diggin' the MST3K version.

12. LordINVAR

LordINVAR Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    Howdy folks.

Thanks for all the kind comments on the flyer design.

As I told kanos, the design is a first-draft rough of possibilites and ideas to finalize a more concrete flyer/ad/web graphic for the Line-up and line party.

I did it in black and white for the sole purpose of quick turnaround on my end (as it is just a layout) - and for easy reproduction in case several of these needed to be printed to show other forum members at your meetings.

Please note that any design we finalize can be done in both full color, 2 or 3 color and black and white for whichever print vehicle is available to us. I plan on designing the flyer in full color and transposing the final to whatever our print needs are.

The screened montage of Struzan's poster in the background is just a sample of a concept for a subtle screen for type overlay. I have an idea to create a unique montage of Episode II images I possess (such as the gunships - the pissed-off Yoda - the Jedi in the arena etc.) I would like to create that montage in full blazing color that can be transposed to black and white and a screened background vignette for web pages, banner ads, other posters etc. The idea is to create a montage graphic that will be used with your logo to identify that montage with your group. No one else will have such a graphic.

Also for the art of the crowd of folks lined up at the bottom, if folks have photos of the Episode I lineup at the H-27, and can post that photo or e-mail me a JPEG - I can possibly use them also. You can see that a 'line' of folks is the idea under the marquis.

Kanos discussed the idea of creating a banner with: "Begun this ticket line has". I can create a full-color graphic of not only Yoda, but maybe the montage, your logo (in brilliant 3-D) your web addy, the charity and whatever sponsors we can obtain. If the sponsors can chip-in some funds to create such a banner to hang on the front of the theatre - I have sources that can four-color print the design directly onto banner material - up to 25 feet across. It is expensive to print, but the sponsors may help us offset the cost and I would create the art and get it hi-resolution press ready gratis to the club.

You have seen the kinds of montage 'wallpapers' that exist on the net for Star Wars desktops - that kind of art is my specialty (Industrial graphics anyway) - and is what I have in mind.

Those worried about too much copy - yes, Less Is More, but at the same time we need all the pertinent information and sponsor plugs to get help with offsetting the costs.

The ads I'm running up here in KY will need alot more info than for folks down in your area that are familliar with the location and such.

I am indeed thankful for the opportunity to serve you folks, and look forward to getting in line with you in May. We have a little bit of time (but not too much) so whatever consensus and direction you want to provide before finalizing on the concept is welcome.

If you wish to see a low res layout of the montage idea I have in my head - you'll need to give me a week, but I can try to flesh out my ideas and again upload them to kanos for posting here.

13. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    We really haven't discussed sponsors in detail. I don't expect the charity to chip in for this either. So, as awesome as making our own professional quality banner goes, I don't know how we would get outside help. I see that some of the other groups have gotten sponsors, but how do you ask a business to help foot the bill for our own amusement? We also can't guarantee them advertising except from the flyers. Any suggestions or proactiveness in regards to getting sponsors would be appreciated. :) I'll start another thread for sponsors.

LordINVAR, I'm also wondering if you might be able to do a version with the Mystery Science theater graphic. It seems that a lot of people like it. I'll clean up the STAR WARS logo (it got clipped a little in the selection process) and E-mail it to you. ;)

14. LordINVAR

LordINVAR Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    kanos,

You already had some good ideas on the other thread to garner sponsors.

There's going to be thousands of us in line - so any premiums with logos for mugs, T-shirts, pennants, pens and so-forth the NashvilleForce could distribute if they sign on to be a sponsor.

You can set rates for logo placements on the large color banner and the flyers/ads etc if you are able. That may offset any cost to print a color line banner.

We can create logo graphics for helium balloons to be given out as well as other premiums and prizes with logos on them.

One other idea to to create an 'Official' AOTC NASHVILLE LINE PARTY PROGRAM that can be printed that has detailed info about the club, the charity and each sponsor. The 'Program' could include a timetable of events - a space to place your midnight show tickets, some pics from Episode I line, spots for the club Officers and those at the front of the line to sign autographs and maybe even the Thoroughbred 20 managers and radio station personalities can sign autographed copies to be raffled off. Think of it as a Premiere Yearbook!

Such programs you can also CHARGE for - to offset printing costs. Lotsof folks like memorabilia - as I have an official ROTJ Theatre program from a local theatre that I cherish.

Local restaurants and stuff could be included also - and you can charge for ad space if someone is able to pound some pavement out there.

It's all Non-profit - proceeds benefit charity after costs to print stuff - so it's a win-win for everyone.

Whaddya think?

I'll post this on over at the other thread as well for feedback.

15. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Here we go. This is the FINAL flyer for the Episode II line-up. LordInvar & I collaborated on this effort. I'll fire these to Kinkos and get about 500 zeroxes to start. We'll run off more if we need to.

[image=http://scottjohnstonart.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/scrapbook/Flyerlowres.jpg]

The quality is the same as the flyers I'm having printed out If you have time, you can even save it to a floppy or CD (It's only 761 kbytes) and take it to Kinkos. They can have it done for you quickly, and printouts in black & white are only about $0.05 a copy (the same as a zerox)! That's 20 copies for $1 and the print quality is way better than a copier.

EDITThis flyer is actual size for printing. After you click on the image and the web directs you to the actual flyer. Just right-click on the image. Go to saveas and put the file on your desktop. The best way to print this out is if you have Correl or any other graphics program. They will be able to print it out at it's actual size. Don't try to print it off internet explorer as it will enlarge the image, thus cropping it.

IF YOU WANT TO HELP, THEN YOU CAN PASS OUT FLYERS FOR MIDNIGHT MADNESS TOMORROW. That's probably the only immediate local event, other than the line-up where we are going to reach fellow STAR WARS fans in the Nashville area directly. Print out 20 if you can. Put them up in the mail Kiosks in apartment complexes. I've been putting up about 20 every other day in each mail kiosk. by the next day, they are totally gone, or there has only been 1 left. The STAR WARS fans are out there. We just need to reach them. Also, if you plan on going to TRU the next mornign when they open. Take some along with you then and hand them to people that are looking at the STAR WARS toys. Don't expect cashiers to do this for you, as you probably have a snowballs chance in hell, because they have to ask their manager, who will have to ask the district manager, who in turn will have to ask corporate, who in turn then asks Satan (just kidding ;) ) , but it sure seems that way lately. The movie will be over by the time they get through all the red tape. Just do it yourself. Probably the best way to do this, so that you get to enjoy the toy hunt too, is to get there before the doors open and pass them out to people BEFORE you all enter the store. :)

16. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Uppers! Check out the Edit I just made. This is the final image you can save and print out for Midnight Madness tomorrow night.

17. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    that thing was so big it took 3 or 4 tries to get the page to load....

I ran it through ACDSee and reduced the file size to 229K.

18. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Is that better? I lowered the dpi to 72 instead of 150

19. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    It loaded much quicker for me that time. Anyone with a 56k dialup or slower have any trouble?

20. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Any word yet from the Thoroughbred if we can leave/post flyers durign Spideman?

21. LanceWindu

LanceWindu Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2002
    I don't see why not.

Wouldn't it possibly give them more buisness?

Nice poster BTW.

Also Scruff I have a 56k modem and it loaded pretty fast for me.

22. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Please remember to put flyers out on cars at whatever theater you end up seeing Spider-man at Friday or Saturday. If you are going to the Thoroughbred 20 in Cool Springs, let me know ASAP. Even though I'm leaving for Celebration Thursday, I can leave a box of flyers with my friend at the Pet shop Bone DuJour that is right next to the Thoroughbred in the little strip mall to the right of the building. However, they close at 7:00 I believe, so you must get there before then. Just let me know so I can leave the flyers with them. If you are going to a separate theater, you can very easily download the above file, save it to disc and take it to Kinkos before you go. They are only about .05 cents a copy. if you run say about 250 thats about $10. Zerox copies there are the same price but lesser quality. OR, if you have access to a copy machine you can use that. Thanks to everybody that can help with this.

Could someone please let me know if they plan on going to the Hollywood 27? We need at least someone to go there for Spiderman to put flyers on cars opening night. This is really the only theater I can see that might give us a line-up conflict as that is where we all went to see Episode I at. Unfortunately the theater and area it is in has gone down hill in the last three years, which is one of the primary reasons we are having our line-party at the Thoroughbred.

23. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Unless anything changes, I plan to place a few at Wynnsong 16 in M'Boro, and maybe a few around MTSU campus. Is there anyone who can cover H27, Thoroughbred, and the Watkins college event Matt mentioned?

24. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Today I posted flyers in several locations on MTSU campus and a comic shop just off campus. I have a few locations to post a few tommorrow,a nd hopefully the Wynnsong 16 over the weekend.

25. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I'll put some out Friday when I see spiderman....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.