main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Flying and Aussie Flag on your car means you are Racist!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Jan 24, 2012.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    WTH!?!? I have two on my car and racism was the LAST thing I was thinking when I put them there! Crap! I'm an Aussie born and bred, my roots go back to England, Ireland, Germany and further back Jerusalum! I know that, and I'm proud of all that but I'm an Aussie now and the very fact some academic thinks it makes me racist is insane!!! It doesn't matter if you were born here or you chose to be here, being Australian is Being Australian! I do think you should become a citizen if you want to call yourself Australian, but that's where it ends for me....I fly my flags like millions of others because tomorrow is Australia Day and we are SUPPOSED to celebrate our differences! Get a life Professor Farida Fozdar....

Read this and roll your eyes!!

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    "Oh for crying out loud." - Jack O'Neill

Australia Day has been celebrated for much longer than cars has been in the country and the nation comes together to celebrate it. We are a multi-cultural island/continent and part of the British Empire, how does a small scale version of the nation's flag on a mode of transportation symbolises that an individual is racist? It sounds like the University of WA put out that study just to garner a reaction and publicity on the eve of celebrations.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    That's exactly what my husband said, and they probably have shares in the little flags we are all displaying! I know I saw ALOT MORE of them this year and I'm sure people raced out and bought them when the story broke!

4. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Having read the original article, it didn't say that if you flew the flag you were racist, it said those who were racist were more likely to fly the flag.
    Not that I found the article necesary in the first place (Racists identify with patriotism? Well I never!) but it was interesting to watch this whole thing unfold and count the people I knew who seemed to get all their news from skim reading other people's facebook statuses.