main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Focus

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediDrew, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    Hi... I'll be starting a new film soon and I have a Canon Gl2. I want to be able to kick things out of focus while other thing in the backround or on the foreground stay in focus. I know my camera has the manual focus option but it never seems to work that well. I can never really get anything out of focus without making the whole picture out of focus, OR, if I get it, I only BArely get it, and if the onbject in focus where to move even a little it would be out of focus.

I've searched for diiferent lenses for the GL2 online but was unsuccesful.

Can anyone help me out. Thanks.

2. Vigilante74

Vigilante74 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2004
    What you're looking to accomplish is called depth of field. You accomplish depth of field by using different focal lengths and aperatures.

Do a search on google for "depth of field" and you will get a million links to learn about it and how to accomplish it. Its one of the elementary aspects of photography that anyone with a camera should learn. It will put you on the right track.

3. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    I achieve good results by zooming in with the camera as far as possible and then going away from the subject I want to film until it is right in frame. Finaly adjust the focus to the subject and you should have a nice DOF.
    When the subject moves out of focus you have to manually adjust the focus until it´s sharp again. In shots with a lot of movement(both subject and camera) it can be really tricky to keep the sharpness at the right point so before shooting the real thing practise first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.