main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Football (Euro 2000 and more)

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by Obi Anne , Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Did anyone see the UEFA cup final yesterday? I just saw it on the sportnews this morning, wow it must have been a wonderful game. It isn't often you get 9 goals in a football game.

2. Yar_Kaii

Yar_Kaii Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    WOAWW! i can tell you: it WAS a brilliant game last night in dortmund! i never saw anything like that before!

liverpool seemed to control the game from the beginning but then alavés came back.
    sadly the spanish club lost. they played brave and good football!

i guess this game is why i love football so much! full of suprising elements, emotions, fight, technic and at least GOALS!

wow, this was a game fans wish to see! no stupid tactic stuff just pure football!

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Watching the champions league final.

I think that the penalty Valencia got was wrong, and that Scholl shot a really bad penalty.

4. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I'd say there were two incorrect penalties. But still it was a good and exciting game.

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    But the referee wasn't good at all, he allowed too much on the field, and then had those bad penaltys.

But I think it was right that Bayern won, they controlled much of the game, and I'm so impressed by Kahn.

6. Yar_Kaii

Dec 8, 2000
    ahhh!

i can´t understand why munich is playing so f~§%&$ well!

i can´t stand this team! i can´t stand the players and i can´t stand their fans!

i guess you didn´t see the interviews after they had won the german championsship last weekend. they don´t celebrate their victory, they just talking about the CL final and their full concentration on it.
    i just can´t understand it: any other team would have going mad if they had won the national title. but the bavarians pretend that it is normal for them the win a cup.

for me as a north-german football freak, it was a horrible bad night. the biggest rival of my club werder bremen is so d%mn successful...

7. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    What can I say: Sorry. :(

8. Yar_Kaii

Dec 8, 2000
    there will be better days for me as a fan of bremen... the saison in germany is over, the teams will have a pause and i can calm down.

So, i think the upcoming games are all international competitions, right?

9. emilsson

Oct 5, 1998
    I suppose so if you don't live in Sweden :).

Yeah, the referee was not good. I agree that Kahn was good, especially one of the saves he did on the penalties.

10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, I think the only things left to discuss are the international games, and the Swedish league.

11. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Sigh... I didn't manage to watch both games... it's so frustrating... especially since I have the worst TV connection around... :(

I think the UEFA Cup final was really exciting (from what I saw from snippets of it), and Alaves really fought back really hard... what I think is really ironic is that Jordi Cryuff scored the equaliser yet in the end it was his father Johann Cryuff who gave the man-of-the-match award to Gary McAllister...

And I think Oliver Kahn really did a fantastic job with the penalties... I can't decide whether Francesco Toldo at Euro 2000 or Kahn in the final was better... :) But Mehmet Scholl's penalty was utter nonsense!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    One year... and more since Brian Laudrup retired... sigh...

I read an article by a lecturer I know that Tore Andre Flo should go home instead of playing for "Huns' money" at Glasgow Rangers... I don't want to judge what he said, but it kind of bothered me... especially as he's a Norwegian...

13. emilsson

Oct 5, 1998
    I thought the Champions league final was something extraordinary, but the Swedish cup final was even more exciting. it took 11 penalties before the game was settled :).

14. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I get your idea, Obi Anne. I read about it in the Singapore news and it really amazed me! Kind of sad, though... when your shot is the one that decides it all...

15. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Sigh. I knew it would come someday or other, but it's finally done. Teddy Sheringham, the Manchester United striker, rejoined his old club Tottenham Hotspur.

Sigh. Teddy was like the last Man U player there was for me to support them...

16. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Sigh... I don't believe it, I was having a discussion with a maths lecturer (I'm only 14, not in University!) whom I know about whether footballers should be responsible for the actions of their fans...

Is it wrong for a footballer to play at a club which has caused the death of many supporters of other clubs? Is it wrong to be a Galatasaray or a Glasgow Rangers fan?

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    No I don't think that the clubs can be responsible. A big part of the problem is that many hooligans are in it for the fighting not for the sport.

18. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    That's what I used to think. Now I don't know how much I dare to believe.

19. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    There will always be stupid people calling themselfs fans of something, but in reality they are only waitting to get in trouble.
    It happens in everything, from religion to sports. You simply can't blame the clubs for somethign that a few dumb people do.

And a bit OOT now, 'm so mad at FIFA for what they did to Fernando Couto! He was suspended from all games including the Irland/Portugal (he was suposed to be able to play in that one) because of dopping tests being positive in Italy. However a Dutch player (I think) had the same problem and is still going to play for Holland! Talk about two measures... :(

20. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I get your idea about Couto, anya, but the thing is that de Boer is also suspended and the reason why Davids isn't (yet) is coz the sample came later...

Although I do think it's quite sad, it doesn't seem likely that all 3 of them would do something so stupid...

About what I mentioned in my earlier post... I was thinking, was it wrong for the players of Glasgow Rangers to play for Rangers in earlier years when they didn't let Catholics play for the club... especially when it promoted such segregation and a lot of Celtic fans have been killed in recent years...

21. Yar_Kaii

Dec 8, 2000
    people say "football is religion". but they never mean the situation in the history in both clubs.

i am shamed that the clubs mix political trouble with sport.

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Davids wont be allowed to play either.

It's a hard question if the players are responsible or the clubs managers when they are having such a bad policy. I think that every player had a reason to play, and that it's hard to state something generally about them. Some might have liked the policy, some might just have wanted to play football.

23. Lamja

Lamja Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2001
    What is SPOILER FREE ?

24. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    It means that you are spoiler free. :D

Well, it's the moto of all that frequent the Ep2&3 NS(Non-spoilers). Basicly, it means that you don't want to know much about what happens in Ep2&3 before they come out.

And about Couto: Three days before the game (Ireland/Portugal which is on right now), FIFA wrote a document or a letter saying that he could play in this game, but when the Portuguese team got to Ireland they were told that Couto wouldn't be able to play! (And the Italian federation still hasn't said what his punition will be...)

25. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    It's so ridiculous, FIFA is changing what they say technically on the spot!!!

Davids will be banned in due course... sigh... it's hard to have 3 people banned at the same time and to accept it just like that...

Life is definitely going to get worse for the Dutch team...

Obi Anne, I liked your point about why they don't speak out. Yes, I suppose you're right. Thanks for that... it kind of reassured me...

Anyone watched the world cup qualifiers yesterday? Denmark won the Czech Republic, I'm so happy! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.