main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For All That Is Unspoken..(JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HannahBates, Jul 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    Obi is human. if it is bad enough he will tell nobody. what if his dreams are of the jedi dying. would you want to go telling everyone about that dream?

2. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Obi-Wan is what 13 or so years old? Qui-Gon is 40+, that alone gives him way more responsibility in how he acts in this situation. There just isn't any excuse for the way Qui-Gon is acting here, even if Obi-Wan was really just out and out lying for no good reason. He's practically calling him names.

It's the middle of the night, the kid has just had a terrifying nightmare--and Qui-Gon immediately tells him to get packed basically. How about stating tensely--"I am extremely disappointed by your decision not to be truthful with me, Obi-Wan. You know this is a serious thing as Padawans are called upong to be truthful with their masters at all times. We will discuss the consequences of your actions in the morning." You know, acting like the adult and Jedi master he is? Not as dramatic for sure, but certainly much more effective. Everything Qui-Gon says, everything he is thinking during this incident is very much focused on himself, on how he feels, on what he wants--as per usual. Perhaps had he focused, really focused, on his padawan, on his padawan's suffering and what he needed, he would have seen a better way of handling the situation to begin with and it wouldn't have come to this.

Sounds to me like someone needs a "timeout". ;)

3. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    This is great so far, Qui Gon does need a time out [face_plain]

4. HannahBates

HannahBates Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 20, 2001
    Wow, we have quite the debate raging here. I don't know if it would be cheating for me to throw in my two credits (afterall, I am the writer and I know more about what's really going on), but here I go anyway:

I share Yoda's opinion: this was inevitable. Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's early relationship was too disfunctional for something like this not to happen. They are both at fault, for they are both giving in to their insecurities. Yes, Obi-Wan should not have lied. But he has his reasons, and they are understandable (this next post may shed a little light on that topic). And yes, Qui-Gon should have not acted so harshly. But he is just getting over two major betrayals (this is shortly after M/D) and lying is a major offense. Notice that not even Yoda defended Obi-Wan's dishonesty. And Yoda is willing to allow the apprenticeship to end, he just wants Qui-Gon to see the whole picture first.

Well, there's my humble opinion. I'm thrilled that my story has inspired such heated discussion.

So now for the bad news: Darth RL has struck and struck hard. The results for my summer research are due on Friday and all my programs are crashing. Sometime in the next three days I have to fix my programs, run them, and write up the results. Needless to say, this means that my SW writing time has vanished. I have a short post for you today, and I'll try to have another short post ready for tomorrow, but I can't make any promises.

And now, on to the story:

After leaving Yoda's quarters, Qui-Gon had no choice but to return home. He took his time making his way through the temple to the rooms he and Obi-Wan shared. He was in no hurry to see his former apprentice. When he finally arrived at their quarters, he was surprised to sense that young Kenobi was not there. Extremely relieved that there would be no confrontation, Qui-Gon entered the main common room.

The place seemed wrong. At first, Qui-Gon couldn't quite put his finger on what exactly was out of order. All the furniture was present and in its usual arrangement. There was nothing unusual lying about. The room was quite tidy, which was to be expected since Qui-Gon was rather neat and preferred an organized home.

But organized didn't mean empty, and that was how the room felt. Walking around slowly, Qui-Gon realized the source of his unease. The table had only one stack of datacards on it: a pile of mission briefings and unfinished mission reports. There used to be a stack of Obi-Wan's homework assignments next to it. And that wasn't the only change. The picture of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon at Obi-Wan's padawan induction ceremony was missing from the mantle. There was one, not two, novels sitting on the end table. It was as if no one except Qui-Gon had ever shared this room.

Stunned, Qui-Gon moved to Obi-Wan's bedroom. It was totally vacant. The shelves were clear, and the closet was empty. A piece of flimsy lay on the bed next to a small box. In disbelief, Qui-Gon sat on the bed and slowly reached for the note next to him. It was written in shaky, barely legible writing. It was the penmanship of a teenage boy, Obi-Wan's handwriting.

Dear Master Jinn,

Master Tahl helped me move my things. I'll be staying with her until I'm assigned to different quarters. I figured that the sooner I moved out the less painful it would be for both of us.

I am sorry that I wasn't completely honest with you. But I know that if I had told you the full truth, the end result would have been the same. I guess I'm not meant to be your padawan after all. The truth is that I shouldn't be a Jedi, and it's better for everyone if I end my training now. That's the truth I didn't want you to find out, the truth I was trying to hide.

I know you think that I failed and betrayed you just as Xanatos did. Please know that I have nothing but respect for you and that I am grateful for every day that I was your apprentice. If I was dishonest, it was only because I wanted more than anything to continue as your padawan. You have every right to be angry with me, but I hope that y

5. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Aaarrrrggghhh! *pulling hair out* And my hair is already thin enough! Short, frustrating, great post, Hannah! I feel sorry for both of them. Both of them are so caught up in their own insecurities that they can't stop hurting one another. Of course we know it will all turn out okay in the end, it's just the getting there that's the hard/fun part. Personally, I'd like to get them both in a room and smack the both of them over the head and say, "Now talk to each other!" But, nooooo, we have to wait! ;) Hope Darth RL eases up on you soon.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    lOL!! Loved reading everyone's ideas about who's being thickheaded. I agree with those who say both are at fault... plus..don't forget to blame the writer of the story [face_devil]. We all love to see Obi-Wan insecure and Qui cool and aloof only for them to be brought back together. :) :)

And that post... awwww. Don't I just LOVE to see the big, powerfully built Qui-Gon Jinn succumb to his emotions. [face_mischief] Makes wanna give the big guy a great big hug and tell him everything will be alright. :D :D

Great post Hannah! Take care of what needs to be done and know we'l be patiently *cough* waiting for the next one. :) :)

7. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    This is just Jedi torture in every way. Poor Qui, poor Obi. Not to mention READER TORTURE! Poor readers.

8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Obi's pulling the "poor little me" thing? Sigh...

It's DEFINITELY reader torture! Okay, Hannah, don't worry. We will all grab our lightsabers and attack Darth RL (a Sith hasn't got a chance against us, and.. and... and...) :)

Well, anyway... good luck cleaning things up. We'll wait for you to sort it all out. Just check in here every now & then so we know you're not dead, okay?

(Which reminds me, time to go nag Alli-Wan... if you're not all reading her "Jedi Dreams," YOU SHOULD BE!) :) She's done the best characterization of Qui-Gon I've ever seen on these boards... but she's another cliffhanger queen...

9. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    This pretty much sums up everything

Poor everybody!!!!!

So can we go after Darth RL now?

10. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Death to Darth Real Life!

Or, we just wait patiently for HannahBates. She did say her projects were due Friday, right? That means she can devote her entire weekend to this story ;)

A very nice post, by the way. I'll be very interested in seeing how Qui goes about finding out what Obi is dreaming and why he has such strong shields. Also liked the part where Qui-Gon compared some of Obi-Wan's letter to Xanatos' behavior, but at the same time he was concerned that Obi thought he wasn't worthy to be a jedi.

Qui needs to stop feeling sorry for himself. I wouldn't mind giving the big guy a comforting hug either, but what he needs is a kick in the butt. Maybe Tahl will do us the favor, since Obi is staying with her.

Hope you find time to post for us tomorrow. Good luck on your projects!

11. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Good work HannahBates!
    Bad Qui-gon! What does he expect from Obi-wan? First he flips out on the poor kid and then is surprised when he comes back and the apartment is empty, I think I would have been out of there pretty fast too, if I were obi-wan that is...Poor guys the really need to get their act together if they want their realationship to work the way it should.

12. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    Obi is NOT pulling the "poor little me" thing

First Qui told him to pack. so he did. and he left.

Second Qui hurt him badly, cuz of the dream which Obi is unwilling to share, so would you want to face the person, who is making you lose your knighthood?

Third, it was right of obi to write the letter, so Qui could know where he was. so he would not think that obi ran out of the temple and maybe got hurt. And Obi probably wanted to say he was sorry and that was the best he could come up with

do I need to go on?

13. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    I concur Cheryl_Kenobi!!!!!

14. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Obi-Wan...good.
    Qui-Gon...bad.

And I immediately volunteer for the extremely distastefull (smirk, snicker, wink, wink) job of spanking the aforementioned bad Qui....

JediCandy

15. HannahBates

HannahBates Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 20, 2001
    I didn't mean for it to sound like Obi was saying "poor little me." I didn't want Obi to take the coward's way out, so I had him leave the letter. I also wanted him to apologize for lying and to offer some sort of explanation for his dishonesty. I meant for the letter to show that Obi had accepted Qui's decision, not that he was wallowing in pity.

Also, to all those who think Qui is out of line: I tend to agree with you a little. But do remember that Obi didn't just say that he didn't want to talk about his shielding. He pretended that he didn't know what Qui was talking about. There's a BIG difference there.

Healer Leona, I so agree with the whole wanting to hug Qui-Gon thing. And p_scotts, I too want to get Obi and Qui in a room and not let them out until they get their act together. I just watched TPM again last night and those two need some serious help.

Good news: my program is running. I should have a post ready for tomorrow afterall. It may not be long, but it will be something.

Good night everyone!

16. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Congrats on getting the program up and running, that is great news!!!!! I can't wait to read the post I am certain will be ready for us tomorrow.

Your story is certainly getting a debate going, a sign of a well written story! All I can say is my sympathy does belong to Obi, he is a young boy who needs guidance not condemnation. Granted I am *very* partial to Obi, I wont say how I feel about Qui (canon Qui that is) because the last time I did someone called me a very nasty name and told me in no uncertain term just how stupid I am. I do have to say I got quite a kick out of someone defending a fictional character with such venom :D :D

17. Obi-wan's Padawan

Obi-wan's Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2000
    I am glad you got your program running and I can't wait to read your next post!!

I have to say my sympathies are with Obi as well. As much as I like Qui, he definitely could have handled this situation better. Hopefully he learns something as he carries out Yoda's instructions!!

Also the letter didn't come across to me as Obi pulling the "poor little me" thing.

18. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    I agree with Cheryl. Poor Obi Wan. I think that the letter was sad. Qui Gon need to get his apprentice back. Great Post. UP:)

19. Firedrake88

Firedrake88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    Aaarggg!

I've been trying to log on for the longest time to post but it wouldn't accept my password! Anyway...this is a great story that I am enjoying immensely, I can't wait to see how it all works out!!!! Usually I don't like that I'm behind pretty much everyone time zone wise but now I'm happy 'cause by the time I wake up and get online there's usually another part of this story to read!

Anyway, about the Qui and Obi debate. I think that they're both at fault. Qui is being too paranoid about suspecting that Obi is just like Xanatos and he *is* overreacting. Lying is a serious offence, but it's not serious enough to kick poor Obi out. On the other hand, Obi shouldn't have lied. He could have said that he would prefer to discuss it later but instead he lied. I think that Obi had a good reason for not wanted to tell Qui what his dreams were about and where he learned to shield and I am eagerly *hint hint hint* waiting to find out what it is.

Can wait to read more!

20. Kaylla_Norn_II

Kaylla_Norn_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2001
    ooooooooooooooooooplease post tomorrow... darth life has me maaaaajorly stressed and an update would be great. That was another excelent post....

21. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Well, 12:45 am here, so that makes it "tomorrow!" I love this story! I do hope I can wait till later today!!!!!!!!!

22. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    **Susie walks in and mentally cracks knuckles. Ready to join (what it has become to be known as) "The Debate"**

I must say that it is a bit difficult not to feel bad for Obi mainly because he is so young and tried so hard to get Qui as his Master. Right now, his whole world has crashed down all around him and, worst of all, it was his fault.

I also think that, though Qui over-reacted and should be play the "adult" part. (listen to Obi and not judge so quickly) This man has been hurt terribly in the past and that quickly scars someone's heart. He, as soon as he realized Obi was lying, saw Xanatos- no question about it.

Though those too are as different as night and day, to Qui, the lying and hiding is Xanatos regardless of what body is doing those deeds.

So, in the end, I think that they both are too blame however Obi still gets more of my sympathy just because he is younger and, right now, is finding his life in over. Anyone that young should never see their future destroyed right before their eyes.

Still, I believe they both need a good smack-down ;)

23. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    I pretty much agree with everything Susie said.Both have issues dealing with insecurity and are afraid to trust someone else.They need to talk to each other if the apprenticeship is going to last.Because, as we can see,there's no way they can work together as a team now.But Obi is younger, and still hasn't learned all of life's lessons,so he's bound to mess up sometimes.And Qui needs to be able to remember Obi is not Xan!

24. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Both Qui & Obi are to blame, but I'd put it at 30% Obi, and 70% Qui.

At 13, Obi should know better than lying directly to a master. As some one said earlier (sorry, to lazy to go back and check to see who) he could have just said he didn't want to talk about it.
    Qui, as has been said before, is the adult and should not have overreacted. He has reasons for why he acted the way he did, but that does not make it right.

I think that both of them have some self pity going. However, the note is , it seems to me, really a reflection of Obi's deep seated insecurities.

Both of them need a good counselor to sit down with them and work on their communication skills and trust issues.

Then again, we wouldn't have much of a story if they did that, eh? Angst is a good thing in a fanfic :)

25. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    **walks in between Obi and Qui who sit on different chairs avoiding each other's eyes.**
    ME: Now, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan. I'm here to help you through your problems of communication.
    QUI: We don't have problems!
    **writes DENIAL really large on note pad.**
    ME: Yes, of course not.
    OBI: All I want is him to give me mush.
    **writes 'AWWWW' really large with little heart around it.**
    ME: Understandable.
    QUI: Maybe if he didn't lie I would.
    OBI: One TIME! Get over it old man!
    **writes what she's having for lunch as Obi and Qui start yelling at each other**

Sorry, just passing time till the next post :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.