For All That Is Unspoken Part II (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HannahBates, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HannahBates Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm back!

Exactly one year ago today I began posting a little story with the working title An Explanation. It was meant to a TPM story explaining Qui-Gon's awful treatment of Obi-Wan during the movie. However, I was bitten hard by a little side note about Obi-Wan having nightmares. Six months and nearly one hundred pages later, Part I of For All That Is Unspoken was concluded.

Now I bring you Part II. Actually, right now I'm just bringing you the prologue for the entire story. The first post of Part II will come tomorrow. Don't worry, it's already written.

For All That Is Unspoken

Summary: The night before the Battle of Naboo, Qui-Gon looks back on his time with Obi-Wan.

Spoilers: The JA books 1-8

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: I'm not George Lucas. He created these characters and he owns them. Lucky him.

PROLOGUE
    He couldn't breathe. He tried, and it hurt. Force, it hurt. But he had so much more to say, all the things that he promised himself that he would tell him someday, like when he was knighted, or maybe when he had a padawan of his own and would understand. But now it was clear that he wouldn't have that chance. It was now or never. Looking up at Obi-Wan, he knew that if he didn't explain everything to him this instant, it would all go unsaid, and the young man would jump to his own conclusions. Given Obi-Wan's perpetual self-doubt and insecurity, he had a pretty clear picture of what those conclusions would be. He had to set the story straight. He tried once again to inhale the air necessary to speak the words his apprentice needed to hear, and once again, his lungs failed him, giving him bolts of staggering pain instead of the breath he needed. Refusing to give up, he reached for the bond he shared with Obi-Wan, but his concentration faltered and the Force would not respond to his call. He could feel its presence all around him, but he couldn't access it. Couldn't use it to accomplish the task his vocal cords were no longer capable of. Just before everything faded, he looked once more into Obi-Wan's eyes and realized with horrible certainty that his padawan would never know the truth. The pain of not being able to reach him, of having to leave so much unsaid between them, far surpassed the fire in his chest. He'd never know the truth. He'd never know. Never know. Never know. Never...

Qui-Gon awoke with a start. He had to tell him now! He had to tell him everything, before it was too late. He'd start with the night Yoda spoke to him, the night of Obi-Wan's twenty-fifth birthday celebration. Then he'd tell him the truth about their subsequent stay at the temple, the truth about the boy, and what really happened in front of the Council. He would leave nothing out. Nothing.

The Jedi Master was half-way out of bed when his conscious mind finally caught up with him. He was on the Queen's transport, on route back to Naboo. His padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, was safe and sleeping in the next room. A quick check through their bond told Qui-Gon that the boy had not been awakened by his master's distress. "Of course he didn't wake up, you old fool," Qui-Gon thought to himself. "He's been shielding ever since your little performance this afternoon."

Qui-Gon slowly lay back down. Now was not the time to bare his soul to Obi-Wan. Right now, the boy was too hurt and upset to hear all that Qui-Gon had to say. He would think that his master was making it all up in an attempt to justify his actions in front of the Council. That is, if he listened at all; Obi-Wan hadn't really spoken to him since their argument earlier that evening. There would be a more appropriate time for explanation later, after all the dust settled. Then a little voice in Qui-Gon's mind whispered "Yes, tell him later. But what if later never came?"

That was when his thoughts returned to his recent nightmare. It had seemed vividly real, and Qui-Gon could still feel the phantom pain in his chest. Tears came to his eyes when he recalled his distress at leaving so much unfinished business with Obi-Wan. Qui
  2. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    OMG!!! Hannah how wonderful to see you here and with part II!!!! I can hardly wait. :D :D

Post often, post soon!!
  3. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hannah!!!! You're back. I am Soooooo glad you are continuing this story, for it and the Ep.II narrative by Jedi-Jae were the two that hooked me on this board in the first place. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the original story - and how I'm looking forward to this one.

Post soon, PLEEEEEZE!!

Great angst - wonderful imagery - and lovely emotional depth, illustrating the Master's love in a way I've never quite seen before - and trust me when I tell you that if you can make ME sympathetic to Qui-Gon, you can work that magic on anybody.

It's wonderful to have this to look forward t again.

CYN
  4. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Master

star 4
    YAY YOUR BACK I'M WAITING MY WHOLE LIFE FOR PART 2 :) !!!!
  5. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ahhh, It's great to have you back! I was so afraid that you were lost to that which is Darth Real Life. Part one was amazing, so much so that I forwent a night of sleep to finish it when I first found it. I loved it!

I cannot wait to see what a year's worth of pondering a fic (and that IS what you were doing the entire time, right? :D ) will ammount to. Oh, now I'm all excited!

~Antigone
  6. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I signed in for a quick peek, and this is what I found :)

Supper can wait, Hannah is back! :D I was so excited when I saw your post. I sent the kids back outside to play and plopped myself down in front of the puter. :D

Like CYN, Unspoken was one of the first fics I read upon finding this wonderful site. I was completely hooked, and read it all in one sitting. Lucky for me, it was all done when I found it :)

With RRK on break and CYN's AUF almost done, i'm really looking forward to this wonderful fic. Can't wait for the next post, Hannah
  7. lt_ketch09 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh my gosh [face_shocked]

Hannah you're back! :D

I loved part one of this story and I'm so looking forward to reading part two.

So happy to know that you didn't disappear completely :D
  8. Wild_Huntress Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm. This looks interesting. I'll have to go dig up the first one somewhere.....
  9. Jedi_Nifet Jedi Master

star 4
    Glad to see you're back, Hannah :)

I'm sure this story will be as good as first one, even better if that is possible ;)

I already started to think how to move you to right next part ;) Good I don't have to :D

Nifet
  10. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Welcome back Hannah.... you were very missed!!!

While this story wasn't my introduction to TFN, it was the first story I was driven to rant in :D :D :D. It also was the first time I read others who held the same opinion of a certain master as myself! For a very long time I thought I was the only one who held those opinions. I look very forward to seeing more!!!!!
  11. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I am so glad to see you back. Unspoken and some little stories by Alliwan are what got me hooked an this place soo long ago (well, it feels that way) :)

I can't wait for the fun to begin :)
  12. Heather_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks so very promising! Can't wait for more!
  13. Jedi_Grace Jedi Padawan

YAAYYYY! Hannah is back! You have no idea how happy I was when I went to the boards and I saw For All that is Unspoken Part II! I think that my mom is still wondering why I screamed when I saw it and couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day! I read your fic a while back, but it's one of my all time favorites! Anyway, start posting soon, because a lot of anxious fans are waiting! :D
  14. naw ibo Force Ghost

star 5
    Woohooo! Hannah, great that you are back. I remember we had some great ranting in For All That is Unspoken Part I. :D It will be great to see where you take us with Qui-Gon's ruminations on his relationship with Obi-Wan.
  15. Jenny_ Jedi Youngling

??????????????????????????????????????
  16. HannahBates Jedi Knight

star 1
    [face_blush]
    Wow. I'd never dreamed of such a warm welcome back to the boards. I'm thrilled by the mixture of old-timers ;) who were with me all through Part I, new faces who enjoyed Part I after its completion, and new readers altogether. I'm honored that my story meant so much to so many.

Healer Leona, I don't know if you remember, but you were the first to reply on part I. I'm taking the deja vu as a good omen. And to all familiar faces who kept Part I alive during all the times Darth RL just became too powerful: I'm so happy that you're willing and eager to take another trip with me. We did have some fun ranting in Part I, and I can only hope that Part II will inspire such lively debates as well.

The following excerpt is the conclusion of Part I and the prologue for Part II. Like I said, you don't NEED to read Part I first, but I do recommend it. For those who haven't read Part I, the basic jist is: (mild but not major spoilers)

Obi-Wan lies to Qui-Gon at the age of thirteen. Qui-Gon still has a betrayal complex over the whole Xanatos thing and disowns Obi-Wan. After a LONG road of angst, Qui-Gon finally takes Obi-Wan back (big surprise there ;)) and Obi-Wan promises never to betray Qui-Gon again. Then we jump twelve years forward in time to reach:

"Now you're the one doing the betraying," Qui-Gon's conscience reminded him as he came out of his reverie, the image of that garden being replaced by his room on Queen Amidala's transport. What had happened in front of the Council that afternoon was no less of a betrayal than Obi-Wan's lie had been. "No, it was far worse," Qui-Gon realized. For while Obi-Wan had destroyed a tenuous, barely formed trust all those years ago, he had thrown away a trust that had growing for over a decade. With one callous statement Qui-Gon had erased twelve years of friendship and devotion. His and Obi-Wan's relationship had regressed back to its long ago state of two strangers sharing a Force-willed training bond.

"No." Qui-Gon whispered. "No, we are not strangers. We will never be strangers again. We will get through this. I will repair the damage that I have done, and Obi-Wan will understand why I did what I did. He'll forgive me; Force knows he has enough practice doing that." This wasn't the first time Qui-Gon's foolish rashness had hurt Obi-Wan, but Qui-Gon promised himself that it would be the last. It was a promise he had made and broken more times than he cared to recall.

"You might keep this one, old man." Qui-Gon muttered to himself. "If for no other reason than the fact that Obi-Wan won't be your padawan long enough for you to hurt him again."

That's how this mess began in the first place, Qui-Gon realized, as his thoughts drifted back to the moment everything had fallen apart. It hadn't started with Anakin at all. It had started with Obi-Wan's twenty-fifth birthday party...

That's it for the recap. The first new post will come tomorrow (Saturday). A word of warning though: this summer I'm on Pacific time and I am not a morning person. This means that for those of you on the east coast, "tomorrow" means late afternoon/evening, and "tonight" means the wee hours of the morning.

Once again, thanks for the enthusiastic welcome. Readers like you make me eager to keep writing.
  17. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Pacific time?? Not a problem :) On the east coast myself, but it's no biggie.

So, are we to be able to look forward to daily posts? Or atleast semi-daily posts? :)

Qui seems quite aware of his failings so far, for a change :D Can't wait to see what happened at Obi's birthday party.
  18. LittleJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    HANNAH! YOU'RE BACK!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was checking my watched user list when suddenly i saw that you'd posted today after a long absence and i dashed right over!

I'M SO HAPPY THAT YOU'RE BACK AND POSTING PART 2!

You can bet I'll be here for the whole ride! ;)

*is very happy* ;)

LittleJedi
  19. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hannah, I'm both thrilled and honored to have been able to repeat being first to reply!!

"If for no other reason than the fact that Obi-Wan won't be your padawan long enough for you to hurt him again." --- such a haunting prelude!!!! I look forward to reading no matter the time Hannah!!!
  20. Ginger_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    HANNAH!!! *hugs* You're back and it's a very good start :D Just like before.

Wow has it really been a year since you started posting Part 1? Wow...
  21. JediClare Jedi Master

star 4
    This has been repeated many times, but what the heck.

YOU'RE BACK!! WITH PART II!!

Eagerly awaiting the post. :)
  22. Wild_Huntress Jedi Master

star 4
    This is really good, can't wait to see more of it.
    Boy these time zones are so confusing. (Scratches head.) OK I'm totally lost. Oh well. ;)
  23. Jenny_ Jedi Youngling

WOOOHOOO HANNAH! YOU'RE BACK :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE OF PART 2 WOOHOOO
  24. HannahBates Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes Ginger, it's really been a year since Part I first appeared on the boards. Funny how time flies, isn't it? I can't believe that it's been six months since I finished Part I...

More familiar faces! :D I'm so happy to see you all. I've missed you too: I haven't even been reading the boards these past six months, so I feel like I'm coming home after a long absense.

As for posting frequency, I'm going to start with posting every other day and see how that agrees with my Darth RL demands.

Now the part you've all been waiting for:
    PART II: An Explanation

Six months earlier:

"The thing pounced on me in the middle of the night! How was I supposed to know that the kid kept a pet gundark?" Obi-Wan protested with mock indignation before sheepishly adding to the laughter filling the dining room.

"It's name was Pinklace?!" Bant gasped out, immediately dissolving into another round of Calamarian chuckles.

"I'm sure you saved the royal family from being devoured by a five-year-old's pet, Obi-Wan," her master added with mock solemnity.

"I'm just glad the servant stopped you from spearing the thing. I mean, if little Milana had found Pinklace impaled by a lightsaber, it could have sparked a galactic incident!" Garen injected gleefully just as the laughter was beginning to dissipate. "I can see the holonet scrolls now. Jedi: Guardians of Peace and Justice by Day, Slayers of House Pets by Night."

"Need such press the Jedi do not," Yoda concluded, which of course only served to unleash a second chorus of mirth at Obi-Wan's expense.

For his part, Qui-Gon simply smiled in amusement at the hilarity his story had unleashed and at the terrific shade of red his padawan had turned as Qui-Gon entertained their guests with the tale of Obi-Wan's nearly fatal encounter with young Princess Milana's beloved Pinklace. The Jedi Master felt a twinge of guilt at causing his padawan such embarrassment at the boy's own birthday party, but it vanished quickly. In Qui-Gon's mind, humiliation among friends was a fitting punishment for being so young. Qui-Gon didn't even want to think about how many years had passed since he had been twenty-five.

Besides, Yoda quickly offered Obi-Wan deliverance and retribution by launching into a vivid description of one of Padawan Jinn's finer moments. This particular tale involved a rain storm, a spooked feline, a patch of poison ferns and a decidedly unimpressed ambassador's daughter. Having already experienced the joyful occasion firsthand, Qui-Gon tuned his former master, choosing instead to sit back and enjoy the rare celebration.

Qui-Gon couldn't remember the last time he and Obi-Wan had been in temple for one of their birthdays, nor could he recall the last gathering they had hosted. For at least the past eight months, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had been running back-to-back missions, never on Coruscant for more than a forty-eight hour span. Even this party had been organized via the holonet, for they had just returned from a particularly tiring mission on Corellia. The Trade Federation was stepping on local toes once again, and while its leaders were generally meek and cowardly, their never-ending greed wore on Qui-Gon's spirit. The constant haggling combined with the Neimoidians' insistence that the business day lasted a full twenty-two hours ensured that both master and apprentice were drained to the point of exhaustion when a settlement was finally reached.

Qui-Gon half suspected that the boy had forgotten his own upcoming birthday in his delight at an uninterrupted stay at home, for upon arriving in their quarters, Obi-Wan had announced that he was going to sleep for at least three days. The master had not forgotten however, and had been arranging this celebration for nearly two months. The result of this planning was astounding: given such early notice nearly all their friends had been able to fit a night at the temple into their schedules. Any dismay Obi-Wan may have felt at having his plans for endless slee
  25. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Monday????

Well at least I know you and I are on the same schedule. PSTers who HATE mornings :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.