main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For All That Is Unspoken Part II (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HannahBates, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Grrr.... Moday??? You've quickly fit into Sith mode Hannah!! :D ;)

A pet gundark named Pinklace and an equally embarrassing Young Qui story by Yoda??? How wonderful!!!

How can all this merriment go downhill???And what did Master Yoda's helping with dishes have to do with it.

Darn... Monday seems so long in coming right now!!

Excellent post Hannah!! :) :)

2. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    What happened? What did Yoda's offering to help with the dishes do to it all?

Waiting...and waiting...and waiting... :p

3. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Very nice post as usual Hannah! :D

4. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Only Hannah could create a cliffhanger with a reference to helping with the dishes. [face_mischief]

Lovely post - lovely vision of a warm family-style occasion - and no doubt just priming us for the gut-buster that's coming.

Can't wait - and daily posts sound great to me.

CYN

5. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I'm certainly not going to complain about every other day posts :)

Very lovely scene Hannah, I enjoyed it immensely--knowing that it wasn't going to last for long.

I shouldn't be surprised that whatever happens involves Yoda, can't wait to see how though.

6. LittleJedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Ahh.. Yoda, that meddling troll... he always has something to do with everything... ;) :D [face_laugh]

7. HannahBates

HannahBates Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 20, 2001
    As most of you know from Part I, I have mixed feelings about Yoda. I know that his intentions are good, but I think that sometimes his meddling just makes a mess. I guess I've never forgiven him for having so little faith in Luke. I mean, its not his fault that he started training so late, and yet Yoda acts like he's somehow to blame for not being of Jedi mindset even though he's never been taught a drop of Jedi philosophy. Grrrrr. The point of this rant is: Shanobi, Little Jedi, and JediClare , OF COURSE Yoda's to blame in some way. Although, as his crimes go, this one's pretty minor.

Healer Leona: No, being a Sith is leaving you all for two months one post away from the end of Part I. :( I'm hoping never to do that again.

Padawan Kitara: Glad I'm not alone on the mornings thing. ;)

Cyn: I can turn ANYTHING into a cliffhanger! Muhahahaha! [face_devil]. Actually, I'm always surprised by how many cliffhangers I've been accused of leaving, since I've never put the boys into any mortal danger.

Cyn and shanobi: Nope, all the angst was used up in part one. No angst here... [face_mischief].

I'm glad that you all liked that post. I was rather unsure of it, and I almost cut it out completely, making today's post the first. But I wanted to show a little contentment before throwing it all to the Sith.

Whew! and now to the next post.

Six months earlier:

"Get out of here Obi-Wan!" Qui-Gon shouted from the kitchen.

"Master, I can't-"

"Now Padawan!"

The hour had reached the point considered "late" by all over forty, and the only guests remaining were Bant, Garen and Reeft. Even Mace, normally the last to leave a party, had retired, saying something about rereading the minutes of the Corellian trade summit to prepare for Qui-Gon's debriefing. For the young ones, however, the night was just beginning. Bant had suggested going to a nearby music club frequented by the elder padawans and younger knights, but Obi-Wan had declined. Qui-Gon had at first been concerned that his Padawan wasn't feeling well, but a quick check over the training bond revealed a different and entirely unacceptable reason his Padawan was reluctant to join his friends.

Obi-Wan stormed into the kitchen, took one look around and said, "In case you haven't noticed Master, this place is a disaster zone! You'll be in here all night without help."

Qui-Gon couldn't argue with that. He and Obi-Wan were decent cooks, but their techniques definitely lacked finesse. The floor was covered in the flour Obi-Wan had spilled while baking the cake, and it had mixed with the cooking oil which had splattered over the skillet Qui-Gon was supposed to have been watching. The end result was a sticky white paste and it was everywhere. In addition, not a single pan had escaped unscathed. The dishes were piled high on every countertop and some of the larger pots had simply been abandoned on the floor. But Qui-Gon would rather be greeted by a messy kitchen in the morning than keep Obi-Wan from enjoying his friends' company on his birthday.

Qui-Gon moved over to where Obi-Wan was standing and glared down at him. Times like this made Qui-Gon grateful that Obi-Wan had reached his full height and remained a full six inches shorter than him. He couldn't even begin to imagine how Yoda dealt with being shorter than the first-year initiates. "Padawan, you will go out with your friends and you will enjoy yourself on your birthday." Qui-Gon ordered sternly. "If I so much as see you touch one dirty pot, you'll be cleaning the galley kitchen until you're knighted. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Master." Obi-Wan said, his solemn tone betrayed by the grin spreading on his face. The smile was quickly replaced by a guilt-laced grimace when Obi-Wan took another gander at the room, and the padawan opened his mouth to protest once again. The objection never made it past his throat though, for just then Yoda hobbled into the room. Both m

8. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    A-h-h-h-h-h!

Wonderful interaction between Master and Padawan, as well as Old Master and Old padawan.

It's sooooo good to have you back.

CYN

9. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Wonderful casual conversation between Qui-Gon and Yoda where the Jedi master loving extolled his padawan's virtues and gloried in their relationship. It's very unfortunate that six months down the road, circumstances will bitterly change. Great post with wary foreshadowing!

10. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Ahh, Hannah, do you have any idea how good it is to have you back? The interactions are enthrawling, to say the least. Not an awkward phrase or extra syllible to be seen.

So, the Council is in agreement as to Obi's knighting, huh? Nasty shock to Qui. And the manipulating little troll, offering his services with the actual intent of forcing his former padawan to come to terms with the Council's decision...

Wonderfully written! Gawd, how am I to survive until Wednesday?

11. Odele

Odele Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    O-la! I read your first story yesterday, it was great, so I was ecstatic to find you starting the next one! Marvelous as always! So, Wednesday huh? Ok, I can do Wednesday...sure, no problem...*goes to sleep not intending to wake up until Wednesday* :)

12. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I knew what Yoda was getting to :D

Why does Qui not see it I wonder? Maybe he just doesn't want to let go.

Qui's just going to make a mess out of this isn't he? Can't wait to see what you've got planned Hannah.

See ya wedensday :)

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I have to wait til when???....Wednesday is tomorrow, right...

Wonderful as always. I'm certainly glad you're back. It's been too long.

Loved how you set up Qui-Gon to be clueless as to when his Padawan should be knighted. Time has a way of slipping away, especially when you're not looking. I wonder what our favorite Padawan thinks about all this. Will he be relieved, happy, sad, uncertain, all of the above?

Can't wait!!

14. HannahBates

Feb 20, 2001
    Cyn and Antigone , do you know how good it is to be back :D? I've missed writing (I'd forgotten how truly fun it is), and I missed the great feedback. I've always been fortunate to have the best readers around. And shanobi, you know me! Of course the master's going to make a mess of this.

A big welcome to Sugar_Bear, Odele, and dianethx! I love getting new readers! Thank you for your encouragement. And I'm so happy you enjoyed Part I Odele.

Post coming on Wednesday! Sorry dianethx, that's not tomorrow. Remember, a post every OTHER day keeps the long droughts away... ;).

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yoda is talking like he knows what will happen in the next 6-12 months. He also acts like this is common knowledge among council members and Qui-Gon. Ohhh!

16. Jedi_Grace

Jedi_Grace Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    Yay! Wow, Yoda's pronouncement caught me by surprise too, and at first I was also surprised that this proclaimation was so unexpected to Qui-gon too. Surely, he would have some idea about the abilities and status of his padawan wouldn't he?

Oop. I forgot. *smack my forehead*. We're talking about the densest master in the history of the Order, aren't we? :D Well, he didn't do everything wrong, did he? He eventually chose Obi-wan as a padawan, didn't he? Even if he did have to have a little help. Ok, well maybe more than a little help.

I am SOOO looking forward to more posts, Hannah! Wednesday! That's an eternity away!

*heaves a great sigh* Why are fanfic readers always at the mercy of fanfic authors? It's so unfair! heeheehee. Not really; you know that we love, you, Hannah! :D

17. LittleJedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Ah, another wonderful, wonderful post! :D

It's stories like these that help me get through school days.... ;) :D

*waits patiently for Wednesday.* :D

LittleJedi

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I so do love the relationship you have here between the boys. :D :D

Definitely more the kind I've always imagined. Yep, leave it to Obi to want to help and clean up. I was glad to see the little troll volunteer to help. And I wasn't shocked at Qui's reaction at all. I can relate. It's really funny how time can slip by as you get older.. you think you've got all the time in world then 'pffttt' the kids are grown and gone. *sigh*

Ok, I think I'm getting into the swing of waiting for the every other day post. :D :D

19. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    i am back and man do i need more of this story :)

20. HannahBates

Feb 20, 2001
    Just a quick post to reply to the latest round of comments. I fear that I'll have to post-and-run tomorrow morning. Plus, my browser is acting funny: it's putting my entire post in bold when only the names are supposed to be bolded. Strangely, my browser at work displays the posts correctly. Go figure... If any of you have any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Padawan Kitara: You've nailed my biggest complaint about Yoda right on the head. The little troll always acts like he knows everything that ever will happen. He may SAY that the future is always in motion, but he sure doesn't act like it. And we all know that he's not infalliable: he was wrong about Luke and Vader.

Jedi Grace: Yes, Qui-Gon does have a dense streak ;). But in this case, he may not be entirely misguided. More coming in the next couple of posts on that topic. And Wednesday is not an eternity away. See it's already here! :D And if it's any comfort, this posting every other day is hard on me too: part of me just wants to give you all that I have written right now. But I know from experience that would only get me into trouble down the road.

Little Jedi: What are you doing in school? Isn't it summer? Well, you poor thing, I'm glad my posts help.

Healer Leona: That's exactly what I was trying to portray! I'm so happy it came across right. Qui-Gon simply lost track of time. And of course Obi-Wan wouldn't want to leave his master with a mess on his hands. Too bad the same can't be said for the master...

And welcome back Jenny. I'm glad to have you here.

Thank you all for reading. Check back tomorrow for the next post.

21. Odele

Odele Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    *wakes up* It's Wednesday! It's Wednesday! It's Wednesday!!!!!!!!!! Ok, it's also almost 4 o'clock in the morning...I should probably go to bed for real.....be back in a few hours for the post!!!!

22. HannahBates

Feb 20, 2001
    Odele, what were you doing up at four? I hope you were able to get some sleep. I'm happy you're excited about today's post though.

NOTE: Just a warning: the next couple of posts are going to be filled with references to Part I.

Fragments of glass scattered across the kitchen floor. Both Yoda and Qui-Gon watched them spread radially from the point of impact in a sort of numb daze, each stunned by the actions of the other. Qui-Gon's mind felt as scattered as the glass shards; there were thousands thoughts, each running off in its own direction. They fled from his mind before he could fully resolve them, leaving a blank slate of dumbfounded shock in their wake.

One single thought rose from the abyss, overtaking all else in its intensity. "No." Qui-Gon said, shaking his head in absolute denial. "No, it's too soon."

Yoda frowned. "Understand I do not. Contain nothing but praise your reports on Obi-Wan have. For years has this been so. And outshine most knights, Obi-Wan's exploits in the field do." The puzzlement quickly turned to concern as the elder master asked, "Is the Council mistaken, Qui-Gon? Has Obi-Wan's performance been misjudged?"

"What?" Qui-Gon exclaimed, his jumbled thoughts still two steps behind the conversation. But though the haze, one indisputable truth emerged. Obi-Wan was above reproach. "No! Obi-Wan is an extraordinary Padawan! He continually surpasses all of my expectations, even though those expectations grow with his every accomplishment. My progress reports have left nothing out, Master."

Yoda thumped his cane against the floor. "Then agree you do. Ready for the trials, Obi-Wan is."

Qui-Gon still couldn't quite believe that he and Yoda were having this conversation, but he had recovered from his initial shock enough to make a coherent reply. Voicing the first of the long line of objections racing through his mind, he said, "Master, Obi-Wan is still very young. Surely it's too soon to consider knighthood."

Yoda's eyes widened knowingly, and it was clear to Qui-Gon that the little master was no longer confused by the direction the discussion was taking. Qui-Gon wished the same could be said for him. While it had finally registered that Yoda was speaking of making Obi-Wan a knight within the next year, the dialogue still seemed strangely surreal. In Qui-Gon's mind, Obi-Wan was still a boy. An extraordinary talented boy to be sure, but a child nonetheless. His padawan's knighthood was still an abstract concept to Qui-Gon, a far off destination of no immediate concern.

"Hmph," Yoda snorted in reply to Qui-Gon's protestations. "Young you all are. If knighthood required reaching a respectable age, no human Jedi would there be." Then Yoda's expression took on an almost sinister smirk and he added, "Nevertheless, if serves me my memory does, already had a padawan you did when twenty-five you reached."

Qui-Gon inhaled sharply. As completely unbelievable as it was, Yoda was right. Knighted at twenty-four, Qui-Gon had taken his first padawan less than a year later. 'What were you thinking? ' Qui-Gon asked himself. Surely he must have realized that he was not ready to train a child, being not much more than a boy himself. And yet as Qui-Gon looked back on that long-past time, he could vividly remember feeling ready to take a padawan. Of course he had been frightened, all first-time masters are, but he had never doubted his own preparation for masterhood. But that was completely different than Obi-Wan's situation. Intent on pointing out the discrepancy to Yoda, Qui-Gon answered, "Master, I was taken as a padawan at the age of nine. Obi-Wan started four years later. Isn't fifteen years the average length of an apprenticeship? Obi-Wan's been my padawan for barely twelve!"

"Fifteen years the average is," Yoda conceded. "But among padawans chosen so late, lower that number is. And average Obi-Wan most certainly is not. If ready for knighthood he is, then a knight will he become," Yoda finished

23. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    Oh, Hannah - we have missed your elegant style and lovely prose - not to mention the story that just grabs your heart and refuses to let go.

And I expect you're about to prove that old adage: AHEM - payback is a b---h!

Obi-Wan suffered the tortures of the damned as a child, as a result of Qui-Gon's inability to commit and Yoda's cryptic maundering.

Is it time, perhaps, for the shoe to be on the other foot?

If so, in a word - Yippee! :D

24. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    poor quigon POOR OBIWAN

25. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Beautifully written post revealing great insight and honest confessions from both Qui-Gon and Yoda.

It's moving to witness the emotional attachment Obi's master clings to like any devoted parent reluctant to let go of a child who has become the light of his life.

However, Qui-Gon cannot deny that his padawan has proven to be more than capable of ascending to knighthood and though fraught with doubts, battles within himself to find the courage to allow his apprentice to spread his wings and fly alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.