main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For All That Is Unspoken Part II (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HannahBates, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Hannah, another excellent post. Qui seems to have unwittingly succumbed to the "my baby's leaving the nest" syndrome. I wonder how would he deal...given he had survived the Sith ordeal. Show up for surprise pow-wows at Obi's apartment?

Wonderful little argument, and now a heart-to-heart...can't wait to see where this leads.

~Antigone

2. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Hannah, I just love your style of writing. It is so engrossing--it just pulls the reader right in.

I'm glad to see the parties involved realize the disservice they both did to Obi so long ago. To be fair though, Yoda was doing his best at the time. Qui too, after all was said and done. He certainly made it hard on little Obi in the meantime though.

So it must be when Anakin comes into the picture that the sith hits the fan, huh? Poor deluded, misguided Qui. It seems he just can't seem to stop himself from hurting his padawan.

The fact that he is aware of his love for Obi beforehand makes it all that much more angsty. Can't wait :D

3. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I finally got to read this, Hannah . :) Seems like Qui-Gon's like most parents who can't see that their own child has grown up. But, he should realize that just because Obi-Wan may be ready to become a Knight soon, that doesn't mean their relationship is over. Hopefully, someone can get him to see that.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "Young you all are. If knighthood required reaching a respectable age, no human Jedi would there be." --I love that line Hannah!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Hmmm, both Yoda and Qui-Gon's admissions of their mishandlings regarding Obi-Wan were good to hear, Qui's reaction to Yoda's "If wanted more time with Obi-Wan as an apprentice you did, chosen him earlier you should have." - is awesome and certainly shows how much pain his earlier decision of not accepting Obi-Wan have caused.

Stellar post! :D :D

5. Odele

Odele Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    *yawn* Well, usually I go to bed around 2, but last night I got a little caught up in a story 8-}. ANYway, WONDERFUL story, EXCELLENT chapter, and I can't wait to find out where this is going. You're an absolutely brilliant author Hannah!

6. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    I could have sworn I left feedback on this story previously, in fact I even remember the opening sentence... (sigh)... however it's not here so obviously I only thought about posting it. (even bigger sigh) I guess this is yet another senior moment. :(

Anyway. ;) So glad you're posting again, I enjoyed the last story and look forward to more. Poor Qui-Gon, I know just how he feels. Yesterday I was taking my baby to kindergarten, today I was looking at school clothes and realized there are only two more years of high school left. Where does the time go and how can I get some of it back? ;) I have to wonder though, Yoda really seems to be pushing for Obi-Wan's trials. Why the rush? What difference would a little more time make? Shouldn't they talk to Obi-Wan about this also? Can't wait for the next post. :)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I, too, am enjoying this thread immensely. Qui-Gon's shock about Obi having his trials soon rings a very clear bell. I remember getting a letter from my daughter's school stating she would be starting high school this year and I almost fell on the floor - talk about shattering glass!! When I asked her about it, she said."Well, duh, Mom". LOL. I totally sympathize with Qui-Gon's shock.

It should prove interesting to see Obi's reaction to Qui's reaction. Will Qui-Gon drag his feet knowing that his Padawan would soon be leaving him alone, going off on his own missions?

Personally, I always thought Obi-Wan was a little old to still be an apprentice at 25. Especially since they are taught from babyhood!!!

8. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Okay, I haven't started reading this yet but when I saw the title I was like: Holy Poop! I have waited for what seems like forever for the sequel. And now it's here. I am excited :)

TJG

9. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002

HANNAH!!!

I've never posted feedback or introduced myself to you, but I've been a faithful reader of yours since almost the beginning. Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I first found FATiU part 1 on tf.n and you've kept me hooked ever since then. In fact, you've inspired me to post my own stories.

This time around, I look forward to joining in the debates that this story will no doubt generate.

Kathleen

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I don't think 25 is too old to still be a padawan. Look what is expected of them. I haven't often thought poor Qui-Gon here, but this is an amusing instance shere he can't picture his little boy all grown up.

11. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    I LOVE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

12. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    "Young you all are. If knighthood required reaching a respectable age, no human Jedi would there be."

[face_laugh] I love that line! :D

I must also second... or would that be third.. or fourth.. anyway, what i mean is that I also love your writing style! You get their relationships just perfect.... :D

And yes I've been back at school for a week. [face_plain] I live in Aus and our holidays have just finished... drat it all... but I've got TFN to keep me happy! :D ;)

LittleJedi

13. HannahBates

HannahBates Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 20, 2001
    Sorry this is late. I overslept this morning and didn't have time to post before work. Since I'm just on lunch break now, I don't have time to respond to all the wonderful feedback, but I will soon. For now, I'll just say thanks for all the great comments; they mean the world to me. And a quick welcome to two of my favorite 'old-timers:' Abbi_Cee and ThatJediGirl. I'm so happy that you've decided to join me for part 2. TJG, I also want to thank you for periodically upping part 1 while I was gone.

And now the post:
    warning JA14/15/16 spoilers ahead.

Yoda followed him and levitated himself onto of the neighboring arm chairs. His ears raised in curious expectation, he widened his eyes, silently asking Qui-Gon for his thoughts.

Qui-Gon took a deep breath, stifling a yawn in the process. Why did Yoda have to spring this on him in the middle of the night? "I have no doubt that Obi-Wan would pass whatever trials the Council could place before him," Qui-Gon began out loud. "He's a phenomenal warrior and his emotional strength knows no bounds. He can outthink, outlast, and, if necessary, outfight any foe imaginable. Moreover, there isn't a shred of darkness in him, despite all the horrors he has been exposed to. Sometimes I think he's impervious to the dark side, for somehow all the suffering he has endured has not tarnished his spirit in the slightest. Obi-Wan could easily become a knight," he concluded with reluctant conviction.

Yoda waited in silence, obviously sensing that Qui-Gon was not yet finished.

"Yet I fear that he is not ready to be a knight," Qui-Gon continued, placing heavy emphasis on the word 'be.' "Tell me, Master, do you know how many times over the past five years I've raced back to the Temple with my padawan near death?"
    Yoda shook his head sadly and answered "Too many."

"Twenty-seven times Master. And that's only counting the cases where the healers honestly weren't sure that he would survive. Include every serious injury, and that number is at least three times greater," Qui-Gon answered, shuddering at the memories racing through his mind. "What if I hadn't been there? What if he had been on a solo mission?" he demanded, his voice raw with unspoken fear.

"Occurred on a solo mission, those injuries would not have," Yoda replied in that ever-aggravating know-all tone that drove Qui-Gon nearly insane.

"What the Force are you talking about?" the annoyed master questioned, his exasperation pushing the horrifying might-have-beens from his mind. "How could you even think about making such a claim?"

"Know do you how many master-padawan teams have been given level-one missions in the past ten years?" Yoda responded, answering a question with a question. It seemed the troll was pulling out all of his most irritating habits that night.

"No, I don't." Qui-Gon shot back, his frustration covering every word.

Yoda ignored the tone, simply replying "One."

Qui-Gon inhaled sharply. He knew that sending padawans, even senior padawans, on level-one missions was rare, but he had never suspected that he and Obi-Wan were the only master-padawan team given those most dangerous assignments.

Yoda acknowledged his former padawan's shock with a knowing nod before continuing. "In an extremely violent situation where expected to strike at the Jedi team the enemy is, avoid sending a master and his padawan we usually do. Without fail, singled out the padawan is as the possible weak link and is specifically targeted. That is why in the healing ward far more often than any solo knight or master, Obi-Wan has been," Yoda finished, eyeing Qui-Gon warily. Clearly, the master knew that Qui-Gon would not take kindly to the danger his padawan had been placed in deliberately.

Of course, very little of Yoda's revelation contained any new information for Qui-Gon. Nobody needed to tell him that Obi-Wan was labeled a target by their adversaries. He and Obi-Wan had lost count of the number of kidnapping attempts the boy had been expos

14. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Oooooooh, deliciously ominous Hannah :)

What an amazing look into Qui and Obi's history as master and apprentice, and into Qui's heart regarding said apprentice.

You had me hanging on every word in that post. Each post is just getting better and better, I don't know how you do it. It definately shows that you've taken your time and devoted surpreme effort to this.

Yoda had some startling revelations. Qui seems so aware of his faults and his feelings regarding Obi, it's hard to imagine (atleast in this fic) that he's going to mess it all up. I can't wait to read how he does it though :)

Catch you Sunday??

15. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wonderful post, Hannah !

Yoda always has something he's hiding, doesn't he?

16. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Oh, Hannah - you do heartbreaking better than anybody. Just imagine that poor, bleeding, broken young body - and the Master's frantic efforts to preserve it.

For once (Somebody get a camera, because I doubt you'll ever see this again) - I'm with Qui-Gon; I say somebody ought to go beat the crap out of the wussy Council members who insisted on putting our guys in harm's way, while they sat around safe in their ivory tower.

How dare they?

Write More Soon. OK?

17. Odele

Odele Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    All Right! Cool, now there's finally a REASON for Obi always landing on his back! Not that I had any complaints before... :D Can't wait for more! No, really, I can't. No, you don't understand, I CAN'T.

<.<......>.>........^.^ But, I guess I'll just have to pretend I can!

18. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

That was some mighty fine righteous indignation on the part of Qui-Gon over the unfair burdens placed upon his padawan. Who can blame his fury after cataloguing the alarmingly staggering amount of injuries logged by Obi-Wan in a healer's care in only five years.

Rather sobering to note that as much as Yoda is fond of his padawan's padawan, he wouldn't hesitate an instant to sacrifice him for the greater good of the galaxy.

Wonderfully well written! A top notch heated argument with bursts of temperament and valid reasonable points on both sides.

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The time of darkness is upon us, my padawan. Found us the future has.

Ohhhhhh- how disturbing

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hey Cynical, smile! *snaps a pic with her holocam* :D :D

Awesome insight into why Obi's forever in the infirmary... and I've got to say, Hannah, my breath caught in my throat with Qui-Gon's accusation that the Council was trying to get rid of Obi-Wan! I am not a fan of the Jedi High Council, but I was still greatly relieved to hear that they knew nothing of Obi-Wan's visions.

Oh my, what an ominous line you leave us with.

Exceptional post!! :) :)

21. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    AND I FOUND YOU [face_devil]

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Hannah, it's Monday. I believe that a post is in order....

23. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002

Monday night... *drools* ... Monday night

At least it's Monday night where I am. And I have to get up early for work tomorrow. *bursts into tears*

HANNAH! Where are you?

HANNAH!!

*starts to drool again, then decides to go with the surefire thing*

You gotta know when to go
    Know when to hold up
    Know when to walk away
    Know when to run...
    You gotta count your money
    When you're sittin' at the table
    There'll be time enough
    When the dealin's done.

KENNEEEEEEE ROGEEEEEEEEEERSSSSSSS!!!!!

hee hee hee

Please post, Hannah!

Kathleen

24. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Magnificent post Hannah!

Poor Obi - nice explanation as to all the Obi-torture fics... ;)

And i have visions of Yoda saying that last line the same way he says "You will be, you will be..."... FREAKY STUFF! :D

You can bet that I'll be eagerly awaiting the next post.... :D

LittleJedi

25. HannahBates

HannahBates Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 20, 2001
    Sorry, everyone. I forgot to mention that I was going to be away from my computer for the weekend. Now it's back to work, but before I head into lab, I thought I'd drop off a post for you all.

Thanks for all the great comments. I'm happy you all liked my nod to the Obi-torture craze. While I have never tortured the padawan (not physically at least) I am one of those sick puppies who flocks to any fict promising harm to my favorite Jedi. Gotta love it.

Qui-Gon felt as though a blast of cold air had entered the room, dropping the temperature by several degrees. Chills raced through him as his mind wrestled with the horrific implications of Yoda's pronouncement. The future Yoda alluded to, the possible future only Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gon and the mind healer Mikal had the burden of confronting, involved the complete annihilation of the Jedi Order. Qui-Gon had always refused to believe that the horrors of Obi-Wan's visions would come to pass, but those comforting convictions wilted under Yoda's harsh revelation that the dwindling of the Jedi had already begun. Could the losses of the past years be the first stages of the blight Obi-Wan's nightmares foretold? The blight that only Obi-Wan would survive?

The blight that was somehow destined to be his fault?

Qui-Gon shuddered. It wasn't that he feared that the blame would someday fall on his padawan; Qui-Gon would sooner question the existence of the Force than believe that Obi-Wan would actually cause the end of the Jedi. Rather, Qui-Gon was absolutely terrified that Obi-Wan would end up living the future his nightmares foretold, a future where he blamed himself for the demise of all he held dear. Qui-Gon would not have wished such a tormented existence on anyone; the thought of his padawan suffering in such a way made him ill.

Fortunately, over the years Qui-Gon had thoroughly convinced himself that Obi-Wan's visions were complete and utter nonsense, a cruel trial the Force had chosen to inflict on his padawan, nothing more. Even more importantly, Qui-Gon was sure that he had successfully persuaded Obi-Wan to share this view. The master had never told his padawan about his vision on Kegan, where he had seen Obi-Wan as a haunted old man alone in a desert, an image alarmingly similar one of Obi-Wan's reoccurring nightmares. Qui-Gon had convinced himself that the momentary hallucination had been a product of circumstance; disturbed by the dark visions of the Kegan rulers and the new-found knowledge of Obi-Wan's night terrors, he had simply imagined a scenario similar to one that Obi-Wan had already described. It hadn't meant anything, and it certainly didn't lend any credibility to Obi-Wan's visions.

And neither did the recent demise of Jedi, Qui-Gon realized. Now was most certainly not the time to be jumping at shadows. "Master, these are troubling times, and I am deeply disturbed by the extent of our losses, but don't you think that you're overstating the situation?" Qui-Gon protested, his shaken convictions reestablishing their firm foundations. "The future you speak of is far darker than a rise in mission fatalities. Unconnected deaths of field agents does not foretell a methodic extermination of the Jedi." And Obi-Wan isn't even remotely involved in any of this, Qui-Gon added to himself in silent satisfaction, his faith in a bright future for his padawan almost restored.

Almost.

"Hmmm," Yoda responded with a troubled frown. "Like preparing a Bakuran crab it is. Apply heat slowly..." he dwindled off, prompting his former apprentice to complete the lesson.

"And it does not realize that it is being cooked until it can no longer jump out of the pot," Qui-Gon finished by rote. "But Master, surely you can't believe that there is some evil master-mind orchestrating every fatal mission. Forgive me, but that's bordering on the edge of paranoia."

The little master chuckled, but there was no mirth in the sound. "Hope I do that correct you are, my padawan," he murmured sadly, his ears droop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.