main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For All That Is Unspoken Part II (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HannahBates, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    You're doing a wonderful job explaining the Qui-Gon we saw in TPM. Keep up the good work! :)

2. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    You have such a gift for getting to the heart of the matter Hannah :)

Love this approach and can't wait to see how you explain Qui's actions all along the way.

:)

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Lovely Hannah, just lovely. You're doing an amzing job of showing us exactly what you stated might be a very difficult task. To show the reasoning behind what some construe as the cold view of Qui-Gon in TPM.

Excellent post!! :) :)

4. tolwin

tolwin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    don't really have anything to say that hasnt't already been said, so I'll just up this.
    Keep up the good work. :D

5. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    ** i hate you, you hate me, i shot barney with a 83, then i took my shot gun shot him to the floor, no more purple dinasour**

6. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    UP!

It's good to see a sensitive treatment to Qui's actions in TPM. I love both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, and feel that both characters have been dragged through the mud, making Qui-Gon an unfeeling, misled jerk and Obi-Wan a pride-bloated, bigot who's responsible for the fall of the Jedi. Of course they'e not perfect, but I think their flaws have too often been carried to an extreme. Thanks for doing a wonderful job with this, Hannah! :)

Impatiently awaiting the next post! :D

7. ObiLegolas

ObiLegolas Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Uppity up up up!

8. kasiaskywalker

kasiaskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2002
    wonderful posts!
    UUUUP!
    up
    up
    up

9. ObiLegolas

ObiLegolas Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Up!

Where'd you go Hannah?

10. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Hannah? Hannah?! Wheeerrrrrrreeeeeee aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare yoou?? :D

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I had to go back a page to see when last Hannah posted.... I was sure it was over a month ago and I find it's only been a matter of ten (well really twelve) days.... I guess it just seems so long because it's such a good story.

*sigh* I suppose it's really much too soon to get worried*

12. LittleJedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Gotta up this so everyone can see it! :D

13. HannahBates

HannahBates Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 20, 2001
    Hello everyone!

So I'm not doing very well on my promise not to keep you all waiting for long periods between posts. Like Qui-Gon's promise not to hurt Obi-Wan anymore, this is just one commitment I have a lot of trouble keeping. In my defense though, I've been in four states over the course of the past three weeks, totaling six air flights. If I ever have to set foot in a plane again GRRRRRRR.

So now I'm back home in sleepy Michigan, and between my GRE studying and my preparation for my upcoming semester, I wrote a post! And its a long one! But I do admit that this post (and the next) is a bit of a sidenote. I just had to take a little time to tie off some loose ends from part 1.

By the time Qui-Gon finished cleaning the kitchen, the first rays of sunlight were making their way through the ever-present Coruscant haze. Exhausted both physically and emotionally, Qui-Gon decided that watching the dawn from the balcony would be a fitting end to such a tumultuous evening. He brewed himself a cup of tea and took it outside with him. Settling into one of the chairs he and Obi-Wan kept on their patio, Qui-Gon stared at the vibrant colors which preceded dawn on the city planet. The sky was awash with violet swirls and pink accents, and Qui-Gon marveled at how the paradoxical beauty simultaneously concealed and advertised the terrible pollution which smothered the over-crowded world. There was probably a lesson to be learned from the spectacular display, but at that moment Qui-Gon was too tired to search for it. So instead, the Jedi Master simply sat back in his chair and sipped his tea, his eyes never leaving the brilliant splendor of the sky.

That was how Obi-Wan found him. "Master?" the young man softly whispered from the balcony's entrance, obviously determined not to wake his possibly sleeping mentor.

Facing away from his padawan, Qui-Gon gave a sad smile at the sound of the title. "I'm awake, Padawan," he answered, pleased that his tongue did not trip over the final word.

Immediately, a wave of displeasure floated across the training bond, but it was mild and short-lived. Giving an exasperated sigh, Obi-Wan walked over to where Qui-Gon was sitting and took the chair next to his. "What are you still doing up?" he demanded, sounding more like the master than the apprentice. "Do you know what time it is?"

Qui-Gon gave a little laugh before calling Obi-Wan on his role shift. "Isn't that my line?" he returned wryly. In all honesty though, he was touched by the protectiveness in Obi-Wan's voice. Obviously, his master's recent fatigue had not gone unnoticed by Obi-Wan, even though his own exhaustion should have made him oblivious to such things. "Or do you now consider me too old to stay up all night?" Qui-Gon added.

"You're not old!" Obi-Wan retorted good-naturedly, but his tone betrayed a hint of desperation lying underneath the playful banter. Through the training bond, Qui-Gon could sense a deep disquiet in his padawan. Something had unsettled the boy terribly, yet Qui-Gon could not detect any danger in the vicinity.

Turning to face his apprentice, Qui-Gon was taken aback by the haunted sadness lurking in Obi-Wan's eyes. For a brief instant, Qui-Gon wondered if the young man had somehow overheard his and Yoda's conversation, or if he had witnessed his master's subsequent breakdown. But he quickly realized the neither occurrence was at all possible; Yoda would never have mentioned the matter if he had not been sure that Obi-Wan was long gone, and Obi-Wan would never stand by while his master was upset. "Obi-Wan?" Qui-Gon softly questioned, inviting his padawan to confide in him. "Did the evening not go well?"

Obi-Wan took a deep breath and slowly exhaled before responding. "It was wonderful seeing Bant, Garen and Reeft again, Master," he began. "But I was away from the temple for a long time..." Obi-Wan's voice broke a little then, and in the newly-arrived sunlight, Qui-Gon could see tears in his padawan's eyes.

A pa

14. shanobi

Dec 11, 2001
    Patience is a virtue with a fic like this Hannah :)

Glad to see you back. That was a nice moment between Master and padawan, I enjoyed it immensely. Oh, how can Qui be such a lunkhead later? :mad:

Yes, i know how, but WHY?! **sigh**I know that too, but it just bothers me. He could have handled things so much better.

You tie up all the loose ends you want, Hannah :) Can't wait for more.

15. HannahBates

HannahBates Jedi Grand Master star 1

Feb 20, 2001
    Just a few replies to various comments.

Cynical: Oh, I know exactly what I'm filled with when I see Obi-Wan. Am I the only one who swooned during the diner scene? And the way he said "I don't think so." to Dooku? Ahhh... Back to reality, or something closer to it, I understand completely about the tunnel vision thing. Unfortunately, I really think that Qui does have a tendency to focus all his attention on one matter. It's one of his strengths in the field, but it often ends up hurting his apprentice. *Hannah shuts up before she gives away the ending.*

One more thing: I finally finished "Like Tears in Rain" last night and my mouth is still hanging open. I'll post a full praise-fest on that thread soon, but for now let me just say that if any of you haven't read it yet, go now! And Cyn, could you PM me the address of every fict you've ever written?

Cascadia: I'm thrilled you're enjoying my story. Just one thing: Obi-Wan a pride-filled bigot? Where? Are you sure you don't mean Anakin ;)? I'll admit that Obi is a little cold to Anakin in Ep. 2, but given what an arrogant twit that boy is, I can't really blame him.

shanobi and Healer Leona: I'm relieved that you're finding my portrayal of Qui believable. I'm always a little worried that I drift too far from the lug in TPM for it to be 'realistic.'

Warm welcomes to tolwin, ObiLegolas, and kasiaskywalker. I love getting new readers and thanks for the UP's.

Finally, thank you Little Jedi,, Healer Leona and Jenny for the UP's.

16. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    When the prose you deliver is as lovely and haunting and perfect as this, your delinquency is forgiven and forgotten.

Drivel is quick; marvelous literature takes time.

Splendidly done, Hannah - and I will be waiting - as long as it takes.

Thanks for sharing your prodigious gifts.

CYN

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I am so happy that you are back. I have been away on vacation (cruising the Caribbean - looking at the deep blue sea and wondering if Jedi ever get seasick). And each day I thought, that when I got home, there would be loads to read, especially your fic. To my dismay, you hadn't posted anything!!! until now. Hopefully, we might see a few more frequent posts....please.

I also agree with Healer Leona and Shanobi. You are doing a wonderful job of portraying Qui-Gon as he should be. No, he's not perfect, no complex person ever is, but I feel you are writing his character as TPM portrayed him. Neither saint nor demon...

Your portrayal of Obi-Wan is first rate as well and right on the mark.

I really can't wait to see how you handle their journey together as they go down life's road towards that fatal day.

Great job.

18. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm sorry, Hannah. I guess I didn't word my reply right. I didn't mean that Obi-Wan is a pride-filled bigot. I meant that that appears to be the opinion of some people (as experienced a few months ago on a list I was on), but is definitely not mine. And I also felt his treatment of Anakin in AOTC was understandable. And I think Qui-Gon's actions in TPM have been blown out of proportion as well. I like them both very much. What I was trying to say was that they're not perfect, but they're not like a lot of people think, in my opinion. :D That's one reason why I like this story, because it's taking a sensitive approach to Qui-Gon's actions in TPM.

Now about the story.... I love the exchange between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. It's a very touching scene.

And don't worry about keeping us waiting. Quality is much better than quantity. :)

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    A wonderful scene Hannah :)

20. shanobi

Dec 11, 2001
    UP!!!! :D

21. LittleJedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Awww... that's so sweet! :) I love it! [face_love] *is a sucker for mush* ;)

I don't mind waiting between posts - the quality well and truly makes up for it! :D

I'd say you were one of the very best authors when it comes to capturing the characters of Obi and Qui - and you're much better than many of the professional SW authors out there who can never quite get them right!

And of course, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story! :D

LittleJedi

22. Knight_Maxwell

Knight_Maxwell Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    Hannah, I am new to the boards and thought I would stop lurking in the shadows to let you know how much I am enjoying your story. Your writing is superb and the characterization is simply wonderful. We can get a true sense of Obi and Qui's feelings, not to mention other supporting characters like Yoda. All are painted in tremendous detail. You far surpass the movies and books in bringing us into their minds and souls.

I love how you are going to explain Qui's actions in TPM. I for one thought the movie handled it all terribly. They don't spend enough time developing the relationship between Obi and Qui and yet, it seems the relationship between Obi and Qui is pivotal to the entire SW saga since that relationship led to a padawan commiting to train Anakin (not your typical apprentice) before he was even knighted. I sympathize with Qui more in your story, however I was still slightly peeved when he realized his fear and immediately thought of taking another padawan after Obi. Nothing wrong with that but he still comes off as quite selfish at times, worrying about himself more than his apprentice. Oh well, he is so wonderfully drawn here, I will give him a chance.

Thanks for sharing your considerable talent. I look forward to the rest of this story!

23. shanobi

Dec 11, 2001
    **sigh** Another wonderful author MIA :(

Where'd you go Hannah????????????

24. LittleJedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Hannah? Hannah?? :( Where are you?

*sniff*

She can't have forgotten us, can she? :(

Well, UP anyway! :D

LittleJedi

25. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Yay!! You started the second one! I've been waiting for it for ages!!!!!!!

UP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.