main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga For all those who saw the PT first...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ThisHurricane, Jul 5, 2015.

1. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    What did you think about the OT movies when you first saw them? Did you like them, dislike them or were they better than the Prequels? I saw them for the first time on Spike years ago and the first one I saw was ROTJ and I liked it. But ANH seemed to dated for me. ESB was just alright. But these days I think there all great and ANH is my second favorite SW movie. ROTJ and ESB are my least favorite of the saga but I still like them.

Big_Benn_Klingon and CoolyFett like this.
  2. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    I honestly can't remember if i saw the Prequel Trilogy or Original Trilogy first, but needless to say i grew up with both Trilogies. Even at a young age I liked the Original Trilogy better. The Original Trilogy stories were simplistic, especially ANH. It's about the Heroes Journey and about how a young man saves the Princess. I was bored to death by the political crap in TPM and AOTC, and while the Original Trilogies stories are a little simplistic, the depth of the characters are apparent even to a young child. By the time I was in high school I had stopped watching the Prequel Trilogy except for ROTS.

DuckHunt likes this.
  3. ThisHurricane

Mar 9, 2015
    Thanks for sharing Revan! The OT stories do seem more simplistic. ANH is very very great.But I enjoy the PT too for not being simplistic and making us question stuff. All apart of Palps plan.

4. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    I don't remember which I saw first, but I was very young when I first saw the Star Wars films so it made little to no difference to me (I didn't even notice the "technological differences" until I was older, haha). I loved all six films at that age. I didn't really have a hierarchy of favorite-to-least-favorite. Of course, as I grew older and more mature, my opinions changed a little bit. I do think the original trilogy did much better in lots of areas than the prequel trilogy did, but I still enjoy the all of the prequels to this day. It's all Star Wars to me. :D

5. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    I had a bit of an interesting introduction to Star Wars. I first watched SW when TPM came out in cinemas, and was immediately hooked. I watched the Original Trilogy right after, wanting to know more. They became some of my most-watched movies, and when AOTC came out, it turned out to be my favorite movie of all 5, and I watched it many times in the theatre. I was a bit disappointed with ROTS at the time of its release, mostly because the Clone Wars, of which we had so much build-up in AOTC, practically ends with Count Dooku`s death in the first act. So my viewing order was I-VI-V-VI-II-III, which I don`t think is that common. Perhaps it is.

Of which trilogy I like the most, I don`t know, it`s incredibly hard to pick. I think they fit quite well with each other, one trilogy`s flaws are much like the other`s.

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Im probably one of the few PT fans that is in the same age range as most OT fans. Ive stated this opinion a few times. The PT mainly TPM is only reason I watched ANH and ESB. I saw ROTJ as a child in maybe 85 or 86. I didnt really understand it. Plus the only times I did see ROTJ i never saw it from the beginning, I would always catch it around the sail barge battle. The biggest thing I could remember before seeing ROTJ as an adult was Anakin being unmasked by Luke and Yoda dying, but I still never understood why Luke went to see Yoda or why Lukes dad Anakin was on the same team as the Emperor. So I never got into Star Wars, never had any toys, never a comic, never a video game. I remember seeing TPM in theaters in July or August of 1999. And instantly reminded of that Never Ending Story movie. It had that mythical fantasy feel. It had a lot of open air scenes. You see blu skies, green grass, water falls, deserts, underwater communities, by the time you finally get to Coruscant. You feel immersed in the Star Wars world, with ROTJ once they leave Tatooine you are constantly in the dark or enclosed areas except the scenes on Endor, the speeder bike chase was also a favorite when I was a kid. My love for Star Wars came from TPM. Its what made me google Star Wars to see how TPM relates to the movie I saw. I knew there were other Star Wars movies but no one ever showed them to me or did I see them on TV. ROTJ was the one I always seen. I didnt see ANH and ESB til 2001 after I bought the TPM dvd. I wanted to know the full story. I saw the OT SE vhs tapes. So i had no OOT beef or anything like that. It was characters like Qui Gon, Darth Maul.Shmi, Padme, Watto, Panaka and Nute Gunray that got me in Star Wars. If not for them Id have no interest in the OT.

7. ThisHurricane

Mar 9, 2015
    Thanks for sharing everybody! Its cool to read you guys experiences. It is all SW and not competition of which trilogy is better. I like both the same. They all got the GL feel. I have worries for TFA but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Defensor and Darkslayer like this.
  8. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Episode 1: The Phantom Menace was my first Star Wars movie, then I watched the unedited OT on VHS then 2-3. I loved the world of Star Wars. I thought the OT was great, but I love both trilogies, the dialogue of the PT does drive me nuts sometimes, but I love the lightsaber fights and the visuals of the PT, I love the OT because of the characters and the dialogue is better even if some of the visual effects don't hold up. I love all of them and Star Wars is my favorite sci-fi franchise.

9. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I watched ESB first, but grew up with the PT. The puppets and fights felt quite dated in comparison, but I love the banter, story and the characters.
    But overall ESB and ROTS are my clear favourites; the rest can kind of huddle together.

I do take some things for granted though - I was so confused by the fuss made over the Chosen one prophecy and the midichlorians - didn't know that was controversial.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I grew up with both, sorta. I was born in '98 and so in my earliest SW memories, ROTS was not yet released, though I watched the other five quite a bit.

Oddly enough, I recall really only being invested in SW for the action scenes, though I don't think I ever showed preference for one trilogy or another. I don't think it was until I was 13 that I started to appreciate SW as more of a work of art and an emotional story as opposed to just another generic action movie

11. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Perhaps that's why I tend to slightly prefer the Prequel Trilogy over the Original Trilogy sometimes. I find the latter a bit too simplistic for my tastes.

12. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015

That`s precisely my biggest worry about TFA. Star Wars really needs that "GL-feel" to work, in my opinion.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and DuckHunt like this.