main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For Anakin Solo fans only! ( See New Thread by DP4M )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith-Pirate, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Well, it's looking pretty bleak now for him coming back. It is science fiction and they can bring anyone back from the dead, like Palpatine, but based on the funeral, it doesn't look as if the publishers intend to. By burning the body they made it ten time harder to bring him back.

To my point, the only way to make the publishers realize that they upset alot of the readers is by not buying DJ. If they see a drop in sales right after SBS, they will probably think "Maybe we did somthing wrong in SBS."

It doesn't even have to be half the fans, maybe just a 10 to 20 percent drop in sales. With me personally, whenever they kill off a major character, it takes away from the fun of the story. Now the publishers have made it clear that nobody's safe except the big three (Han, Leia, & Luke) and nobody else.

I read the books for FUN and they have been becoming less and less fun, so why am I reading them?

I would like to know if any Anakin Solo fans feel the same way I do. Comments are welcome from Anakin fans only!

Thread has reached its limit. Will begin again.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Die solo child die!!!!Ha HA hA

3. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    That was very intelligent chissdude. [face_plain]

Please, he requested that only AS fans post here, can't you respect that... Beware, you could be labelled as a troll here...

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    If I was of the feminen gender I would marry the lad! Troll, never more!

5. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I still can't believe they would build his character up so much just to kill him off. And, how could Jaina and Jacen be the saviors? They could barley lift things telekinetically when they were fourteen. Anakin did that and more by twelve!

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    didnt know lifting rocks was so essential

7. HeavyArms

HeavyArms Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2001
    Anti-climatic isn't it? Guess someone should be going back to school to learn how to write. You just don't change horses on us in midstream. Kind of reminds me of what they did in B5 with the teeps.

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    The novels are becoming more fun. Whats better than this? Its Star Wars to its bones. Its about pitfalls and death and finally victory at the ultimate price. I love it. I thrive on it. Star Wars is the supreme sorce of it; the movies and the books.

9. Tallie

Tallie Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    Personally I am infuriated by the stupidity of the authors. Throughout the NJO series the focus has been on Anakin, and for good reason. While other Jedi sat frozen in arguments and politics he alone was able to look past the struggle and do what needed to be done. When Anakin felt something needed to be done he did it. Those who would call this the rash actions of a head strong young man need to remember that had it not been for Anakin the Yuuzhan Vong would have destroyed the Jedi students and had their own version of a Jedi. While all Jedi agreed the Academy was in immediate danger only Anakin took action against the true problem. Perhaps he acted rashly and didn't consider some things but his heart was on what really mattered, besides war heros aren't made through caution and thinking but through bravery and determination. How can they kill such an aspiring character? How could you be so dense? Pardon me but killing Anakin will do far more harm to the series then it will help.

We all suffered through Han's desent of greif and breathed a sigh of relief when it was FINALLY over and the Jedi, rightful owners of the spotlight (hence new JEDI order), came back into focus with Anakin's heroics. But instead of building on that they kill him and will likely make us watch Leia descend to a weepy cranky useless boring mass and then rebuild herself. Oh and just for fun they deside to kill their only other possible hope of redemtion, Jacen. Leaving only Jaina, the Solo child who has recieved nearly no character developement in this series. I'm sorry but Jaina is better fit for a background character than anything else, IMO anyway. I can't find myself getting excited about her adventures or her love interests, she's a female Han and it sounds like DJ will be little more than a modernized version of COPL. I have to say that Star by Star greatly weakened my enjoyment of these books and it sounds like Dark Journey might push it a little further, never thought I'd say this but I can't take much more of this crap, how hard is it to know that YOU DON'T KILL MAIN CHARACTERS and still expect good ratings?

10. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    It wasnt the authors that made the decision to kill off Chewie and Anakin. It was Del Rey that ultimately did it. So dont blame them.

11. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I can't take much more of this crap, how hard is it to know that YOU DON'T KILL MAIN CHARACTERS and still expect good ratings?

LOTR SPOILERS

Boromir was. He died. It worked. As it is a story. Not based round him.

END

12. Tallie

Tallie Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm well aware of Boromir's death but really he wasn't written to be liked. Also the LOTR didn't focus on Boromir as the NJO focused on Anakin. Also Boromir himself admitted that after his actions he deserved death. It was also necessary to show the power the ring could take on people. Anakin's death was neither deserved or necessary. Chewie's may have been necessary but Anakin's served no such purpose.

The authors, Del-Ray, the editors, it doesn't really matter who, it still stands.

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    What is the point in me trying to not spoil a book or film if the next person doesnt bother?

And the NJO doesnt focus on Anakin. He focuses on the New Jedi Order. He just got a few perspectives. BP was Jacen. So was Traitor. He has a few perspective books too

14. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I don't mind main characters dieing, but I think Del Rey have chosen poorly on this occassion.

15. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Anakin Skywalker died.
    Yoda died.
    Obi-Wan died.

More will die in the upcoming movies. Need I go on?

16. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I agree. How can they expect *not* to lose tons of readers and lose respect if they kill a character like Anakin? I used to be really excited about the next NJO book. Well guess what, I'm not anymore. I read them just to find out what happens with the SW characters, since I like Star Wars more than any other thing I'm into like Tolkien, Wheel of Time etc. I can't all of a sudden just STOP reading! But I really, really, really liked Anakin.... he was my favorite character in anything I've ever liked. Legolas doesn't even compare, and I like Legolas a *lot*. :D I just have lost the core of my interest in NJO and consequently, Star Wars lit. Sad, isn't it. I'm not trying to be dramatic either. Anakin was an important character to me.

* Oh and

Anakin Skywalker died... when he was already an adult with grown children.
    Yoda died... at age 900 and something.
    Obi Wan died... as an old man.

There is a bit of a difference I think.

17. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I can't say that the NJO was based around Anakin,but he was one of the better characters.With his death I hope he will be the rallying point for the Jedi to defeat the Yuuzhan Vong.If that doesn't happen then I don't know what's the point of killing him.

18. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    GoldenVeila, I never read LOTR, so yes, it is a spoiler, especially being as this isnt a LOTR discussion forum

19. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Nevermind, that's not what I meant but.. *sigh* nevermind. [face_plain]

20. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    People didn't like Boromir!! Until his death that is. He tried to get the ring away from Frodo, what's to like about that?? Great dying scene though!!

21. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    LOTR SPOILERS

Boromir was thinking of his people. He felt the power could save his people. This was shown to full effect by Sean Bean, who deserves an oscar for his portrayal

END

22. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Darn right he does! that guy was good, especially in Goldeneye, as JB's sidekick/nemesis.

23. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    okay. after reading all the posts here i'd like to post my opinion on anakin's death:
    anakin is one of my favorite sw characters (my favorites are jaina and tenel ka... i'm a girl, i tend to like female characters). i thought his death came at a good time, was beautifully written, made a very nice emotional impact (reenforced the idea from chewbacca's death that these characters are NOT invincible, and shouldn't be seen as such), and set up a very nice plot line involving jaina following his death (again, reenforcing the idea that these people are not infallible and even the most aware and dedicated jedis can fall to the dark side). there... that's mine opinion and i hope i don't get flamed too bad *ducks and hides under her computer desk*

24. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Having not followed Anakin's career as closely as some of you, I can only say that my appreciation for him has arisen out of what I have read in the New Jedi order. I disagree that he was the focus of the books thus far, but he was seen more in the books than either of his sibs, meaning readers get more attached to him as a character and when he bought it, it made his death that much more painful for us the reader.

Now, Anakin's death is only meaningless if authors make it such, which I suspect they won't, because that would cheese off a lot of fans. However, if his demise forces other characters into action, not retaliation or revenge, but into action against the Vong, then his death will be a rallying cry for everyone.

25. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    I have to atmitt Sean did an amazing job, but for half the movie a hated him, and by the end they killed him off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.