main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For Anakin Solo fans only! ( See New Thread by DP4M )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith-Pirate, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "Anakin Skywalker died... when he was already an adult with grown children.
    Yoda died... at age 900 and something.
    Obi Wan died... as an old man.

There is a bit of a difference I think.
    "

True that. But still, if you dislike Anakin Solo dieing in Star by Star so much that it makes you sick towards the authors or people in charge I'm thinking you're going to hate Episode 2 and 3.

2. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    NO, we will not hate Ep II and III because we know how it all will end... And we are prepared.

Anakin Solo's death was stupid, meaningless, shows nothing but lack of imagination. It was a decision made behind some desk, made by someone who is neither an author nor a fan.

Yes, I know that in real life even young guys die especially in wartime situations. BUT I DON'T read books to know it. I want to have fun!

SW is not about death and tragedy. It was about adventure, surviving, glory and redemption.

Anakin's whole family was a survivor - noone in the Empire could break or kill them.

I HATE TO SEE THAT THE VONGS ARE MORE POWERFUL THAN THE EMPIRE! It's not Star Wars for me. If the Vong are so powerful HOW could Anakin Skywalker be the Chosen One?!?!?

I've decided I will not buy any NJO books any more...

3. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    They've made the Vong practically unstoppable, and that just ruins everything.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    In the Same way as Thrawn was unstopable 1/2 way through the Thrawn Trilogy

5. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    The Thrawn trilogy was only three books long. In the Thrawn trilogy, he didn't caputre Coruscant, he didn't kill any important characters, and for crying out loud, he was only one guy. The Yuuzhan Vong ... do we even know how many of them there are?

6. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    NJO is still a series. X-Wing is a series. Thrawn Trilogy is a series. Same thing.

he had a huge fleet, he had a huge army, he was racking up the wins

7. Tallie

Tallie Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, you're right, main character DO die, young guys DO die in war time and worthy people sometimes aren't awarded the time to achieve all the things they might have. But the NJO was suposed to take the focus off the older, original Star Wars characters and put it on the next generation. And, like it or not, the next generation's most likely stars are the three Solo children mainly because they have direct ties to the movies.

Of the Sols children Anakin had recieved the most development and next to him was Jacen. So killing Anakin is knocking the best option aside and killing his brother is like saying, "screw the next generation." Aside from that it serves no point.

A ralling call? Actually acording to the synopsis of DJ no one really does anything about Anakin's death but burn him, make new queens, turn back to the lightside and fall in love with wayward Chiss poilets. If I was Anakin I would be sick. What a way to honor him huh? Sorry but I'm disgusted. It is interesting to read about character's love lives but after one's brothers are both mercilously killed...I don't think I'd be much in the mood for love.

8. Lady_Tahiri

Dec 23, 2001
    Thank you, Tallie!

9. JHC_JEDI

JHC_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    I'm reposting this from another thread where it didn't get much discussion:

Hmm, the Jacen "Death" thing is pretty interesting, and leads to some speculation. Everyone seems to think that all the Jedi are mistaken about his death, and something happened that doesn't allow them to sense him. Is it possible that the same thing happened with Anakin?

There's definately some similarities between the two situations. First, there's a good ammount of unresolved plot points around both characters (Ikrit's prophecy, the twins duel the Vong want). The greatest evidence of the death of both characters is their loss of contact through the force with the rest of the Jedi.

I could see this as a convenient way of bringing Anakin back. In the next couple books we will see that Jacen didn't die, but he discovered some way to mask himself in the force/sense the Vong in the force due to his being captive. That will be followed by the re-appearance of Anakin, and the explanation that he had discovered the same thing Jacen used to mask himself while he was battling the Vong.

I don't want to turn this into an argument over whether he's alive or not, but it is interesting to note the similarities in the "deaths" of two characters with unresolved roles in the NJO.

Maybe this thread will give more response to that though...

10. Lady_Tahiri

Dec 23, 2001
    Wow, that would be a great reason for him to come back. Obviously Jacen can't be dead - it just doesn't make sense. Anakin coming back the same way as Jacen ... but then why did they burn his body?

11. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    We don't know that it's really his body...

12. Lady_Tahiri

Dec 23, 2001
    True. For all we know, it could have been yours. Lol, j/k. No seriously, I'm pretty sure it was his body. The EU writers people don't strike me as being that far-fetched.

13. JHC_JEDI

JHC_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    I agree that it will take some doing to explain the body, but bringing a character back from death believably is a difficult action. If they are planning on bringing him back, this is about the only way they could accomplish it. Leave small hints as to how things actually happened. The first hint would be when Jacen comes back and explains how he was "gone" through the force. I'll be looking for some other little things in the upcomming books. Any mention of these Husks that Anakin's body was found in, some mention of Vong cloning practices... things like that are needed for it to be credible for the authors to bring a character back from the dead, otherwise when its revealed that he is truly alive, and there were no hints as to how that is possible it will be completely unbelievable.

14. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I don't know if he will be back or not - at the moment I'm completely tired of the whole NJO...

But on Official Page, his profile is still not updated - although he's been dead for weeks... His profile ends with: "The bloody events of the ongoing war would indisputably provide an answer to that speculation."

Hmmmmm, of course it's quite possible that Lucas' webmasters are all Siths and enjoy torturing fans with uncertanity- and laugh at our grief. In this case they are like Del Rey's men.

15. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    I think Anakin is dead. For good. This does not come from the fact that I want his character to be dead, or even that I'm indifferent. I am as big an Anakin fan as anyone.

It just seems to me that so many times in the past, a major character like Anakin has apparently died, only to return or to not have died in the first place. Del Rey just isn't going to do it this time. I think they'll do the return thing with Jacen, which might explain Reunion's title.

Honestly, I think that despite its well-written style, SbS is the worst SW book I've ever read, simply because Anakin died in it. His was the only character in NJO I empathized with, and now the saga is supposed to move on without him. Thinking like this when other Anakin fans hold out hope makes me feel like a rotten banana or something, it really does. I just don't see him coming back after a cremation.

What's worse, they not only didn't give the kid a purposeful or meaningful death, but it has been said his funeral is sappy and not meaningful as well.

It seems that although Anakin was the ONLY character that I cared about in the NJO, he was one Del Rey didn't think important at all.

In fact, I must ask now why Chewie ever died. Why kill Chewie, when the object of his sacrifice was destroyed a few books later?

The NJO seems more and more a badly thought-out series that uses shock value and often-disgusting intensity to substitute for a good plot line. Just my opinion.

16. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Actually, Lady_Tahiri, I wouldn't put it past the authors to pull a switcheroo with Anakin's body. I mean, a lot of things in the NJO are pretty far-fetched.
    -enemy from outside the galaxy
    -creatures capable of creating black holes and pulling down moons
    -living hand weapons that are lightsaber proof
    -Luke having a son(just kidding!)

Interesting idea though, JHC_JEDI, very interesting.

17. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    How true, Nitro.

18. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    Haven't we had this discussion before? I must have been in at least three of them.

Anyway, get over it. He is dead. Also, Jacen is not dead. The Vong would not kill him, they would clone him to make their Vong Jedi. Plus, he has to have a duel with his sister.

They'll probably try to break him and train their dark vong jedi and then kill off the jedi with them. This is not so far fetched when you think of the title of the last series in the NJO, Force Heretics.

At least I hope. But then again, I want the vong to win and destroy Luke and all of his pitiful dreams.

For those of you who don't think Anakins death will be a rallying point for the NR and the jedi, DJ may just be a mourning book and the next book will be when they jump into action.

19. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Nitro's got a point. If you weren't a star wars fan and just heard of some of the plots from someone else, you'd prolly think ".........."

You know what? I agree with Tallie on all points, but still, there's just ONE thing I want answered. I think we should all write a letter or something and ask DelRey a very simple question:

WHY?

Okay, so there could be many reasons. They want to roll characters into new situations, they want to shock the readers, they want to shove some angst into all the characters faces, to show that the Jedi aren't immune, and neither are the Solos/Skywalkers -- but we really don't know why. Honestly, we don't know a lot of things:

~ We don't know why DelRey (NOT the authors) killed Anakin off

~ We don't know whether Anakin will stay dead

~ And heck, in all honesty, we don't know whether he'll come back either

MY POINT:

We don't know anything. So, just because I'm off-topic and this is where it has led to, to all those saying "I'm sorry, but he's dead" can you prove it? Are you an author in line for writing an NJO book?

No. None of us are, except for the obvious few on the boards, such as Troy Denning and Mike Stackpole.

You cannot assume to know what the authors/DelRey are thinking with the plot, or going with this plot, so you can't so quickly rule things out. Although I believe Anakin will return, I'm leaving all possibilities open.

I'll write up a debate post tomorrow morning >.< I have my history and algebra 2 midterms to study for now.....

20. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    good luck

21. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Hmm I didn't even know that stuff from the synopsis because I didn't read it. The odd thing is, now that I have been spoiled of what goes on in the book *I don't care*. Wow, I really am numbed to stuff that goes on in NJO now. I think that DJ is going to be the worst book I've ever read:

* Anakin's funeral
    * Jaina falls in love... with Jagged? :mad: *gags*
    * More QUEENS??? ISN'T THAT WHAT HE DIED FOR? arrrrggggh

Stupid NJO.

22. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Thanks, ReaperFett :)

I didn't read the synopsis. I read GoldenVeila's post. Okay, if there are more queens, and the voxyn aren't ridden, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat was the point in really killing Anakin off???????????

Ahh! *slaps herself* I MUST STUDY!!! I'M GONNA GET THOSE A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *skips off holding a graphing calculator in one hand and a sugar-saturated soda in the other*

23. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Wrong kind of queen :)

24. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Yeah, that's what I want to know Tahiri! In the Troy Denning interview recently posted on theForce.net, it says this.

Question: What made you choose Anakin as the character to die, over say, Jacen or Jaina? Was this decided before you came on board?

Troy: People must be curious about this, but I don't want to go into detail because of the ramifications it may have for the rest of the series. I think it's safe to say this was one of the goals I was given at the outset, *and that because the reasons behind the decision were very sound, it never crossed my mind that anyone other than Anakin should die.*

So obviously, they somehow DO have what they think is a good enough reason to kill him off, so good in fact that Troy Denning didn't even consider that anyone else besides him should die. Even as he said he cried as he wrote Anakin's death scene. So what gives?

*Huh, what? Nevermind I don't want to know what other type of queen they are talking about. Grrr this is making me so mad.

25. JediMasterKypDurron

JediMasterKypDurron Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2001
    You guys may already know this, I haven't read all of the threads here but just in case

SPOILERS FOR DJ!!

The others apparently feel Jacen's death in the force but we know he's not dead because he's in Traitor. So now we know that it is possible to FEEL someone die in the force AND HAVE THEM NOT BE DEAD!!

Anakin shall return!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.