main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For Anakin Solo fans only! ( See New Thread by DP4M )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith-Pirate, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Yea, I'd say she's impulsive. She has a two minute conversation with a guy and thinks she's in love. Is Jaina maybe taking Prozac?

2. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Hehe :D That happens sometimes, you know...my friend once had this crush on my other guy friend, and she was so shy she barely spoke two words to him, and him to her, so it took the whole school year to get them together. Then they broke up because they weren't seeing each other that much, but yeah...they barely knew each other. But it was cute ;)

3. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    Well i completly agree with you tahiri, that sometimes it is cute when two people like each other but becuase they are shy it takes them a long time to make that first step [face_love] , but in the case of Jaina, she was in a period where she needed to be more careful, because anyone could have taken advantage and she probably woudn't even notice, I mean she just "thinks" Anakin is dead (and I say think 'cause I'm almost sure whe haven't seen the last of Anakin, so yes he will be back!!!! [face_laugh] ) and she had to left Jancen with the Vong so, in this case I don't really think that they had a lot of crush on each other, but I gess this will help her handle hard situations next time ;).

But as I just said early I don't think kyp should teach jaina, 'cause Kyp is too agrresive in his ways and he only is doing this 'cause he has a great crush on her [face_devil] , but I wonder if she will accept his ways 'cause it's not like Jaina to take this kind of decision.

And honestly the only real thing in wich Jaina and Kyp are alike is the fact that they both went to the dark side an back :cool:

4. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Yep, I agree with that. But it'll be really interesting to see Kyp with a padawan ;)

5. Deviot

Deviot Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2001
    OK guess I will comment on Boromir and Anakin and death in star wars.

OK I do not mind that Anakin died, I do not wish for any character to be safe. Although I also do not want characters dying just for the sake of it. There needs to be good story involved. I liked Anakin and hope he does not come back unless as a ghost like being ala Yoda, Obiwon, Anakin Skywalker.

Below are spoilers for lord of the rings about boromir and ring etc

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

OK about Boromir I in the book he was made out to be more nobel and such it just wasn't shown as well in the film. At heart he was a very honorable man , maybe a little misguided a times but heart in the right place..He would never have taken the ring , if he hadn't have been under the influence of it...even though frodo had the ring on Boromir had still had close contact with it and was effected by the ring........Thats why Frodo split the group up because he knew the ring would effect the others as it did Boromir....

p

p
    g

d

s

6. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    In all the interviews with the publishers that I've read, they keep saying that they killed this character or that character to make it interesting how other characters will deal with the tragedy.

My dumb question to the publishers is, why wasn't Chewie enough? I got my mom reading Star Wars books when she ran out of Star Trek books. But she was so angry about Chewie dying that she stopped reading.

I was not happy about it, and I wasn't as attached to Chewie as my mom, but I didn't think that more and more main characters would die in NJO.

So can anyone explain to me how it's good writing to kill off sooooooo freaking many characters?

Don't tell me about the prequels because we were prepared ahead of time regarding who will die. IMO GL did that on purpose.

7. JEDIMACK-COM

JEDIMACK-COM Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Sith-pirate, Good for You! We can do more than not buy the next book or books.

I am going to read other stuff until I hear he is back.

You can write stuff, as you did. You can also boycott the publisher.

Jedimack-com

8. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    It is not good.

TV shows often die when a well liked character leaves. TV shows have died, when the audience didn't like who was killed. Surveys showed that if Bobby Ewing really was dead, they would never watch Dallas again.

Heads should role. Am I too worked up? I think not.

9. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    LotR spoilers
    I liked Boromir. He was a great character, conflicted, and I love a character with conflict. But they didn't let you like him till the end. Too bad, he had the best dying scene, so noble....

10. RebelOutlaw_Ace

RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 2001
    I kind of find it hard to believe that Anakin'll be coming back. After all, his sibs feeling him return to the Force, plus his last words to them, pretty much guarantees a death. Now, I don't know what mixed-up, oddball way that Del Rey is going to explain the similar "feeling" of death they receive from Jacen, but I'm sure we'll find out by Rebel Dream.

Plus, Anakin was a favorite to me, and I liked his development in the NJO, save for the cockiness. I mean, Chewie's death, Ikrit's death and prophesy about him and Tahiri, what were they for? WHAT WERE THEY BLOODY FOR?!? Their deaths are all but pointless to me now, and just seem to jumble up this series even more.

Perhaps the Yuuzhan Vong will clone him or something or other, but I really doubt that his funeral pyre scene was the last that we'll be seeing of him.

But...I can't help but think...would people be so angry if they had killed Jacen instead of Anakin?

I mean, seriously, several people have anxiously awaited for him to kick the can (myself excluded from that group). Would it have settled the raging fans if they had instead only seriously injured Anakin instead of killing him, or if they had killed Jacen instead?

-Reb

11. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Killing a favorite character is high risk for who ever had the idea.

12. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Well, look at things this way. There are quite a few Jacen fans out there. I wouldn't say there are as many Jacen fans as there are Anakin fans, but no matter who died, there would always be a group that was dissatisfied with who died.

Personally, I think that the twins won't die. Star Wars revolves heavily around myth and philosophy and religion. Part of GL's genius was the way he was able to draw all of that together to create something a very diverse group of people would be able to enjoy. And twins, in many myths and tales of the past, were considered invincible, which is where I believe the Yuuzhan Vong faith branches from. Then again, African tribes of the past used to believe that twins were evil and brought demons. Either way, there is an importance revolving around the twin idea.

Now Anakin could be considered the third wheel amoung his siblings. Quite a few have said that he was the odd one out, and "three is a crowd" in regard to him. IMHO, I always imagine the three as a trinity type thing, if you catch my drift. Sort of like that of Zelda (I have no idea which game) but imagine the Force as a triangle, as 3 is generally seen as a "balanced" number in myth and fortune, and imagine Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin each at a different tip of the triangle. Each represent different paths, different ways of the Jedi and the Force. It seems wrong to suddenly get rid of one. There's no more balance.

There are obviously many loose threads with Anakins death. I've done an analysis on it before, here's the copy (this is all opinion, by the way, so don't hunt me down if you disagree :) ):

First of all, Anakin is obviously in the makings of being an epic hero. The way that Chewbacca died for him, his whole trial in conquest, the meeting of Tahiri...it all points that way. In the "journey" of an epic hero, there is always a literal/metaphorical death. Luke's hand getting cut off was a metaphorical death, in Harry Potter (Goblet of Fire) there was the metaphorical death of his innocence, and I think at one point in the sumerian myth Gilgamesh, he went to the underworld. Odysseus was an epic hero, and he did go to the underworld--his literal death. Orpheus, etc... I mean to say, all epic hero's do either die literally, or something in them dies metaphorically.

The way that the NJO has been building up Anakin's character, I don't think it was just to kill him and effect us. It's like chess--you don't kill someone else's pawn JUST because its there, but if it's also strategically a good idea. Yeah, sure, they really did smack a bunch of people upside the heads with killing him, but somehow I don't think that they would go through such trouble. More likely, I think they've been building up Anakin's character only to lead up to Anakin's possible survival. Again, I could most definitely be wrong, but it's a quirk.

Then there's Ikrit's prophecy with Tahiri. I *REALLY* think that either Greg Keyes made a big mistake by putting this into Conquest, or there's something to it. The NJO authors planned all of the NJO arc before sitting down to write it--George Lucas LOOKED over the NJO arc and approved it. If it was a really sucky resurrection the authors were planning, I'm not sure Lucas would have approved. So anyway, Ikrit's prohecy was that Tahiri and Anakin would join to do great things. While explaining this to Anakin in Conquest, Ikrit said, "You could even--" then stopped himself before saying anything. This really makes me wonder on different levels.

First, why would Keyes do that, put the prophecy into the mainstream novels, if Anakin was going to die? If Anakin does stay dead, that leaves a subtle but major loose end. Tahiri and Anakin have not yet *had* the chance to "do great things" together, as Ikrit said.

Without Anakin, Tahiri becomes an expendable character, some people say. But I don't think that they'll kill her, even if Anakin does stay dead. She has valuable knowledge of the Vong that could come in handy.

And then there's Anakin's ability to sense the Vong completely ri

13. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Keep the hope alive!!!

14. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    There better be a catch...something they're not telling us. There should be more thought behind this than we completely realize. At least I hope so... Poor Leiah...her little prince, gone...what am I saying? Leiah must be distraught and jaina...well, she's gonna be a thorn in the side for a little while. Hope she doesn't become all Sith-y and stuff.

15. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Tahirir--your post is eloquent, well-reasoned, and very well supported. I enjoyed reading what you had to say, and I sincerely hope that someone at Del Rey is thinking along the same lines as you are. I feel the same way in almost all regards, but could have not put it nearly so well. <raises glass> "Here, here!"

16. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Tahiri - Always nice to read your posts. They are very articulate! :)

Also another tidbit from Rebirth is the following paragraph:

Tahiri had been his best friend for five years, since she was nine and he was eleven. They had a strong bond in the force, and were together far more powerful than either was alone. The Jedi Master Ikrit had seen this bond, Anakin and Tahiri could communicate at a level far beyond language.

Now in SBS when the team retrieved Anakin's body, Tahiri was seen talking to Anakin's body. Could there be more to this than was perceived? Could be....

17. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Bant & Drk_Hlmt - thanks :) I guess I made up for all the silly and psycho posts I've made lately ;)

I agree about the speaking on a different level thing. Tahiri never would have let them cremate Anakin unless she knew something (that it wasn't really Anakin), if she forgot it (she was barely lucid), or she knows that Anakin is just dead. It goes three ways... But her connection to Anakin is definite and powerful, so maybe there's something she could do...?

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It goes three ways...

"Understanding is a three-edged sword... your side, their side, and the truth somewhere in-between." - Vorlons

OT: Can anyone tell I heard the rumor today that Babylon 5 Season 1 is being released on DVD this year? :)

19. Shaeri

Shaeri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 1999
    Okay, must weigh in. You're all making excellent points that are making me think (love the analysis, Tahiri!).
    I stopped reading before VP, partly because I was torqued when they killed off Chewie,and partly because I transferred to a school where they assign enough homework to kill an ox beneath the weight of the books--okay, that's a SLIGHT exaggeration, but not as much as you might think.
    Nevertheless, I was keeping track of everything in the NJO vicariously through my roommate, who, though she stopped buying books after HoT, has been borrowing from the library and standing in the aisles at Barnes & Noble reading (I'm there, too, but I've been reading other stuff <grins>). However, we've both pretty much made the final separation from the reading since the news came out about Anakin's death. I wish I could say we'd be speaking with dollars, but alas, the only way we can do that is by striking out at the movie (which, for other reasons, I'll be doing anyway). We've made almost a full trade of Star Wars for Lord of the Rings, and I wish I could say I had some regrets about it. Based on what my roommate has told me (and I trust her, because she's an astute literature major), Anakin was a well-developed character with a LOT of potential. Killing him off seems like a cheap trick with little value to it other than shock--with one possible exception: the epic hero theory. For what I'm going to say, though, I'll have to go into a few LOTR (full trilogy, not just FotR) spoilers:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Fellowship of the Ring:
    As Tahiri pointed out, epic heroes often (if not always) experience some form of death, either symbolic or literal. Frodo (an epic hero if I've ever encountered one) has a symbolic death in FotR when he's jabbed with the Mordor blade. It never came close to killing him physically, but it threatened him spiritually, in that he nearly became a Wraith. It also killed off his innocence; in the book it's made clear that there were lasting ramifications. For one thing, he was a lot more sensitive to evil, and he sensed Gollum following them, even before he could see him, and he saw Gollum when most of the others wouldn't have been able to. This continues, and even intensifies, throughout the trilogy.

The Two Towers:
    Gandalf, who was presumed dead in FotR, re-emerges more powerful than before. If this is to be the pattern with Anakin Solo, then it's entirely possible that he'll stay out of it for a few books, then emerge again, possibly more powerful, possibly in disguise (Gandalf's color changed from gray to white, and Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn actually mistook him for Saruman at one point), definitely altered for his time in between life and death, whether literal or figurative.
    In addition, as if to underline Frodo's status as an epic hero, Tolkien kills him off AGAIN, this time more literally. He's not actually dead, but Sam (not to mention Smeagol) has no way of knowing that at the time. This, too, could be a pattern for Anakin Solo. As Tahiri pointed out, the narrator never pronounced Anakin actually dead. Granted, Tolkien didn't kill his readers with suspense for more than a chapter; you know by the end of the book that Frodo's not dead...yet ...but the pattern of suspense is similar.
    And, as long as I'm in The Two Towers, even though this has nothing to do with my thoughts on Anakin, I'll weigh in a bit on Boromir. I didn't like him much in either the movie or the book until just before his death (which is actually in chapter 1 of The Two Towers). However, when I saw how he died, and that most of the stuff I had against him was more due to the Ring than to himself, I came to like him more as a character. He is also a marvelous contrast study when compared with his brother Faramir and his father Denethor (oops, he's in Return of the King).

The Return of the King:
    Finally, another thought I've had (and I think it's distasteful, but possible) is that, if Anakin is indeed an epic hero (opera

20. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Ahh...I wish I could have let myself read that post, but I'm not letting myself spoil the LOTR books for myself till I read them...

21. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Damn, this is really interesting. Now we just have to wait and see.

Wait... man I hate that word.

22. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    UP Tahiri, I've becoming a fan of your posts, they are really well thought and BTW I love your fanfics 8-}

And also I think I think like all of the Anakin solo fans we are sure thet he will be back, and I was almost loosing hope but with all of your post I'm back and hopefull :D

23. JEDIMACK-COM

Jan 25, 2002
    Some of us feel SbS was a defining moment, the last straw if you will. The following was written by a professional writer within the media culture regarding the death of Anakin Solo. It is called Jumping the Shark, originally posted elsewhere, but I was asked to put it in a relevant literature thread about EU and/or Anakin Solo.

Jumping the Shark by Jon Buckley.

This is the moment, known in Web vernacular as "Jumping the Shark." The
    name comes from a website of the same name, www.jumptheshark.com that
    explains this type of event thus:

Q. What is jumping the shark?

A. It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite
    television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from
    now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it "Jumping
    the Shark." From that moment on, the program will simply never be the
    same.

The term "jump the shark" was coined by my college roommate for 4 years,
    Sean J. Connolly, in Ann Arbor, Michigan back in 1985. This web site, book,
    film, and all other material surrounding shark jumping, are hereby
    dedicated to "the Colonel."

The aforementioned expression refers to the telltale sign of the demise of
    Happy Days, our favorite example, when Fonzie actually "jumped the shark."
    The rest is history.

Jumping the shark applies not only to TV, but also music, film, even
    everyday life. "Did you see her boyfriend? She definitely jumped the
    shark." You get the idea.

We have begun by chronicling the history of television. We are
    incorporating shows from the new season slowly but surely. Music and movies
    are next on tap. Some shows are not listed...yet!

24. Tahiri

Apr 9, 2001
    Thanks Master-Anakin-Solo :) JediMack, I really doubt even that was the climax of the NJO series...we're still in the rising conflict portion of the series...

25. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    Tahiri, since you write so well and seem to enjoy it, would you mind doing me, and actually all Anakin Solo fans a favor?

Can you convince old George to get you in as a Del Rey Publisher?

I'll mail you a $5,000.00 check if you do and I promise it won't bounce. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.