For Anakin Solo fans only! ( See New Thread by DP4M )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith-Pirate, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    I still have 100 pages left, but I just wanted to say one thing:

Told ya so!! :D

As for all the people saying "Why build up a character, only to kill him?"

Let me ask you something:

If Cole Fardreamer were to die in Destiny's Way, would you care? Hell no! Why? Because his character hasn't been developed. They built up Anakin Solo so that you would care when they killed him.

What would be the point in killing off a character that noone cared about?

I personally salute Del Rey and LFL for the, err, testicular fortitude to do this. Bravo! Good show old chap!

wk
  2. Ben_Max Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, maybe this is really stupid.

Maybe when they took Anakin's body away, they cut away a bit of his flesh to make an Anakin clone to mold into a weapon against the Jedi. They saw how powerful he was and could do with his similar to what they did with Tahiri. It could make sense. To have an Anakin clone with them could be a powerful weapon. And he could be dispensable, because they could just make another clone if the first died.

Don't see it happening, though....
  3. Tahiri-Solo Force Ghost

star 4
    i have something to say, for a character built up so much...he had a horribly written funeral, short, and uneventful, not that funerals are supposed to be eventful....
    I think it could have beem written better....

Jainas thoughts on how Anakins death didnt make sence made me think, so did what Kyp said......

if anyone wants to know what he said that hasnt read DJ pm me.

Jacen isnt dead, hes a 'Twin'remember?

The way Tahiri was..i dont want to see her so broken!shes devastated, and it makes me mad.
    Im all for Anakin coming back who knows, berhaps 'Dab" his lookalike may help in this somehow, perhas it wasnt even his body that they had rerieved, it was the clone, made to look like his wounded body.....maybe im just an optomist, i have no clue, but im no less convinced he wont come back because his body is no more....
  4. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Qui-Gon Jinn has a pretty uneventful funeral in TPM.

Anakin Skywalker has an even more uneventful funeral in RotJ.

wk
  5. Tahiri-Solo Force Ghost

star 4
    ahem,as i said, as an extremely written out char, his funeral was bad, and it should have been better....according to his char, and shouldnt be compared to other chars and funerals based on different circumstances.
  6. DVader316 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    But the circumstances werent all that different, Tahiri_Solo. All of the characters that w_k mentioned, including Anakin, all died the same way, as fallen heroes during a time of war. Granted, Anakin's situation may be a bit different because he was so young, but basically it's the same thing in the end. To paraphrase what Yoda said 'wars do not make one great.' QuiGon and Anakin Solo may have been heroes when they died, but they obviosuly werent invincible. Each of the characters mentioned knew what they were getting involved in, especially as Jedi. They have a duty to the Republic and that's it, no matter what era it may be. War is horrible and tragic, and many, many people die until there is is a resolution. That's just how it is...especially for the Jedi.
  7. Possessed-Freak Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ah but in Anakin Skywalkers pyre, at least he became the semi-transparent overlay. Why didn't Anakin Solo become helpful immediately after his 'death', ala Obi-Wan's "Run Luke, run"? I think he was powerful enough in the force that if/when he was struck down he could completely become one with the force and anchor on to somebody he is close to... the twins come to mind. If the writers truly wanted to make Anakin Solo dead, the simple solution would have been for him to help his siblings beyond the tangible realm of existance.

As a matter of opinion, I can not understand why none of the Jedi Knights who died in the invasion did not hang around in limbo aiding their fellow Jedi until the ordeal was over.
  8. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    The "Jedi Spirit" thing has nothing to do with a Jedi's strength in the Force. It is a trick that Yoda knew and passes on to Obi-Wan in Episode 3 (this has been confirmed by GL, in a cryptic way). Anakin Skywalker didn't need to know this trick because he was the chosen one. All other Jedi who disappear, however, need to know how. It isn't "automatic". That is how Ulic did it in Redemption. And it is also a explaination for Daeshara'cor in Ruin. Somehow, she learned this trick. Anakin Solo didn't know the trick, neither did Qui-Gon Jinn. That is why they didn't disappear.

wk
  9. Shaeri Jedi Knight

star 1
    Two completely unrelated comments:

1. I give out LOTR spoiler warnings as a courtesy to Tahiri and anyone else in here who may be in the process of reading the trilogy. I know the books came out fifty years ago, and believe me, I'm well aware how long ago the movie came out (I have a ticket stub for almost every week). It's not on account of the new-ness of the Tolkien phenomenon that I warn for spoilers; it's on account of others' new-ness to it.

2. If I was still reading EU and they brought Anakin back a la Callista, that would be the final straw, and I mean it. Setting aside the fact that Callista is on my Top Three Most Hated SW Characters list, I think the way she came back was messed-up and wrong. Besides, what's the point of bringing back Anakin if he's not going to come back as a Jedi? If you remember, Callista couldn't contact the Force anymore after performing the body-snatch. I'd rather have Anakin stay dead than come back that way.
  10. brandon_duncan Jedi Padawan

OH man here we go Anakin i finally was just getting over him being gone and now your making me think about it again. I gave up the thought of him coming back in the beginning of chapter 2 i think when it says
    " Anakin is dead." like the opening sentence i was heart broken but im trying to slowly move on like i did with Chewie. But since we brought it up again i want him to come back so bad, i think that the vong could do something really sweet and bring him back cause we know they clone now with all of those voxon thingies so hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Brandon
  11. Jaina11 Jedi Padawan

For Anakin to come back the way Callista did would be way too unoriginal for me. It would be bad enough that they would bring him back in the first place. That in itself seems so cheesy. If they brought him back in a way already done in another book would do his character a great dishonor in my opinion.

I was just forced to sit through a Star Trek marathon this weekend and in the movie where Spock died, I couldn't help but find myself thinking of Anakin. When they brought Spock back in the next movie I was extraordinarily disappointed. It really just ruined the believability of the whole thing. I'm anxious to see what they end up doing with this whole Anakin issue, but I just hope they don't let it go corny.
  12. Possessed-Freak Jedi Knight

star 1
    wild_karrde - ah but Luke knew or at least thought he knew. In "The New Rebellion", Luke was all ready to go out ala Ben, when the Thernbee who swallowed the ysalamiri came into the area. If Luke knew the Jedi Spirit trick then why would he hold such knowledge from his pupils? Luke was all for sharing the Jedi knowledge and held nothing for himself, why hold that?
  13. Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "I gave up the thought of him coming back in the beginning of chapter 2 i think when it says 'Anakin is dead.'"

Really? That's a rather interesting time to give up the thought considering that it is an internal thought from someone we already knew thought he was dead.

On an unrelated note: I often see it mentioned (not neccessarily in this thread) that bringing Anakin would be "unrealistic" or "too weird."
    Whoever says these kinds of things DOES know that he or she is reading science fiction, right? The moment one of these people can explain how Hyperdrive, a galaxy full of humans (most of which have british accents) and the Force itself are realistic, I *might* take such an argument seriously, but unitl then...
  14. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    You answered your own question

<<ah but Luke knew or at least thought he knew>>

wk

EDIT: Besides, LFL has said that noone can do the Jedi Spirit trick until after GL explaines it, which is why none have since Ruin (which came out before the order was given)

15. SSJ_Smoke Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think it is pointless to think he is dead, just bring him back
  16. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Lol, that's the spirit, SSJ!

About his funeral...well, I haven't read it yet because I'm stuck reading a book about China for english class right now, but there's not much you can do at a funeral except burn the body. Qui's funeral was like that.

DJ *MILD* SPOILER WARNING

When Jaina says that Anakin was special and knew something, she also said that something very important had been taken from the Jedi.

So....

HE HAS TO COME BACK!! She said that no one else could do what he'd done....

END SPOILER

So I believe he'll come back. How is anyone's guess though... I hope it's not the Callista thing....

And I really believe that Anakin character was built up NOT to make us feel worse when he died, but to somehow give an explanation to a possible survival. For example, if Anakin wasn't Force-sensitive, died, then was magically resurrected by the Force, there's no reason for that. There's nothing to look back on and say, "Look, he's got some special thing about him that gave the Force a reason to resurrect him." So the building up, IMHO, is to give a background for his possible survival.

Off-topic but really funny: Yesterday at school, the fire alarms went off and everyone thought it was a normal drill where you go outside, freeze your butt off for a few minutes, then go back in. Turned out it wasn't! And it had just snowed that morning (didn't stick though...) and it was extremely cold and windy. So my friend who's a senior and I (sophomore) were kind of running around and finding people to get into a gigantic huddle and conserve energy 8-} my friend had left her car keys in the German classroom, and so we couldn't wait it out in her car. Eventually we found another friend who DID have her car keys, and was already leading a few people there. By the time we reached her car, the group consisted of ten people and a dog, and we all squeezed in (3 in the front, 4 in the back, and 3 people and a dog in the trunk). So they called us back in after an hour, and it turned out that some idiot set a fire to a trash can in a bathroom. The principal told all the teachers to make lists of people who had left during class and send it to him, so they have a list of suspects.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Never, ever forget to bring your car keys with you during a fire drill of any sort. Especially during winter!

Oh yeah, and don't set fire to trash cans!
  17. Possessed-Freak Jedi Knight

star 1
    That is one hell of a big trunk...

on topic: You answered your own question

<<ah but Luke knew or at least thought he knew>>

wk

Luke does do some gutsy moves, but I seriously doubt he would gamble on something as serious as that. If Luke planned to transfer into the Jedi Spirit, he knew the way to do it. Besides, for a long time, Luke was the only Jedi around, why would Yoda or Obi-Wan or Anakin Skywalker keep the Jedi Spirit from him. In case something happened where Luke could not escape, it would be prudent for the old masters to give him a one time escape route, don't you think?

The Jedi Spirit trick or whatever it is called is too powerful to not pass along to other Jedi. Vodo Baas (speling?) knew of it as he appeared before the academy when Exar Kun was finally destroyed.
  18. Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "The "Jedi Spirit" thing has nothing to do with a Jedi's strength in the Force."

" Anakin Skywalker didn't need to know this trick because he was the chosen one."

Those two statements do seem to condridict each other, do they not?
  19. Jaina02 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, about the funeral scene- what more did you want? I thought that the funeral was very appropriate and very "eventful." It is a funeral by the way, not a party.
  20. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Upping... Here's something for all of us to do on our free time... Here's an excerpt of an interview with Troy Denning. Let's see how much we can "read into it" and figure it out.

4. What made you choose Anakin as the character to die, over say, Jacen or Jaina? Was this decided before you came on board?

People must be curious about this, but I don't want to go into detail because of the ramifications it may have for the rest of the series. I think it's safe to say this was one of the goals I was given at the outset, and that because the reasons behind the decision were very sound, it never crossed my mind that anyone other than Anakin should die.

Even if they're not bringing Anakin back, there still must be something important here, if they're not going to comment on the "whys" of his death. Unless if at the end, Jacen is the one to stop the Vong and stuff, and they needed someone to kill off to make room for that, they wouldn't say it. But I'm hoping that won't happen...Jacen being the hero is.... Anyway. Anyone else have ideas?
  21. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    "The "Jedi Spirit" thing has nothing to do with a Jedi's strength in the Force."

" Anakin Skywalker didn't need to know this trick because he was the chosen one."

Those two statements do seem to condridict each other, do they not?

Just repeating what I've heard.

GL has said that the disappearing thing will be explianed in E3, and that it has something to do with what Obi-Wan said to Vader: "If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

wk
  22. Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    UP Tahiri

Well I think that one of the options for Anakin is that somehow he mantains his connection with Tahiri, and in this way he is able to pass his knowledge of how to feel the Vong in the force or in some way she will be a great part in his return or at least in his coming into view.

But honestly, IMHO I believe he will be back.

Also if you consider an interview with the author of VP (I'm so bad with names 8-} ) he said that there will be a way in which the jedi would be able to feel the Vong (sorry I don't quote him but I lost the link) so I think that the dead of Anakin was planned from the start of the NJO, and it will have something to do with the feeling of the Vong, not just to shock us and see how everybody elese handel with ti, and also the way that it was created the relationship between Tahiri and Anakin, will have something to do with his return.

And also a interesting theory I have is based in the rumors of Rebel Dream in which I've heard that Lukes goes into a mission to the heart of the Vong ocuppied territory, so I think that this mission could be the rescue of someone, and that someone could be Anakin or maybe even Jancen, or both, which is kind of fuzzy 'cause by DJ Luke thinks that Anakin and Jancen are both dead so if he goes to the Vong the rescue of Anakin and Jancen would be a really good option for Luke to risk his life in such a way.

So as a final comment IMHO I think we haven't seen the last of Anakin and Tahiri toogheter

"POWER TO THE ANAKINS" [face_blush]
  23. Possessed-Freak Jedi Knight

star 1
    Logic failing.... logic failing... danger will robinson... danger

Anakin Skywalker didn't need to know this trick because he was the chosen one.

GL has said that the disappearing thing will be explianed in E3, and that it has something to do with what Obi-Wan said to Vader: "If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

If Anakin Skywalker is the chosen one and he innately knows of the Jedi Spirit trick, then how come he could not know how powerful Obi-Wan would become?

I still think choices of words were poor if they intended the audience to acknowledge Anakin's death. But given the author's interview here on this board, and other interviews, I see that Anakin's return is approaching the odds of successfully surviving a direct hit of the Death Star.
  24. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey just to clear it up for me, since I only really have a vague idea, what exactly did Obi mean by "I will become more powerful than you could ever imagine"? I mean, he becomes one with the Force, but he never manipulated the Force after his death to affect anything alive. All he did was speak to Luke...wasn't it? Ah well, someone please explain :)
  25. Arca_the_Padawan Jedi Padawan

I was also slightly displeased with Anakin's death. Someone in an earlier post mentioned that the most convincing thing they read about his death, was that the other jedi could feel his pain, and lost a connection to him through the force. Well, my brain, not wanting him to be dead, thought of the possibilities. Other times in the series, when some of the jedi use their powers, they are described as 'brilliant' or 'like a binary star' (I think...) in the force. Well, after that much power use, wouldn't he be drained? Wasn't his body in some kind of vong coccoon thingy, or am I not remembering it correctly? The vong don't seem to have a connection to the force, so...
    The emporer had cloning technology long before the vong came around, and they appear to be able to biologically mimic the Republic's machines...maybe they kept the original body, and are trying to shape him as they did Tahiri... ok it's a stretch...
    :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.