main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 2 Episode 15: Senate Murders

[​IMG]
    The Senators show off the newest Animatic of The Bad Batch.

Genre: Murder Mystery

Senate Murders is a really fun little episode. The central mystery is solid, and the backdrop of the derelgualtion of the banks feels fitting.

All the new characters introduced are really good, from Deechi's creepiness, to Burtoni's sense of being more important than everyone else. Tan Divo is really nice as well, and I kind of wish that he'd had another major appearance at some point, although he wouldn't fit into most stories.

One downside is the side-trip to the docks, which just feels like it was put their to add some action to the episode, and pad out the runtime. I would have preferred a altogether slower story, with less action than usual.

Overall however, it's great, a nice breather from the usual battles.

Minor Observations

+I love the little Phase II trooper cameo on Burtoni's hologram. As a Kaminoan, it makes sense for her to be discussing the profitability of changing the clone armour.

+Lolo's motive falls a little flat. Yes Ono did bring the war to Rodia, but he also repelled the invaders. Besides, the war lasted, what, 20 minutes? We don't see a single Rodian die in Bombad Jedi. I suppose she could mean that Rodia has been attacked since, but we're not shown or told this at any point, so it's natural to assume that she's referring to Bombad Jedi.

+Why would Lolo go to the trouble of luring Ono to the docks to frighten him? She works with him all the time, was there not any opportunity for her to talk to him alone. And why doesn't Ono tell anyone about Lolo's threats? And how does she know to go to docks again, to find Bail and Padme?!

+It is a bit weird that we get two episodes set entirely on Coruscant in a row. Add to that Holocron Heist, Lightsaber Lost and The Zillo Beast Strikes Back, and there are a lot of episodes set mainly on it this season.

+I like the little smile that Palpatine gives Lolo, when she's holding the room hostage. It's like he kind of admires her ruthlessness.

2. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 2 Episode 16: Cat and Mouse
    [​IMG]
    "So, we'd like to order a large pizza, with 4 fries and a big bottle of diet coke."

Genre: Submarine Movie

This episode is very good at creating tension, as Anakin and Yularen race to save Christophsis, while having to slow down to avoid detection. Trench is a good new villain, and I like Yularen's previous connection to him.

This story feels in many ways like an origin story for Yularen, full of optimism. At the end he gains a respect for Anakin, which feels rather bittersweet considering Yularen's jaded attitude in Cargo of Doom.

The only real problem comes from Spark and Blackout's shoehorned plotline, which clutters the story somewhat.

Minor Observations

+I love the innuendo when Obi-Wan says that Anakin's nearly kissing the stealth ship. Considering the shape of the ship, the line sounds very dirty...

+One thing I like about the clone subplot is the naming. Balckout is a tired and jaded clone, who undersdtands the reality of war, while Spark is fresh-faced newbie, full of excitement for serving alongside the Jedi. Essentially, he brings a spark to Blackout's darker outlook. In a way, it's not too different to the Anakin-Yularen relationship in Cargo of Doom.

+I like that Cat and Mouse is episode 16 of the season, just like The Hidden Enemy was episode 16 of it's season. Seeing as how they're both prequels to The New Padawan, it feels very appropriate.

+When was the previous battle Yulare had which involved Trench? It must have been really early in the war, considering how it must have took place before the entirety of TCW. However, I like the theory that the battle happened at some point before the war, in some battle between corporate factions. It would show how Yularen got his experience to become an admiral when the Clone War started.

+I like the grey clone armour that the stealth clones have in this episode. However, I wish that the helmets were more original, having previously appeared on Ki Adi Mundi's troops in the Geonosis arc.

enigmaticjedi and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's certainly how the EU handled it - with it taking place the year before TPM begins:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Malastare_Narrows

darskpine10 likes this.
  4. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Oh cool, my theory was right!

Thanks for letting me know about this.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yularen was really annoying in Cargo of Doom, made one really question just how good he was as a commander.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also why did they make him an admiral in TCW? It would have been better for him to be in intelligence or something.

7. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 2 Episode 17: Bounty Hunters
    [​IMG]
    "Take this hat off... I want to see you with my own eyes."

Genre: Seven Samurai

Bounty Hunters is a strong story, that carries on this Season's increasing focus on... well, bounty hunters. The 4 new hunters are a mixed bag. Sugi and Embo both end up really well, Seripas gets a middling plot about his size mattering not, and Rumi is just sort of there. Her death has barely any meaning, as she was the least developed of the 4. I didn't even know her name until looking it up just now. I just knew her as the tall sniper.

The return of Hondo cements his brilliance as a character and he's the best thing in this. He seems a lot more dangerous this time around, arguably his most dangerous, willing to murder an entire village for some expensive crops.

The rapport between the 3 jedi is really strong is this episode as well, each getting a different hunter to play off and contrast with. Obi-Wan and Sugi, with their conflicting ideas on strategy. Ahsoka and Seripas, the small ones, who try to be seen as more powerful. Anakin and Embo, two powerful warriors. Again Rumi, gets no-one to play off, which really makes her one hunter too many.

Apart from Rumi's uselessness, the episode is really good.

Minor Observations

+The fact that a whole medical station was destroyed at the start of the episode is rather glossed over. The one in Shadow of Malevolence housed 1000's of clones, so I presume that many clones were killed off.

+I love the Vulture droid deployment station. It's really cool how the droids fold out, reminding me of the MTT's in TPM.

+The escape 'pods' have got to be the least practical safety strategy ever. That said, the way they bounce around is hilarious, and I love Ahsoka's line: "He always blames the ship".

+The Felucian natives are... ok I guess. Their design feels a bit lackluster, and they're not as well developed as the Lurmen in Defenders of Peace.

+"Like I always say, speak softly and drive a big tank!" [face_laugh]

+Kevin Kiner's score for this episode is absolutely gorgeous in places. There's the slightly off-key music that plays when the 'pods' are bouncing, that makes it seem even funnier. There's also a beautiful piece that plays during the training and farming montage in the village, that is really great. I wish it had been released (I always seem to say that).

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 2 Episode 18: The Zillo Beast
    [​IMG]
    Anakin wonders if he touches it, his hair will stand on end.

Genre: Godzilla

The Zillo Beast is, to me, the best episode of TCW ever made. That's not to say it's my favourite, Overlords is crammed with so many wonderful concepts. But it's the finest crafted episode of the show, it excels in so many ways, visually and in story terms and manages to pack it all into a single 20 minute extravaganza. Which is quite impressive considering that it's basically just the first half of a Godzilla movie.

It all begins with the incredibly epic opening battle, which presents us with a sense of scale rarely seen in Star Wars, even in the films. Malastare has a really unique design, of wide open jagged, black, rocky plains. It's a planet I'd wanted to see since it was mentioned in TPM, and it doesn't disappoint.

The Electro-Proton bomb has a cool design, and is a cool analogue for the atomic bombs in the source material. The blast it creates has a really cool design as well. It's also a Republic response to the Defoliator in Defenders of Peace, as a bomb that only affects droids. The subtle detail of Anakin's arm even breaking down is really nice.

The sinkhole's sudden creation is awesome as well, and I love how it consumes the whole battlefield, regardless of which side the combatants are on. I also like how the effects of the bomb are temporary, and the Dugs have to use electrostaffs to deactivate some of the droids.

Mace's trip into the pit is a tense sequence, arguably the slowest in the episode. Anakin's rescue is fun, and I love the foreshadowing of the next episode's resolution, with Anakin riding on R2 just like Palpatine.

The scene where Palpatine is shown the beast is done really well. He almost admires the beast, for it's great power. I also love the detail of the slightly obscured hologram, like they can't get a full picture through the fog, so are piecing it together from multiple images.

I really love the scenes where the beast is illuminated by the explosions of the Dug's catapults (which are really unique and cool).

I also like how the Doge Urus's desire to kill the beast, leads to it climbing out of the pit. (I'd like to add how much I like the fact that he's a Doge. I always like it when Star Wars uses obscure names for it's leaders, like Emir Tambor in the Ryloth arc)

The stun tanks have a surprisingly cool design, clearly a variant of the electro-cannons from AOTC. For a tank that only appeared in 2 episodes, it sure made a legacy in Lego Clone Wars. I loved playing as it in that game.

The way that the beast is lit up by the cannons is really nice, like they're spotlights.

In the end the beast is defeated and airlifted away. It does raise the small question of why the Dugs sign the treaty, then the Jedi immediately start talking about how the beast is actually alive. What was the point of the deception of knocking it out, when they're just going to blow the whole thing.

But it's still an incredible ride, and a very unique episode of TCW, which homages, and even sometimes surpasses, it's source material. I could watch this episode again and again.

Minor Observations

+Whoever decided to pair Anakin and Mace for the last 5 episodes of the season is a genius. The pairing is really great, and I would've liked to see more of it.

+They gave Mace Windu a clonetrooper called Hawkeye! I can't believe how funny I find that.

+I love how all the species on Malastare have awkwardly shaped limbs. For instance, the Dugs walk on their hands, and the 'horses' they ride also have strange shaped legs. Add to that the Zillo Beast and it's extra arm, and it creates a realistic sense that all these creatures come from the same world.

+In this episode, Dr Boll is stated to be the inventor of the Electro-Proton Bomb. However, in the next episode, she is chosen to oversee the Zillo Beast. So she's a physicist and a biologist!?

+It seems a bit wasteful of the Dugs to flush their expensive oil down into the sinkhole.

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 2 Episode 19: The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
    [​IMG]
    Palpatine and the beast's long distance romanced just wasn't working.

Genre: Godzilla

This was always going to happen. When the previous episode introduced the beast, it was inevitable that they would bring it to the city. However, it was also inevitable that it would be a bit of a let down after last time. The conclusion is essentially the same as in part 1, despite the enjoyment of the beast rampaging through Coruscant.

I do like the subplot of Anakin and Padme disagreeing about the fate of the beast, and Anakin's devotion to Palpatine.

But it's basically just the same as The Zillo Beast, with little more than a scenery change.

Minor Observations

+Seeing as how Dr. Boll refines the Malastare fuel into a gas, that also suggests that she's a chemist, as well as a biologist and a physicist.

+Seeing as how the beast's scales are lightsaber-resistant, and the beast is dead, then why didn't the Republic mass produce some armour made of Zillo scales? That was the whole purpose of capturing the beast in the first place, so why does it never go ahead? Does Palpatine hoard the scales for himself? He could've worn a saber-proof vest. :p

+I hope that the Zillo clone turns up one day. It also makes me think of the Force Unleashed II. So the beast will have amnesia, and won't know who he really is, before saving the love of his life. ;)

+Why aren't there any stun tanks at the beast's hangar? AT-TE's were shown to be useless, and what good do they think that clones with blasters will do?

+Yoda and Aayla Secura achieve absolutely nothing by running around on the back of the beast, waving their sabers around uselessly.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Thats episode 8's plot! The Return of the Zillo beast or maybe @BaseDeltaZillo

CIS Droid, cwustudent and darskpine10 like this.
  11. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    The zillo beast duology is great, even if the second part is similar to the first. Im just dissapointed that the the cloning of zillo beast never happend.

darskpine10 likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So I have decided that after getting some inspiration from a BTS video

I will now watch every single episode from Ambush to Sacrifice and count all the deaths while reviewing it.

The rules are everything that seems certain they dead counts.

This also includes all unnamed characters, but does not include deaths that we don't see for example a ship blowing up.

Dave Filoni, I will be that person who keeps a death count starting today. This is going to be a while.

(Droids do not count)

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I know this is a double post, but I wanted to right it all down before I forgot.
    [​IMG]
    There is always a bigger gun

This episode has Zero deaths

Ambush is a good start to a series that I absolutely love, and I can still remember watching this episode back in 2008 on starwars.com because thats were I watched it instead of on the TV.

My favorite quotes are
    "It's not like a jedi to be late"
    "Ah Well. It's my programing"
    "Only by surviving it, will you prevail"

My only real problem with the episode is why did the droids not shot while Yoda was just sitting there?

I find it interesting that a Droid calls another droid "bucket head" because it is what the Rebels call STs

I love how Yoda decapitates the droids head during the conversation with Ventress.

I find it interesting that the droids call Asajj "Supreme Leader" I get why they would call her commander, but why Supreme Leader?

I absolutely loved Yoda and Dooku's conversation at the end, you could feel the emotion in it, and the intensity.

14. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    What about the 4 episodes that make up the movie?

And the 8 animatics?

But anyway, I tried to do a similar thing as you, charting deaths, but for a much shorter series.

Thunderbirds. It got exactly 33 deaths, slightly more than one per episode.

I mainly did it to compare with Captain Scarlet, to see if there was a marked increase, seeing as how it was a supposedly darker show. It got 66 deaths, exactly double that of Thunderbirds.

I'd be wary of doing it for TCW, as 1) the show has over 100 episodes, 2) There are some quite ambiguous deaths throughout the series and 3) There's just so much death in this show!

Darthmaul208 and CIS Droid like this.
  15. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    Where do you find them BTS videos?

CIS Droid likes this.
  16. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    This channel is great, has most of the featurettes https://www.youtube.com/user/mranderson00001
    I also love Ambush. Its a fun episode with the Dooku yoda scene and the clone cave scene. It really was a great way to start the series ( not counting the movie ofcourse, even though i prefer ambush). I like that yoda did need help from the three clones in the end, and the coral moon is a nice place. Also introduced one of my favorite droids, the green aat droid. Its just a really paint job.
    [​IMG]

Ambush featurette.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

Rising Malevolence
    2 deaths by suffocation
    2-deaths

This episode marks wolff's first appearance along with Plo Koon, and here he looks to be more like a technician then a commander.

I like the back and forth talk between Ahsoka and Anakin ( I know surprising I liked ahsoka back in season 1-3)

quotes I like
    "The air is getting a bit...stale"
    "When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you."

Dee Bradley Baker nails the voices of the clones in this episode and I can hear the fear when those two clones get sucked into space.

CIS Droid and La Calavera like this.
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Ahsoka in seasons 1-2 is the best Ahsoka. I still like her after, but she lost her sense of humor.

19. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Its a shame we dont count off screen deaths. Grievous was responsible for the deaths of everyone inside the 3 venators except Plo´s pod. Rising malevolence is a great episode. The Ashoka finding plo through the force scene is really good and it introduced my favorite ship in all of star wars, the malevolence. Its a really great design. The escape from the malevolence at the end is also a great sequence.[​IMG]

Rising Malevolence featurette

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Shadow of Malevolence
    12 deaths in this episode
    Death count 14

Its interesting to note that the senate was the one to commission the Malevolence hunt, and something funny is that the clones are sitting in office spiny chairs during the briefing.

I like how its hinted at when matchstick says "Drinks are on me" that the clones have leave which we later find out they do in season 6.

The animators did an amazing job for the nebula.

Quotes
    "The head clanker. Skywalker is getting pretty ambitious."
    "Nah. It's just smiling at you."
    "From a certain point of view"

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well its been longer then a day so I should be good to post this.

[​IMG]

Destroy malevolence
    0 deaths
    Total deaths 14

I love whenever Kenobi says "Blazes" it just cracks me up

I like how the train system has an announcer saying "mind the gap"

The Fire men droids are really funny to watch.

Anakin makes a joke about spinning while flying, good call back to TPM.

I love the sound of the Naboo blaster.

I wish we could see the crater the Malevolence leaves on that moon. It must be gigantic.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 2 Episode 20: Death Trap
    [​IMG]
    The third Clone on the right has a hilarious expression on his face in this shot.

Death Trap is the first TCW episode to feature Boba Fett, and I really like that his first episode juxtaposes him with his Clones. I like his relationship with the other cadets, and the really great scene where he hesitates just a moment before killing the clone in the engine room. It must be hard when they all resemble his Father.

I also like some other aspects of the episode. Aurra Sing is an effective character and I like that Boba sees her as a sort of Mother figure, which he never had. I also like the fact that she's morally bankrupt, and a terrible mentor for him. Bossk being there is cool too, and I like how devoted he is to Boba.

I like Sergeant Crasher a lot, we've never seen a Clone teacher before. He does seem a bit old for a clone though. Maybe he was one of the first produced?

Admiral Killian is nice as well, and I like seeing more of the imperial admirals.

Overall, it's a nice debut for Boba's arc on the series, progressing from student to Sing, to part of a team, to independent Bounty Hunter. It's a shame that we still haven't got the final part of his arc, but I'm hopeful that it will be released some day.

Minor Observations

+Fury has a cool helmet design, and I like the scene where Boba shows off his skills.

+I feel sorry for the clone that Mace gives his report to, who gets caught in the explosion. Poor guy.

+I love how Anakin enjoys showing off to the clones. It feels really in character for him to think that he's the best.

+The engine control console reminds me of the TARDIS console.

23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 2 Episode 21: R2 Come Home
    [​IMG]
    Anakin, Mace and the droids arrive on Jakku... uh, I mean Vanquor

The second part of this arc takes the focus off of Boba, to it's detriment. Focussing on R2 seems like a very strange choice, and it's rather annoying. I do like the Home Alone style scenes of R2 throwing stuff on the Bounty Hunters though, and I like his escape in the fighter.

I like that we return to Vanquor this season, but that it looks different from before, with the added wreckage.

Castas is a bit of a weak new character, and his subplot is rather predictable.

So it's a bit downhill this week unfortunately.

Minor Observations

+I like how R8-B7 acts more snooty and upper class compared to R2's more lower class mechanic. I like how both droids reflect they're masters. I do find it sad when she dies though.

+The Gundarks are a lot more brutal and creepy than they were in Dooku captured, where they were largely played for laughs.

+I like how R2 tries to spray oil on the Gundark, like the Super Battle Droids in ROTS, but fails miserably.

+Wolffe gets a new helmet in this episode, and I like how it has the Wolfpack symbol covering most of the face, unlike his second phase I helmet. It makes it look more wolf-like.

+I find it a bit strange that R2 has to fly all the way to Coruscant and back to save Mace and Anakin. How long were the two of them crushed under that Venator? Couldn't R2 have just called for help from a nearby system, instead of going all the way back to the Jedi Temple?

+I do like the way he pushes the other droids out of the way, and falls down the stairs to reach Ahsoka.

CIS Droid likes this.
  24. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    I noticed in this episode Plo Koon asked Ahsoka who R2 is but didn't he meet him in Rising Malovelence

25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I guess he did, only to shut him down to avoid being detected by the Malevolence.

Maybe it's just the general disdain for droids that Obi-Wan and Mace also share?