main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Shadow of Malevolence:

The creatures in the nebula and Ahsoka's constant chatter and frequent complaining annoyed me.

"Does anyone care what the Padawan thinks?"
    "Of course we do, Snips...but we're still going through that nebula."

[face_laugh]

I also thought it was a bit heavy-handed regarding the "look how horrible Grievous is! He's going after wounded clones!", particularly with him making the comment about "wounded clones having time to escape". (Really??)

All that said...the scene at the end with Ahsoka walking up to Anakin and the two of them staring out at the skyline was one of my favorites in the series.

Destroy Malevolence:

The couple fight with Anakin and Padme vs the droids is always worth it, as is the reaction of both Obi-Wan and Ahsoka to Anakin's protests about exactly why he was so concerned about saving Padme: the raised eyebrows and smirks and 'You're not fooling anyone' vibe.

Anakin sending the Malevolence into a moon was also priceless.

Only downside? All the droids needed to shut up.

2. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Rookies:

I remember this being one of my only 10/10s in the series and it did not disappoint this time either.

Anakin and Obi-Wan worked great together, the friendship really shone through.

The commando droids were badass, really amped up the suspense, and the clones proved themselves, Rex in particular but the new "shinies" as well.

And we got hoodie Ventress for a minute or so.

Downfall of a Droid:

Remember those couple of weeks when we thought Anakin had just gotten an R3 unit with a bad motivator instead of a traitor unit? Yeah, good times.

"Stubby, you'd make a poor excuse for a light switch!" LOL.

Ahsoka's cutsie nicknames were probably worse in this episode than in any other, but Anakin got her back. "Pookums."

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Duel of the Droids:

Translating astromech speak is always fun, and imagining R2 saying "Go **** yourself" to Grievous more than once in this episode made it worthwhile.

This was a good episode about blowing up listening posts, and astromech spies getting pushed off platforms, and Ahsoka getting a decent challenge from Grievous only to be saved by Anakin blowing up the listening post.

And it could be about Obi-Wan still having the idea that droids can't think.

Bombad Jedi:

...in which the most superfluously chatty PT character and the most superfluously chatty OT character do a buddy-cop-esque team-up...successfully.

I always enjoy the finding the robe in the closet. "I wonder whose robe this is?" "I'm sure I don't know."

:oops:

Mace Windu. The robe belongs to Mace Windu.

OK, really, apparently Anakin's midichlorian count is so elevated that just throwing on his robe makes one a Jedi.

Padme is a full-on badass in this one; we needed more of that in the films and TCW.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Cloak of Darkness:

This has always been one of my favorite episodes and it was even better than I remembered it.

Ventress is the queen of awesome. All the other awesome characters bow down and worship her. She kicked ass and took names.

The traitor Senate Guard was kind of an interesting concept, and Gunray was portrayed as an idiot, as usual.

Ahsoka got a consequence for being brash but not for disobedience. And she and Luminara needed to write a Deep Thoughts book full of platitudes.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lair of Grievous:

I love Kit Fisto, but how the hell did Nadar get through any sort of testing to be a Knight? He did not seem to have much to offer other than "I'm going to GET that Grievous!!!"

And for someone who is made mostly from metal, Grievous can certainly throw multiple raging tantrums in a short period of time.

I did like the thriller-movie creepiness level that this episode provided.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well Nadar is like a proto Krell, just not so far gone nor experienced. Nadar reminded me of the 8th Brother. Most of the Jedi, especially cartoon specific created were jobbers meant to die.

7. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Leave Diego out of this!

What's interesting, is that Krell and Nadar and many other Jedi are becoming more impatient and willing to use violence but they aren't becoming more powerful nor are they fully tapping into the Dark Side.

8. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    :p They're really not. Remember how obvious it was in Evil Plans?

During the unproduced arcs, I hope we'd see them in better circumstances, again like Evil Plans. I'd also like to see their last goodbye, before ROTS.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dooku Captured:

Meh.

I remember liking this one at one time. But it did not do well on the rewatch. Maybe Sidious should have recruited Hondo. And while the Anakin/Obi-Wan banter is always great, Anakin losing his lightsaber gets old, and Ahsoka should not have had to save both of them.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Gungan General:

Meh again.

The Obi-Wan/Anakin/Dooku dialogue was great, as was Dooku picking the lock on the cell.

Jar-Jar negotiating with Hondo was a lot of levels of WTF.

Glad that arc is over.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi Crash:

*sigh*

Much better.

I love this one. Loved seeing Anakin and Ahsoka's bond and her reaction when he got hurt, and Aayla's speech about attachment, which is exactly how I have always understood the Jedi philosophy on attachment--don't let it get in the way of the greater good, don't allow thousands to die to save one.

Anakin's reactions when he woke up each time were priceless, especially when he saw about ten Lurmen staring at him and said "Um...SNIPS?!?!"

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I made some observations when watching the Clone Wars last, and I intended to post them when I recapped those episodes. I never got that far though, so I'll just post them now.

From Shades of Reason:

+At one point Bo-Katan refers to Pre Viszla as a 'true son of Mandalore'. This is an interesting choice of words, that seems to reflect Maul's postion as a 'Son of Dathomir'.

From The Lawless:

+I've noticed something interesting about Maul's name in TCW. As far as I can recall, he only ever refers to himself as Maul, and doesn't use the Darth title. This is a really subtle and brilliant way to show how he's divorced himself from the Sith now.

+I love Sidious' ship, a black version of the standard transport.

+Obi-Wan mentions going to Maul's village and knows that he didn't choose the dark side willingly. When exactly did he learn this fact? In Witches of the Mist, Anakin and Obi-Wan only visit to find out about Savage, not Maul, and that leads them to Talzin (who weirdly gives away his location). They find out nothing about Maul's history.

+I love how the Death Watch laser colours, formerly yellow to signify their neutrality in the Clone Wars, have changed to red for Maul's side and blue for Bo-Katan's. Now Maul has been revealed as a villain, and Bo is on the side of good. It's very subtle, but I like the little details.

+I like how Savage's Dark side clothes disappear as well as his extra size. Does that mean that he wore them over his old clothes, and that they were and illusion the whole time? :p

From The Jedi Who Knew Too Much:

+I really like how, when the camera pans out to show the Republic prison during Ahsoka's escape, a slowed-down version of the Clone Wars Separatist theme is played. It shows how the Republic is sliding ever more into villainy.

+There's an error regarding Ahsoka's sabers. At one point, she loses her main saber, leaving herself with only her shoto. However, in later scenes, and the next episode she will only have her main saber instead.

+I found it interesting to note that the sewers that Ashoka flees through were reused in Rebels, in Vision of Hope. Maybe the Empire or Repbulic just builds all its sewers from identical plans.

From Orders:

+At one point, Five's chip is shown, and it's clearly Tup's damaged chip. I guess that the models must have been mixed up at some point.

+I like how Five's sheds his uniform when he starts investigating the mystery. It suggests that his blind loyalty is wavering. His further change of appearance after the shave goes to further distance him from his proud Arc trooper history.

+A small but brilliant detail, when all of the troops take off their helmets to honour Five's death, Fox keeps his on, showing just how loyal he is to the Repbulic.

From the Clovis Arc:

+I love the little hybrid Jedi fighter Anankin has in his room. It shows a mix between the AOTC and ROTS models, and I wish that we had seen this thing in action.

+At one point Padme asks Clovis his history in the banking clan. But how does she not already know it? They were lovers in the past, and Clovis' history must have surely come up at some point.

+I love how the doctor droid just states bluntly that he serves Count Dooku. How did that happen? How did a doctor come to serve Dooku? Maybe it's 11-4D from Palgueis.

+During Palpatine's speech at the end, he says that 'The Repbulic... will not... crumble!'. Oddly, the last word is spoken by Tim Curry, not Ian Abercrombie as in the rest of the episode. Was that one word not recorded when the rest of the sentence was?

From the Yoda arc:

+I love Yoda's cute little deprivation suit, and I like how his pose after nearly dying in it is similar to his final death pose in ROTJ.

+There are some rodent like creatures present on Oba-Diah in The Lost One that then reappear on Dagobah in Voices. I suppose it's a good reuse of assets.

+When Yoda arrives on the Force planet, the same music that played when the Jedi entered Mortis, linking the 2 arcs in their explorations of the mysticism of the force. Further musical cues occur when Yoda sees the destroyed Jedi temple. Ironically, it's Anakin Sees His Future, and Yoda's seeing the exact same future.

+Some Neebra manta rays are briefly seen on the Force planet. This links back to Yoda's first appearance in Ambush, when small manta rays clustered around him at one point, and to Shadow of Malevolence, when it was established that they live in nebulae similar to the Force planet.

+I really love the long shot of Yoda during his final vision of Anakin and the clones. The camera sticks to Yoda's face, never quite showing Anakin or the clones in full. It really adds a sense of unease to the vision.

From The Bad Batch:

+The first episode appears to show a new type of Tactical droid, more closely resembling the original model, and not the newer variant.

From Son of Dathomir:

+In A Tale of Two Apprentices, Dooku alludes to Grievous that he knows Maul's backstory. When it comes to Proxy War however, Dooku is shocked to learn that Talzin is his mother.

+In A Tale of Two Apprentices, Grievous has a tactical droid named Tey-Zuka, the second tactical droid to be given a name, after Kalani was named in the Onderon arc. I wonder why these new Tactical droids get names, and whether it was leading anywhere.

cwustudent and Darthmaul208 like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I think that's been pointed out before. There's also been other instances on the show with lightsabers, such as having the wrong one, or having duplicates of the same lightsaber, one in hand and on on a character's belt.
    Possibly. Same thing happened in another episode where Abercrombie was Palpatine except for a single line which Curry did.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, that was in Revival. But at least that was a whole line.

Did Abercrombie record the speech, only to stop at the final word? Or did they just decide that his performance of the word wasn't what they wanted?

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Defenders of the Peace:

My only other exposure to Lok Durd was through Karen Miller's novels, and he was a better character there.

But I enjoyed this episode. It used to irritate me that the Lurmen were too principled to defend themselves; now I just feel sorry for them because they did not ask to be invaded.

Trespass:

Speciesism/Avatar crossover. I did like the talk about choosing to die for one's people vs choosing to live for one's people. And the landscape of Pantora.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Blue Shadow Virus:

The term "robolobotomy" alongside the head of the B1 droid cracked me up for some reason.

I've always liked the concept behind this arc, because bioweapons are scary as hell and the Separatists are more of a threat when armed with them.

One thing TCW always did well was to show Anakin and Padme's normal moments, even when they had to be discreet. Him stroking her cheek when he found her, and asking if she was alright--and her response, "Ani, next time rescue us before destroying all the droids"--was one of those.

And Ahsoka's "I'm fine too, thanks for asking" is great. She knew what was up.

Mystery of a Thousand Moons:

I could have lived without the superstitious bull**** but that was really the only thing I did not like.

I appreciated Anakin's urgency when Padme and Ahsoka both got sick, and I could swear that Padme was getting ready to say "I love you" in that hologram to Anakin.

And Vindi is always good for a laugh. "Doomed! DOOMED!!!"

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

It's all way too on the nose, isn't it? They're referencing ROTS in a manner that is just way too transparent. We know what's going to happen, but Aayla doesn't, and having Anakin's future just laid out so plainly to Ahsoka is just terribly obnoxious.

It's one of those examples of Ahsoka being Anakin 2.0; Anakin, but better. This time, we'll get it right. We'll make sure she'll learn the lessons he didn't. We'll lay it out for her. We'll deconstruct Anakin's life and use him as a cautionary tale for Ahsoka to learn from...while she's still Anakin's apprentice, before Anakin even falls.

It's all way too transparent for me.

cwustudent likes this.
  18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's not unknown for dialogue or other things to be changed late in production. Then the VA has to record the new lines. Obviously in this case Abercrombie died and Tim Curry had to record the additional dialogue.

And Senator Chuchi [face_love] [face_love]

I had a new graduate join my team a year ago who is so much smarter than me, which became abundantly clear when I started showing her the ropes. She also handed my ass to me in foosball. So I can definitely believe that Ahsoka's smarter and better than Anakin, ROTS references aside.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  19. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I think the point of the poster was to say that Ahsoka was deliberately created as better version of Anakin with all his qualities and his "knowledge" but without his setbacks or failings, as if she was learning from Anakin's example before his fall even happened. Not that Ahsoka was naturally more talented or smarter than Anakin.

I do think Ahsoka was intended to be an alternative version of Anakin without his problems. Like, what would have happened if Anakin was raised in the temple, did not have Palps on him, no secret marriage, and basically no reasons to be tempted to the darkside.

Darthmaul208 and cwustudent like this.
  20. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012

I don't think it has anything to do with Ahsoka learning from his fall, but it just goes to show why the Jedi didn't want to let Anakin in, because he was too old. Ahsoka just shows the comparison between Anakin and a padawan who has been raised as a Jedi. The following quote comes from the old starwars.com encyclopedia, and it's quite interesting:
    But this is nothing new, we can make the same comparison between Anakin and Obi-Wan, or really any other regular Jedi.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  21. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Such a small but interesting detail! I'm glad you mentioned it, especially since I was about to watch that arc. One of my favorites, too.

darskpine10 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think it was about her age or different experiences. It was about the fact that she has personality traits that led Anakin to his downfall, such as getting attached to people, being impulsive, emotional and often defying authority, and those personality traits got the better of her pretty often. But she was able to have that personality and the same challenges and shortcomings Anakin had without turning to the Dark Side, sometimes without any consequences at all.

Her being raised in the Temple can't explain that away.

I had a real issue with this later on, her living Anakin's life but better, her learning from his Dark Side turn that had not even happened yet ("You will never see your future if you remain his student") later in the series.

But it did not really bother me in Jedi Crash, because I have a soft spot for bonds between Anakin and other characters and I was zeroed in on that aspect of it.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Storm Over Ryloth:

Ahsoka gets her first command and fails spectacularly. Which seems a little more normal for a first mission for a teenage Padawan, and I thought Anakin in his role as teacher was great.

Ahsoka's scene with Yularen was melodramic though.

Innocents of Ryloth:

Geez, those Numa scenes were sadder than I remembered, and I remember them being pretty sad.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Liberty on Ryloth:

Cham is a badass. I enjoyed his rivalry with Orn Free Taa, whom I have never liked.

And that kid who runs into his arms is totally Hera, even if she does turn green before adulthood.

Holocron Heist:

Ahsoka gets a consequence for disobeying orders. That's a change. I thought Anakin was handled well, between his anxiety and his taking some ownership before the Council.

And Mace after Ahsoka mouthed off to him..."longer now"...LOL.

I liked the appearance of the archives in the library that only a Jedi Master can reach because those are the archives that Anakin wanted to enter in ROTS, at least according to the novelization, to find out how to stop death.

And we've got the Star Wars version of Polyjuice Potion but I think I liked Polyjuice Potion better.

Cargo of Doom:

Probably the creepiest episode in the entire series. Nothing like watching someone get tortured to death in a children's cartoon.

Really showed Anakin's attachment to Ahsoka too, and his willingness to sacrifice the future of the entire Order to keep her alive. When this episode first aired, I assumed he would do something similar later on but she would die anyway.

25. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Nightsisters, Monster, Witches of the Mist
    I wonder how Dooku and Ventress first paired up. Before I move onto ROTS, I plan to watch some Tartakovsky to fill in the blanks.

Interesting to watch this arc now. Apparently Talzin helped Sidious in the past, he stole her kid, and not only corrupted the kid, but fed the pride which led to Maul's downfall. I wonder if Talzin knew about Dooku taking on Ventress as an apprentice. Perhaps she blessed their relationship, thinking it might lead to them destroying Sidious for her.

I wonder how Dooku and Ventress first paired up. Before I move onto ROTS, I plan to watch some Tartakovsky to fill in the blanks.

Darth Maul Returns
    The movie should have more content than the episodes, not less! I wish the deleted scenes had made the movie's final cut! :_|

Shadow Conspiracy
    I've nothing to add that hasn't been said before, by myself or others.

The Disappeared
    Poor sexually-repressed Mace. I miss Talzin.