main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Rewatched the Mon Calamari trilogy tonight and it is as bad as I remember. Besides Fisto, the beautiful undersea animation, which is in all honesty amazing, and Tamson(though generic CIS villain) I have nothing really positive to say about it.

There was really no reason for them to visit Mon Calamari IMO though, should of opened Season 4 like this but on another planet without the Prince/King crap(similar to Ryloth or/and Geonosis).

The Prince might be the worst character TCW has ever created.

AkashKedavra_93 and cwustudent like this.
  2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The Prince felt extremely generic to me, devoid of any unique characteristics. And the first episode has two pet peeves of mine that prevent me from counting it (and thus the whole arc) in my canon, Ackbar's ultra-lame "teach them a lesson in manners" line as he's about to get violent in the middle of a political dispute (zero self-control from a future admiral?), and of course that moment where Anakin can't use the Force to retrieve his breathing apparatus from a couple feet away and has to be saved by, of all characters, Ahsoka.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I felt bad for the Prince. He was just a kid, his father was murdered, and he was being used by pretty much everyone around him.

I couldn't stand Biff Tannen Riff Tamsin. For ****'s sake, a bad-guy shark? Seems like it's been done multiple times before. Why not use, say, a bad guy jellyfish who goes around stinging everyone with his butt? Then the other characters would know to run like hell if they got mooned. Would have been more original.

(Actually I shouldn't insult Biff Tannen like I just did...anyway...)

And yes, as Tarkas already said, Anakin not being able to retrieve his ****ing helmet without the little Padawan's help was just ridiculous.

I did like the fact that the entire sequence is underwater (apparently they filmed it in a fish tank, I thought that was cool) and I liked seeing so much Kit Fisto, and the brief scene with Padme being trapped and Anakin going bats, but otherwise I wasn't impressed.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    anakinfansince1983
    That's interesting. I like to hear what people hated about this arc. The helmet thing was rage-inducing. I have trouble watching this arc, because of how many situations and scenes are in the second and third eps. I really don't like that tornado sequence. I'd rather just skip to the final battle, thanks. Is there any chance you saw the deleted scene on the BR? I really liked the stuff with the giant clam - it reminded me of the Sorting Hat.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't even separate out the three episodes anymore. I haven't seen the BR deleted scene; I don't have the Blu-Rays.

I can't say that I "hated" the arc, I liked parts of it, there were just quite a few headdesk-worthy scenes.

I just re-watched Rookies, probably for the first time since I bought the season 1 DVDs, and I had forgotten how impressive it was. This was the first time we were really introduced to the clones as anything other than side characters, and I thought the show presented them fantastically.

Positives:

--Seeing "the Rishi maze" mentioned in AOTC up close and personal. This is one thing I've liked about the show, seeing up close and personal worlds that we had only heard mentioned in passing.
    --Clone humor. Some of it was lame, but some of it was pretty good, especially the parts about their being bored at the listening post.
    --The droids were far more badass than any droids we've seen since.
    --Anakin and Obi-Wan comparing tactics again and making jokes about their clone commanders adopting their tactics.
    --Good OT references. The moon seemed like a barren version of Hoth with it being a pretty dead place until the "meteor shower" showed up with the Separatist ships hidden. I was reminded of Han coming across the Imperial probe droid. Then there was the clone-disguised-as-droid Jabba's Palace reference.
    --The tibanna; first time we've heard about this on screen since ESB I believe. I'm guessing that people who don't read the EU probably wouldn't know that it's used in blasters, therefore wouldn't know what the hell Lando was mining on Cloud City. Another good reference.
    --Hevy. :_| And Cut-Up. With the added dark humor about their not liking the place too much anyway.
    --I've never been the clone fan girl that Seerow and Coric are, but damn. I really like the guy with the goatee and the bald guy Fives and Rex. Somebody has to be very skilled with animation to make cartoon characters that ****ing hot.

Negatives:

--That eel. What the blessed ****. Space slug reference maybe, but a bad one.

A solid 9/10.

Seerow likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I like to think the eel is a Big Trouble in Little China reference. Probably not, though. Would love to get an answer on that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've never seen that movie so I don't know the scene beyond your .gif, but I do see some similarities there.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah. I adore the clones but have never really found them attractive and thats not to say cartoon characters can't be hot. TCW needs more men with long, dark hair (my weakness) to pick my interest.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've always thought they were attractive but it was just more blatantly obvious to me in this episode.

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well Gregor kinda was. I liked the beard. =b

Really I find Krismo is be among the most attractive guys in TCW in a really exotic way. Love his hair! I want to pull it. <<;

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Downfall of a Droid:

Nice opening with Anakin and Ahsoka working together and Anakin showing off his piloting skills, even if he did end up getting shot down.

Anakin telling Ahsoka that she would learn more from hands-on experience than from textbooks. Truer words were never spoken.

Droids are compared to people, both in Anakin's attachment to a particular one and another's ability to have loyalty to a particular side. I can see Anakin getting attached to objects as he gets attached to people, but the droid--was he programmed that way or did Anakin just piss him off? :p. Of course Anakin letting his emotions get the better of him regarding R2, gave his value away to the droid salesman, and henceforth to Grievous.

Ah, Ahsoka, could you tell anymore stupid jokes? Gold on gold on gold. *headdesk*. And WTF did she and Anakin call each other? "Snookums" and "Gramps"? [face_sick]

7/10

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Duel of the Droids:

Opening with an alternate version of "You're a feisty one, but you'll soon learn some respect." Nice, and I'm glad they didn't use direct dialogue.

Ah, more dumb battle droid humor.

Nice "oh ****" moment with R2's memory contents being discovered by Grievous.

If Ahsoka says "Goldie" one more time, I'm going to end up with alcohol poisoning.

Nice droid shutdown weapon that Rex has. But I don't recall ever seeing it again.

Ah. Ahsoka, calling Grievous "just another tinnie" and living to tell about it. Aren't you special?

Anakin: "You have something that belongs to me." I liked the symbolism and ramifications in that line."

Getting traitor droid was "Obi-Wan's idea." Of course. Ahsoka discovering his traitorous nature--another "of course."

Anakin freaking the **** out when he learned that Ahsoka took Grievous alone--sign of his growing attachment, and like "Snookums", causes the lame-ass 'shippers to go bats.

Nice R2 vs R3 scene in the end, in which R2 proves himself, once again, to be the biggest badass in the galaxy.

Ahsoka proves herself to be a Mary Sue by siding with Obi-Wan against Anakin. Girl you are 14.
    6/10

GGrievous likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    It's gold. For gold leader. Of gold squadron?

I found it amusing the last time I watched it.

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Dooku Captured

I guess the idea of Anakin trying to hunt down Dooku is pretty solid, too bad they didn't stick with that.

Kenobi just floating on up to the CIS ship, entering through an airlock and strolling through the corridors was just beyond my ability swallow.

That's followed up by Anakin and Kenobi not sensing each other in the Force. Later, Anakin is following Dooku down a shaft, loses sight of him, comes up on a fork in the path and can't tell which path Dooku took. What happened to Jedi instincts? These little things add up in annoyance, especially the non-existent Force.

Dooku sitting in meditation was kinda cool, it was Jedi-like. I'm not saying Sith don't meditate, it just seems more like something Jedi do, and with Dooku being a former Jedi I thought it was a nice touch to his character.

Dooku got to show off his mastery of the Force by collapsing the ceiling of the cave. I think he should use more telekinesis, he spams Force lightning way too much.

The Kowakian monkey-lizard was slightly amusing, nothing more. I don't worship Lord Kowak the way some do, so it didn't do a lot for me.

Kenobi and Anakin pelting a Gundark with rocks was cool, nice to see them using the Force so offensively, it was like something the microseries would do.

I like the flying saucers. They don't really fit the pirates, but they're still cool.

I just can't buy Dooku getting captured by pirates, regardless of how it happened. When I think of the Clone Wars, what happened in between AOTC and ROTS, this just didn't happen.

How can Sidious even tolerate Dooku after getting captured by pirates?

Anakin and Kenobi do not sense the deception or danger involved with their drinks? More absence of the Force.

I want to give this episode a 1, but I guess the monkey lizard, the drinking, the overall absurdity of this episode is so silly I'm compelled to give it a 3/10.

Gungan General

Not much to say. More Jar Jar foolishness. BJ Hughes was terrible. I guess the rhinos were cool, the astromechs with frickin blasters attached to their heads were cool and Dooku forcing that pirate to shoot his friend before crushing his throat with the Force was pretty wicked.

Another thing I cannot buy: Anakin and Obi-Wan and Dooku in the same room together without trying to kill each other. Just wouldn't happen, regardless.

1/10

Not sure why I watched these episodes.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Me too

16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I like the Spoof Wars version better:

Ahsoka: "Master, look, a new droid arrived!

Anakin: "Who peed on it?"

Ahsoka: "What? No, it's a gold droid! For gold leader.. (Anakin walks away) .. of brown squadron.."

17. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    The power of Hondo Ohnaka is too strong for even you to avoid (and surprisingly, you did not mention him).

18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    That's because I'm not a fan of Hondo.

19. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Well, even though you're not a fan, I think you at least could have mentioned him and your opinion on the character, much seeing as this was his first appearance on the show.

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I didn't find him noteworthy.

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Hondo had gotten over exposed at this point.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think Hondo is one of the noteworthy exceptions on the show recently. I always liked him a lot more than Cad Bane, and he stands out amongst mostly boring TCW-exclusive characters.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's my take on it as well. He was cool when he was introduced but enough already.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I enjoy him better now, probably because I think his S5 episodes are better than Dooku Captured/The Gungan General.

25. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    That duology annoys me because I really enjoy the first part, but then Jar Jar comes barging in and ruins the second.

Hondo's two appearances in Season 2 were both great; "Bounty Hunters" and "Lethal Trackdown". Especially his remark to Aurra about Boba, "Not mine I take it?" [face_laugh]

AkashKedavra_93 and cwustudent like this.