main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For first time viewers what do you think of part 3 flowing into 4?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by hiphopfurby, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't think GL should make any more changes to the OT. IF he does want to clean things up, that's one thing, or improve how the sabers look, and other rather topical things.
    But I don't want him constantly tinkering and tinkering and tinkering with these movies. I mean, his last touches on these OT movies should have been when the DVD set came out... but no, they put that green saber in Luke's hand, when it should have been blue.
    It's bad enough that he made Greedo shoot first. The only think I could hope for is that GL restores the old scene with Han just taking Greedo out.

2. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Star wars was great because of the story and characters.

Those people who say that they want the OT covered in CG vomit are totally missing the point. The PT looks like a cartoon and is quickly outdated. The OOT has heart and soul.

And don't start blaming the OT because Lucas changes his mind, contradicts himself and tells lies. The PT should have been made to match the OT not the other way around. I think some of you need to try to see beyond special effects.

3. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CJEDI72:
    I have said this again and again, that the PT has killed Episode IV, because it has totally tainted the experience when you watch it as the fourth episode now. There is a thread 'Is a ANH meh'. Alot of fans see it as slow, a lame lightsaber duel, outdated effects, and no Yoda and Palpatine, no Imperial March, and there is one man to blame for this: George Lucas. When you watch Episode III, and then go right into Episode IV, it is like a culture shock, it is so different in every step of the way.

The original SW was meant to be watched first, because it is so different than the other 2 made after 1983, and now the other 5 made after 2005, because it was a standalone movie, there was no Skywalker family drama yet, cause it wasn't created, and there was no Yoda cause he wasn't created yet either. I'm glad I am not tainted, cause to me it is still the best of the six, but I fear because it has already started to taint people, that the next generation is really gonna think Episode IV is meh, and it is ironic that it is the one true classic SW movie that Lucas directed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Lucas has already updated ANH badly.:(

5. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004

No offence, but your 'friends' sound like they have the combined attention span of a flea.

Tell 'em to stick with The Matrix, seeing as excessive CGI is clearly the only thing that impresses them in a movie, rather than well-written characters and storyline, 2 things that Episodes 4 and 5 have in ABUNDANCE.

6. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999

LOL! [face_laugh]

7. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Then again, there are also people who are absorbed by the story instead of fixed on FX, and they feel that ANH is a natural continuation of the narrative. They don't think ANH is meh... but as one first time viewer so eloquently put it: "ANH is sober".

8. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999

Hmmm. The problem is that it ISN'T a natural continuation. There are too many inconcistencies and continuity errors thrown up by the PT.

9. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    ...and most of them are things that a hardcore fan notices, NOT a newbee on their first viewing. And those inconsistencies are gonna be present in any viewing order. What's more, I think they're more noticable if you watch OT-PT.

10. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    So a first-time viewer going from ROTS to ANH isn't going to bat an eyelid when Obi-Wan tells Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber, and that Owen disapproved of Anakin joining Obi-Wan on an idealistic crusade? Because of Lucas's sloppy approach to writing the PT, we now have to shrug these lines off as lies told by Obi-Wan to get Luke involved in the cause.

But surely some "newbie" viewers would question the lack of continuity here?:confused:

11. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005
    So a first-time viewer going from ROTS to ANH isn't going to bat an eyelid when Obi-Wan tells Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber, and that Owen disapproved of Anakin joining Obi-Wan on an idealistic crusade? Because of Lucas's sloppy approach to writing the PT, we now have to shrug these lines off as lies told by Obi-Wan to get Luke involved in the cause.

But surely some "newbie" viewers would question the lack of continuity here?:confused:[/quote]

I can't wait til they watch ROTJ for the first time, and after the conversation with Luke & Leia about their 'real' mom, they start to wonder if that was the right babies they witnessed being born from Episode III. The first question will be, "How does Leia remember her mom?"

Then again, in 1983 when I first saw ROTJ, I always thought it was weird they used the same name of Skywalker for Luke, being the same as Anakins. But atleast back then, if there were ever a prequel trilogy, it would explain that stupid decision......maybe not.

12. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Sure, but apperently not all of them.

13. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Regardless of which way you choose to show the saga to your Newbie, you will probably mention that 4,5,6 were made beginning 28 years ago therefore the special effects were less spectacular than in the newer films. (I would not base your decision soley on the quality of the special effects, and am sure your Newbie accomodate for the advancement in technology over time.)

That being said, you must decide if you want to show the film based on which story you want the viewer to see.

Perhaps you could, without spoiling, ask your Newbie how they would like to see the films. [face_idea]

14. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    That's what I've been thinking of too, some sort of test to determine which order works best for the individual newbie.

15. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005
    My whole thing about viewing the saga now is a quality issue. I think Episode I & II are average at best movies, now of course it is my opinion, but I feel you may lose the viewer by Episode III. Heck my 7 year old nephew figured out the real story starts with Episode III when he watched them all a couple of weeks ago.

Again, it is about quality, and no matter what the bashers say about ROTS, including myself, I noticed that ROTS is well liked among newbies, but I still worry about TPM & AOTC, I don't think they'll pass the test of time, and we want newbies to start with what many consider the two worst? Again, my nephew enjoys the saga 3-6, he definitely likes ROTS more than me, but still enjoys the OT because he thinks they're great movies.

Whether its work in order 1-6, I don't care anymore, cause it is more about that. I know most people who watched the Godfather Trilogy, including myself, after it was released in the movies, and everyone I know came to the conclusion that Godfather 3 is bad. I personally don't even recognize it as a trilogy, but as Godfather I & II as my saga. Again, it is what people see as great movies in 10-20 years from now is going to be the reason they are still playing them on their DVD players, not cause they saw it 1-6.

16. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    That's cool, I'm sure this thread will do fine without you...

17. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Are we basically talking about the viewing order of the Saga?

18. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

Hey Plo Koen, Thanks for taking my words out of context, hence I didn't say it in the 'Watching the saga in order' thread, then you could have answered me that way, and you would be right.

My whole point was that I have a problem meshing the two trilogies together which is Episode III going into Episode IV, when I feel the two worst movies of the saga are the first two, and that is why I said, I could care less about the watching the saga 1-6 anymore, it is a bigger issue now, being Episode IV is starting to stick out like a sore thumb, and that is all because of the prequels. Alot of newer fans, and some older, really have a problem with the original SW, and that is smack dab in the middle of the saga.

So please Plo Koen, stop chiming in on your editorials on who should be in a thread or not, cause you are not a mod. Just stick to giving your opinion like everyone else. Thanks.

19. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    No, but things derail pretty fast in that direction when there's no (clear) thread to talk about that.

o_O

This is about the visual flow of 3 into 4, an interesting and specific subdivision of "Watching SW in sequence"

I'm sure most people will notice the 70's look of ANH, and I don't think that will be any different if they start with ANH, but the contrast certainly becomes more evident. I guess it depends on the viewer how they take this. Some won't like it, others won't mind. Some people have suggested that it actually adds something to the narrative, that the more sober FX of the OT emphasise the "dark times" in the story.

20. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Seriously, read the first post again, and tell me how this has ANYTHING to do with it? How does this help the poster? I really get tired of you projecting your personal bitterness into every single thread you venture into, relevant or not.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be on your skin so much if I didn't like you. I guess I admire your honesty and determination. You're not a mean-spirited basher.

21. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cjedi72:
    The reason I am passionate is because the newcomers are missing out on a truly great movie, because as I have said a million times, they are watching it in the wrong context.

I want every SW fan to experience the original SW like I did, as their first SW movie, not after Episode III. Nothing to compare lightsabers fights, effects, Yoda, the Emperor, just watch it as a standalone movie, and if you love it, there are 5 other movies that may do just the same for you. If I came on and just said, watch 4,5,6 and F&*K the PT, then it would just be an editorial, but I am just talking about the original SW, not ESB & ROTJ, they were made as Vader, the father of Luke.

I feel bad for people who are watching the original SW as #4 in the series, cause they are missing out on a truly great experience, forget about what everyone says about ESB, I love that movie to death, but the original SW as just a standalone movie, is like nothing else.

Just think about it now, a whole generation of new SW fans are watching a movie about Anakin Skywalker, and his tragedy, that didn't exist yet or wasn't written in the movie yet, how the hell are they suppose to love it, if it isn't there?

22. Jedi_872

Jedi_872 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005
    I saw ANH after ROTS, and I thought it flowed well enough. Granted I'm not into the special effects that much (the thing that I really love about SW is the story), but I didn't mind the contrast. The two may not work viewed back to back, but if you let some time pass in between, which it seems to me many people want to do anyway, the stories blend together very well.

You don't see that story because that's the way you experienced it. If you watch ANH lokking for and expecting a story about Anakin/Vader, you can see it and everything fits.

23. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005
  24. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    For the first time?

25. Jedi_872

Jedi_872 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005
    Yeah.

Thread Status: