main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph For Justice, For Peace, For the Future- We Have Come Home: Babylon 5 (The Road Home animated film)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2006.

1. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Babylon 5 is my favorite TV show ever! I recently rewatched the first 4 seasons and the TV movies, can't wait to watch season 5 again.

Sleep in light, Mr. Katsulas.

I still miss Richard Biggs, I had quite a crush on Dr. Franklin when the show first aired.

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Scott, you are wise to not post here until through season 5.

Season 5 is not as bad as some people make it out to be- though one's enjoyment of the first half of Season 5 depends largely on what one's opinion of the Byron characters ends up being.

Season isn't bad, neither is season one, but they are the weaker two session. To be honest, I found Crusades highly forgettable. I've been tempted to write some B5 fan-fic, toss everything out after season 5 and write seasons six and seven and then a mini-series to wrap it up. Would be fun, would also be a lot of work.

3. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Anyone know if JMS is planning any new projects?

You know, I think he should make one last movie which has Earth being cured of the plague at last minute, just for the fans!

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    He left a lot of unfinished business - telepathy wars, plague cure, Drahk wars... *sigh*

5. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Actually, he didn't leave it unfinished, TNT cancelled Crusade thereby the Drakh Plague story was incomplete and the Telepath War was to be dealt with in a feature film that never came to pass.

The people with the power have to often wanted to control JMS with regards to B5 and he refuses to see his vision altered for some execs' desires.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    At least JMS allowed a good deal of the untouched storylines (besides the Teep War & Crusade stuff) to be told in the novels. The three Centauri books in particular really tie up a lot fo stuff.

7. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I need to work on buying the books. I heard the Techno-mages, Centauri, and Psi-Corps trilogies were some of the best ones.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'd check out the comic series "The Book of Lost Souls" if you like JMS. It just started in October or November so catching up is really easy.

It's also one of the best comic book series' that I've read.

9. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Where would we find it?

10. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Most comic shops would have it. I'm pretty sure you can buy it from Marvel, too.

11. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    His first major comic projects included the Rising Stars, and they can be found in trade paperback collections at most comic book stores. The stories were very insightful, and incredibly conceived. His run on Amazing Spiderman brought me back to that title and what he did to further develop a character that I thought had become tired was great.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Midnight Nation is my favorite of his comic works- beautiful story.

13. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Recently managed to obtain the third season boxset, making my collection complete. Funny enough, Season 3 is by far my favorite of the five seasons. This is where everything that's been prepared in season 1(introduction) and 2(prologue) comes together perfectly. The Shadow War I had expected to see coming. B5 actually moving away from Earth, I did not.

Also, I found out that I had mistakenly missed "Ceremonies of Dark And Light", immediately moving on to "Sic Transit Vir" after the whole B5-rebellion episode. No wonder that the follow-up episode was so jarring and felt slightly off after the previous emotional high. In hindsight, it's also a pity that I missed Ceremonies the first time around, as it finally explained for me where the black clothing came from and hinted at things to come for the rest of the storyarc

So now I've begun to rewatch the series, currently halfway through the first season. Even though some things feel a bit off when I compare it with the later seasons('oi, everyone really needed to get together at this point, I suppose), I still think it's a pretty good start. I like how each story is self-contained at this point, allowing us to get to know the characters, yet there are hints of a storyarc this early, be it subtle or not.

Also, props go out to "Believers". I think that the episode that made me realise that Babylon 5 isn't your average sci-fi show, and got me hooked.

Watching Londo Mollari and knowing his final fate is quite *gulp*-inducing. If I would need to point out a good example of a flawed, tragic character, it would have to be him. Compare his early shots of him having fun at the bar in Season 1 to his final shots in the throne room on Centauri.

Just curious, anyone in here who followed the show from season one all the way to season five? What was the sort of discussions and speculation you could expect online? What was predictable and what was a total surprise for everyone?

And finally, how long was the wait between Season 5's "Movements of Fire and Shadow" and "The Fall of Centauri Prime"? 'cause if there ever was a reason why I'm glad that I waited this long to watch the show, that would've been it.

14. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    And finally, how long was the wait between Season 5's "Movements of Fire and Shadow" and "The Fall of Centauri Prime"? 'cause if there ever was a reason why I'm glad that I waited this long to watch the show, that would've been it.

I watched them all in one go, too but I think it was a four or five month wait.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Movements of Fire and Shadow 6/17/1998

The Fall of Centauri Prime 10/28/1998

OUCH!

Am I ever glad I caught it during the Sci-fi widescreen reruns.

16. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I believe that he's got a lot going on with the Masters of Science Fiction televsion series that ABC will be airing.

Also, started rewatching Season 1, hopefully the rest of the series this summer, something I intended on doing LAST summer.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Which, I should point out, is funny because that's exactly how the series ended. As the Lady Ladira had foretold, if not exactly in the dire circumstances to which you were expecting... ;)

I believe even the shuttle was the same version/model, but the explosion was updated SFX.

And I, too, miss Glen's influence on Coaxial from back in the day. He was a mensch and I felt badly that, since I was the one who recommended him to get the new TV he got, that it sucked for him. :(

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It was a very sad way to end the series - especially when JMS hit that last switch.

19. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Aye. I recall when I saw the shuttle leaving when I watched the final episode for the last time, I couldn't help but think that the circle was complete and everything was properly taken care off. Closing off with B5 slowly exploding is a great way to end the whole thing.

Random musings from me again... obligatory spoiler warnings

I've begun rewatching the entire series again, just finished up the second season today. To see how some things are foreshadowed is nice, although there are also quite a few things that I don't really like in hindsight. Sinclair's sudden dissapearance, while properly taking care off in season 3, is still just that. Sudden. They built up a whole lot of stuff around him in season 1, bringing up his sudden memory loss time and time again, only to have it explained at the start of the second season in a quick session.

Granted, I've read about why it was done, I sympathise with heer Straczynski, and as mentioned, I do think that they properly closed off the Sinclair arc in Season 3, as well as his little cameo appearance in season 2. Nonetheless, watching season 1, and knowing that Sinclair won't play as big a part in the series is kinda off-putting.

The same problem is kinda there with Talia Winters. I didn't really much care for the character and the whole psi-cops as a whole(aside from Koenig, he rocks). Apparantly, the storyline of the original second-in-command was transferred to her at the start of the first season. However, after all the build-up that's with her and Jason, it overall seemed like they had enough of her and tried to get rid of her as easy as possible in Divided Loyalties. With Jason unlocking some potential power in her and the telepath in the Underground saying that she is "the future", again, seems kinda off. To build up a character, only to get rid of her near the end of the season without anything afterwards(I was actually looking forward to seeing her as a recurring villain) felt kinda off.

Perhaps I now understand the Anakin Solo fans a bit...

Moving on, as mentioned before, I do like the foreshadowing and definately appreciate how much planning was put into this and how it came out. As always, I'm amazed how Mollari changes from comic relief to a conflicted character to an actual villain to someone tried to redeem himself to a victim. Most of all, it's great to see Morden again 'in his prime'. I liked and feared the character from the start. That calm and friendly attitude of his was just unnerving, and he played a lovely evil character. Unfortunately, I found his character to kinda go off-track at Season 4, where it seemed as if he mostly stayed around to validate one of Vir's comments to him.

On the other hand, his first scene is chilling...

Guard: So what have you been doing?
    Morden: Oh, out on the Rim for awhile, scavenging old ruins.
    Guard: Seen anything interesting?
    Morden: *pause, then grins* Yes. *moves on*

Knowing how it'll all play out and seeing that mention so early in season 1... Chilling, I say. Chilling.

Anyways, Season 1 and Season 2 are over. I'd like to do a short summary of me thoughts on each episode later on, most likely when I have too much time on me hands. I'm looking forward to watching season 3, my favorite of the bunch I think. Everything that was built up in season 2 comes forward here. That, and it has the best intros of them all.

(but 'oi, what's up with Zack's short hair in the introduction? I kept on wondering when that bloke was going to show up for half the season, until I realised who he was)

20. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    He's actually only writing one script for MoSF. However, he was to be more involved but he has hinted that he has another project coming to fruition. We'll have to see if it does.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a heads up, Volume 8 of the B5 Scripts is available now. JMS also had this tidbit about his upcoming projects:

There may also be some interesting announcements coming soon on the
    film/tv front. Whether or not I will be able to talk about them by
    Heroes Con, I don't know, but if not, certainly by San Diego (by which
    time a lot of it will have been announced in the trades anyway). No
    fair guessing, because trust me, most of this is stuff that can't be
    guessed.

22. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    JMS has announced in an interview that he's developing a series with Touchstone.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Keep an eye on the Hollywood trades for the coming week. (It could
    slop over into the following week, but I doubt it.)

One of the biggest things to happen to my career is about to happen.

Wow, wonder what it could be?

24. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm REALLY excited!

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Reading through the B5 Scripts Vol 3, and came across this one story they were throwing around about posisbily doing in Season 2 of B5 was a story where G'kar becomes ill and ends up in a dream where he's an Earth force officer (so, Andreas sans the makeup), with a russian second in command, Dylan (Mira without the makeup) and a security officer named Len (Peter without the makeup). He tries to convince people it is a dream and no one believes- including the ambassadors- Minbari Sheridinn, Narn S'san, and Centauri Garbaldo.

Would have loved to have seen that. I will never forget the name Garbaldo. [face_laugh]

V-2 likes this.