Amph For Justice, For Peace, For the Future- We Have Come Home: Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest, Jan 3, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    From JMS:

Just a quick hello direct from the set of Babylon 5: The Lost Tales.
    It's 4:51 p.m. and we just finished lunch (crew call at 10 a.m. lunch
    at 4). Bruce Boxleitner just completed a series of shots in a
    Starfury, his first time back in the saddle. We're ahead of schedule
    and might actually wrap filming a day early. (It always goes faster if
    you don't actually put film in the camera.) We've introduced a new
    Centauri character -- Prince Regent Vintari, third from the throne -- a
    new ISN reporter played by Teryl Rothery, a priest played by Alan
    Scarfe, and a character who may have come too close to certain dark
    forces played by Bruce Ramsey. Part One of "Voices in the Dark"
    wrapped on Friday, and we should have part two done tomorrow, after a
    long sequence shooting in the hallway of a new Minbari Presidential
    Cruiser built for the Interstellar Alliance.

Dr. Fraiser on B5! :D
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    JMS: December 1, 2006: As I write this, we have finished principal photography on "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales," coming in under budget and finishing a full day ahead of schedule.

This first DVD, entitled "Voices in the Dark," covers the same 72 hour period of time as Sheridan travels on board a Presidential Cruiser en route to Babylon 5 from Minbar for a celebration marking the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Interstellar Alliance. One part of the story follows Sheridan as he picks up an unexpected visitor on the edge of Centauri space, Prince Regent Dius Vintari, and a warning about what will come afterward delivered by the techno-mage, Galen. The other part of the story is set aboard Babylon 5, as Colonel Lochley summons a priest from Earth space to deal with a problem that may have dark supernatural overtones. The two parts of the greater story intersect at certain key plot and thematic points, so that they overlap and complement each other while telling separate, but simultaneous, stories.

The first DVD is going to require nearly 200 EFX shots, taking us all over Alliance space, and Babylon 5, which is being redesigned using the latest CGI technology. The same CGI is being used to create virtual sets a la Sin City, but on an even more detailed basis, in many cases integrating them with practical sets based on the original blueprint designs for Babylon 5.

A number of behind-the-scenes pieces were shot for inclusion on the DVD, as well as a number of original short pieces that will be filmed in February which feature glimpses into the future of Babylon 5 and her characters.

We have set-up a temporary webpage of photos from the shoot from my personal collection. These images mark the very first photos to emerge from production. [http://babylon5scripts.com/TLT-JMS-photos.html]

For more information, keep an eye on www.babylon5.com as well as Babylon5scripts.com. WB will be integrating the internet as a key component for promoting B5:TLT and we are pleased to be a part of that effort.

Colonel Lochley? :D

And, going by the 10th anniversary reference, I guess this means both Lochley and Galen survived Crusade (unless the third Techno-mage novel already revealed this, not sure how far that one goes into the timeline).
  3. ObiWanCon Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope its better then Legend of the Rangers I watched half if it and was almost physically SICK it was that BAD.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    LOTR was rushed, yeah. Though I think it you ignore the annoying overuse of the Ranger mantra, it's actually a half-decent story- but certainly below average for B5.

Still, I would have loved to have seen where the series would have went, since it was supposed to broaden out to be about the Ranger fleet and the early years of the ISA (not to mention act as a backdoor resolution/continuation of Crusade). And I'd really love to know if The Hand are in fact the Thirdspace aliens, since there's quite a few details that makes it a rather interesting possibility.
  5. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Baylon 5 Seasons 1 and 2 are now up on iTunes.
  6. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    Legend of the rangers wasn't that bad. Let's be honest, B5 was an amazing show, but i t had some sucky episodes during year 1. Most showws do. Rangers was a very average tv pilot.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    JMS will be showing some video blogs from TLT tommorow at NY comic-con. I'll be there, looking forward to it (and I can finally get my Crusade and Movie boxsets signed to complete the set ;) ).
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    My NYCC JMS report:

Non-B5 projects:
    -The Changeling will be shooting in June, though he still wasn't allowed to announce the big star and director for it yet.
    -Universal is having him adapt the book "World War Z".
    -The ASM "One More Day" arc will have some flashes or connections to the future events glimpsed at in "Happy Birthday" (and it was pointed out how the uniforms in those scenes seem similar to the capehunters in Civil War).
    -His Thor run starts in may or June I believe. He mentioned that Asgard appears in the middle of Oklahoma, with flat deseter-Asgard-flat desert, and how a guy drives his pickup truck to the gates of Asgard where he proceeds to tell Thor that they can't put Asgard on this land because he owns the property. Thor then proceeds to have Asgard rise 10 feet off the ground.
    -He also remarked that he always found it odd that a Norse god spoke in old english, which suggested he's taking a different approach.
    -Sam Raimi's company is looking to do Rising Stars as a miniseries or series, they just want to let Heroes do it's thing first so they don't seem like they're copying them.

B5: Tthe Lost Tales News:
    -JMS reitterated that TLT came about after WB asked him if he wanted to do a theatrical B5 film, but JMS declined since enough time hasn't pasted since the death of Andreas Katsulas and Richard Biggs, and it's still hard for him to think about a B5 movie so long as Andreas and Richard "insist on staying dead", but that he'll be able to sit down and get a theatrical film made eventually, but can do these smaller stories in TLT in the interim.
    -The Lost Tales Vol 1 is two stories set in the same 48 hour period- one with Sheridan going from Minbar to B5 for an event regarding the 10th anniversary of the Alliance, which the other is about Lochley on the station waiting and preparing for Sheridan to arrive, while dealing with the trouble that arises there.
    -He showed 6-8 video blogs from TLT set (rough versions, at least, as some are stil awaiting the FX shots to be finishd so they can do comparisons), though it being Joe, most is him goofing off, but you get a look at some of the sets as they're being built, and there's a talk with Bruce, Tracy and Peter (Peter's hilarious, saying something to the effect of "and, for Bruce and Tracy and others, working with them, it's real chance for them to finally get it right!" [face_laugh] ). Another was of the actor playing Prince Regent Vintari, showing both some of his screentest and of an actual scene with him and Sheridan (Vintari: "Emperor Mollari said he would trust you with his life- then he took it back and said he would trust you with MY life, as he had plans for next week.")- he basicly talked about the screentest and how, despite never watching B5 beforehand, nailed the Centauri accent without knowing. And though it's not said directly in the movie itself, JMS confirmed that Vintari is Cartagia's son.
    -It'll probably be another year/year and a half before TLT Volume 2 comes out, depending on sales. He also said that we might finally see more of the Telepath War in future installments
    -They'll have a trailer to show at the San Diego Comic-Con.
    -Release date for TLT is July 27th, i believe.

As a final treat, JMS showed rough cuts of the opening title sequence for The Lost Tales, including new music by Christpher Franke. It goes like this:
    -Begins with the decommisioning of Babylon 5, with the ships moving away from the station as it explodes while the Sleeping in Light theme plays (he subsequently showed a cut lacking the music but containing an almost-finished version of this sequence- it looks gorgeous) and a chunk of B5 flies right into the camera.
    -We start following debris of B5 through space as a date at the bottom of the screen clocks back from 2281 to 2271 until the debris reforms back into Babylon 5 and the camera goes into the main dcking bay doors ala the end of the Season 3 title sequence. Over the course of this sequence, as a tribute to Andreas, plays the following G'Kar lines:

"I believe that when we leave a pla
  9. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    Nice, thanks for the update quest.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    AICN posted some pics from the intro:

[image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/b5logo.jpg] [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/b5ships.jpg]
  11. Apollo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Did he mention anything along the lines of a B5 game that has long been rumored?

Awesome SitRep Quest on TLC! Can't wait for July :D
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    No mention of the game, then again, no one asked about it. Maybe at the SDCC?
  13. Rebel_Spook Force Ghost

star 4
    The B5 game wasn't just a rumor, it was in the process of production when Vivendi bought Sierra several years ago and cancelled the game and fired the development team. After a period of the development team trying to purchase the work from Vivendi and nothing coming of it, the whole thing just died.

For more information on this, go over to http://www.firstones.com. Check under the Historical Links.

14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Actually, Apollo might be referring to the B5 game that was hinted at by JMS at last year's SDCC, which is speculated to be a MMORPG or RPG of some sort.

The other tidbit dealt with the question will there be a B5 computer game soon? Jms said he could not talk about it now, but that in two weeks expect something big to be announced. He hinted that if you ever wanted to live in the B5 universe, you might get your chance.

Obviosuly nothing was annoucned within two weeks of that report so who knows what happened.
  15. Rebel_Spook Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, I never heard of that. I guess it went back-burner before anything could move on it.
  16. Aunna_Lauren Jedi Knight

star 3

AAAAGHHHH!!!! Noooooo!!!!:_|
    I'm such a purist, still cheesed Lucas tinkered with the originals.......

I've been replacing all my cruddy vcr taped copies with nice boxed sets......

ohhhh so slowly.....

Between B5, LOTR, and SW I'm =P~
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Actually, I'd kill for an Enhanced B5 release like they're doing with the original Trek series- bring the CGI up to date, have it blend with the live action better, digitally fix the cropping issues with CGI-composited scenes, and, most of all, do some HD restoration work on the actual filmstock since the DVD releases are quite grainy or videoy at times.

And, heck, maybe go nuts and do small fixes like keeping the Zarg in shadow like JMS intended it to be,providing original camera footage for the post-Clark ISN report instead of reusing the exact shots from the battle, or digitally mapping the black Crusade uniforms to the grey uniform episodes (except for the episode that introduces the unform switch) so that Crusade could be shown in a proper episode order without uniforms jumping back and forth ::)
  18. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 8
    Maybe go back to the Gathering and fix Delenn's and the other Minbari makeup so that it matches with the rest of the series.

Seriously it's jarring to watch all the other stuff and then go back to The Gathering and see how Deleen looked in that pilot. All the rest are not nearly as shocking.
  19. Aunna_Lauren Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well that I agree with!
    You're right about the prosthetics looking too different, not just Delenn, but G'Kar as well!
    [image=http://www.scifi-info.nu/babylon5/worlds/bilder/narn/gkar_03.jpg]
    He looked like the devil from Tom Cruise's Legend....
    [image=http://humberthumbert.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/legend.jpg]
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    G'Kar's wasn't as glaringly different- though his features, like his chin, were abit more pronoucned and chistled. Delenn was just really ugly since they were going with the androngonous approahc for her at first.
  21. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    There is another possible political angle to this: Late in 2267 or early in 2268, Matthew Gideon and his crew discover that EarthForce is involved in covert and possibly illegal experiments involving Shadow technology. By 2268, an apparent cure to the Drakh plague would have been found, but Gideon would have evidence that it wasn't what it seemed. When no one believed him, he would have stolen Excalibur and gone renegade in an attempt to uncover the truth and avert a disaster.

There are numerous clues in the surviving thirteen Crusade episodes to suggest that both John Sheridan through the IA, and Elizabeth Lochley would have provided at least some covert support to Gideon and Excalibur. The 2272 date suggests the Crusade story has just ended or is about to end, so Lochley may still be somewhat in the doghouse with EarthGov, depending on how much anybody knows about her involvement with Gideon. (There was also a suggestion of a romance developing between the two captains, so there's another loose end.)

It's even possible that her change of rank is connected with all this. Maybe she found it politic to transfer from the "navy" part of the service to the Marine or Army part, while still retaining her command of the station, very similar to Major Krantz in "Babylon Squared" and "War Without End."

BTW, it's no wonder that a lot of people on Earth aren't crazy about John Sheridan:

• 2261 - Sheridan leads the rebel forces in the Civil War. He ousts the tyrannical Clark, but he kills an awful lot of EarthForce personnel in the process. He also imposes Martian independence as a condition of admission to the new Interstellar Alliance, something Earth had been resisting for decades, and which the native Mars resistance movement had never been able to win. (And Earth can hardly afford to reject IA membership, given the technological benefits that come with it, and the disadvantage this would put them at, vis-à-vis the other races.)

• 2264/65 - The Interstellar Alliance intervenes in the Telepath War, tipping the balance against the Psi Corps -- and killing an unknown number of EarthGov combatants.

• 2266 - The Drakh attack Earth to avenge the Shadows' defeat by Sheridan and Delenn. Although Sheridan is successful in stopping the Shadow planet-killer from destroying Earth outright, Earth is seeded with a plague that will certainly kill tens of thousands, perhaps millions, even if it can be cured. If it can't, all life on Earth will be killed.

• 2268-72 - Sheridan supports Matthew Gideon, who is officially an outlaw wanted by the Earth Alliance. By treaty, the IA should cooperate in apprehending him, and extradite him if he is captured. Again, it isn't clear how much anybody knows about this, but the mere fact that Gideon can continue to operate and ellude authorities suggests that he's getting help from somebody.

...Something to mull over while we're waiting for the new project, at any rate.
  22. Rebel_Spook Force Ghost

star 4
    Where is all that coming from? When do we see any evidence of Gideon and the Excalibur crew becoming renegades? EarthGov finding it's own "cure" for the Drakh plague?
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It's from what we know about what would have happened in Crusade's second season and beyond, which first starts being set up in the unfilmed episodes of Season 1 (and vaguely hinted at in the existing episodes).
  24. Rebel_Spook Force Ghost

star 4
    I know that there are 3 unproduced scripts that are out there, but where do we get any specifics as to what would have happened in the second season?
  25. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    JMS said that the cure found in S2 would turn out not to be quite what everyone thought it was, as Excalibur's crew would discover. No one would listen to them, which would then lead to their turning renegade.

It's very likely that Lochley would have grown in importance in subsequent seasons, but that it would be precisely her position as commander of Babylon 5 that would make her useful to the story. Once Excalibur went rogue, they'd need a mole in EarthForce to keep them one step ahead of their pursuers. They'd also need someone to act as their contact with the Interstellar Alliance. You can't do much better than John Sheridan's ex-wife for that role. Lochley would be ideally placed to help Gideon, and she'd be forced to confront her own version of Sheridan's rebellion.

During Clark's dictatorship, Lochley never had to violate her EarthForce oath, because she was never given a blantantly illegal order, or forced to fire on unarmed civilians. She didn't know, as the B5 command staff did, that Santiago was assassinated, and that Clark was behind it. But she does know about Earth's dubious flirtation with Shadow technology, and she trusts Gideon. So when Earth declares him an outlaw, she'd have to commit to one side or the other.

Also, Excalibur couldn't have docked at B5 without instantly being seized, but I'm willing to be Gideon and others could have come aboard on shuttles, and used the place for meetings and to pick up supplies.

We know the plague comes originally from the Shadows. We know that a similar plague was created by a Technomage using nanotech, and that the Drakh plague seems to use some of the same techniques. We also know that both EarthGov and the Technomages have some knowledge of Shadow-based nanotech. Finally we know (from the Technomage novels) that all Shadowtech has the quality of predisposing the user towards chaos. If the "cure" is an application of Shadow-derived nanotech, there is a good chance that it will retain this quality -- creating almost as many problems as the original plague would have done.

And since there would be unimaginable ethical and political pressure to use any cure as soon as it was discovered, it's entirely plausible that EarthGov would ignore Gideon's warnings, and use the cure. The argument against using it would come from a maverick captain who had at least tried to reveal top-secret information, and a Technomage who was inherently suspect.

It is interesting to note that B5 really got the Shadow arc rolling only in S2. Prior to that, much of the emphasis had been on Sinclair's missing 24 hours and the Minbari surrender, although the mysterious Shadow ships and the notion of an ancient enemy were introduced starting around mid-season. The original outline for B5 had called for these threads to be resolved by the fourth of fifth episode of S2, with the Shadow War then dominating until early S4.

Similarly, Crusade S1 would have been about finding a cure for the Drakh plague, although the Shadowtech thread would also have been introduced, having been set up in Jeanne Cavelos's novel trilogy. Early in S2, the plague story would have been ended, and the new thread begun. (The plague story was never sustainable over five years, anyway. We all knew the plague was cured.)