main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends For My Father (vignette, Ben and Luke) posted 6/21/2009

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Title: For My Father

Summary: Ben gives Luke a touching gift on Father’s Day.

Disclaimer: George Lucas created Star Wars. Star Wars, LucasFilm Ltd. and all its content are currently owned and operated by the Walt Disney Company.

Ben stepped into the brilliant sunlight and squinted against its harsh rays. The heat was almost unbearable and if not for his Jedi skills, he feared he might bake to death in it. Shaking his head, he walked towards the tech dome and the lift that led down to the garage.

Once he stepped into the garage, he could hear his father tinkering around with a few tools.

“Need some help?” he asked when he got closer.

Luke looked up from his work and smiled at his now twenty-year-old son. The bright Tatooine suns had lightened his red hair a bit and he now had a light brown tan to his skin.

“I’m almost finished, but thanks for the offer,” Luke finally replied.

Ben sat down at the workbench and fiddled with an old, broken hydrospanner. “You kept this old thing.”

Luke looked up and smiled when he saw the tool. “Yeah. It brings back a good memory.”

Ben laughed softly. “Not for me.”

“Well, you were seven,” Luke said. “That’s a bit young to try using a hydrospanner. We told you not to try hanging that holo on your wall by yourself.”

“It was anything but funny when I lost my grip and it landed on my head,” he commented. “You were trying so hard not to laugh at the expression on my face and Mom…Mom was trying not to laugh at both of us.”

“Yeah,” Luke managed, his chest tightening. “Your mother had a lot of good laughs at my expense over the years.”

Ben placed the hydrospanner back on the bench and stood. “Listen, when you’re done out here, I made supper.”

Luke’s eyes widened. “You cooked?”

Ben nodded. “Yeah, it’s Father’s Day. At least, it’s Father’s Day on Coruscant. I don’t know that it’s celebrated here on Tatooine, but…anyway, I cooked. It’s ready when you are.”

“Go on in, I’ll just be another minute or two.”

“Okay,” he agreed. “I’ll set the table.”

He left, feeling Luke’s eyes follow his every move. He could sense his father’s curiosity as well. He allowed himself a small smile as he took the lift back up from the garage.

Ben felt his father approaching and he quickly placed his Father’s Day gift on the table where Luke could see it when he entered the homestead. Then he stood and waited.

The moment Luke stepped into the kitchen, his breath caught in his throat and his eyes watered. There, sitting on the table as the centerpiece was a framed holo of Mara. She was seated in a chair in their old apartment on Coruscant and was smiling brightly at the holocamera. The love in her eyes seemed jump right off the holo.

“Where did you find that holograph?” Luke finally asked, his heart still thundering in his chest.

Ben cleared his throat. “I was looking through some of the old albums and I found it. She…she looks so happy in that holo that I…there were others but I knew you took this one. That’s why she was smiling like that; like everything in her world made sense to her in that moment.”

Luke reached out and first he touched the intricate carvings on the wood frame. “Did you carve these designs?”

Ben swallowed through his own emotions. “Yeah, with that old energy cutter that Uncle Han gave you.”

Luke nodded. “It’s beautiful work. I didn’t know you were so good at wood-carving.”

Ben shrugged. “Neither did I. It turned out better than I expected.”

Luke didn’t answer. He was staring at the holo of his wife. Her smile had lit every dark corner of his life when she’d come into it, and her death had brought utter darkness. Ben was his only saving grace. He filled the void as best as a son could.

Their eyes met when he finally looked up.

“It’s been so long since…you don’t have any holos of her here at all and most of her things are packed away,” Ben began. “I just…I wanted to give her back to you, somehow. I thought maybe a holo would be a good idea, and the idea of using it as a centerpiece on the table was Jaina’s suggestion.”

The tears that had welled up in his eyes finally fell. “Thank you, son.”

Ben embraced his father. “I just wanted to do something nice for my father.”

They held the embrace for several long moments before breaking apart and sitting down to eat; Mara with them in her own way.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  2. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

TheSwordJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2008
    So beautiful and touching [face_love]. Wonderful job. I loved it. =D=

3. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    That was so poignant and sweet!![face_love] Sad, but very beautiful at the same time. @};- Lovely, wonderful job!! [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Just stunning work, both Ben and Luke were in perfect form, very well done! =D=

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh jen! wow! Very sweet. Very loving. Thank you for sharing. =D=

[:D]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful and sweet. [face_love] =D=

7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Very sweet!

How's the new series? I'm hesitant to buy them if they're not good, stupid, or going to make want to march to the Del Rey building and demand to see those in charge of this project.

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    TheSwordJainaSoloFel So beautiful and touching. Wonderful job. I loved it.

Thank you. :)

dancing_star That was so poignant and sweet!!

Thanks. [face_dancing] Glad you liked it.

Aiel Just stunning work, both Ben and Luke were in perfect form, very well done!

Glad I got Ben and Luke right. :) Thanks for reading.

Jade_eyes Oh jen! wow! Very sweet. Very loving. Thank you for sharing.

I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Thanks. :)

VaderLVR64 Beautiful and sweet.

Thanks so much. [face_blush]

Lady_Misty Very sweet!

Thank you.

How's the new series? I'm hesitant to buy them if they're not good, stupid, or going to make want to march to the Del Rey building and demand to see those in charge of this project.

I haven't actually read any of it yet. [face_blush] So much of the EU frustrates me. It's usually a long time before I decide whether or not to read them.

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    That was lovely! A beautiful, quiet moment for Luke and Ben. [face_love]

10. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Strong and very beautiful little story! I really liked how you portrayed Luke and Ben's relationship here! The detail about Ben knowing it was Luke who'd taken the holo ran so true and brought tears to my eyes! Wonderful job!
    =D= =D= =D= @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.