main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate for profit schools

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Aug 15, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/educati...lleges-students-face-uncertain-future-n178231

Now I didn't attend one of these schools. I went to a local community college for my automotive degree. Ironically a guy I used to work with went to Wyotech. He had 30k for student loans and I had none. I paid for school with the money I had saved up. Plus I worked full time. My bill was only four grand for two years.

I never liked those schools because their excuse for convenience was way to much. And the job placement was horrible. Wyotech gave guys big bills and without real experience they got very little pay. The pay I got in college equaled theirs after the student loan bills. And mine went up significantly after getting out of school.

The problem I see with for profit schools are they do not provide real job placements and internships. If you go to school, you should be working while going to school. If you don't you lose out on good jobs for at least a few years.

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I definitely think giving federal student loans to attend for profit schools is problematic, because that just encourages schools to try to extract as much money from the federal government via the student. There's also little incentive for student retention.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    anecdotal reason why i dont trust for-profit colleges: ive known two administrative employees of university of phoenix (what with living here in phoenix) and one of grand canyon university (a christian university that adopted a for profit model after financial troubles in 2004). all three eventually quit because they were so disgusted with the institutional policies vis a vis recruitment, billing, etc. i cant think of another industry where everyone ive become acquainted with from that industry has quit for ethical reasons. pretty damning, in my mind

i currently know a pair of GCU nursing students -- i advised them to hold off when they decided to matriculate. i hope it works out well for them, but the administrator stories as well as the stories of former gcu students ive known have not made me optimistic

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Don't have an issue with them. They've been great for me.

harpua and J-Rod like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anecdotal here as well: I interviewed for a position at a for-profit college. I was asked, "What would you do if you overheard a student in the library talking badly about [name of college]?"

Mmmkay. I went to public universities and we trashed certain aspects of those universities all the time, sometimes on campus. What was the "correct" answer to this question--defend the school, tell the student to be quiet or GTFO, report the student? Even more importantly, why does my potential response matter enough to ask me about it in an interview?

I found that line of questioning creepy. That may not be reflective of for-profit colleges in general but I was not impressed with that one.

I also agree with OZK that federal loans should not be used for for-profits.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They're disgusting and should be abolished. That effect would mostly be achieved if the Federal government cut off financial aid

Rogue_Ten and Obi-Zahn Kenobi like this.
  7. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Most of the same factors that encourage for-profits to "extract as much money from the federal government via the student" also apply to public schools and non-profits.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One solution there would be to go back to allowing student loan debt to be discharged in bankruptcy.

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    I agree, but non-profit schools have a much better track record in terms of student outcomes. It also reduces profiteering because the school itself does not profit (whereas some individuals do profit from schools being more flush with cash).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Out of curiosity...do you remember how you answered this odd employment question?

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, there's a good reason that's not an option.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Something along the lines of directing the student to the appropriate department to resolve the issue.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  13. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

Great answer to their very poor question.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    For profit graduates are just as qualified to flip burgers as non profit.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why would I go to work when at college when there is beer to drink?

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

heyoooo

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry, I can't get over how stupid it is to call a university a "school". Anyway...

I never understood why you don't subsidise education in the US and fix student loan rates at CPI. You want an educated population for the downstream economic and social benefits; but I forgot. You have Republicans and their pal Jesus was all about not handing anything out.

Katana_Geldar and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I had a friend that worked for a Corinthian campus for a few years as a recruiter. She was paid a very nice salary (enough for her to afford a brand new car and a brand new two-story house), but she did often say that she was always under a lot of pressure to meet ridiculous quotas. She was apparently one of the best recruiters and always surpassed her peers in the number of students she could recruit each quarter so so. But this started backfiring for her, as her managers would then expect her to outdo her own numbers each quarter.

I have a relative that also used to work for DeVry in the same position. Same situation: pressure to meet quotas.

EDIT:

I attended both types of schools. My instructors also taught at both types of schools with the same text books, etc, etc.

I found the educational experience to be rather similar between the two types. Each had some horrible instructors, and each had some very remarkable instructors. Job placement wasn't anything special, but I found my instructors more useful in helping me find opportunities than the Career department.

19. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I agree, I can't understand why making services that are seen as essential such as education and healthcare for profit is ever a good idea.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well for profit doesn't have to be a bad thing. Except in the US apparently.

21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Food and housing are done for profit - they're both more essential than healthcare and education.

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    my sister recently received $35k from the australian government to spend on some ****ty business school that is offering some ****ty 6 month course (which is probably worth about $5k at a local TAFE) but which included as an incentive... a free, all expenses paid trip to LA for a "business seminar". plus a free ipad and stuff. she just did it for the free trip, and will never pay it back. nice waste of tax payers money right there - good work australian government!

23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Food and housing are products, not services like health care and education.