main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga For Such a Time as This (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, others - very AU) - Author's Note 6/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Elyia - Yes, it was hard for both of them and Qui-Gon did lose someone special. Obi-Wan doesn't necessarily like politics here either, but this seems to be where the Force has led.

obi-ew - Yes, to both. Glad the idea is interesting. :)

Jedikma - Qui-Gon did his best. You will get to see a little more about the Order soon.

TrinityDay - Yes, not something you imagine him doing. And probably still not where he thought he'd end up in this AU.

ithesock - I still love the phrase "quivering with possibilities" Yes, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are on good terms. And yes, there is much going on.

maychorian - Yes, Qui became his guardian. I hope to add more glimpses into the past as this moves along. Of course this makes me wonder what other senators have managed to make their way into this AU. :)

LuvEwan - I am glad you are enjoying this; I am having fun writing it. The flashback was gutting. I really enjoyed the imagery and emotion you described, as well as the relationship that was forged between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Thanks. I wanted to relate that they have been through a lot together.

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The flashback was sad, but well done. The current relationship between them is great. I can;t wait for more.

3. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    This is an amazing idea. One of the more interesting ones I've ever read and you've managed to write the first two chapters beautifully. I'll be following this one eagerly.

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Am still loving this. It's such a unique idea and it's just gotten deeper. I loved the flashback - the way you use it to tell us that love was allowed, families were important and both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon lost people that they loved.

And then Obi-Wan to be a Senator. A fine balance between doing what is right and trying to hide his background. Oh, lots of great possibilities.

Keep going!

5. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thank god for original ideas, Noi! This is just brimming with 'what ifs' and can go just anywhere. I like that you're letting out details slowly - why let us have it all at once? :p Love it so far - can't wait for more!

6. SapphireBloom

SapphireBloom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2005
    Wow this is great! I've really enjoyed it so far.

The thought of Obi-Wan becoming a senator sounds like it could be very interesting. Can't wait to read more! =D=

7. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    First of all, I want to extend an invitation for any lurkers out there to let me know you are out there. I didn't set out cookies or anything, but I have a lovely new post to tempt you out. :)

Kitara - The flashback was sad I know. Sorry to have to do that to you, but their past is an important part of their relationship.

Indra - I'm glad everyone is enjoying the idea. I think I am going to like AU.

diane - I loved the flashback - the way you use it to tell us that love was allowed, families were important and both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon lost people that they loved. You will find out in time that families are very important to the Order.

A fine balance between doing what is right and trying to hide his background. Yes, he has a task ahead of him.

Shaindl - This is just brimming with 'what ifs' and can go just anywhere. It is fun to have a wide open playing ground. I like that you're letting out details slowly - why let us have it all at once? It's hard. I've always had the tendency to just want to rush along with the other WIPs I've had and am really trying to challenge myself to develop this more.

SapphireBloom - He has such a dislike of Senators, but I figured the Force would put him where he could serve.

Chapter 3

?What do you think, Obi-Wan??

The seventeen year old hid any disappointment he might have felt as he walked through the empty apartment. ?There?s not much room.?

?You will have your own bedroom, and I?ll have mine. It is sufficient.?

?That?s not what I meant,? Obi-Wan said softly. He wandered to the third room of the apartment. It had at one time been two bedrooms and the previous owners had knocked a wall out to create a large master bedroom. Obi-Wan began to swiftly walk through the opening steps of a kata, obviously wary of the walls. It in some ways reminded Qui-Gon of the way he had seen animals pace in captivity.

?I know. It?s not our home on Aksu, but we will have to make do. It?s affordable and this location is very good.?

Obi-Wan walked to the window. The main university building was clearly visible. Qui-Gon had been offered a position as the head of the history department and Obi-Wan would start his studies there next semester.

Qui-Gon walked up beside him and rested a hand on the boy?s shoulder. ?Obi-Wan, I know this move is an adjustment for us both. There aren?t as many Jedi the further from Aksu we get and it will mainly be the two of us. But, we are needed here. The Force said it was time.

The boy nodded and stood in silence for a few moments before turning to his mentor and smiling. ?I think we are going to need really thick coverings for this window ? unless we want the neighbors to talk.?

?Indeed,? Qui-Gon said, reaching out to ruffle the youth?s hair. ?Let?s start bringing stuff in.?

On occasion, the two Jedi had taken advantage of abandoned warehouses on Coruscant?s lower levels for more involved sparring practice where Obi-Wan could enjoy the freedom to exercise his more acrobatic side, but most lessons were confined to the practice room. It was more than large enough for katas, but only had enough room for the most controlled of sparring, as evidenced by the multiple scorch marks on the walls.

The first light of morning was now brightening the sky, unseen and unnoticed through the heavy curtains shielding the practice room from prying eyes.

A gleaming blue blade cut through the air, glowing in the dimness of the room, a mere extension of its wielder. His eyes were closed as he saw his surroundings through the Force. It was his music. If he sensed his mentor in the background, he made no acknowledgement. Only the familiar melody guided his steps.

The kata was difficult, beyond what he should be capable of at his age, but he stepped through the movements was grace and ease. Qui-Gon knew the ease was an illusion. The young man?s sweat-drenched torso and flushed skin betrayed his

8. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh ?Well, I will be watching with great interest then,? the older man said. There was a falseness to the smile he shared with the senator. His tones were calm and even, and his watchful eye lingered even after Obi-Wan had disappeared down the corridor.

Now how come that gave me chills? ;) Excellent work!! So Adi ain't a Jedi, eh? [face_laugh] She's a politician!! Oh loved it! :D

Poor Obi... intro to the delegations of politics. :D I'm really enjoying your OC Kitab! :D

9. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Ooooh. *rubs hands together* Now Palpatine's in the mix. I like. :D

Your imagery in this chapter was so striking. I loved the flashback. Great job. =D=

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Cookies! Treats! Yummy Yummy Post!

11. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    ?Well, I will be watching with great interest then,?

:eek: Very TPM

I was so excited to see that you had started another fic!

Lori

12. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh, nicely done. I liked the flashback...and about how the Jedi carry on their training secretly.

So...enter Palpatine, eh? And he's going to keep an eye on 'He-Who-Matters'. Very intriguing. Love it!

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved the flashback. The backstory is just as intriguing as what is going on now. Fleshs out the characters even more. Great job with the Senate and Obi-Wan meeting Senator Gallia - I wonder if she's a secret Jedi? Do the Jedi know each other or just the ones closest to them (like cells in a secret society)?

Enter Palpatine. Of course, he would be there, slimy worm.

Great job with this. Do not rush it. It makes it all the sweeter to read.

14. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! This story gets more and more involved. And now we have Palpatine interested in Obi-Wan's career. Uh huh. :D

I assume Adi is also a Jedi and that Obi-Wan just doesn't know her?

Great post! I can't wait for the next one. :)

15. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Diane beat me to the suspicion that Adi is a Jedi and that Obi just doesn't know it. Loved the parallel with canon. The world you're slowly building is wonderful, so detailed and well described. I'm really enjoying this so far. :)

And AUs are really, really fun. :D

Shaindl

16. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    He will be watching Obi-Wan with great interest? Reminds me a little too much of Anakin. Like others have said, it's great to see all those little parallels to the films.

This gets more interesting with every post. I love all the political stuff you brought in there. Wonderful story! :)

17. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Uh oh. I think Palpatine has his sights on a new apprentice.

I love this fic. [:D]

More soon? :D

18. Siri-Wan-Kenobi

Siri-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Hello Noi! Sorry I am only now commenting, but I wanted to pop in and say how much I already love this AU! Sooooo many possiblities, there is no telling where you will go with this. The forshadowing with Obi's dream is very chilling! I can't wait to see what you will do with this! *Straps self in for a long and bumpy ride*

19. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    WOW! What an AU! fantastic idea and fantastic start. So, I am guessing Adi is not a Jedi...earlier you indicate that Obi-Wan is the closest Jedi to the senate. Hmmm, I wonder is Yoda a Jedi? If he is, is he still alive? If he isn't is he still alive.

So the Jedi are a hidden order, going about with regular jobs and acting like regular people...

very original AU! I LOVE IT!

20. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Yay! I love Adi as a Senator! Kitab is fun too. Love how gleeful he is about all the debates and politicking. He's definitely made for this job.

Ooh, hints of darkness! I have a suspicion about what that mind was Obi-Wan felt brushing his.

So many questions! So long between posts! New one soon?

21. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Kynstar

Now how come that gave me chills? Gee, I wonder. [face_mischief] I'm glad you like Kitab.

LuvEwan

Oh, so you really like Palpatine in the mix, even though you know that means trouble. :p

Kitara

Yes, there is something yummy about Obi-Wan and katas. [face_batting]

lori71

Welcome! Well, ole Palpy has to keep his eyes on things.

ithesock

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the flashbacks since everyone seems to be enjoying them so much. :)

diane

I am enjoying the flashbacks. It's like writing two stories in some ways. I'm just hoping they don't get old. [face_worried] I thought of you in the flashback for the next post. More to come with Adi.

Jedikma

And now we have Palpatine interested in Obi-Wan's career. Oh, he's very interested in Obi-Wan's career. [face_mischief] I'll have to keep you guessing on Adi's role in all of this.

Shaindl

The world you're slowly building is wonderful, so detailed and well described. Thanks! I am hoping I can keep building. Wow, everyone is very interested in Adi.

Indra

I love all the political stuff you brought in there. Politics tends to be boring so I am trying to keep a balance of showing the political arena without getting bogged down in it.

Kadi

I think Palpatine has his sights on a new apprentice. You have 'uh oh' right, but I think Palapatine doesn't know what he thinks of Obi-Wan yet.

Siri-Wan

*Straps self in for a long and bumpy ride* Probably a good idea. 8-}

kateydidnt

WOW! What an AU! fantastic idea and fantastic start. So, I am guessing Adi is not a Jedi...earlier you indicate that Obi-Wan is the closest Jedi to the senate. Hmmm, I wonder is Yoda a Jedi? If he is, is he still alive? If he isn't is he still alive.

So many questions. I promise answers in time. [face_whistling]

maychorian

Love how gleeful he is about all the debates and politicking. He's definitely made for this job. Isn't he though? But a good guy over all.:D

Chapter 4

The calm breeze rolled along the gentle plains of Dantooine, causing long blades of soft lavender grass to sway back and forth. The sky was a crisp, vibrant blue and soft white clouds drifted lazily in its expanse. It was a beautiful spring day ? a perfect day.

Qui-Gon inhaled the air deeply, the scent of wildflowers teasing his senses. The living Force was vibrant, and it was his mission to drink in as much of it as he could before returning to the dismal urban landscape of Coruscant. He looked around at his companions, admiring their childlike ability to see things for the first time, every time.

He saw several of the girls sitting in a circle, nearly consumed by a lavender curtain. They were laughing as they made crowns and necklaces out of the small white blooms that dotted the prairie for as far as the eye could see. He smirked, noting they were oblivious to the two boys approaching with a small reptilian creature and mischievous intent.

A gust of stiff breeze blew his hair across his face and he heard the shrieks of the girls. He quickly pulled his hair away with his fingers in time to see the small creature disappear into the grass and flee. He laughed loudly as the chase began.

The other elders had looked at him with stunned disbelief and a small amount of pity when he had agreed to take the younglings on an outing, but the reality was there was just no where he would rather be. In fact, he decided, he would have to bring Kara back here later, just the two of them. He started searching for his own white blooms to make a childlike treasure for his wife.

?Master Qui-Gon?? The master turned to look for the source of the question, noting it was coming from beneath a blanket of grass. The figure sat up and shook the grass out of his reddish-brown locks before smiling.

?Yes, Obi-Wan.?

?You live on Coruscant.

22. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Ooh, a new chapter! Very cool history there, and a good way to get it across, also revealing Qui and Obi's early relationship. I'm not surprised at all that Obi-Wan was a bright and inquisitive kid. And Qui-Gon is the quintessential teacher.

Hehe, Palps is keeping his enemies close. Wily old politician. Worrisome that he's catching on to Obi-Wan though.

Poor Obi--it seems that he is plagued with dreams and visions, no matter where he is. I'm glad Qui-Gon was there to soothe it, and my heart warmed to learn that he had done so many times before. But soon they won't be together anymore? :( Poor Qui's gonna be lonely.

I look forward to this Jedi meeting! Sounds very intriguing. Keep it up! I love this story.

23. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    This is quite an interesting and original story, Master_Noi! I like the idea of both the Jedi and Sith in hiding and working undercover. Love the flashbacks too! I wonder if the Sith are following the rule of having only two at a time, or if they're building up like the Jedi? I like seeing a bit of the politics too, it would be interesting to see Obi-Wan become a senator:p considering his views in the movies.

Nice job! I look forward to reading more! :)

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    This is quite a unique story, Noi and you are doing a wonderful job telling it. Loved the flashback :D - I did appreciate the way the Jedi pulled back, hiding a bit and yet continuing their traditions. I also really loved that Obi-Wan recognized that he was being probed in the Senate. But my favorite part was with Qui-Gon's thoughts about Obi-Wan becoming a Knight and moving on. That was just so comfortable and warm.

Great job. Keep going!:)

25. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Oooh. More flash-backs. Gotta love them. :D. Especially the thought of Qui-Gon gathering flowers to make a wreath. And then Obi's having night-mares..? Oh, not good.

Loved the idea of darkness breaking over Obi - the image that inspires... :D

Moresoonmoresoonmoresoon...

EDIT: Oy! they've changed the formatting again?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.