main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga For Such a Time as This (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, others - very AU) - Author's Note 6/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Where's Yoda?

And will the Chosen One find his way into this fic? Or is it a different Chosen One this time?

This is an interesting AU. More please?

2. advocate1900

advocate1900 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    This is really, really interesting. I think its the first fic I've read that tells a story of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in quite this way--and I love it! Please update soon!

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oops, I don't know how I missed the update until now. Lovely piece of work. I felt the melancholy of the place where Obi-Wan lived, his memories of his family and his newer memories of Qui-Gon. An appropriate setup for explanations of what has been going on in his life. I really like this. Keep going!

4. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    What fun this really makes me think of what the charicters lives would be like if they were no jedi. Its really great idea and i cant wait for the next post so keep up the great work. =D=

5. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Obi_Kenobi_Devotee - Welcome. I am glad you are enjoying this. :)

Juliet316

Where's Yoda? And will the Chosen One find his way into this fic? Or is it a different Chosen One this time? [face_not_talking]More answers soon.

advocate1900

I think its the first fic I've read that tells a story of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in quite this way--and I love it! I am having a lot of fun with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's relationship in this.

dianethx

Oops, I don't know how I missed the update until now. You've had a lot going on and with the way Saga is moving, it's easy for things to slide right by. :)

An appropriate setup for explanations of what has been going on in his life. I really like this. Keep going! More insight into their lives today.

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

Thanks for reading. It is fun writing this and thinking of what would be different and what would be the same.

Sorry it took so long to get this post up. It has not cooperated at all. :p Thanks to Jedikma for looking this over and catching a whole bunch of typos. [face_blush]

Chapter 6

Obi-Wan crept carefully up the stairs. He had lost track of time out in the field and the others were already fast asleep. The stairs were old, but he managed to miss the squeaks and creaks, expertly navigating by each one even in the dark. After showering, he slipped back into his room in comfortable sleep pants. He pulled back the covers on his bed and paused, casting a stray glance at the communications panel in the corner. He knew he should resist the urge, get some rest before the trip ? he was supposed be on break, but the temptation was too great.

He walked over and activated his codes. Sure enough, there was a message waiting for him from Senator Kitab. It wasn?t a holo, just a generic text message, neutral in tone, informing him that there was a change in plans. The senator would be remaining on Coruscant and he should contact the offices there if he needed anything.

Obi-Wan glanced at the time and made a quick mental calculation of what time of day it would be on Coruscant. He quickly entered the codes to the senator?s office. A small holo of the senator sitting behind his desk appeared. The look on his face showed his was obviously not pleased.

?Why am I not surprised to hear from you? It?s the middle of the night there.?

?You shouldn?t have left me any messages if you didn?t want a call, Sir. And, I can call when it is the middle of the night there next time if you would prefer.?

?What can I do for you??

?I was just curious. I thought you would be halfway to Aksu by now, Senator.?

?So did I ? but Chancellor Vallorum had other plans. He called a special session for later today.?

?Do you know why??

?Based off of my discussions with Senator Palpatine, I believe it will concern the Trade Federation. There was an attack on another one of their ships in the free trade zones. No doubt, they will once again be requesting greater protection. I think the Senate might actually have to deal with the issue this time.?

?I can be on the first transport back to Coruscant in the morning??

?No, definitely not.? Senator Kitab interrupted, raising a hand as though holding Obi-Wan in place. ?I want you to continue with your plans. Senator Derih is here and we still have about half our staff in the offices.?

The two men stared their respective holographic images down for a minute before the senator nibbled at his bottom lip. ?If you could tell me where the summaries are from the last time this issue was evaded, that would be very helpful.? The senator had quickly begun to realize how much he relied on Obi-Wan throughout the morning.

Obi-Wan entered the necessary information into the terminal. ?I have a really bad feeling this. I should be there.?

?If I even hear rumor that you are back on Coruscant, I will revoke your security clea

6. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Such a quiet little scene - I assume just before everything blows up. :p I love how you gave a little more away on the structure of this Jedi Order and how they form families and deal with love. Your ideas on how this AU would work are so well-defined. It's great seeing an Order I recognise yet is so completely different. Great job - still one of my favourites. :)

Shaindl

7. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    I loved this chapter very, very much. [face_love] Absolutely wonderful. I like the way you deal with love and attachment and family in this hidden Order, and seeing Obi and Qui hold a baby was absolutely precious. Especially Qui. It's sad that he and Kara were never able to have children, but he obviously showers his love on every child he comes in contact with.

Obi's reflections on love and marriage were poignant and well-written, too. I could definitely see Obi reacting in that way. Yeah, politics is very brutal on marriage. But it could still happen? Interesting times ahead!

Keep going! I've been watching for this update since Monday. Glad it came!

8. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Is Anakin going to show up?

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awww! A baby! Yep babes make people ponder on things, don't they? Liked how Qui was a 'natural' with the lil girl! And the wisecrack to Obi about how he looked holding her! [face_laugh]

Uh oh! Trade Federation causing a ruckus again, eh?

10. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Why do I think Siri may pop up? [face_worried] :p

Very nice chapter. Even AU, the characters seem just like their canon counterparts.

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Very beautiful chapter, Noi. I quite enjoyed the way Qui-Gon handled the baby. Sweet and just a touch of foreboding running through the post. =D=

12. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Gotta run, so I only got to read the first two Chapters so far, but I will definately be catching up with the rest tonight. This is fantastic, Noi! I love the idea of an underground Jedi order.

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was all so quiet and relatively peaceful, the baby not even fussing. A perfect moment to think about things that have happened and things that are about to happen. Lovely thoughts. Of course, Obi-Wan is married to the Order but perhaps he should rethink it a bit. He seems so lonely there.

Good job with this. Keep up the good work.

14. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    I also enjoyed the part about Qui-Gon and the baby. :)

It makes a lot of sense that they would have to form family units to keep the Jedi going and hidden.

Great post, can't wait for more. :) (As always)

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    very sweet-
    I just love how this is developing, but starting to get rally suspicious that you are lulling us into a false sense of security.. than BAM

16. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I loved this chapter! I really liked learning a bit more about how this Order is structured. Ah, Obi-Wan is too dedicated to his work, and being a Jedi. He should look for some companionship, he just might find someone. Loved the reactions to the baby too! [face_love]

17. Errine23

Errine23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 18, 2005
    I really like this story.

I enjoyed the comments about how Obi looked holding the baby. :D He would make a wonderful father -- despite his thinking he is married to the order. Never say never!

18. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    I will have to do replies later today. I will have mutiny on my hands if I don't get dinner made soon. :p

Chapter 7

The crowd pressed in around him, heated bodies shoulder to shoulder. He stumbled to keep his footing as the mass of beings moved him along, each individual trying to push ahead to get a better look. At what, he didn?t know. Some cheered; some shouted insults and protests ? their opposing currents of exuberance and contempt surrounding him, echoed in the Force. But, Obi-Wan couldn?t hear what they were saying. Their voices were distorted as though he were submerged underwater trying to break free.

There was a bright burst of light that preceded a deep, bellowing rumble of thunder. He looked up searching for the storm clouds, but even as he saw the gray billows seeping into the air, he realized it couldn?t be thunder. It was too close. He heard screams and felt the coldness of death nearby, but couldn?t see what was happening as he was quickly swallowed by a mass of humanity like waves crashing on a shore as they rushed in a panicked flee, trampling him beneath.

Obi-Wan opened his eyes to the ceiling that hung close to his face, his breath coming in short, shuddering pants. He wanted to believe he was just having claustrophobic dreams from being sandwiched into the bunk area, but he sensed otherwise. He was glad his shields had stayed strong. Qui-Gon was already concerned enough as it was.

In the dead silence, he could clearly hear the slight humming and vibrations of the ship?s engines. This was soon punctuated by the loud, wailing cry of a baby. Again? They seemed to be on the same schedule for waking this evening. He heard a chuckle drift up from Qui-Gon?s bunk.

?Are you awake, Master??

?Yes,? came the amused, sleepy response. ?I should have anticipated the hazards of traveling with the never ending hunger of an infant. You were just as bad when you were a baby.?

?Are you sure I was this bad??

?You might have been worse. I seem to remember your parents walking around half-asleep for at least a couple of months. I believe you had days and nights mixed up because when I visited during the day you were sleeping as peacefully as could be.?

The wailing quieted and they were left once again in silence.

?Ah, the comfort only a full stomach and a mother can give,? Qui-Gon said. ?I guess we can get back to sleep now.?

?I?m glad we have Kara?s permission.?

She was probably just hungry, but Obi-Wan wondered. What did infants sense through the Force? Was she as unsettled as he was? He shook his head sensing that Qui-Gon had already drifted back to sleep.
    From space, Dantooine was a simple orb; a swirl of olives, blues, and browns. It was far removed from galactic space traffic and remained unspoiled by industrialization, consisting of vast untouched savannas. The native Dantari were few in number and only concerned about their simple lives in the coastal lands, making it a good place to hide something even as large as a Jedi training center.

There had been debate among the elders about the wisdom of placing another training center on the same planet Jedi Master Vodo Siosk-Baas had established one thousands of years before. It was agreed that any remaining Sith, in their arrogance, would assume that the memories of Exar Kun turning and the ancient center?s destruction by Darth Malak would be twin blows that would keep the Jedi away. For most the elders at the time, the chance to hold onto some piece of their history was worth the risk.

Upon disbanding the Order, the Senate had allowed the remaining Jedi to retain possession of an account containing generous private donations of credits and aurodium. It was meant for them to divide among themselves giving everyone enough to build new lives, but the Jedi were used to simple lives and able to make do with very little. After using a bare minimum to pay for passage to Aksu and make living arrangements, the remainder was invested wisely. The modern Order, in

19. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh wow that was intense! Liked the baby part! ;)

Hehehe Palps has a way with the Senate all right. [face_mischief]

Aww Gallia saved the Chancellor! :D Sweeeet!

Well this will make matters quite tense for sure!

Great chapter!

20. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Another story I need to read?!? Oh nooooooooooo! but... yessssss. Too much to comment on, since I just read all of it up to now at one gulp! But let me just put in a word for the Not Hormonally Crazed Obi-Wan. He never did strike me as a big romancer *dodges the vegetables* so it's nice to see him "married to the Order" and reluctant about love. You may even be able to get me cheering if he does find the right girl.

21. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay, getting to replies now. :)

Shaindl

I assume just before everything blows up.What would give you that idea? [face
    _tongue]

Your ideas on how this AU would work are so well-defined. It's great seeing an Order I recognise yet is so completely different. I am trying to develop it slowly enough to explain how this Order works, but not give a list-like description.

maychorian

Absolutely wonderful. I like the way you deal with love and attachment and family in this hidden Order, and seeing Obi and Qui hold a baby was absolutely precious. Especially Qui. It's sad that he and Kara were never able to have children, but he obviously showers his love on every child he comes in contact with.

I have to say I can't resist the idea of Jedi in loving families.

Obi's reflections on love and marriage were poignant and well-written, too. I could definitely see Obi reacting in that way.

I think that the no attachment rule could work in the usual, non-AU Order where there was opportunity to have companionship with other Jedi. I think Obi-Wan might find it lonlier on his own.

jacen200015

I wrote you by PM so all I will say here is wait and see. [face_not_talking]

Kynstar

Yep babes make people ponder on things, don't they? They sure do. ;) It's hard to know who is pondering more - Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan.

Trade Federation causing a ruckus again, eh? That Trade Federation, always making trouble. [face_laugh]

o_e

Why do I think Siri may pop up? If she does, just think about Xan.

Even AU, the characters seem just like their canon counterparts. Thanks! It's been a fun challenge to try to think of how they will respond to very different circumstances.

LuvEwan

Sweet and just a touch of foreboding running through the post. I actually do like a little mush, and who can't resist babies.

Opal - Glad you find the underground Order interesting.

dianethx

Obi-Wan is married to the Order but perhaps he should rethink it a bit. He seems so lonely there.

He may have much to think about. He doesn't have the entire Order there at a Temple for companionship so it might get a little lonely.

I had to write Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan with a baby. And yes, maybe I did make her a little too much of an angel, but night hasn't come yet.

Jedikma

It makes a lot of sense that they would have to form family units to keep the Jedi going and hidden.

It does make sense that many would marry to keep the Order from looking odd. Children are also necessary as the Order can't just go around recruiting Force-sensitive infants in this AU.

Kitara

I just love how this is developing, but starting to get rally suspicious that you are lulling us into a false sense of security.. than BAM

What do you think I am, some evil author? :p[face_devil]

Jedi_Tigris

Ah, Obi-Wan is too dedicated to his work, and being a Jedi. Some things haven't changed.

Errine23

Never say never![/b] Why do I feel like everyone is rooting for Obi-Wan with a baby? :p

22. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wonderful chapter. =D= I loved how Qui-Gon talked about when Obi-Wan was a baby. Very intriguing as always. :)

23. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Oooh, what an absorbing story - I just read it all at once, and I'm wanting more. The fact that the characters parallel their canon ones so well makes it fun to guess about where the story is going. And you have a lovely turn of phrase.

I also like how the Jedi have had to change their ways to survive, especially concerning families and attachments. The contrast between the Tallis family and Mace's family was a good one, and it was nice to see Qui-Gon had his own companion. I have been working on a vignette tha tincludes Obi-Wan's thoughts on how attachments could actually strengthen the Order, so your insights here are very helpful.

24. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    The plot thickens. [face_worried]

And I'm not screaming for Obi and a baby. I think him fine just the way he is. :)

25. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Wonderful chapter! =D= Yes! We have Master Yoda! Makes sense though-given his age I would guess he could have been taught by the same masters that went into hiding (or at least their first generation of students) he would be the best source of information without access to the Jedi archives. What is fascinating is that I think these Jedi are wiser than their counterparts in the universe we know, but because of the hidden nature of their order they are not necessarily able to do more, despite their greater wisdom.
    Oh, I can certainly tell you've read Cloak of Deception good book that.
    I love this story! Really fantastic AU!
    Go Adi! Now I really wonder, though, what she does and doesn't know about her own abilities. It would be highly amusing if she, on her own, developed her force sensitivity. Hmmmm [face_thinking] does anyone else sneak into the Jedi Archives?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.