main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga For Such a Time as This (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, others - very AU) - Author's Note 6/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Valairy_Scot - Unfortunately, Palpatine always seems to be a few steps ahead.

dianethx - Palpatine just seems like the perfect Sith. He's content to wait and be patient and plod along with little gains that ultimately give him his goal.

OBI-LOVE - Things are about to get really rough for Obi-Wan -- not that they have ever truly been that easy.

smoke20ts - I think it is Palpatine's patience and ability to set up a situation long in advance that makes him most dangerous.

obsessedwithSW - It does sadden me greatly what will happen to Kitab's name. I think it is something that will make this whole situation more difficult for Obi-Wan.

Gkilkenny - Palpatine just wouldn't be Palpatine if he weren't despicable.

Itachi-Uchiha - I love the dynamic between Xan and Dooku in this. Xan is very careful to keep his position with his master safe.

FVZA-Colonel - Shak did make an interesting argument, and I can't say that it was the part that Kitab necessarily had a problem with. I think Kitab was most put off with the idea of doing it behind the Senate's back. Then again, we all know how effectively this particular Senate moves. I think that Palpatine understood that as well.

Kivas - I think that the senators against the Military Creation Act pretty much knew that it was signing a declaration of war.

DountCooku - I think Xan knows that Dooku has the potential to very dangerous. I think that is why above everything, he intends to keep Dooku away from any prolonged direct contact with Sidious.

Ocelotl_Nesto - More on that next post.

bek - I think at some point, Palpatine will start setting off alarm bells. Not sure if we are quite there yet with Obi-Wan. I do, however, think he will be aware that he has been set up.

Healer_Leona - Evil Palpy is in some ways very fun to write. I think he is most eerie in cases like this where he is watching his handiwork play out and just giving it a little nudge from afar.

Jaira - Yes, he is despicable.

PadawanKitara - Geonosis is there, all right. Not so sure if the nature of it will play out the same.

VaderLVR - I think this is what unnerves Palpy most about Obi-Wan, maybe in both canon and this AU, he is so full of the light. Just that makes him a big threat to the Sith.

Independence1776 - Oh yes, things are going to snowball here.

Spiritweaver - I think that's what the Jedi in this universe don't understand yet. They know the Sith are there and have a plan, but the Sith are far more entrenched than they realize.

LOBO - I am sure even in the canon universe, there were many little manipulations that occurred to get Palpatine to the point he was at. He knew how to work the system.

EGKenobi - Thanks.

LadyLunas - I think the main advantage the Jedi have in this situation is that the Sith have no clue how many of them there are and how well prepared they are for war. We will have to wait and see how this Palpatine plans to use his army.

AngryWarrior - Thanks for bumping this up a couple of times.

2. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    So sorry this has taken so long to update. DRL has just been overwhelming lately, but I am finally finding time to write. Thanks for hanging in there.

Chapter 68

Padme stifled another giggle as the lift carried them up toward their destination. It could have been her imagination, but it seemed as though Anakin?s ears had a slight tinge of red. He turned and looked at her with pitiful, pleading eyes and an irresistible jut of his bottom lip. She squeezed his hand.

?You aren?t the first person to ever receive a warning from a patrol droid for excessive speed,? she said before the giggle she had fought so hard to contain finally burst free.

?Garen and Byram will never let this one go ? and when my master hears about it ?? Anakin groaned.

?At least it was just a warning,? she said.

The lift stopped, and they stepped out into the corridor. Padme had to admit that it was nice to be leaving the Senate district and the stress of galactic politics for a little while to have dinner in the home of a retired professor. Qui-Gon had seemed to know just what everyone needed when he extended the invitation.

As the door to the small apartment opened, a hint of what awaited teased their senses. An exquisite aroma billowed out into the corridor. Anakin seemed to not notice, still looking very guilty as the door closed behind them. Padme could feel another giggle welling up inside. Anakin looked utterly betrayed when it bubbled out right as Qui-Gon stepped out of the kitchen.

?What?s so funny?? the Jedi master asked.

?Go ahead and tell him,? Anakin sulked.

?Anakin received a warning for excessive speed.?

?Imagine that,? Qui-Gon replied dryly.

?I got us here safely.? A lopsided, cocky grin tugged at Anakin?s lips as he offered his defense. ?And, at least I beat the traffic.?

?Please try to remember that I am the one who must face Master Yoda if you get yourself killed,? Qui-Gon chided gently. ?There was no need to rush. Dinner isn?t quite ready.?

?Good.? Anakin looked down at the attire that identified him as one of Padme?s guards. ?I?d kind of like to get out of this uniform.?

As Anakin disappeared down the hallway, Padme followed Qui-Gon back to the kitchen. ?Do you need any help? Contrary to what rumors may circulate, the former queen of Naboo does know her way around a kitchen.?

?No, no,? Qui-Gon protested, shooing her to a nearby chair. ?I have everything under control. You sit and rest and keep me company.?

Padme settled down at the small table, glancing around the room. Anakin had been staying with Qui-Gon since coming to Coruscant ? at least, when he wasn?t at Padme?s apartment. But it was her first time to visit the home Obi-Wan had grown up in and spoke of so warmly. She could see why.

?I was expecting Obi-Wan, Byram, and Garen as well.?

Qui-Gon had turned back toward his cooking so she couldn?t judge his expression, but the concern in his voice was evident. Both Obi-Wan and Byram had been working absurdly long hours as of late, perhaps avoiding returning to empty homes while their families were away. It was a main reason Qui-Gon had planned for a small dinner.

?Obi-Wan had a meeting with the Chancellor earlier today. He said not to wait up on him. He just needed a little more time. Garen and Byram stayed with him. They will be along later.?

?I hope so,? Qui-Gon murmured.

Padme sneaked a peek back down the hallway, wondering what was keeping Anakin. She turned back only to find that she had been caught. Qui-Gon was studying her, leaving her heart pounding hard in her chest. She and Anakin had not been as careful since their arrival on the Senate landing pad ? a few hugs here, brushing hands against each other, Anakin placing his arm around her. Obi-Wan and Byram and Garen knew how the couple felt about each other, but what might have only been a suspicion among the elders likely had to be certainty by now.

?So, have you and Anakin started thinking about a wedding date yet??

Qui-Gon turned back to cooking, which was for

3. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    HMM

the approval of Anakins relationship seems to bode well for him in this AU, but the clone army and future Senate hearings will definitely get Obi kicked out of the Senate. Perhaps it will land him in a general's chair.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Padme stifled another giggle as the lift carried them up toward their destination. It could have been her imagination, but it seemed as though Anakin?s ears had a slight tinge of red. He turned and looked at her with pitiful, pleading eyes and an irresistible jut of his bottom lip. She squeezed his hand.

?You aren?t the first person to ever receive a warning from a patrol droid for excessive speed,? she said before the giggle she had fought so hard to contain finally burst free.

?Garen and Byram will never let this one go ? and when my master hears about it ?? Anakin groaned.

?At least it was just a warning,? she said.

The lift stopped, and they stepped out into the corridor. Padme had to admit that it was nice to be leaving the Senate district and the stress of galactic politics for a little while to have dinner in the home of a retired professor. Qui-Gon had seemed to know just what everyone needed when he extended the invitation.

As the door to the small apartment opened, a hint of what awaited teased their senses. An exquisite aroma billowed out into the corridor. Anakin seemed to not notice, still looking very guilty as the door closed behind them. Padme could feel another giggle welling up inside. Anakin looked utterly betrayed when it bubbled out right as Qui-Gon stepped out of the kitchen.

?I got us here safely.? A lopsided, cocky grin tugged at Anakin?s lips as he offered his defense. ?And, at least I beat the traffic.?

?Please try to remember that I am the one who must face Master Yoda if you get yourself killed,? Qui-Gon chided gently. ?There was no need to rush. Dinner isn?t quite ready.?

Aw, what a nice and perfectly normal "family" embarrassment scene. I absolutely loved that - too bad it got spoiled by a vision.

Hmmm, what dirt is going to hit Obi-Wan? Veeeeeery interesting.

5. smoke20ts

smoke20ts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005

[face_laugh] Padme sure seemed to find it funny that Anakin got warned for speeding and Qui-Gon didn't seem surprised at all. I guess Anakin still has a little bit of a lead foot.

The gentle prairies that Obi-Wan had known since childhood were not to be seen, swallowed up in churning winds and a growing, dense black fog. The darkness had descended. The storm was upon them. Obi-Wan could feel the wind tearing at his cloak. Dust and debris and frayed blades of torn lavender grass pelted his face. He resisted the urge to close his eyes, knowing that what he was about to see was too important. He was drawn to a sound he heard in the distance ? the echoes of thousands of footfalls as one by one, a horde of white emerged from the shroud of fog and began to march on the building. Everywhere they touched, the darkness spread.

Obi-Wan?s hand went to his side. In unison, three blades split the darkness. The sound echoed far behind him. He turned to find the training center no longer there, replaced by a sea of ignited sabers ? an army of light.

?The storm comes.?

Wow! What a powerful and disturbing vision. It certainly looks as if things are going to get much more dangerous for the Jedi.

Well done! =D=

6. OBI-LOVE

OBI-LOVE Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2007
    Very chilling post. Things definitely don't look good for poor Obi-Wan.[face_worried]

7. baru-chan

baru-chan Jedi Master

Apr 4, 2003
    I just found this AU and read it all in one sitting. I couldn't stay away -- the events of this story had me sitting on the edge of my seat, and when the latest post ended, well...let's just say that I just about screamed in frustration, and leave it at that. ;)

May I be added to the PM list? I don't want to miss an update to this amazing fanfic!

8. DountCooku

DountCooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2006
    Yay for updates! I really like the dynamic between Anakin and Padme. It's nice that they don't have to keep their feelings totally hidden (not like they were that good at it anyway ;)). It's also good that the Jedi are getting a little bit of advanced warning about the clone army this time around.

9. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Obi-Wan didn?t remember ever seeing the sky over Dantooine so dark. Even on nights, moons and stars shone through brightly. He was standing outside the training center next to a large blba tree at the entrance, one that had been his nemesis as a child. He wasn?t alone. On his right stood Yoda. On his left stood Anakin, the Force?s Chosen One. The young man was ablaze in glory, luminous.

?The storm comes,? came Yoda?s monotone voice.

I loved your vision- so gripping! The deviation from the Kenobi-Skywalker duo to the three will be very exciting! IT will be interesting to see their place in events and what kind of relationship Obi-Wan and Anakin will have in the climax of this story.

I liked that Padme and Anakin's love story is still geeky some things shouldnt change from cannon!

10. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    He was drawn to a sound he heard in the distance ? the echoes of thousands of footfalls as one by one, a horde of white emerged from the shroud of fog and began to march on the building. Everywhere they touched, the darkness spread.

Obi-Wan?s hand went to his side. In unison, three blades split the darkness. The sound echoed far behind him. He turned to find the training center no longer there, replaced by a sea of ignited sabers ? an army of light.

One of my favorite passages in this chapter. Stunning in its apparent simplicity and utter depths. Lovely.

I also loved the banter between Anakin, Padme, and Qui-Gon. I know I've said this before, and I'll probably say it again, but I love the fact that Jedi are able to have families. It just really draws out the honest emotions of people who care deeply for each other.

Poor Obi-Wan! Palpatine's utterly loving this.

11. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Take as much time as you need!

?You aren?t the first person to ever receive a warning from a patrol droid for excessive speed,? she said before the giggle she had fought so hard to contain finally burst free. [face_laugh]

?It seems as though you both have given this much thought.? Unlike in canon...

?He?s okay,? Qui-Gon assured her. ?It?s a vision. I hope Obi-Wan isn?t alone,? he murmured.
    ?Why not??
    ?Chances are he is seeing something as well.?
    I love this passage. It shows how well they know each other, and how much they care for each other.

The gentle prairies that Obi-Wan had known since childhood were not to be seen, swallowed up in churning winds and a growing, dense black fog. The darkness had descended. The storm was upon them. Obi-Wan could feel the wind tearing at his cloak. Dust and debris and frayed blades of torn lavender grass pelted his face. He resisted the urge to close his eyes, knowing that what he was about to see was too important. He was drawn to a sound he heard in the distance ? the echoes of thousands of footfalls as one by one, a horde of white emerged from the shroud of fog and began to march on the building. Everywhere they touched, the darkness spread. I love the imagery. Knowing canon, this sent chills up my spine.

Obi-Wan?s hand went to his side. In unison, three blades split the darkness. The sound echoed far behind him. He turned to find the training center no longer there, replaced by a sea of ignited sabers ? an army of light. This is the best line of the chapter. They're ready to fight, and the Sith truly have no idea of what will come. They may think they do, but they don't.

?I was called into Palpatine?s office today,? Obi-Wan explained. ?I was to investigate some accounting errors from when Senator Kitab was still serving. Senator Kitab and Senator Shak used their authority to divert funds and contracted a clone army.? Uh-oh. Why do I have a feeling a certain Sith was behind it, using them so he wouldn't be caught?

"Whatever happened in the past, an army of the Republic now exists," Obi-Wan said softly. ?I spent most of the evening speaking with the Prime Minister of a planet named Kamino. It?s real. They showed me training grounds via holo. There were rows upon rows of troops ? all dressed in white armor.? And so it begins...

?I was Olin Kitab?s aide and protégé. I assure you, I will at the very least be investigated.?[/quote] Obi-Wan is in serious trouble. This will not be good for the Jedi- or the galaxy.

Wonderfully chilling update! =D=

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I love that they approve of Padme's and Anakin's relationship and that they are willing to wait for the right time.

I loved that ANakin and Obi-Wan shared a vision and that Obi understood what it meant. Shows that experience helps a lot in those kind of situations.

Loved that Obi told Padme to distance herself. Slef-sacrificing as always but he may be right!

?You have to distance yourself from me politically,? Obi-Wan said abruptly, directing his attention to Padme.

?Distance myself? Why?? she asked.

?I?ve been set up ? we all have.? Obi-Wan sunk down to the floor and rested his head back against the wall. ?The debate in Senate ? it?s a charade ? it doesn?t matter ??

Great job. Sorry I haven't been keeping up but RL isn't kind at the moment.

13. L0B0

L0B0 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2008
    I'm glad to see that this story is still being updated, it is one of my favorites - please include me for future update PM.

Obi-Wan didn?t remember ever seeing the sky over Dantooine so dark. Even on nights, moons and stars shone through brightly. He was standing outside the training center next to a large blba tree at the entrance, one that had been his nemesis as a child. He wasn?t alone. On his right stood Yoda. On his left stood Anakin, the Force?s Chosen One. The young man was ablaze in glory, luminous.

?The storm comes,? came Yoda?s monotone voice.

The gentle prairies that Obi-Wan had known since childhood were not to be seen, swallowed up in churning winds and a growing, dense black fog. The darkness had descended. The storm was upon them. Obi-Wan could feel the wind tearing at his cloak. Dust and debris and frayed blades of torn lavender grass pelted his face. He resisted the urge to close his eyes, knowing that what he was about to see was too important. He was drawn to a sound he heard in the distance ? the echoes of thousands of footfalls as one by one, a horde of white emerged from the shroud of fog and began to march on the building. Everywhere they touched, the darkness spread.

?The storm comes.?

That was a very well-written & powerful passage.

It is also good to see that the Jedi - especially Anakin - are all cooperating so well and thinking through the next course of action.

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Another wonderful post!

Loved it. [face_laugh] =D=

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Hah, I figured it wasn't a first time. :p

So sweet to know that Padme and Anakin have approval of those close, but what type of future might it be??

Well, they always say the first thing in avoiding a trap is to know it's there. [face_good_luck]

16. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    wow, loved it.

17. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Excellent post,=D=

they better be careful[face_worried]

18. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    First a UCLA win tonight and now this amazing post- I just love how you are bringing it all together!!!

19. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Events are really starting to explode in this fic. I'm worried about Obi-Wan and hope Palps isn't able to do too much damage. [face_worried]

20. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    It's good that Anakin has Obi-Wan to help him understand the visions they both seem to share.

But I think Padme may make things difficult if she refuses to keep her distance, professionally, from Obi-Wan. [face_worried]

21. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I've spent quite a few hours over this last three days reading this. I've really enjoyed it :D and I look forward to reading more.

I think that the way you set up the Jedi in this story makes it much more likely that Anakin will avoid the fate he had in the canon universe-- having his mother close while he learned the ways of the Jedi, not having to sneak around about his feelings for Padme.

Now if only those Sith will cooperate and leave the Jedi and the Galaxy in peace

Great Job!

jcs

22. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    I agree with everyone and ugh how could have I missed an update. Looking forward to the next one.

23. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Okay, I love how Obi-wan and Anakin are so connected that they share visions. Whether that is because of their relationship or their places in the Force, it is just plain cool.

Great update. :D

24. tallzman

tallzman Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2006
    Awsome AU. Cant wait for the next update. Hope it comes soon!

25. AngryWarrior

AngryWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.