main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga For Such a Time as This (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, others - very AU) - Author's Note 6/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Somehow I'm thinking the inquisition didn't go quite as planned.o_O So good to see an update today!

2. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Bad feelings were his department I agree wholeheartedly!

With a mischievous smile, she leaned in close and whispered, ?If you thought last night was a dream, then I have to wonder what type of dreams you?ve been having while I was gone.? [face_laugh]

?I know I am not. Bail has found himself in the position of heading up this inquiry and says that there are those who are sympathetic along with him. Adi is on the panel as well. Mace will be there for ?legal advice?, and even I think Anakin and Padme plan to be in the observation area.? Obi-Wan caught her hand as she started to protest again and brought it to his lips. ?It is going to be chaos at the Senate. I am not ready for the media to know you?re here. Please.? At least he has backup of a sort.

Something, perhaps it was only mothering instinct, told her that Bren?an?s safety might one day rely on her. Somehow, I think it just might be a nebulous warning from the Force.

Past other windowless buildings and some that leaned dangerously to the side, smoke billowed from the Senate Rotunda. Part of the dome had caved in on one side, the side that Siri realized housed the Senate arena. Siri scrambled for her comlink, only to find static. And here I originally thought the bomb was directed specifically at them. This is much worse.

This was a wonderful post- started off slow and ended with a bang. =D=

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Very nice.[face_dancing]
    Obi-Wans embarrassment was fun to read.[face_blush] Even in canon, I think he embarrassed easily.o_O
    The end was unexpected. A bomb in the senate building.:eek:

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It was worth the wait, but to end in a sort-of-cliffie... just cruel!

5. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Siri stood to leave, catching sight of the scene outside her window for the first time. ?Force, no,? she mumbled.

Past other windowless buildings and some that leaned dangerously to the side, smoke billowed from the Senate Rotunda. Part of the dome had caved in on one side, the side that Siri realized housed the Senate arena. Siri scrambled for her comlink, only to find static.

I loved this post!
    Starting with an intimate look into the long married Siri and Obi-Wan's matured relationship, then the practice scene finishing with the explosion - all parts hwere developed fully with plenty of subtle emotional nuances that I found them very flavorful. I really like how well tied and the familial strengths in this Jedi order. It feels so right.

6. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    This post was definitely worth the wait. I enjoyed the entire post from look into Obi and Siris marriage to a pretty 'explosive' ending. It seems like the plot just keeps on thickening and leaving me at the edge wanting more.

Loved it, UP!

-Ganki

7. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Yikes! That was an explosive development. :p Seriously, I wonder who was behind it and what they hope to gain from it? To remove some obstacles or something even more sinister? [face_thinking] Great update! =D=

8. DountCooku

DountCooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2006
    Wow, that post was a blast (pun intended)! So who's responsible for the explosion, I wonder?

9. Kivas

Kivas Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    Great post,- great switch from calm to chaos.

10. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Scary post... It looks like I missed a posting of this story. Good to see Siri supporting her husband... I bet that Dooku makes an appearance soon.

11. smoke20ts

smoke20ts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    Siri pulled on her robe and tied the sash firmly around her waist.

?You?re going out there like that, are you?? Obi-Wan asked as she started for the door.

?Like what?? Siri looked down over her robed body and found nothing wrong with her appearance. ?I?m covered.?

?It?s just ? well, underneath ? you?re not wearing ??

?Force, Kenobi,? she snorted. ?Qui-Gon is an adult and was married for how many years?? She let out another laugh before leveling a serious look at him. ?I really doubt anyone thinks that Bren?an was conceived of the Force.?

[face_laugh] Loved the banter between Obi-Wan and Siri. It is really nice to see how their relationship has developed and changed over the course of the story to where it is now.

Siri stood to leave, catching sight of the scene outside her window for the first time. ?Force, no,? she mumbled.

Past other windowless buildings and some that leaned dangerously to the side, smoke billowed from the Senate Rotunda. Part of the dome had caved in on one side, the side that Siri realized housed the Senate arena. Siri scrambled for her comlink, only to find static.

Wow! Someone certainly wanted to do some damage and make a statement. I think this is one of those "bad feeling" moments.

Well done! =D=

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked that Obi made sure Qui was there with Siri. He must have had a really bad feeling and then someone/something destroyed part of the Senate. That place is going to be chaos. At least they know that Obi is alive. Hopefully, the others are as well. I have to wonder who did it and why....

I also loved the little things that showed how much a couple Obi and Siri are now.

Great job.

13. Ice1605

Ice1605 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    Just finished a marathon read of this fic, and it is fantastic. I rarely read stories outside of BtS (Nothing against the writers here, that is my favorite era), but I am never disappointed when I do, and this story is no exception. One of the best very-AU fics I have ever read. =D=
    (If it isn't much trouble, could I get a PM update, please?)

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yikes. I thought at first the attempt was on them. Nice long post, but still ended far too soon. :p

15. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    This is a great story! I've been reading for a while, but only recently got over my shyness and started posting. I love this and your other story.

Siri is good for Obi-Wan. She shakes up the very serious and focused Jedi Obi-Wan is in this universe and brings some balance to his life. It's funny and sweet how easily she gets him blushing by wandering about in her bathrobe and allowing him to think amorous thoughts with Qui-Gon right there in the same apartment!:eek: But he has his methods of defense...pouting adorably. ?You?re being mean to me.? ;)

Of course Siri would realize that Obi-Wan was recruiting Qui-Gon to "protect" her which had to chafe a bit. But she accepts it pretty gracefully since she knows it gives Obi-Wan peace of mind while he's facing an already stressful situation.

And then disaster strikes. I hope all of the Jedi and their allies have survived. What are the Sith planning?

Looking forward to more!

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    The Vice Chairman yielded the floor to Chancellor Palpatine. The politician wore a grim expression, his face contrite as he began. ?It has come to my attention through recent audits that there has been a violation of procedure within the Senate. It seems that several years ago, one of our esteemed colleagues who once sat on the budget committee secretly contracted and funded a clone army for the Republic.?

The arena paused in stunned silence, but it was only the calm before the storm.

?You?re about to see ugly,? Padme whispered.

?This body has a right to know who has done this,? Senator Taa bellowed as his pod made its way to the center of the arena. Other voices chimed in with their agreement. ?This individual should answer for a breech of trust.?

?Sadly, Olin Kitab of the Yopurgan delegation passed many years ago.? Palpatine paused, bowing his head for a moment. ?He cannot answer for his actions.?

?Yopurga,? Senator Aak of Malastare began. ?Is that not the delegation attempting to block the Military Creation Act. What are they trying to hide??

?We are trying to hide nothing,? Obi-Wan said, his pod moving forward, senators Windu and Charay at his side. ?We had no knowledge of this.?

?I find that hard to believe,? Taa sneered. ?You were Senator Kitab?s aide and protégé.

?All I can say is that our delegation has agreed to an inquiry and has already cooperated in this investigation by turning all relevant records over to the Chancellor?s office.?

It was the plan that Windu had suggested -- show they had nothing to hide by full cooperation.

?This settles the debate over The Military Creation Act,? Aak chimed in again. ?An army, and I say we put it to use.?

Anakin felt a whoosh of repulsors as their pod headed from the middle of the fray. ?We still must put actually using this army to vote,? Padme said with avid determination. So much for distancing herself from Obi-Wan, but Anakin wasn?t about to say anything. Obi-Wan needed help whether he wanted it or not.

?Why am I not surprised to see you, Senator Amidala,? Taa said with sarcastic pleasantness.

?This is absurd,? Aak shot back. ?We have an army.?

Several more pods raced into the center, side arguments breaking out as senators took sides.

?Use of this army will lead us to a war we do not want,? Obi-Wan said, raising his voice over the growing uproar.

Wonderfully done! =D=

17. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Hope everyone's all right. [face_praying] Wonder who the target(s) was and who is responsible. [face_thinking]

I liked that Qui-Gon agreed to play babysitter for the day. :)

18. L0B0

L0B0 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2008
    Another fantastic update. Your portrayal of Qui-Gon is one of my favorite aspects of this fic, and you do a great job writing him. I'm glad to see Siri taking advantage of a training opportunity like that, I have a feeling she is going to need it.

19. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow.

What now, what now!

Having been enthralled with Shrouded Path, I had to gather up the resolve to read this epic from its start.

Wow. Talk about butterfly effect. One small swerve in history and look at this amazing different, yet familiar, universe that comes about. So skillfully woven. All of the familiar characters, acting IN CHARACTER, though subtly shifted by the altered circumstances.

I love this underground / guerrilla Jedi Order.

Love the brilliantly plotted political intrigue, unfolded bit by bit before our eyes, so intensely intertwined with the fates and relationships of the characters.

And what characters they are, canon and OC alike.

*sigh*

Well I guess you'll have to add one more name to your pm list.

In awe that you can produce TWO amazing, sweeping epics of such caliber, more or less side by side.

Yeah, one more

Wow.

P.S. Xan must be your Loki -- the one so mutable that he is perilous but beautiful hero in Path and beautiful but evil Sith in Time. @};-

20. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    OBI-LOVE - The fun continues and you get your answers about Obi-Wan.

Valairy_Scot - I somehow imagine Siri being the more playful of the two always trying to pull Obi-Wan out of his shell. Yes, he's alive but is having quite a day.

Jaira - Yeah, not quite as planned.

Independence1776 - Yes, I am afraid this is worse than even a bomb directed at Qui and Siri.

Gkilkenny - I always see him as easily embarrassed as well - maybe just me. But Siri was having fun.

Kitara - I am just an evil author, I guess.

obsessedwithSW - I think that is what has made this story on the longer side. While I could have blown through the various plot ideas, I have really wanted to develop the connections between these characters.

Ganki - Yes, we are taking another plot journey here.

obi-ew - I'll give you a few guesses, but you might not need that many. There is something very sinister behind this.

DountCooku - Things that make you go hmmm.

Kivas - I love to lure into a false sense of calm.

Ocelotl_Nesto - It is time to show what our villains are up to.

smoke20ts - I could have moved on with the Senate, but really wanted to show something personal with Obi-Wan and Siri. I think someone wanted to make the Senate feel helpless and vulnerable, at least those that survived.

dianethx - That is a good word for the state of the senate right now - chaos. Obi-Wan is alive and I think he will be able to focus on his situation more knowing that Siri is with Qui-Gon.

Ice1605 - Thanks so much for taking the time to marathon read. I really did not expect it to be this epic when I started.

Healer_Leona - And I suppose this will end too soon also?

nada_smith - Obi-Wan has to have his defense mechanisms married to a woman like Siri and he has to protect her also.

VaderLVR64 - Thanks.

bek - I think the motives behind the attack will become apparent very soon.

LOBO - Siri knows that her family is targeted and is only doing what any wife and mother would.

ratna - I love my Xan, though this is the Xan that scares me. The political intrigue keeps me on my toes with this one, writing it but not making it boring. I like the idea of an underground Jedi order that is not so mixed up in obligations to the Republic. They protect it from the Sith and that is their purpose.

21. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    This post may not answer some questions but I needed to show things from the perspective of those on the inside of the Senate.

I apologize if you did not receive a PM. I am in the process of revising my list.

Chapter 71

?Are you ready for this?? Mace asked.

The Jedi master/Senator?s eyes were calm, searching out the senate arena as he took a seat in the pod next to Obi-Wan. This inquiry could have easily been scheduled in one of the many conference rooms reserved for such use, but apparently some on the committee wanted Obi-Wan to feel small and alone in the middle of the vast Senate arena. It didn?t help that the proceedings were open to observation by other senators.

?Ready to have my reputation publicly dragged through the mud and have every word I say twisted and manipulated? ? I am always up for that,? Obi-Wan replied.

If only the nagging feeling of impending doom would leave him alone. The Force was agitated ? something big was coming. Obi-Wan hadn?t felt such an agitated anticipation in the Force since ? well since before Naboo. History was about to be diverted and the ominous future he had only seen vague flashes of further defined.

Siri had sensed it ? Obi-Wan was sure of it. Perhaps now, he realized they should have discussed it as husband and wife, partners, Jedi ? not avoid the issue.

?Do you sense it?? Mace asked, only to amend his statement. ?Of course you sense it. I truly believe that after Yoda there isn?t a Jedi more sensitive to the Unifying Force than you.?

?Anakin,? Obi-Wan suggested.

?Anakin sees the Force in a way none of us ever will. While he is still finding balance between both ? he favors the Living Force??

?I think everyone senses this. Garen made sure Senate security details were doubled. Apparently, he is worried about an assassination attempt.? Obi-Wan allowed a smile. He had found their discussion early this morning amusing. When weren?t the Sith trying to kill him? ?He?s even pulled Byram away to have a second set of Force senses to help him search out every nook and cranny.?

?If he is concerned of assassination, I am surprised he didn?t want the extra ?Force senses? here.?

?I think he feels that between Adi, Anakin, you and I, we should have it covered.? Obi-Wan glanced up to where he knew Anakin was sitting. While the hearings were open to all senators and many had taken the opportunity to view, Anakin and Padme had chosen seats high in the arena, which kept them somewhat hidden from the commotion.

?Time to get this over with,? Obi-Wan offered cheerfully as he started the repulsors on the pod. The pod jolted before gliding out over the vast emptiness of the arena. Even after nearly a decade in the senate, he still had to remind himself not to look down. He guided the pod down to the lower middle of the arena where a panel of twelve members sat divided between four pods.

Twelve members ? twelve individuals selected from a chorus of thousands to pass judgment on his involvement in the clone army and on the legacy of Olin Kitab. Obi-Wan?s eyes scanned the twelve faces. Bail had apparently called in ever favor and used every ounce of his considerable influence in the senate to keep some higher profile senators off the committee. He had expected to see Senator Aak of Malastare of course, but was relieved that his esteemed cohort and equal pain in the aft quarters from Ryloth was absent. Senator Taa was certain to be watching though. Obi-Wan shifted his attention to Bail, at the other end of the panel. Next to him, Obi-Wan recognized Mon Mothma from Chadrila. Though an independent spirit, she had proved to be like-minded. Adi sat next to her. Those were his three biggest supporters. The rest ? well ? could have been worse.

?Senator Windu, you were not invited to participate in these proceedings,? Senator Aak pointed out immediately. ?You will need to adjourn to the observation area.?

?I am here as legal counsel.? When another one of the senators began to speak, Mace made a waving motion with his

22. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    I liked the way you showed how strongly the Force speaks to Anakin, even in comparison to the other Jedi. It must be difficult when you know danger is coming, but not what the danger is or what to do about it. I guess that's why so much training is required so Jedi don't run around panicking like I would. :p

I'm glad at least our Jedi and their allies in the Senate are okay. But what was the attack about?

?Provided Chancellor Palpatine is alive, he will declare a state of emergency. The government will operate under executive power until the senate is stable again.?

Ah-ha. This is definitely not good. But Anakin noticed Palpatine wasn't there. Will that absence added to his benefitting from the situation make the Jedi suspicious?

Hmmmm...much to think on, there is. Great post!

23. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    This inquiry could have easily been scheduled in one of the many conference rooms reserved for such use, but apparently some on the committee wanted Obi-Wan to feel small and alone in the middle of the vast Senate arena. *resists urge to use sarcasm*

History was about to be diverted and the ominous future he had only seen vague flashes of further defined. Ooh... That sent shivers up my spine.

?I mean that I feel like an army of sand ants is marching around in my skin.?
    ?Okay,? she said hesitantly. ?What does an army of sand ants in your skin actually mean??
    [face_laugh]

He jumped, pulling Bail with him as he wrapped them both in the Force. They fell for a time before Obi-Wan?s feet made contact with something solid. Aware that the object itself was also falling, Obi-Wan pushed off it. They dropped from object to object, slowing their fall until Obi-Wan?s feet finally hit solid ground and they rolled to the floor in heap of senatorial robes. Nice imagery. Let's hope no one saw that...

?Not good,? Obi-Wan mumbled as the pods on the east section of the arena began to slide down the wall. The roar came to an abrupt stop. In the glow of lapping flames that engulfed part of the building, Obi-Wan could see Mace standing, hands outstretched against a frozen wall of cascade. Oh, wow. I can picture this quite clearly in my mind.

Far below them was a mass of twisted pods and shrouded in smoke. Suffering and fear from those trapped and injured swirled into the spiral of ever present darkness that was Coruscant. It was hard to pick out any particular presence. I'm glad there are survivors, but I really don't like this situation.

?Provided Chancellor Palpatine is alive, he will declare a state of emergency. The government will operate under executive power until the senate is stable again.? Well, that answers that. We now know how he'll take over.

Wonderful chapter! It ramps up the tension quite nicely.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ominous indeed - I could feel the tension throughout. So happy to see an update.

25. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    The parallax view.

Adding yet another degree of richness and detail to the story ... not to mention i'm biting my fingernails down to the elbow.
    Love the seismic quality of the event. Really made me feel how BIG it was. I bow down to your imagination

One can only wonder what kind of weapon could do so much damage in one shot.

(P.S. I love your Xan, too. Thank you for sharing him with us all.:) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.