main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For the Wookiee we all loved

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by _therebelforces_, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodlikeEnigma

GodlikeEnigma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2005
    u shud all be ashamed of yourself they shud not have killed off chewie at all he shud have been old and raised a litter of pups

2. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    I know I hated Chewie's death. When the saga changed hands I had hoped that the authors would have done better with Chewie. It was like they forgot he was sentient. Sigh.
    Anyway, I was so mad when they killed Chewie I stopped reading NJO after Vector Prime. From what I hear I don't regret it much either.

3. Rennick

Rennick Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    Chewie's death in Vector Prime, it's something I haven't thought about for a long time now, I try not to because R.A Salvatore is one of my favorite author's and he gets a lot of sithspit for it when he shouldn't

As far as I understand it, George Lucas was given a draft of the plot for NJO, or at least some of it. They wanted to do a major shake-up and show fans things weren't going to stay the same (love it or hate it, that is true) and it was proposed to kill Luke in the opening novel. Lucas liked the idea of shaking things up but gave specific instructions not to kill Luke. The writers responded by asking who? They needed someone that would affect everyone Not everyone is a fan of Kyp Durron or knows who Jacen Solo is. It basically dictated it needed to be someone from the movies. For various reasons, one I'm fairly certain is that with the exception of a few authors, Chewie often comes off as a prop in the background, he got the short straw. They told Salvatore to do it, he responded "But I like Chewie" and they pretty much told him he was under contract.

To get more back on topic, I love Chewbacca, I hate the fact that he died. There's a lot I like about NJO, a lot I hate, and even things that I like that came from what I hate. Chewie's death is something I hate. I wish he was still here and I wish something different happened. But it's not like fans would have been any less displeased if it was Luke or Leia and IMO he got a pretty cool death.

Saves Han, Saves the people, Saves Anakin, and what get's him? Not a Yuuzhan Vong warrior or a Sith Assasin or a 100 stormtroopers, It took an bleeping moon to take the big guy out!

I guess I flip flop on the subject, I love that the NJO tried to shake up the Star Wars universe, whether it passed or failed on that I'll still give Lucas and his authors props for trying, but I'll always miss Chewie.

Rest in peace, Fuzzball.

4. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    I must've reread that passage ten time before I would believe it. Chewie, dead? It couldn't be. But by the end of the book, it became clear: he wasn't coming back.

How could this relative newbie to Star Wars do this? I asked myself. When I later found out that it was Luke who was originally slated to die, I was slightly mollified, but still outraged that they killed off the only non-human major movie character.

I talked with my brother about this later on, after the series was over (he's a big SW fan too, and has read all the books I have). He said it was sad, but he was more saddened when they killed off Anakin. I asked him, why? Why would you be saddened at that moreso than Chewie? And he told me, "Well, Chewie just wasn't important to the stories anymore."

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that he was right. Over the course of the EU, barely any writer has treated Chewie as anything more than Han's guard dog. I guess everyone started to take him for granted.

But I remain more saddened at Chewie's death than Anakin's, because Chewie has been with us since the beginning, and seeing him die felt almost like seeing a real person die (no, I didn't cry, but I came closer to it than I have for any book in years). I understand why the Star Wars people did it, and I forgive them now. And I know this sounds macabre, but I like the effect it had on Han and his family. It made the characters seem more real, how they could be torn apart by death. And after his death, Chewie became much more important than he had been in years. So, I'm reconciled to his death now.

I still miss him, though.

5. Rennick

Rennick Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    I would like to clarify something. The author of Vector Prime, R.A Salvatore, did not make the decision to kill Chewbacca, I'm not sure how much creative control he had over the death but the choice of if it happened or not was not his.

The NJO storyline was drafted out, I'm assuming a few years in advance because Nom Anor appeared in Crimson Empire 2, in this original draft Luke was set to die, GL said no, so they went with Chewie and told Salvatore to kill him. Mr. Salvatore did not want to do it, but writing is his job and he was under contract to write the first novel of the series. Please don't say it was his fault Chewbacca died, if he didn't someone else would have.

I do actually gain some satisfaction from one part of this, look who Chewie replaced, Luke, LUKE SKYWALKER. The point of killing him was to show readers that things were going to get rough. Now yes I'm not arguing that a lot of Authors wrote horrible Chewbacca's, but that they chose to kill him at this point in this way says that LFL knew how important he is to fans.

just my two cents.

6. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    Bless you Chewbacca, you served with dignity and had to go out so firggin' cool, too sad he had to be crushed by a moon.

7. Entala_Harrar

Entala_Harrar Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2004
    getting crushed by a moon was really the only way for Chewie to go out, he had a warrior's spirit, so dying of old age would just be disapointing, and there wasn't any way they could kill him off using actual enemies that he could fight... that would just dishonor him...

8. Gantis

Gantis Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    It's simple. I loved the fact that one of the main characters died. It sucks that it had to happen, but come on. It was getting to the point where it was the same old story, with the same old plot points, with the same old ending. Now we as fans have no clue as to what is going to happen and I as a die hard Star Wars fan love that! It's like reading the Thrawn Trilogy for the first time it's a whole new ball game now folks. What's funny is it pissed me off more when they killed Anakin off. He was slowly becoming more powerful than Luke and more intuned with the Force *sigh* Like I said you never know what will happen....Hah! God I Love Star Wars.

9. eequo

eequo Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Grrr, I never liked Wookiees. Never will.

10. JacenKatarnC3PX

JacenKatarnC3PX Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2005
    Personally, I would rather have had Anakin die earlier and Chewie still be alive. But I noticed sumthing wrong with the movies. I saw some ROTS pictures. AND IT SHOWED WOOKIES WITH FINGERS!!!!! In the Eps IV thru VI, Chewie didn't have any fingers visible.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yet he could fire a blaster, so clearly he had some.

12. liv3

liv3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2004
    the truth is... they couldn't find any Wookies to play in the movie... so they gave a bunch of ewoks stimulents and did the rest with camera angles...
    (if you look closely you can see how much the "wookies" really do resemble overgrown ewoks...)

13. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    I felt sad when I read of Chewie's death in Vector Prime.But then,we'll see him again in ROTS.So rejoice!

Does anyone here can tell me the full name of Chewie's father?I read they call him Itchy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.