For those who can't tie the trilogies together, here is how I do it.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by colivo, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. colivo Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I have had a major problem tying the trilogies together since I have all 6 SW movies on DVD. I can enjoy all 6 movies, but some I love more than others. But this thread isn't for anyone who sees it as one saga, you needn't read on:

I have divided it into 4 parts of the saga:

Part 1: Episode I
    -This is a prologue to the whole saga, this is the jedi in their heyday, the republic at its finest, the finding of the chosen one, the beginning of the rise of the Sith. This is nothing more than a setup to the other movies.

Part 2: Episode II & III
    -This is the story of Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader, and his downfall. This covers two Friends Anakin & Kenobi and their adventures as Jedis, the romance of Anakin & his wife Padme, and the tutoring from his silent mentor, Chancellor Palpatine. This is a personal story of how one goes bad, as the Empire takes over the galaxy

Part 3: Episode IV
    -This is the story of the Rebels vs Empire. This is a simple story of how the rebellion wins their first battle over the empire, who has ruled for twenty years. There are clear good guys: Luke, Leia, and Han, and there are clear bad guys: Vader & Tarkin. This is not a personal story, but a struggle between good vs evil.

Part 4: Episode V & VI
    -This is the story of Luke Skywalker. This story is about Luke becoming a jedi and being tempted in similar ways his father has, and in the process being tempted BY his father. In the end he does not give in, and Vader redeems himself by killing the same man he pledged himself for over 20 years.

As I said, I just connect the two trilogies, for some it works, for me it doesn't. This way I still enjoy the original SW as the standalone movie that it is, and still my favorite. I can enjoy TPM more cause it doesn't seem as distant from AOTC & ROTS anymore cause it is just a prologue, not 100% part of the story, and I can enjoy ESB & ROTJ together as Lukes story cause they were written that way after the original SW was such a success. For some older fans, and seeing 4,5,6 in the theaters, it just aint easy marrying these trilogies, so for anyone who is interested give it a try, you might just enjoy all 6, but don't have to compare them anymore.
  2. -HD-YaebGinn Jedi Knight

star 3
    extremely interesting. I will have to try that out. seeing things in a different mindset is often very enlightening. props.
  3. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Very insightful post, colivo!

I actually look upon the saga in similar terms. It's one story - but it's a fragmented one.

The most obvious one (for me, anyway) is the first divide you've pinpointed. TPM is definitely "the calm before the storm". It's literally the entire saga just being nudged into gear by the machinations of Palpatine and Qui Gon's undying belief in "the Living Force" that takes him to Anakin Skywalker. By film's end, the pieces have been moved into position - ready for characters to start falling into their predictable roles and the galaxy to plummet downwards before slowly rising back up on itself. But there's even more to it than that. TPM is also the theme-announcing chapter that introduces concepts that will stand us in good stead for the remainder of the prequel trilogy and the entire saga: symbiosis, the nature of the Force, midi-chlorians, "the Chosen One", a failing Senate, a flawed Jedi Order and so on. It's really a remarkable chapter and a great prologue.

I agree with your other divides, too. ANH can be seen as the galaxy pulling a "Rocky" - it's just starting to find its feet again after a bunch of savage blows. It's a slow burning tale that climaxes memorably and suggests the Light Side is now gathering the same kind of momentum that the Dark Side once did. Nature abhors an imbalance. She'll have the last laugh. Balance will be attained.
  4. happydudethe3rd Jedi Knight

star 1
    yeah, I agree with the 'prologue' theory of Phantom Menace. I have no problems connecting the others. And there is a precedent for this, though I don't think it was intended: The Hobbit as a prologue of a very different tone to Lord of the Rings.
  5. princessleia911 Jedi Master

star 4
    If you look at colivo's parts, the parts that are most like each other are part 1(TPM) & part 3(ANH) because they are stand alone movie. Also, part 2(AOTC & ROTS) and part 4(ESB & ROTJ) are the most alike because they are Anakin's and Luke's story respectively and both movies need the other to complete it. Other than the 19 years between ROTS and ANH, the 2 trilogies are definately linked and I feel the Saga is one movie in 6 parts.
  6. Darth_Walters Jedi Master

star 4
    Interesting way. But idk its still like a whole other part to me
  7. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Interesting. I'm glad you found a way to make the Sagas work for you.

Another way I looked at it, I-V are all prologues to RoTJ. ;)

Everything is resolved in RoTJ. The good guys topple evil forever. There is an Evil man in black and his powerful son, an even eviler old man, a big weapon, some old dead/dying Jedi, a man in "Carbonite", and a rebellion. Now I want to know where they came from.

Oh, I see, Han was a freelance guy and was going to quit this rebellion. The powerful son of the guy in black wasn't always powerful. He was trained by the green guy Yoda! How does Luke know this other dead guy?

OOOOOOH! Luke was just an ordinary guy before his sister sent those droids to find that that guy that ends up dead. He begins training Luke. He was the evil guy in black's Master at one time! I wonder how that all went down.

OOOOOH, the evil guy at the end of RoTJ wasn't always known as the evil guy. He tricked the guy in the black suit to become bad....

Etc. Etc.

If you start with RoTJ and work your way back, I think that wanting to know "What led up to this" starts to feel more natural.

Personally, I never had a problem with tieing them together, but I think I saw RoTJ before ESB so "Wanting to know what happened" came natural for me.

Carnage
  8. Darth_Walters Jedi Master

star 4
    I still think they should re-do it! whos with me?!?
  9. TOSCHESTATION Force Ghost

star 4

"No! No! No! You will.......!" :p
  10. Tzigone Jedi Knight

Well, I'm going to try a viewing order recommended to me a while back (actually, it was recommended to as viewing order for your friends who've never watched SW and know nothing about it). This weekend I plan to have a myself a SW marathon. I'm going to watch ANH, then ESB, then the prequels, then ROTJ. We'll see how it works out.
  11. DarthWolvo23 Jedi Master

star 4
    I see the saga in three parts:

1. The Republic Part - Episode 1

2. The Clone Wars Part - Episodes 2 to 3 (including clone wars cartoons)

3. The Empire Part - The OT

To me TPM is like a prequel to the prequels

12. CAPTAIN_CHOLO Jedi Knight

star 1
    Honestly, I don't find it hard to tie both trilogies ...

It is clear that the first three parts of the saga were not only about the Republic and the Jedi, but specifically about a young Jedi named Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side and became a Sith Lord, ruling the galaxy along with the Emperor.

The last three parts are about the struggle of the Rebel Alliance against the Empire ... And how Darth Vader was redeemed by his son, who became a Jedi Knight.

Both trilogies are tied in because of three main characters: Obi Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and the Emperor ...

Their role is significant for both trilogies ...
  13. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    I dont agree completely with how you do it but I love the idea of 2 and 3 being combined ( add Clone Wars, too ). They really could be perceived as one story arc if you were so inclined.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.