For those wondering

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stinrab, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    If anyone was wondering why I'm all uncoloured, this is what has basically gone down:

* PhillipWise (majority owner of TFN) ordered all mods to supply him with their personal details (name, physical address, telephone number, etc.) via a site which wasn't even secure. If we didn't do so, we would be demoted without question. Not only that, we weren't given a reason for having to give this information.

* As a result of RL busy-ness, i've been offline for the past two days. I came online today to see all this happening. I was basically given an hour to comprehend it all. Since I didn't agree to the conditions straight away, I was demoted. As were dozens of other mods. The forums are currently in a state of semi-anarchy.

* Windy, as far as I know, is still a mod. So you will have him still, thankfully.

So, I guess that's that. I'm not going to give someone my personal details in this insecure fashion (especially with all the JC hackers around), especially when we aren't even given the decency of a reason why. I've been a moderator at this site since 1999, and a moderator of 3NS for about two years now and I wasn't even given a warning; was just demoted like that. Not even given a VIPship. No respect, whatsoever. I don't want to work for someone like that.

Thank you guys for all the fun. This is truly the greatest community on all of the JC (and, dare I say, the web itself) and it's been a pleasure to moderate. At least you guys are in good hands with Windy still aboard.

See you around.
  2. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm starting a thread to support Stinrab and our other beloved mods in their time of trouble.

Y'all should post there.
  3. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I have been lurking in here a bit, if not the occasional post.

Feel free to PM me if you need mod help when Windy is not on.

Certainly stinrab did not deserve this.
  4. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That bites, Stin. Hard.

~~~Spoiler & Trailer Free Til Episode 3!~~~
    ...in the Emporer's S.E.C.R.E.T. S.E.R.V.I.C.E.

~I support the Mods, RSA's and FF~
  5. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    As I said on AIM, Andrew, it was really unfair what they did to everyone. Its complete crap, if you ask me. Though, your last post in the MS thread was great (too bad I can't repeat it here for more reasons than one...). ;)

I posted this in a couple other threads earlier, and I think I should post it here as well...

Sadly, its all true. I may have not always agreed with all the administration (as I'm sure you all know), but this is uber-crap, and I feel sorry for each and every mod who has to go through this. I've read virtually every post in the Comms thread, I've read...other info ;) ... and its truly a rought time for these forums right now.

I think that we all should try our best to get along--and to not cause trouble. I don't think any of you would (hopefully), but the more trolling and spamming and flaming people do, the more work for the mods, and the less chance of the forums succeeding.

I have a lot of friends here, some of which I may not ever be able to contact again if the JC shuts down, due to private messages being the only communication option.

So I would personally suggest making sure you have links to any off site boards for any groups you are involved with. Usually, people are friends with members of their groups, and if anything were to ever happen, you could meet up there. Keep an eye out for other Star Wars forums to visit (*cough*my sig*cough) if you wish to continue discussing Star Wars. I'm sure that some would welcome you and probably your group with open arms if you show up and post respectfully.

Hopefully nothing to the extent that is being speculated will happen, but if you care about the online community of these forums, then I hope you would all be prepared for a worst case scenario.
  6. Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm so sorry Stinrab. What Philip did was terrible and I really do feel bad for all of you.

You did a great job with these message boards and us members will not forget the service that all of you mods did for us.

Seldon
  7. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I really don't have many words to say, right now. The events of the past 48 hours have been both shocking and hurtful at the same time. I can't step away and I can't back down. I don't know what I'd do if I were to loose this place.

stinrab, working with you was an absolute pleasure, and my heart sunk deeply when I saw yours upon the list of names that had been demoted. Of all the mods, admins and managers, I wanted to see you go least of all. Over the past few years, we've had a wondeful working relationship, and I am really going to miss your hard work and companionship. I always knew that if I wasn't going to be around, you'd have by back, and you were always willing to carry the burden of the forum soley on your shoulders. I hope you remain fairly active.

To the 3NS regulars, there is a time for grief and there is a time to move on. While it is now still appropriate to grieve and be upset, even angry, there will come a time in the near future when we must move on and recognize that we post here in anticipation for the next Star Wars film, and that can't change. We can't let Phil beat us. This is THE BEST time to be a Star Wars fan. We need to enjoy it. I am going to do everything in my power to ensure that this board will run as smoothly as it ever has. There are other mods and admins as well who will be willing to help us out if a major spoiler gets posted. We will stay safe and we most certainly will enjoy the building excitement over the release of Episode III! :D

:) Mace Windy,
    too windy for words!
  8. Stridarious Jedi Knight

star 6
    Mace Windy: "To the 3NS regulars, there is a time for grief and there is a time to move on. While it is now still appropriate to grieve and be upset, even angry, there will come a time in the near future when we must move on and recognize that we post here in anticipation for the next Star Wars film, and that can't change. We can't let Phil beat us. This is THE BEST time to be a Star Wars fan. We need to enjoy it. I am going to do everything in my power to ensure that this board will run as smoothly as it ever has. There are other mods and admins as well who will be willing to help us out if a major spoiler gets posted. We will stay safe and we most certainly will enjoy the building excitement over the release of Episode III! :D "

Well stated Windy ;) . If we surrender, then he wins, and our works here were in vein. But if we continue on as we had, though its a deep cut to our hearts, then we win. And personally, I would very much like to win this side of the issue, if all else fails :) . Call it my sweet revenge to Phil [face_devil] .
  9. Captain_Typho Jedi Master

star 5
    Does someone have a list of the mods who were demoted?
  10. KaaShamau Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Communications/b10006/15061378/?2]Comms thread[/link].

:(
  11. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree that we need to let life move on and not let Phillip win.

-Jedi Master and Mod Supporter Zax Starwalker
  12. Stridarious Jedi Knight

star 6
    Master_Starwalker: "I agree that we need to let life move on and not let Phillip win."

Also though, we should not stay silent at the same time ;) . If that made any sense at all! 8-}
  13. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm very sorry about this, Andrew. :(
  14. classixboy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The shroud of the dark side is falling, y'all.

This Phil guy sounds like a conservative tyrant.

Given that Star Wars champions democratic values, shouldn't this site be a place open to ideas and free of totalitarian control?

This is why I no longer post in the lit. forum -=- insane conservative thought-police.

Rise up.

Or find alternative sites.
  15. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight

star 6
    You've been modding longer than anyone else in JC history, stinky. It won't be fun to see you go. I hope you'll stick around.
  16. Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [obi_wan] I feel a great disturbance in the force[/obi-wan}

To the 3NS regulars, there is a time for grief . . .
    And during times of grief it is important to rally around those who we love and be strong for them. I have been here a relatively short period of time, and have a viewed a couple of the other forums, but I always thought we had the best two mods. This is really annoying me. What also annoying me, from checking out the communications, this has something to do w/ the spoilers, talking about f'n irony.

But remember we cannot run and hide, for then the darkside will truely have won.
  17. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm not leaving this forum. I'll still be around regardless of the overall outcome. I'm still sort of negotiating with certain higher-ups to see if a compromise can be reached. We'll see, I guess.

Thank you all for your support. And, I agree with Windy (as per usual), we shouldn't let this get us down too much. Eventually, we'll have to move on.
  18. lexu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If you don't like the unfair treatment mods like stinrab were given, politely and reasonably let TF.N owner Phil Wise know. philip@rebelscum.com :)
  19. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sorry to see this happen. Stinrab, you were a damn good mod.
  20. Padlei Jedi Master

star 4
    :( That sucks. That's all there is to say. [face_plain]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.