main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For Your Consideration: A Fully-Themed Star Wars Space Flight Combat Simulator

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by manderson99, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manderson99

manderson99 Jedi Knight

Feb 7, 2009
    Greetings readers of the Saga Forum. I'd like to thank the administrative staff here for allowing me to post on this subject. I'd also like to give a shout-out to the Chattoine Outer Rim Lookouts for their feedback on matters related to this subject.

Not long ago, I had an idea for an amusement facility centered on a massive computerized space combat flight simulator based on content from the Star Wars universe. With help from the Tennessee Small Business Development Center and quite a bit of work on my own, I even composed a business plan. The plan itself and a decent-enough telling of the story behind the plan can be found here. It's a bit of a long read but it's worth it.

Now that the business plan is released under a Creative Commons license, you are free to discuss, reproduce, or modify the document however you wish, either for commercial or non-commercial purposes. You can creative derivative documents or projects however you like. All I want is credit for having written the original. The best part is that this is not an "open source" license, meaning that any work derivative of my original need not be licensed under the same terms.

Or, to put it another way, my project now belongs to all the people of the world. You, or someone you know, could complete the project on their own terms without involving me in any way, shape, or form. Any number of competitive projects could be started based on this document. Or people could just have fun thinking about how cool it would (or would not) be and sit around talking about it all day. Totally up to you.

The only restriction on discussion here is one that is self-imposed: I removed all references to Mr. Lucas' intellectual property from my document so as to avoid attachment of a Creative Commons license to anything related to or referring to his IP. I'm sure you can at least guess at some of the ways I intended to use his IP. In keeping with the spirit of my decision to omit content related to Mr. Lucas' property from my document, I shall refrain from "filling in the blanks" in public, but that doesn't mean that you can't.

I may elect to make oblique references to his IP, but in the end, if you want to know more about what I had in mind, I'll try to stick to strategies I had in mind for the simulator itself while avoiding specific references to Mr. Lucas' IP.

If you want to know more about why I released the document the way I did, why the project failed, or anything else, feel free to ask. I'll answer as best I can.

But, in the mean time . . . what do you think? Do you think it's a good idea? Would you like to see someone (not me, I'm afraid) build this? And would you want the Star Wars franchise attached to it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.